Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

I had so many legit laugh out loud moments throughout this watch but Carmela's face after her conversation with Charmaine in the penultimate episode made me lose it

Love Carm throwing her own kids under the bus. "Yeah, but you need empathy and does that come naturally to Meadow?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ulvir posted:

the one Bucco-esque hand gesture that really mystifies me, is the way he starts pretending to scribble with a pen above his head when Carmella brags about Meadow considering "constitutional law"

I do this every time I hear someone's gonna become a lawyer. Nobody gets it but it cracks me up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Silvio reading "How to Clean Practically Anything: Third Edition (Featuring A Stain Removal Chart For All Fabrics)". :kiddo:
I saw that book in a thrift store and bought it because of that scene

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp1m5xpa6Sg&t=7s

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I just finished Difficult Men and it was pretty interesting for the insights about the Sopranos and how it was created. David Chase comes off as an rear end in a top hat though and it is quite funny seeing his absolute disdain for tv series given how his post-Sopranos film career has turned out.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
He’s angry that he’s only good at tv and considers it low art

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn’t the whole deal that his original intention for what ended up as The Sopranos that it was written as a movie and the studios weren’t interested in that?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

If it looked anything like TMSoN they were right not to be!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It could have been as simple as “no, we already have a movie about a mafia boss seeing a psychiatrist in production”

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Dokapon Findom posted:

If it looked anything like TMSoN they were right not to be!

"Hey Chasey! "Many Saints" - I liked it!"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Pirate Radar posted:

It could have been as simple as “no, we already have a movie about a mafia boss seeing a psychiatrist in production”

Cmon, it's a fuckin comedy!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasn't Chase told mob movies weren't in at the time?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, and he wrote that into D-Girl when Amy is trying to dismiss Christopher. Something like “Based on the domestic box office for Mickey Blue Eyes all mob movies are wait-and-see”

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Tbf it is/was pretty overdone and the stuff that came out trying to ride the crest of the Sopranos' popularity only served to highlight that there really wasn't any more meat on that bone

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was impossible to make a good classic gangster movie after Once Upon a Time in America. The contemporary gangster film was still open but that is a much reduced idea space.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched the sopranos for the first time last month, figured I'd cross post my "review" (not much of a review though, more a reflection on the nature of prestige TV and the passage of time) from the GBS film/TV gen chat thread, on two parts

part 1:

kalel posted:

I finished the sopranos

my review: it was good. thanks for reading

part 2:

kalel posted:

the most interesting part of the sopranos for me was how the war on terror subtly influenced the story, worming its way into the background of the world until it became a major part of the final season. ignoring any other qualities, it's pretty remarkable as a time capsule of the attitude of that era.

this whole time I've been watching, I couldn't help myself but compare it to mad men—for my money, the greatest TV show I've seen. The storytelling style and seasonal arc structure are very similar, so it's no surprise they share creative teams. what makes them different is that while mad men is simply a (very faithful) recreation, facsimile, imitation of a bygone era, sopranos took place in the time that it was made. Which makes it all the more impressive how narratively cohesive it ended up being, and how naturally the themes evolved in the background of a very transformative era in america's history. while I still think mad men is the more well constructed show, I suspect in this specific comparison that my opinion is only by virtue of the fact that the time in which it took place already happened—the writers knew which events happened when, and could hit those themes to the beat of history as precisely as they wanted. sopranos, meanwhile, had to act as a conduit for the zeitgeist as it evolved, which means there was probably a lot of pressure to toe the line politically due to the very controversial nature of 9/11, the subsequent invasions in the Middle East, and the war on terror. not to mention having to integrate and compensate for new technology, such as DNA tracking, cell phones, personal computers, and the internet.

(it's also definitely one of the funniest shows ever made. I can't remember the last time I cry laughed but the scenes of Chris and friends planning what became "Cleaver" were all gold and I still find myself laughing about them as they pop in my head from time to time.)

but it makes me sad a little, to not have experienced the show as it happened while living in the time it was made, as I did breaking bad for example. Because now I can only experience it in comparison to other things: other television shows, my expectations based on reputation, my memories of my personal experience during that time. It's difficult for me to accept it on its own terms; I can only see it now after it's already been assessed to be a classic. and, also, I'm sad that a talent like gandolfini is gone.

I'm not sure whether I want to touch many saints of newark. I feel like the show ended exactly as it needed to end, and I'm not interested in a cameo fest with a bunch of younger versions of characters I'd already invested in and followed to the end. I'm content to let this sit in my mind for a little bit and see what it does in the background while I'm not looking.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

kalel posted:

I watched the sopranos for the first time last month, figured I'd cross post my "review" (not much of a review though, more a reflection on the nature of prestige TV and the passage of time) from the GBS film/TV gen chat thread, on two parts

part 1:

part 2:

You can definitely give MSoN a pass. It's a weird mess and there's very little of value in it. The best thing I can say about it is it doesn't really tarnish the Sopranos legacy at all and is easily ignored. Though, I found Michael Gandolfini did a really impressive impression of his father in a small role, that's it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

loling at pages 179+ itt

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
buying orange juice at the store today, looking at the cheap gallons and saying out loud "this one says no pulp, I like some pulp"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I like the Grovestand one that he's complaining about. Give me lots of pulp!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dokapon Findom posted:

I like the Grovestand one that he's complaining about. Give me lots of pulp!

Yeah that one is my favourite too, Tony's a dumbass

I also don't like my ice cream to be all soupy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of my favorite little touches is how Tony attacks his food. He stabs at it and moves it around like he's angry with the process.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of my favorite little touches is how Tony attacks his food. He stabs at it and moves it around like he's angry with the process.

Per Michael Gandolfini, it was his actor's cheat to minimize how much he'd eat on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMNzBhB6H0&t=825s

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mike N Eich posted:

Though, I found Michael Gandolfini did a really impressive impression of his father in a small role, that's it.

he's always bein' accushed

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t the whole deal that his original intention for what ended up as The Sopranos that it was written as a movie and the studios weren’t interested in that?

Yeah, he had been writing a movie since the early 90s about a mobster in therapy and basically just pulled most of it from his own life. His relationship with his mother, the therapist he was seeing at the time etc.
At some point it then got turned into a tv show, since I guess studios kept passing on it and eventually HBO picked up the pilot but took so long to actually order the show that he was considering going to them and asking for more money to turn the pilot into a full length movie and just leave it at that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

JethroMcB posted:

Per Michael Gandolfini, it was his actor's cheat to minimize how much he'd eat on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMNzBhB6H0&t=825s

and his weight gain across the series was still drastic

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I hate to even think about it, but every time I see or even think about that episode, I wonder just how horrifically painful it is to have RAID sprayed directly into your eyeballs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I appreciate that it takes a while for Tony to recover too. So many other shows and movies have people just shrug off something like that but Tony immediately starts retching and washing his eyes, and then looks terrible and has to stay away from light.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
On the bright side, Tony sure didn't have bugs in his eyes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don’t give me your fuckin’ Manson lamps.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ahm ohl school, Jehniss

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He's got tremendous moxie for his size.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t give me your fuckin’ Manson lamps.

I really want to know if this line was improvised or if it was written. It slips in under the radar but is so real.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

MrMojok posted:

I hate to even think about it, but every time I see or even think about that episode, I wonder just how horrifically painful it is to have RAID sprayed directly into your eyeballs.

I think I saw a goon once recommend one do this so you don't tear up when you cut up onions.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Michael Imperioli is making a movie about the infamous Chelsea Hotel in NYC.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/michael-imperioli-met-with-witch-to-get-summer-of-sam-made/

Looks pretty good.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The roof is soft tar!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MFJwuTZII

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Robert Iler got the best one. It also took me way too long to realize they dubbed in that awkward riff for each entrance to avoid copyright strikes for whatever the original 5-second clip of music was.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8jHvaY3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear