Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's short for septic tank which is cockney rhyming slang for yank.

Every time I’ve explained this to an American they look confused at first, then laugh. It’s not very insulting, just sounds like another silly (to us) British slang term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
its not really meant to be insulting in of itself the insulting part is calling them americans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

really shoulda been yooessians

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The map:territory understander has logged on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34TAzafsEY

the woke moralists expect you to believe there is a giant man controlling the weather

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm assuming he means the extent of the fires geographically and not that the icons on the map are physical representations of the size of the fires.

...right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think he really means "are the individual fires that size?" or he'd say "are there really that many?"

But considering his cognitive decline from someone who claimed to have unearthed the secrets of symbolic meaning to going on about communist man milking machines, who knows at this point.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Dumb "philosophers" aside, it is kinda a bad map since it's hard to see what area is actually burning with that representation.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Dumb "philosophers" aside, it is kinda a bad map since it's hard to see what area is actually burning with that representation.

Yeah it really should be a shaded map using fire perimeter data, or if that data isn't available, at least circles showing estimated size. Having identical little icons at every separate fire is not very helpful.

But of course he found entirely the wrong criticism to make and made it super weirdly.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34TAzafsEY

the woke moralists expect you to believe there is a giant man controlling the weather

A literal nonce towering over britain in one of the most on the nose metaphors in history.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

The map:territory understander has logged on!

The globe is also not uniformly sunlit and cloudless, with broad swaths of stark white terrain between states and countries.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This but unironically

Lol at wanting to be a puritan nationalist fanatic (who did own slaves for a long time while this city was already an abolitionist and multicultural bastion with four languages and three religions) instead of being in the city with the best food and music in these United States

You have died of yellow fever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Platystemon posted:

with broad swaths of stark white terrain between states and countries.

new british government policy re: northern ireland, extremely large road painting machine to make border visible from space.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

new british government policy re: northern ireland, extremely large road painting machine to make border visible from space.

I think you might want think more along the lines of Hadrian's Megawall

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

Morocco did it first

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OddObserver posted:

At that scale most of the fires are too small to show up with anything but an icon. It isn't a great map but it does its job. Well, not well enough for certain philosophers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This looks familiar so maybe it's been posted before.

Found here, with blue Maria safety the link
https://www.nationhoodlab.org/a-balkanized-federation/

Which I came across from a Politico long-form article that uses the above boundaries to look at life expectancy and other measures.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/09/01/america-life-expectancy-regions-00113369

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like the cultural split between juneau and anchorage

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Which I came across from a Politico long-form article that uses the above boundaries to look at life expectancy and other measures.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/09/01/america-life-expectancy-regions-00113369

Hmm where to begin... I'm central texas greater appalachia.

e: actually no, I'm the epicenter of Greater Appalachian settlement being marked as Donegal, PA, a miniscule town in the laurel highlands that wasn't founded until 80 years after this image claims it was the epicenter of Greater Appalachia

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 1, 2023

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Why are people still pushing that disaster of a map in 2023? It’s so bad that you can find some new comedy every time: I just noticed Naples, FL, in the Spanish Caribbean even though the city itself is like 5% Hispanic and the county is 62% white non-Hispanic.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 1, 2023

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

King Hong Kong posted:

Why are people still pushing that disaster of a map in 2023? It’s so bad that you can find some new comedy every time: I just noticed Naples, FL, in the Spanish Caribbean even though the city itself is like 5% Hispanic and the county is 62% white non-Hispanic.

Mind boggling to me that anyone thinks southern Louisiana has anything at all to do with Quebec culturally or any other way. Maine and Vermont are more similar to Quebec than Cajun country.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm all of the arbitrarily drawn canadian lines because the creator knows even less about Canada than the US

Lol at putting Kenora and Toronto in the same district, or separating Winnipeg from Regina

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do believe that whatever regions you break up the entire country into, Texas should end up as an intersection of nearly all of them. Classify Austin and Dallas as enclaves of California and New York to get some of the regions you can't connect contiguously.

But by all indicators, there's no significant remnants of dutch culture anywhere in New York unless you get creative.

SimonSays posted:

Mind boggling to me that anyone thinks southern Louisiana has anything at all to do with Quebec culturally or any other way. Maine and Vermont are more similar to Quebec than Cajun country.

It's the kind of thing that you'd do if you had only vaguely heard about Louisiana and really wanted to project the image of the US being culturally split with non-US areas.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

But by all indicators, there's no significant remnants of dutch culture anywhere in New York unless you get creative.

The stereotypical new yorker accent is actually very dutch-influenced.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Count Roland posted:

Yes that’s because that article was written by Colin Woodard who created that map in 2011 and has found a way to work into every single loving thing he’s done since

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Stock market crashes are a Dutch invention and part of their cultural heritage though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I learned everything I need to know about the Dutch from Austin Powers 3

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having been a dweller of both, forever lmaoing at any and all maps that think Québec and Louisiane are similar culturally

I’d at least think it’s from one of those Did You Know Cajun Comes From Acadien Eh Ya Dumb Ol Yank style dumb canadians and not a thinkpiece from the US tho

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 1, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Texas is the center of the world and the wellspring from whence all culture springs and thus naturally a intersection of all cultural regions.

A modern day Constantinople: the gate between east, west, north, and south. Slightly larger than the previous Constantinople.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Solution for climate change: Cover Greenland in wind turbines.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EasilyConfused posted:

Solution for climate change: Cover Greenland in wind turbines.

It was more fun when I thought you said Grover Cleveland in wind turbines

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do believe that whatever regions you break up the entire country into, Texas should end up as an intersection of nearly all of them. Classify Austin and Dallas as enclaves of California and New York to get some of the regions you can't connect contiguously.

It's the kind of thing that you'd do if you had only vaguely heard about Louisiana and really wanted to project the image of the US being culturally split with non-US areas.

Some great names tho, my favorite nyc bridge crosses the Hell Gate and is cleverly named the Hell Gate Bridge

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoastBeef posted:

Some great names tho, my favorite nyc bridge crosses the Hell Gate and is cleverly named the Hell Gate Bridge

You’ll never guess how the Golden Gate Bridge got its name.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

RoastBeef posted:

Aren't most bridges named after what they cross/where they go?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

Aren't most bridges named after what they cross/where they go?

In New York, the George Washington bridge crosses the Hudson/North River, likewise the Lincoln and Holland tunnels. The Tapanzee crosses it upstate and the Verazanno at the mouth of the harbor. The Brooklyn, Manhattan, and whitestone bridges cross the east river. The tribourough bridge crosses ... Something. The north and east river tunnels do go under the north and east rivers, but no one ever accused the Pennsylvania Railroad of creativity

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The East River is itself cunningly named.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

RoastBeef posted:

When you have a chance to name anything Hell Gate, take it.

Also it’s a cool bridge

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

RoastBeef posted:

In New York, the George Washington bridge crosses the Hudson/North River, likewise the Lincoln and Holland tunnels. The Tapanzee crosses it upstate and the Verazanno at the mouth of the harbor. The Brooklyn, Manhattan, and whitestone bridges cross the east river. The tribourough bridge crosses ... Something. The north and east river tunnels do go under the north and east rivers, but no one ever accused the Pennsylvania Railroad of creativity

Most of those bridges are named after what they cross/where they go? The Tapanzee Bridge crosses the Tapanzee, the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge crosses the Narrows, the Brooklyn Bridge leads to Brooklyn, the Manhattan bridge leads to Manhattan, the Whitestone Bridge leads to Whitestone, the Triborough Bridge leads to three different boroughs.

It's certainly not a hard rule, but it's extremely common.

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's common but there are also a ton of other sorts of names, especially in places where a lot of bridges cross the same named gap. I'm from Pittsburgh and almost all of the bridges have names either related to where they originate on one side or the other (bloomfield bridge (e: i guess you covered this case)), what street becomes them (16th st bridge), or someone's name (rachel carson bridge), because calling it e.g. the "Allegheny bridge" would be incredibly non specific.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 2, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Worth noting that at least for the US, the only one I know about, this is already kinda inaccurate because the US has 4 categories instead of 3, and the map was creative about interpreting those. The actual "please just do not go there" advisory countries are mainly active warzones, failed states, and nations just generally hostile to Americans.

You can just check the actual specific advisories explained on the government's website. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why does China think that Brazil is safe?

Why does Germany think that Sweden is unsafe?