Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

my favorite part about this is all the weather apps, including the iOS weather app, that are just taking model output and using it as forecast data, so they have absolutely hilarious long range forecasts

So you mean it WON'T be murderously hot in the Great Lakes when I'm back from Atlanta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Level 8 alert? That feels like two many alert levels on that scale.

Who could possibly remember that many different levels of alert!

That's what you get with the metric system.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

sorry, idalia. franklin likes men.

https://wgme.com/news/local/tropical-tango-hurricane-franklin-set-absorb-tropical-storm-jose-due-fujiwhara-effect-by-weekend

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

haboob in phoenix

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

hifi posted:

haboob in phoenix

In the summer? Shocking.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cat Wings posted:

Pshhhh yah there's no way the temperature will be 2 degrees higher! That would mean the climate is changing and we all know that's not happening!

Looks like Idalia is going directly for the Bermuda hit.

and then loop around and take out Nova Scotia

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

hifi posted:

haboob in phoenix

it's the dust bowl! it's supposed to be there!

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT5QSEmWwYs

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://x.com/surfskiweather/status/1697217562742817016?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hong Kong braced for a hard pounding

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

the end of this one will haunt you

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the end of this one will haunt you

should i have turned the sound on?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
sorry i didn't mean the clip, the documentary in general

It's a guy who grew up during the dust bowl talking about how we ended up resolving the crisis by tapping the aquifers, and how in the long run that may have been a bad thing because we never REALLY made any kind of harmony with the environment that we caused a crisis in - we just doubled down on extracting as many resources as possible from it. And then he goes on to talk about how the aquifers we thought would provide for us forever are now starting to run dry, and he'll have to explain to his great grand-children that we used all the water growing corn to feed the pigs.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If the models are consistently too hot weeks out why don't they just fix the model? Morons

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Woke Mind Virus posted:

If the models are consistently too hot weeks out why don't they just fix the model? Morons

They will, but it's complex enough that it will take a few years to get it implemented correctly.

quote:

The tentative plan is to have GFSv17 in operations prior to the summer of 2026. There really isn't any way to accurately determine potential delays to v17 if a fix is prepared for v16, but my guess is that we could potentially be talking about a delay of 9-12 months. The issue is that any change to v16 would require a lot of work from the land-sfc team and the physics team, both of which are heavily engaged with GFSv17 work (which includes a new land-sfc model). Potentially altering the land-sfc model, the GLDAS, and the PBL scheme would take people from at least 4 groups (land-sfc, physics, data assimilation, and verification/validation) away from GFSv17 development to build mitigation strategy for v16, test it, run a series of retrospective runs (as performance would need to be assessed over long periods in all seasons), and assess those. A field evaluation would be required. That all adds up on the calendar pretty quickly

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

saintonan posted:

They will, but it's complex enough that it will take a few years to get it implemented correctly.

Listen nerd, just subtract 10.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Which one is this?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

they’re having a little party out there

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

oh poo poo they gonna go Voltron on our rear end

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

if a storm named Gert killed me I'd be so embarassed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

national typhoon's gert wilders

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

El Burbo posted:

(..)

At least someone is appreciating climate change :unsmith:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
saudi arabia loves their big tile floors that look slippery as poo poo

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

What if we were wrong about hypecanes? What if instead we get forevercanes, just meandering around and punching the mainland and islands every 7-14 days?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

What if we were wrong about hypecanes? What if instead we get forevercanes, just meandering around and punching the mainland and islands every 7-14 days?

¿porque no los dos?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Didn’t that basically happen in the Indian Ocean recently? A cyclone just bounced around the basin for a month and hit Africa like twice.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

if Jupiter can do it so can we

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

skooma512 posted:

Didn’t that basically happen in the Indian Ocean recently? A cyclone just bounced around the basin for a month and hit Africa like twice.

mozambique at least got hit hard by a TS last year. I imagine malawi and Zimbabwe did too

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Earlier this year, yeah, though it was mostly just bouncing between Madagascar and Mozambique

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Freddy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Harik posted:

how's that any different than newsom's california? Or biden's america, for that matter? Let's not pretend in cspam that capitalist brutality is a partisan issue.

State Farm is still writing policies in California.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

State Farm is still writing policies in California.

Not for fire!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Happy that my tiny spot remains consistently yellow

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FRANKLIN
here I come
devastatin' the trop

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/zoom_earth/status/1697753015459905582#m

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

titty_baby_ posted:

Happy that my tiny spot remains consistently yellow

if your spot remains consistently yellow for more than 4 models please call your meteorologist

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Weathermageddon: No way Jose

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Jesus Horse posted:

As I polish my teeth with nylon and spit down the drain...

i wonder if plushies / other soft nylon/polyester things emit hella microplastics when cuddled

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

AEMINAL posted:

i wonder if plushies / other soft nylon/polyester things emit hella microplastics when cuddled

lol holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

AEMINAL posted:

the poly fill doesn't really burst out when squished, but if it's leaking out of the plushie, hell yes. that poo poo is a soft mass of microplastics.