Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Should be a wipe today! Get ready to grind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Playing before the wipe has me really frustrated with the game. I don't like being fed to geared teams as content. PVP with losable gear is a feedback loop where the rich get richer. I'm not learning anything about how to play better in the 5 seconds it takes to get ganked because I had the misfortune of being in a room big boys walked through. The euphoria of winning a team fight is not worth having to spend 20 minutes doing a boring dungeon crawl first when I can play any other game and have the fun of a fight much more frequently.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

If your goal is mainly learning map layout, you should 110% roll a rogue and take invis + smoke + moving while stealthed + doublejump and just avoid all combat. You can become very very annoying to chase/kill and can get away from most teams.

Yeah, you're not gonna get much if anything in the way of loot, nor will you really be learning combat, but at least you'll be learning the layouts and stealing a portal from someone else and consigning them to death via swarm/hell.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also, using that rogue layout just tells people that you aren't worth chasing. It's just not worth the frustration. You'll get out with a little loot but nothing like a normal run. But your k/d ratio can get pretty high when you git gud.

Look out for fights among other players and you might get a chance to pick the last man standing off or loot what's left after a battle. And steal someones portal fast.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
definitely liked playing my rogue more lately, their perks are just so varied and all of them are good and there's just a lot of different ways to play them. you can 2 tap people or you can avoid most combat and still feel good

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I made the change from trying to play killy rogue to purely stealy rogue and it's breathed new life into the game for me.

I'm not entirely sold on the slightly-too-slow combat and movement in this... but it DOES play perfectly into turning the game into Thief: Online Edition, where I can lurk around, turn out lights, steal the torches people throw at me, and then come back when they think it's safe to rifle through their pockets.

No, the loot isn't usually amazing, but robbing people while they are busy fighting or even having a nice campfire snooze is fantastic, and I have better luck doing it than I ever did trying to fight enemies with the rogue's godawful starting weapons.

When you get a rapier, it opens up a world of cheese potential for killing almost any mob, but I could just run around and loot inanimate chests and both animated varieties, then steal a portal to escape.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
**Early Access Wipe #1**
Hi @everyone, The Early Access Wipe #1 Update will commence at <t:1693245600>. 
When the patch starts, you will not be able to login to the game and players in-game will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool during this time. Players in a match or in-game will have 30 minutes to complete the match and exit safely.  The servers will return to full service 2 hours after the start of the patch.

All character levels, items, gold, and skills have been reset. This first wipe occurred much sooner than we expected due to challenges we faced from exploiters. We have learned from this experience and have updated the game and our services to be more robust against these adversaries. In the future, it is our hope to have more time between the Early Access wipes and to give more ample notification. 

We also want to let you know how we plan to use this Early Access period going forward. We will be doing frequent balance updates during the upcoming weeks as we adapt and learn from your feedback. We hope that together we can find the right sweet spot in supporting multiple paths of having fun. 

Finally, we are thrilled to announce the return of VoIP. We hope you enjoy screaming to your hearts delight in the dungeons.

**Patch Notes:**
- All spells Attribute Bonus Ratio returned to 100%.
- The All Attributes random modifiers can now go up to +3.
- All potions now heal for 15 hp. The required duration for the potion decreases as the grade improves.
- Improved the ratio of recoverable health from 0.5 to 0.65 for taken damage.
- All bandages now take a base time of 5.5s to apply but heals varying amounts of recoverable health based on the grade.
- Regular Interaction Speed bonus is applied at only 50% bonus when using a Surgical Kit or Bandage.
- Francisca Axe price reduced from 24 to 18 and Hunting Trap price increased from 7 to 10.
- Bard’s Accelerando 5/8/11 -> 5/7/9
- Bard’s Allegro 3%/5%/7% -> 3%/4.5%/6%
- Bard’s Shriek of Weakness -10/-25/-40 -> -10/-20/-30
- Wizard’s Zap 1s -> 1.25s
- QuaterStaff MoveSpeed Penalty -35 -> -30
- Zweihander MoveSpeed Penalty -50 -> -45
- High Roller entrance fee will be kept at 50 gold for now.
- The gold hoard has been removed from the Ruins map.

**Developers Comment:**
We have decided to revert the spell attribute ratio back to 100% after realizing that a universal nerf to all spells in this manner was too broad a change and made it difficult to easily gauge the effectiveness of bonus magic stats on items. We have reverted the change and will attempt to use a more surgical approach to spell balancing in the future. As you can see, this update we have started with a slight debuff to the Wizard’s Zap spell to try testing this approach. We will continue making changes to more spells in the upcoming weeks in a similar manner.

We have also decided to try a new approach to the healing items which we hope makes it a little more palatable for solo and newer player players while still hopefully reducing the need to bring in an excessive amount of consumables. Bandages will still only apply to recoverable health, however we hope they have more application through the increased amount of recoverable health you keep. Potions have been updated so they heal for a set 15 HP and the duration is variable now based on the grade. 

Finally, we have started some general balance changes to the Bard and some weapon changes. We believe the Bard is still in a fairly strong position and wanted to reduce the upper end of some of their more powerful songs. We understand that we may have gone overboard with the nerf hammer and we’ll also look into trying to make some of the more underused items a little more viable. We have started with some of the most unpopular weapons and will continue on this path for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

hell yeah theyre bringing voip back with the wipe

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
All great changes. These devs really know how to patch, hotfix and even balance on a level of understanding that this is EA so just test, test, test, wipe, test more. I like what they are doing.

That gold hoard change is pretty big too. RMTers were using it like crazy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

ShowTime posted:

All great changes. These devs really know how to patch, hotfix and even balance on a level of understanding that this is EA so just test, test, test, wipe, test more. I like what they are doing.

That gold hoard change is pretty big too. RMTers were using it like crazy.

I was looking forward to pickpocketing hoard looters, too.
Oh well - will have to go to the Hell bossroom instead!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Really want to make zweihander work so it's nice for it to get a little buff. Horseman's axe is the meta way to play barb but it doesn't feel right not one shotting someone with a big swing or slash.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CLARPUS posted:

hell yeah theyre bringing voip back with the wipe

Get a soundboard, and in it, load the trap being placed noise, and the trap bring spring noise. Non-zero chance that just the noise will either keep the team stacked up on the other side of that door, or cause them to clown car in because they think you're easy meat.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

There's lots of dirty stuff you could do with a soundboard to misdirect people.

Feet walking away, bandage or potion applying, bard songs, various abilities casting/charging, ranger wasting the tripleshot, a crowwbow shooting and hitting wall/door and starting its long reload, etc.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 29, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's pretty gross how many people are already blued/purpled up. Been wiped by three teams so far that had gear way out of whack with what I'd think people could have like three hours after a wipe.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sushibandit posted:

There's lots of dirty stuff you could do with a soundboard to misdirect people.

Feet walking away, bandage or potion applying, bard songs, various abilities casting/charging, ranger wasting the tripleshot, a crowwbow shooting and hitting wall/door and starting its long reload, etc.

The trick would be getting it to sound just right. Though I suppose all that would need is a quiet spot on the map and a team mate nearby to make the recordings with.

Footsteps moving around and running away would be a really useful one. My solo ruins ranger could be a lot funnier if I sound like a three stack of fighters in full plate.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's pretty gross how many people are already blued/purpled up. Been wiped by three teams so far that had gear way out of whack with what I'd think people could have like three hours after a wipe.

A single gobbos raid to get 100g for vendor trash gear, then a high roller or two is all you'd need to get a decent set of gear, especially now that it's only 50g per team wipe.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

bard luck still hasn't been nerfed and they can unlock all chests super fast, which also lets them snowball in gobbo caves especially (assuming they can fight with falchion and or xbow)

e: also it's easy to kill champs and wraiths and stuff and they can drop crazy good loot, and golden chests too

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
i watched a streamer die to a cheater in a HR game, getting 1 tapped by a naked grey arming sword. spectated and there were 3 of them all teaming together in GC. I really hope they do something before this game ends up like the Cycle, a warning for cheating is ridiculous. immediate ban

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

We'll be releasing the next hotfix patch when it's ready, about a day from now. This hotfix will Include updates that remove several known vulnerabilities, including damage hacks. Additionally, a new balance patch will be applied to items and we will be testing duo match making.

hey speak of the devil

also duo stuff is...okay I guess?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My best series of games was playing Barb with one of you goons as Cleric.
We loving cleaned house and only lost to the third person in a very geared party after clearing like 6 matches in a row.
Duos is Fun - and I think a slight advantage over trios with the support only having to mind 1 target.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

DarkDobe posted:

My best series of games was playing Barb with one of you goons as Cleric.
We loving cleaned house and only lost to the third person in a very geared party after clearing like 6 matches in a row.
Duos is Fun - and I think a slight advantage over trios with the support only having to mind 1 target.

That was maybe me? SaintBludgington

Yes those games were a ton of fun. I’ll maybe be playing again tonight (saw you last night in the discord but didn’t get a chance to jump on).

Duos is good primarily because it means we (goons) can play together while waiting for a 3rd without feeling suboptimal. I bet duos will be extremely popular actually.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

i watched a streamer die to a cheater in a HR game, getting 1 tapped by a naked grey arming sword. spectated and there were 3 of them all teaming together in GC. I really hope they do something before this game ends up like the Cycle, a warning for cheating is ridiculous. immediate ban
the only fps-like game in existence afaik that does a decent job combatting cheaters is valorant. any other type of actually existing solution has been doomed to failure.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Battlebit regularly bans a shitton of people it even sends a message to everyone playing the game.

Ruggan posted:

Duos is good primarily because it means we (goons) can play together while waiting for a 3rd without feeling suboptimal. I bet duos will be extremely popular actually.

I was eh on duos at first because I think they've split up the playerbase too much as it is but it means no buffballs so that's a positive. Also be better as a solo if you can queue into it since 2v1 isn't a tall order as a barbarian but 3v1only works out in my favor if I get lucky or they're very very bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 31, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
**Early Access Hotfix #8**
@everyone, 
We will be doing the hotfix #8 update starting at <t:1693499400>. 
When the patch starts, you will not be able to login to the game and players in-game will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool during this time.
Players in a match or in-game will have 30 minutes to complete the match and exit safely. 
The servers will return to full service 2 hours after the start of the patch.

quote:

**Patch Notes:**
- As an experiment, ‘The Ruins’ map can now only be accessed by solo and duo teams.  
- The weapon damage gap between the different grades has been reduced.
- Slight damage reduction to Stiletto Dagger, Short Sword, Rapier, Horseman's Axe, Falchion, and Crossbow.
- Slight damage increase to Zweihander, Wizard Staff, Halberd, Felling Axe, and Bardiche.
- Large damage increase to Viking Sword and Kris Dagger.
- Higher quality lanterns have a lower move speed penalty.
- Rogue’s Caltrops ability cooltime reduced from 24 → 12s,
- Rogue’s Caltrops ability slow duration increased from 2 → 3s,
- Rogue’s Caltrops ability count reduced from 6 → 4.
- The Ruins' final triple blue portal has been changed to 2 single blue portals.
- One blue portal in normal Goblin Cave near the end has been removed.
- Fixed an issue where the Buckler could not benefit from perks related to the Fighter's Shield.
- Fixed an issue that could cause too much damage to be calculated at once.
- Fixed several known crashes.
- As an experiment, we have removed the entrance fee for the High Roller dungeons.
- The Trading Post and High-Roller features are locked behind a 120-hour time gate for accounts less than 5 days old.

**Developer Comments**
As an experiment, we have decided to convert The Ruins map into a Duos matchmaking pool, as it was one of the top requested features on the ‘Suggestions’ board on our website. We plan to continue tweaking the settings including the starting playing counts, portal counts, map size, and dark swarm timings based on your feedback. We are also experimenting with removing the entrance fee for the High Roller dungeons since going into these dungeons is already high-risk without the added cost.

We’ve also started our first pass on reducing some of the gear gap between items because this issue has basically been unaddressed since Alpha playtest 4. Whereas weapons could previously more than double their damage going from junk to unique quality, we have compressed the damage range so most weapons now max out around 60-70% damage improvement from the lowest to highest quality. We used the uncommon/rare grade as the pivot point for the rebalance with a greater emphasis on the low end, so junk, poor, and common items will do more damage while epic, legendary, and unique weapons will do less than before.

We have also locked some game features behind time gates to make it more difficult and costly for exploiters to access these vectors of undesirable behaviors before they are caught. Accounts that are less than 5 days old must wait for a timer to countdown after their first login before they will be able to access the Trading Post or the High Roller dungeons. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes to legitimate players who need to wait out the timer, but we hope this will make a real impact on creating a much cleaner gaming environment.

Finally, we’ve noticed a higher amount of teaming in the maps, especially the Goblin Caves since the re-introduction of VoIP. Although we want to encourage enough freedom for spontaneous player interactions and emergent behavior, we are also concerned that excessive and preplanned teaming can quickly degrade the experience for the player-base. Before we take the heavy -handed approach of banning teaming outright, we will try and dis-incentivizing undesirable behavior through in-game mechanics. Although it is a minor step, we have decided to remove one of the later appearing blue portals in the Goblin Caves so to make it harder for grouped players to survive at the end if they group up. We will continue to monitor this situation and make more extreme changes if necessary. Thank you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

the only fps-like game in existence afaik that does a decent job combatting cheaters is valorant. any other type of actually existing solution has been doomed to failure.

I haven’t had any widespread issue with cheaters in hunt.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Dang. Those changes are almost all good imo. Especially some of the damage reductions and closing the gap between tiers of gear.

I could maybe nitpick a few axe damage increases (felling axe felt strong already?) but not gonna complain too much. Barb is a little underpowered vs fighter anyway, so maybe it’ll close that gap. Zwei is now the team_killer++ lol…

High roller being free is interesting - what stops me from just solo queueing in there with no gear? I will probably do this just to learn the map and get better practice against hard enemies because there’s no real cost (aside from assuredly lower extraction rates).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ruggan posted:

Dang. Those changes are almost all good imo. Especially some of the damage reductions and closing the gap between tiers of gear.

I could maybe nitpick a few axe damage increases (felling axe felt strong already?) but not gonna complain too much. Barb is a little underpowered vs fighter anyway, so maybe it’ll close that gap. Zwei is now the team_killer++ lol…

High roller being free is interesting - what stops me from just solo queueing in there with no gear? I will probably do this just to learn the map and get better practice against hard enemies because there’s no real cost (aside from assuredly lower extraction rates).

Invest that 50/100G in vendor trash is what I plan on doing. Green longbow, green shortsword or rapier, bandages and a campfire.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The best thing I learned playing naked rogue is:
Just buy a grey castillion dagger for 8g

It does 4 damage more than the trash one
It's a better weapon than the primary dagger
It let's you 3-shot skeleton archers, the worst enemy in the game

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DarkDobe posted:

It let's you 3-shot skeleton archers, the worst enemy in the game

I think you mean Goblin Boaslingers.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Or those fuckin flying beetles with the slow

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I think you mean Goblin Boaslingers.

I don't go into the caves anymore but also yes gently caress those guys

The ranged enemies in general are a bit of a crapshoot. There should be some factor to stabbing a dude in the face interrupting their ranged attack.
Its that or you have to play the dodging guessing game or just roll the dice on if the dude you are facemashing will headshot you or not.

Proximity voice has allowed me the opportunity to taunt people while I stealth pickpocket them and it is spectacular

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2023

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DarkDobe posted:

Proximity voice has allowed me the opportunity to taunt people while I stealth pickpocket them and it is spectacular

Pregame is also great, you can poo poo talk, micspam, or play stupid games, in the hopes of winning stupid prizes after you piss off some dude and tell him you'll 1v1 him in the boss room.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

Battlebit regularly bans a shitton of people it even sends a message to everyone playing the game.

Battlebit's anticheat is also essentially malware, it can send them screenshots of whatever you are doing even when you aren't playing the game.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

easy anti-cheat [which battlebit is currently using and migrating from to faceit] is used a lot and from my anecdotal experience in popular games like rust it's pretty ineffective at stopping rampant cheating

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Ugh, fuckin' rogues man. Opening a portal in the goblin caves and get jumped. A second rogue enters the room just as I managed to kill the first. Pop second wind and fend him off, and he shuts the door when I back out of the room. Cool, I need to heal anyway. Hear him open the portal and leave while I'm bandaging up, at least he's no longer a threat.

Searching for another portal and get ganked by yet another rogue in a hallway. Motherfuckers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't realize killing players was 0 xp. That's so dumb it should at least be the equivalent of a miniboss.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't realize killing players was 0 xp. That's so dumb it should at least be the equivalent of a miniboss.

It could create bad gameplay loops where players intentionally feed each other

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Question about a fighter perk: Is there a typo in the "Shield Mastery" perk description? The second half reads:
"...upon successfully blocking an attack, the next block is 50% faster."

Seems this applies to attacks as well? I'm not using Counterattack, but if I attack immediately after blocking a goblin, my first swing comes out noticeably quicker. Unless this is just a feature of blocking I haven't noticed before because I'm bad?

Blocking with a shield, not a 2h weapon block/parry, to clarify.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

milkman dad posted:

It could create bad gameplay loops where players intentionally feed each other

Levels don't really matter apart from getting your slots. The only people who would do that already get 20 in like a day.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Question about a fighter perk: Is there a typo in the "Shield Mastery" perk description? The second half reads:
"...upon successfully blocking an attack, the next block is 50% faster."

Seems this applies to attacks as well? I'm not using Counterattack, but if I attack immediately after blocking a goblin, my first swing comes out noticeably quicker. Unless this is just a feature of blocking I haven't noticed before because I'm bad?

Blocking with a shield, not a 2h weapon block/parry, to clarify.

Haven't tested myself but I've heard from fighter players the text here is inaccurate and does apply to attacks, as you mentioned. It should also work with two handers that have a block like Longsword and... uh, spear I think? Any of the perks that mention a "defensive stance" work for all of these, not just shield blocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Not only does shield mastery make you attack faster but it works on parrying/riposte too