Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you need a load screen to enter a flat patch of desert with five landmarks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The Colonel posted:

a flat patch of desert with five landmarks

ah so that's what people mean when they say there's a lot of mass effect 1 in there

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

ah so that's what people mean when they say there's a lot of mass effect 1 in there

Every planet is like exploring the moon in ME1 but without the Mako, literally.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Surely there are actual locations with things to see or do

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a main city. otherwise, if there are any outside of that, they don't seem to be the planets the game directs you towards

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

there's a main city. otherwise, if there are any outside of that, they don't seem to be the planets the game directs you towards

There are a number of cities, the MSQ will guide you towards them.

Starfield really wants you to do the MSQ.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are a number of cities, the MSQ will guide you towards them.

Starfield really wants you to do the MSQ.

I feel like that's encouraging since I found that sidequest stuff just bored me out of the game in Skyrim, so maybe if one ignores the "1000 planets!" idiocy there is a good linear game there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

I feel like that's encouraging since I found that sidequest stuff just bored me out of the game in Skyrim, so maybe if one ignores the "1000 planets!" idiocy there is a good linear game there?

If you're bored by sidequest stuff the MSQ is absolutely not going to be enough to hold your interest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I adore Sea of Stars' visuals/music and really enjoy its gameplay but I wish that it wasn't so afraid to actually do anything interesting with its story. Every time it seems like it might, it falters at the last minute.

Between it and its main competitor in retro JRPG throwbacks, Chained Echoes outdoes it in every aspect except presentation.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Every planet is like exploring the moon in ME1 but without the Mako, literally.

Yikes.

Speaking of exploring the Moon in ME1, I loved the eerie little touch that you could hear Rachni in a certain spot there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I adore Sea of Stars' visuals/music and really enjoy its gameplay but I wish that it wasn't so afraid to actually do anything interesting with its story. Every time it seems like it might, it falters at the last minute.

Between it and its main competitor in retro JRPG throwbacks, Chained Echoes outdoes it in every aspect except presentation.

Yeah, at the end of the day it's just so absurdly incredibly safe. It does one kinda interesting thing but even that ends up undercut since you know what the game is homaging.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day it's just so absurdly incredibly safe. It does one kinda interesting thing but even that ends up undercut since you know what the game is homaging.

Lol I have not played the game yet but I have a pretty good guess at what that one interesting thing is based on this post

Gonna come back to this after I play it to see if I was right

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

oh is it a vr world again

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just finished the wind mage ghost pirate boss fight and I did like that everyone already put together that the pirate captain was Serai and they were just keeping quiet until she revealed it. The navigator ghost's comments do have me intrigued about what her Deal is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

For the like 2 people playing Chrono Ark here. Is there anything past the final note event with Leyrn and Phoenix? Or is that the end of the current version.

Sorry, I don't remember. That sounds about right though?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fuga 2's hooked me just like the first one but this midgame plot development is getting kind of mawkish. you'd think the time for malt to have an extended PTSD trip was when they were actually fighting in a war, not when your gf got telefragged while you were fighting zombie tanks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

fuga 2's hooked me just like the first one but this midgame plot development is getting kind of mawkish. you'd think the time for malt to have an extended PTSD trip was when they were actually fighting in a war, not when your gf got telefragged while you were fighting zombie tanks

I mean "I saved my girlfri.. oh. Oh no I didn't." is probably going to impact you a lot heavier than "Me and all my friends survived!"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Sorry, I don't remember. That sounds about right though?

I guess I never fought a super boss then. Glitch maybe?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh, the Leryn stuff was released after the super boss. Honestly, I have no idea how exactly plot progression works and it's probably different now than it used to be since I've been playing since early early access. (ending spoilers) The true final boss is Azar.

Edit: Or maybe that was just playable Leryn? After the Phoenix and Leryn working on a cure for 10000 years or whatever, Lucy gets her memories back and confronts the King with her memories, then you end up fighting Azar. I don't remember the exact sequence of events.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Oh, the Leryn stuff was released after the super boss. Honestly, I have no idea how exactly plot progression works and it's probably different now than it used to be since I've been playing since early early access. (ending spoilers) The true final boss is Azar.

Edit: Or maybe that was just playable Leryn? After the Phoenix and Leryn working on a cure for 10000 years or whatever, Lucy gets her memories back and confronts the King with her memories, then you end up fighting Azar. I don't remember the exact sequence of events.

Ah I guess I have to do a run to make this happen. I tried talking to the NPCs at the town and the only difference is that Azar and Phoenix just say "..." but I couldnt trigger a special run like the Azar/Lucy one from earlier so IDK

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 2, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

thank god starfielf is on game pass so i dont have to pay for it

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Played Sea of Stars up to the first major twist and lmao that was pretty stupid huh

"Now that we've killed the last known dweller in the world...we'll betray the party and help these evil guys resurrect an old one! Why? Because we're tired and don't wanna be Solstice Warriors anymore and would rather destroy the world (?) instead of taking a semi-permanent vacation now that our job is done (????)"

It's not even like it couldn't work as a twist, it just needs...something more. Like if they were bitter and resentful about having been forcefully drafted into a war from the age of 6. As it is it just feels like such a pitiful baby excuse for a betrayal.

I'm still enjoying the game though, literally everything except for the story/writing is genuinely fantastic.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On that note, if Outer Worlds 2 wants to succeed it needs to downplay the Bethesda trappings like the loot, and be far less bland and roilandesque. Obsidian games have never been about the square-miles on show, but the sheer depth of each step taken.
...they're making a sequel to that game? it had exactly two good jokes! (the guy who refuses to take the corporate mascot head off no matter how depressed he is and the insurance employee whose insurance only covers paper cuts)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Outer Worlds was pretty successful and was also inexplicably something of a media darling, so I'm not surprised it's getting a sequel.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...they're making a sequel to that game? it had exactly two good jokes! (the guy who refuses to take the corporate mascot head off no matter how depressed he is and the insurance employee whose insurance only covers paper cuts)

I see I am not the only person for whom its attempts at humor didn't connect...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It was so weird reading the reviews of Outer Worlds then actually playing the game and getting the worst choices out of any Obsidian game I've played and weapons whose upgrades were all "generic name of weapon + a number that went up when it was a better version". Just felt like the most generic game with some anti capitalistic stuff portrayed using mostly bad humor.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I didn't even realize it was positively received but I suppose I've only ever heard goons talking about it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Might be getting it confused with Outer Wilds?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr E posted:

It was so weird reading the reviews of Outer Worlds then actually playing the game and getting the worst choices out of any Obsidian game I've played and weapons whose upgrades were all "generic name of weapon + a number that went up when it was a better version". Just felt like the most generic game with some anti capitalistic stuff portrayed using mostly bad humor.

Also you can very easily make the Byzantium hub a constant shootout because you made The Board hate you enough to shoot on sight, with no means to mitigate it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What signalled the Eight Console Generation for me was when Geralt could physically walk from the outside into a cave or a building without interruption. Or when the shops in Yakuza became a part of the overworld map and you could fight goons in there. Or how pretty much every open-world like Days Gone or Horizon only need a load-screen for fast-traveling. I don't think Bethesda will ever hit that point technically.

On that note Days Gone was excellent, despite the chuddy discourse, provided you know that the protagonist is absolutely insane. It's hilarious to see him mutter about how the next bandit camp he'll raze is full of rapists and murderers. He's probably the funniest player character since Michael Thorton, due in part because he was meant to be a serious character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Played Sea of Stars up to the first major twist and lmao that was pretty stupid huh

"Now that we've killed the last known dweller in the world...we'll betray the party and help these evil guys resurrect an old one! Why? Because we're tired and don't wanna be Solstice Warriors anymore and would rather destroy the world (?) instead of taking a semi-permanent vacation now that our job is done (????)"

It's not even like it couldn't work as a twist, it just needs...something more. Like if they were bitter and resentful about having been forcefully drafted into a war from the age of 6. As it is it just feels like such a pitiful baby excuse for a betrayal.

I'm still enjoying the game though, literally everything except for the story/writing is genuinely fantastic.

There is actually a reason they do that which gets explained later.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Or how pretty much every open-world like Days Gone or Horizon only need a load-screen for fast-traveling. I don't think Bethesda will ever hit that point technically.

It blew my mind when I tried the ps5 version of Ghost of Tsushima and fast travel was instant.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the chuddy discourse

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

There is actually a reason they do that which gets explained later.

Oh good. I haven't exactly had faith in this games writing up to this point, so I just thought it was a clumsily handled twist.

Which, I guess it might still be, but I should probably keep playing.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Just finished sea of stars.

The good: Fun, great visuals and music, a lighthearted story with a positive message, and excellent QoL stuff that made finishing side content fun without being too tedious.

The bad: a little short, a little fragmented/cheesy story-wise, and there could have just been more to the whole thing, especially the final boss sequences.

All that said, it’s free on ps+, and I hope there’s a longer sequel. I didn’t know about any of the weird jp stuff that’s been referenced in this thread, and there was nothing in the game that made me feel like it was made by monsters.

Now where the gently caress are the suikoden rereleases and eiyuden chronicles already.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've played the first 90 minutes and it feels super linear so far in a way that a lot of indie jrpgs are, i hope at the very least the dungeon design opens up a TINY bit, even Octopath's dungeons have more exploration to them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
didnt know what weird jp stuff you were referring to and was going to say the weird jp indie rpgs are way cooler for a second

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sea of stars has the exact same problem as Symphony of War. The actual bones of the game are great just hire a good writer next time for the love of god.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have faith that no matter what writer they hire they will always be capable of successfully creating another indie game that doesn't really have much to exist for other than to display some fancy retro aesthetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am the new writer of symphony of war 2. it is now mostly about economics.