Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Isentropy posted:

Just got a new router from Rogers Communications in Canada and holy poo poo they moved all the basic network settings* into a loving app? An app? For your own home router?!?

*port forwarding, and changing the ACTUAL WIFI PASSWORD

And I just saw that episode of IASIP today too

I literally just found myself in the same situation but googled the name of the router and connected directly to the IP address (usually 192.168.1.1) and found an option "I don't have a compatible smartphone" which let me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

credburn posted:

To be fair, the background of the main menu is supposed to be Bakersfield, which maybe because of hardware limitations couldn't really be depicted well in-game in Fallout 1.

Which in-game looked like this

Both of ‘em look like Bakersfield to me. :rimshot:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Starwars.

It’s now the suckyest suck to ever suck.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Local broadcast TV.

20 some years ago you could turn on local TV programming and you'd have some decent variety in late night/weekend content to make it a bit worth keeping an eye on.

Today, even with all the subchannels on antenna, it all feels far more bland in selection.

For that matter, digital antennas. Oh, yeah, the picture on over-the-air TV is fantastic now -- WHEN you can get a signal. But it's like satellite: if your antenna isn't positioned JUST RIGHT, or it's rainy, or cloudy, or windy, or overcast, or dark, or sunny, or you're standing in the wrong spot, just forget it. You might have gotten fewer channels and a shittier picture with a pair of rabbit ears, but at least you could actually get a broadcast.

:arghfist: :corsair:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jawnycat posted:

Microwave meals have gotten shittier. For awhile they graduated up from packaged sadness to actual decent food but have recently started to plummet right back down. I especially love that allot of them now no longer use a simple plastic film, but a plastic baggy, meaning the bottom of the tray gets covered in crap and extricating it from the baggy is unpleasant. Double so for the ones that want you to stir it half-way through, meaning you've got to negotiate the drat thing back into the wet plastic baggy.

It's 2023, microwave technology should be advanced enough by now to just cook the food without the song and dance. Pierce film, microwave 4 min, stir, replace film, microwave 6 more min. More and more meals do this and it sucks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Verdugo posted:

It's 2023, microwave technology should be advanced enough by now to just cook the food without the song and dance. Pierce film, microwave 4 min, stir, replace film, microwave 6 more min. More and more meals do this and it sucks.

Microwaves have an insanely widespread install base with all kinds of different wattages, features and capabilities. They write the instructions so the most people get hot food. Feel free to experiment with lower power for a longer time. The directions used to be easier but the meals were cooked poorly.

I've had a few items with clever shaped dishes that do cook better without more steps, that should be more mainstream.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

For that matter, digital antennas. Oh, yeah, the picture on over-the-air TV is fantastic now -- WHEN you can get a signal. But it's like satellite: if your antenna isn't positioned JUST RIGHT, or it's rainy, or cloudy, or windy, or overcast, or dark, or sunny, or you're standing in the wrong spot, just forget it. You might have gotten fewer channels and a shittier picture with a pair of rabbit ears, but at least you could actually get a broadcast.

:arghfist: :corsair:

And the commercials get more dystopian every time I see them.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Jawnycat posted:

Microwave meals have gotten shittier. For awhile they graduated up from packaged sadness to actual decent food but have recently started to plummet right back down. I especially love that allot of them now no longer use a simple plastic film, but a plastic baggy, meaning the bottom of the tray gets covered in crap and extricating it from the baggy is unpleasant. Double so for the ones that want you to stir it half-way through, meaning you've got to negotiate the drat thing back into the wet plastic baggy.

There was a particular microwave from the 90s that figured all of this out, by including a humidity sensor. It was just slightly more expensive than making a lovely microwave that just blindly runs without self-management from a sensor, so it disappeared almost as soon as it appeared and we've been stuck with the lovely version ever since.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are seeing commercials then you are Doing It Wrong.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Digital TV was a revelation when it first launched and they only replicated the few analogue channels, but in HD at high bitrates.

Then they squeezed in dozens more lovely channels and the bitrates are a tenth of what they used to be, so it looks like garbage.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There was a particular microwave from the 90s that figured all of this out, by including a humidity sensor. It was just slightly more expensive than making a lovely microwave that just blindly runs without self-management from a sensor, so it disappeared almost as soon as it appeared and we've been stuck with the lovely version ever since.

My not that old LG microwave has a humidity sensor. Pretty sure this is a pretty standard thing on the nicer microwaves.

It takes a bit longer to cook things, I think it has to stop the magnetron to measure or maybe it's just varying the power level up and down.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

Microwaves have an insanely widespread install base with all kinds of different wattages, features and capabilities. They write the instructions so the most people get hot food. Feel free to experiment with lower power for a longer time. The directions used to be easier but the meals were cooked poorly.

I've had a few items with clever shaped dishes that do cook better without more steps, that should be more mainstream.

Hollow out the middle of whatever you're microwaving and it will work 100x better. Even if its just inside the tray, push the food to the outside. If you arrange your burritos or corndogs in a triangle or square they will cook perfectly under 3 minutes.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Leave your fork in whatever you're microwaving and it'll cook hella fast

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Earbuds are all too large now. I get that people come in different sizes, but AirPods are like 4 times larger than something that can fit into my ear. They come out caked in blood. Are all earbuds now engineered by 11 foot tall people and most just don't admit that they hurt?

This wasn't an issue in the 80s and 90s. What changed? Did the average adult really change that much?

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 1, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You aren't supposed to solve the *whole* earbud inside of your ear canal

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Dip Viscous posted:

Earbuds are all too large now. I get that people come in different sizes, but AirPods are like 4 times larger than something that can fit into my ear. They come out caked in blood. Are all earbuds now engineered by 11 foot tall people and most just don't admit that they hurt?

This wasn't an issue in the 80s and 90s. What changed? Did the average adult really change that much?

:psyduck: :wtc:

naem
May 29, 2011

earbuds fall out of my ear and with no wires i’d lose them instantly

and no quality waterproof headphones with an actual headband exist that I could jog with those don’t exist anymore

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

naem posted:

and no quality waterproof headphones with an actual headband exist that I could jog with those don’t exist anymore

Just tape the ear buds in place, jesus christ get it together friend.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

I grabbed a pair of cheap earbuds for a flight recently and they came with like 3 sets of changeable cups. If you're talking about Apple-style solid plastic pods those things have always been absolute trash from both an ergonomic and audio quality perspective. Just be nice to your ears and get a set of decent over-ear headphones.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

naem posted:

There are earbuds with a plastic part that wraps around the ears to hold them in place.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
NFL.com constantly barrages me with ads for NFL Premium+ . We've had a Premium+ account for 7 seasons now. Stop showing me ads for something I already have and spend that time figuring out how to not boot me randomly while watching preseason games.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Drunk Nerds posted:

NFL.com constantly barrages me with ads for NFL Premium+ . We've had a Premium+ account for 7 seasons now. Stop showing me ads for something I already have and spend that time figuring out how to not boot me randomly while watching preseason games.

Premium streaming services need to gently caress off with advertising to their paying customers. That was the final straw that got me to end my subscription with the WWE Network a few years ago. Some of the ads were inexplicable, too. Why are you advertising a pay-per-view that happened 6 years ago? That's a really weird thing to do, WWE!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

earbuds have never worked for me, poo poo just does not stay in my ear regardless of the shape and I gotta wear cans

I like the Momentum 3s I have, they're pretty good

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just buy the same cheapo wired earbuds about every nine months (when they break) and have a fifteen dollar wireless earpiece for phone calls and podcasts. Never gonna pay $200 for apple anything.

Time_pants posted:

Premium streaming services need to gently caress off with advertising to their paying customers. That was the final straw that got me to end my subscription with the WWE Network a few years ago. Some of the ads were inexplicable, too. Why are you advertising a pay-per-view that happened 6 years ago? That's a really weird thing to do, WWE!

*Taps the sign*

doctorfrog posted:

There isn't a single piece of web content that's worth seeing an ad for

If you see an ad you can't block hit da bricks

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Spend $20 on the cheap Sennheiser earphones. No reason earphones should fail after less than a year unless you are bending the jack.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's too many streaming services! Please eliminate/combine 5 of them.

- Old Man

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

redshirt posted:

There's too many streaming services! Please eliminate/combine 5 of them.

- Old Man

:hmmyes:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The fly Delta app. Open it and your boarding pass pops up for less than a second, then it suggests flights to the destination you already booked. To get your actual boarding pass you need to enter your name and ticket number, if you turn off your screen you need to do this again to get your boarding pass back. It worked well enough before the ui update.

The American airlines app has always sucked so it's not really for this thread.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh nooo. The Delta app was one that I actually liked

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

The default Windows image viewing software must have recently changed/updated or something, and it now includes some sort of thumbnail viewer at the bottom. This was accompanied by an unsolicited popup tip telling me that there's a thumbnail viewer now. After I closed it, there was another unsolicited popup tip urging me to download Microsoft's video editing software.

I couldn't immediately figure out how to cleanly view the image (there was now a thumbnail viewer blocking the bottom part), so I went into the settings to see if I could disable the stupid thing. In the settings I was met with an unskippable two-part unsolicited sales pitch to keep my file safe with OneDrive and how to learn more. After fighting through that another unsolicited popup tip appeared that I didn't read because I had closed the program in frustration.

This is the stupidest future.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Has anyone mentioned Windows 11 yet?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

redshirt posted:

Has anyone mentioned Windows 11 yet?

I'm about to get a new pc and it's probably gonna come preloaded with it, what horrors am I in for as someone who begrudgingly upgraded to 10 from 7 when support ended.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

I'm about to get a new pc and it's probably gonna come preloaded with it, what horrors am I in for as someone who begrudgingly upgraded to 10 from 7 when support ended.

DOOM!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

:ohdear:

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
A bunch of restaurants in my lovely town have installing "pourmybeer" systems. https://pourmybeer.com

Basically, you give the waitstaff your debit card, and for the pleasure you get your own temporary access card and get to pour your own drinks from a tap wall and pay by the ounce.

Its incredible horseshit.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i assume those words are meant for the biz side, but having public marketing say "boost profits" should be a executable offense.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

A bunch of restaurants in my lovely town have installing "pourmybeer" systems. https://pourmybeer.com

Basically, you give the waitstaff your debit card, and for the pleasure you get your own temporary access card and get to pour your own drinks from a tap wall and pay by the ounce.

Its incredible horseshit.

Can you stand there for a bit and take a few quality control drinks before topping off and walking away?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

*Taps the sign*

There's a part of me that just wants the VC money tap to turn off already so the tech industry can just collapse and we can go back to living in an analog world.

MrQwerty posted:

earbuds have never worked for me, poo poo just does not stay in my ear regardless of the shape and I gotta wear cans

I like the Momentum 3s I have, they're pretty good

I am picky about sound quality and my ears are gross wax fountains so for me cans (Sennheiser HD 650) are the only way to go.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Woolie Wool posted:

There's a part of me that just wants the VC money tap to turn off already so the tech industry can just collapse and we can go back to living in an analog world.

I am picky about sound quality and my ears are gross wax fountains so for me cans (Sennheiser HD 650) are the only way to go.

I used to make the mobos for the Momentums before they sold off the consumer division, and while the plant shut down I won a pair of HD280s and a pair of MassxSenn 6XX (HD680 internals with cheaper outer) from the merch closet. I really like the 6XXs, too bad they require a driver.

also lol that analog world poo poo ain't the way it's gonna go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"That record sound before the first song started...."