Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I absolutely hated the in-house 5v5's my roommate in college would organize when we all played League. Team balance was nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why are people who are doing their calibration games tend to do completely wackjob poo poo? I get that the system doesn't know what MMR they are so there's going to be more variance but it's way more than that. Like uh, it's probably a bad idea to abandon one of your calibration games because something non-ideal happened but I've seen it more than once recently.

Probably because those people either are new or rarely play (so don't give that much of a poo poo about Dota), or they are the people that constantly make/buy new accounts and rage easily.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
if you're calibrating in 2023 you either 1) haven't played in a long time, or 2) are a smurf, or 3) have delusions that your account is in the wrong bracket and you can correct it, or 4) are actually new to ranked

only one or two of those even potentially lend themselves to a level-headed relationship with each given dota game

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 30, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

did an organised 5v5 with a bunch of mates last night, was super fun but the team imbalance was a little skewed as to be expected, I ended up mid against a guy probably about 2/2.5k higher than me, i first picked Puck purely since I knew that was their favourite hero and let me tell you i learned a lot about Puck v Invoker. The way he goaded a jaunt from his right click into a tornado emp made me feel like i was getting clowned on, got the first kill in mid on him though, thanks to a clinkz and managed to kill one of my better dota friends on the carry wraith king with a max range illusory orb so all in all I was happy :D

anyway that was a bit intense so afterwards queu'ed as 4 natures prophet and crushed a pub, all in all a good nights dota

playing someones favorite hero vs them is always a good way to find out the most brutal and insane way to get owned

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.dota2.com/summer2023?c=USD&l=english&partner=0

Summer Clent Update + Collector's Cache

They reworked the report system again!

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 30, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh god that Marci skin is going to trigger me so hard every time. The audio for getting instagibbed from her ultimate already triggers me. Snailfire owns pretty hard though.

All in all as someone doesn't care much about hats, improvements to the hats system underwhelms me.... Or I guess it's still August, is this the "September update" they were talking about? The particle lighting looks slick as hell though

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

emdash posted:

if you're calibrating in 2023 you either 1) haven't played in a long time, or 2) are a smurf, or 3) have delusions that your account is in the wrong bracket and you can correct it, or 4) are actually new to ranked

only one or two of those even potentially lend themselves to a level-headed relationship with each given dota game

I havent bothered to touch ranked since they changed it from numbers to names

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is that a cosmetic for AM's persona? Is that a first?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

IcePhoenix posted:

Is that a cosmetic for AM's persona? Is that a first?

is baby voker a persona? there's regular baby and evil baby

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://www.dota2.com/summer2023?c=USD&l=english&partner=0

Summer Clent Update + Collector's Cache

They reworked the report system again!

I like that commending people will actually do something, and I also like the nicer graphics. Cool update.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Nice updates, nice treasures

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
is it fair to say we're league of legends now? those AM and Marci skins are pretty anime.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zeruel posted:

is it fair to say we're league of legends now? those AM and Marci skins are pretty anime.

League released a new hero today, I don't think we're that bad yet

https://twitter.com/leagueoflegends/status/1696933637491667345?s=46

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

is collectors cache purchase only or do they drop from wins?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Dota has always been very anime in spirit

E: cache is $2.49 a pop just like every year, don’t think it drops

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

NtotheTC posted:

League released a new hero today, I don't think we're that bad yet

https://twitter.com/leagueoflegends/status/1696933637491667345?s=46

I mean to be fair what did they expect?

Also what is up with that big toe.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

emdash posted:

Dota has always been very anime in spirit

E: cache is $2.49 a pop just like every year, don’t think it drops

bought 5 chests, got the weeb skin. dota wanted me to have it it's not my fault

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Commending players telling the system that you'd like to play a game with those folks again is such a no-brainer it makes me wonder why it took 10 or 13 years for them to try it

e: also in the blog post one of the notes at the bottom mentions that they've made illusion-heavy matches take up way less bandwidth so that'll be rad if true

Geight fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 31, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Apparently Sprout will proc Phylactery if you target the enemy hero with it; watching Puppey terrorize the map with an early one right now :ohdear:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Apparently Sprout will proc Phylactery if you target the enemy hero with it; watching Puppey terrorize the map with an early one right now :ohdear:

it also gets nulled by linkens and reflected by lotus if you player target it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:supaburn:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That one is 'Bird Samurai' probably and the other one might be another name for 'Elder Wizard' or whatever they were teasing a few weeks ago.

Also apparently I missed on $$$ yesterday, the old LC immortal was marketable for a few hours and and I noticed it had a price in the client but then my queue popped or something and I ended up forgetting about it. It was going for more than $100.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 31, 2023

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I only have played a few games since the comms updates but, anecdotally, it seems like valve kinda fixed a lot of the toxic poo poo somehow.

Is this confirmation bias or does anyone else notice that?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't felt the need to Report anyone, but I have Disliked a few people after a match.

I saw lots of "Action Taken" screenshots while skimming Reddit earlier, though.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Nichael posted:

I only have played a few games since the comms updates but, anecdotally, it seems like valve kinda fixed a lot of the toxic poo poo somehow.

Is this confirmation bias or does anyone else notice that?

People are probably going to be slightly wary at first about being super toxic in chat. It comes down to if when they do go toxic if they are punished, or if it is like behavioral score where you can be a massive jackass with still a perfect score.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

'We banned 90,000 smurf accounts!'

Queue for the first game of the day, it's a tinker smurf with ~250 matches played on the account.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The wording of the update post made it sound like they’re using machine learning or something to analyze the offending comms in real time. Very much looking forward to my first encounter with a true gamer so I can see if they get banned in real time.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

'We banned 90,000 smurf accounts!'

Queue for the first game of the day, it's a tinker smurf with ~250 matches played on the account.

The post said the banned accounts were all active in the last few months. There's a good chance that many people got one account banned and are switching to other smurfs accounts they haven't used in a while. Hopefully they continue to crack down on those.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
played a lot today and the games were generally better with fewer smurfs. still plenty of completely awful mids on my team but oh well

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

ShimmyGuy posted:

People are probably going to be slightly wary at first about being super toxic in chat. It comes down to if when they do go toxic if they are punished, or if it is like behavioral score where you can be a massive jackass with still a perfect score.

Can confirm, I went hard in chat and only abandoning games had any effect

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Amusing oversight by Valve, it's possible for only one player in the game to have enough behavior score to pause or unpause.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That's a feature

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Amusing oversight by Valve, it's possible for only one player in the game to have enough behavior score to pause or unpause.

lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What's the problem?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/3692442542242977036

quote:

Today, we permanently banned 90,000 smurf accounts that have been active over the last few months. Smurf accounts are alternate accounts used by players to avoid playing at the correct MMR, to abandon games, to cheat, to grief, or to otherwise be toxic without consequence.

Additionally, we have traced every single one of these smurf accounts back to its main account. Going forward, a main account found associated with a smurf account could result in a wide range of punishments, from temporary adjustments to behavior scores to permanent account bans.

As we said earlier this year in our blog post about cheating, and as we said earlier this week in our Summer Client Update, and as we will continue to say: Dota is a game best enjoyed when played on an even field. The quality of the people in a given match are what makes a match good. We’re invested in making sure your matches are as good as possible, and smurfing makes matches worse.

As always, if you suspect someone of smurfing in your game, use the in-game reporting options to flag them. This will help us continue to track offenders and gather data used to inform our anti-smurf efforts moving forward.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

What's the problem?

People pausing while they go out for smokes and no one can do anything about it. They fixed it, though.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Quick googling said waga got hit but bulldog didn't. Possibly because bulldog might be playing pretty close to his MMR on his alt

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Updating dota on the old travel laptop... Can I win the skins in lpq pretty sure I have a couple left from the last foray into this magical game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just played four games of infamous weekend ranked and not one was griefed. it's anecdotal, but still i cannot even imagine that happening before this week