Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

"They're literally trying to replace workers with robots" hits loving everybody where they live, save, like, 1%ers.

Even my Reagan-era republican uncle hates seeing self-checkouts in grocery stores. But he doesn’t want regulation of course, he believes that if he goes to the human-attended checkout lane enough times, the free market will magically provide a competing grocery store with no self-checkouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All-too-common, sadly.

I'm with your dad in that I won't play ball on that poo poo and only use the real checkout lanes, but I have no illusions that it'll change a fuckin' thing aside from helping me sleep at night.

I threw a big shitfit to the manager of my local grocery store when they started charging a quarter to use a shopping cart, though, because, in his words, "too many homeless people were stealing them," and I have to imagine a lot of other people did too, 'cause that policy only lasted about a month.

Too bad all of America didn't throw a big fit when they started making us do the checkers' jobs, but I have a feeling the fact that we didn't and now the lines irritatingly long at every store because they only ever have like a single checker no matter how busy it is isn't a factor here.

If people are gonna' keep waking up to capitalism being bullshit, as they have been in the last decade with no signs of it slowing down, it's gonna' be a bunch of little stuff like that chipping away at their dogma.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1697741677878972635?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Now the rest of the world gets to learn what loving monsters Bobbie Kotic, Yves Guillemot, and Andrew Wilson are, and how they're the David Zaslav, Bob Iger, and Ted Sarandos of video games :haw:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Someone with knowledge: do you see this impacting the strike against the AMPTP at all? I presume they wouldn’t really care.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hard to say, since IIRC voice actors doing non-Union work isn’t particularly uncommon.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:sickos:

Pretty sure the VAs you hear in everything, such as Steve Blum, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal etc are all union actors.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bloody Pom posted:

Pretty sure the VAs you hear in everything, such as Steve Blum, Nolan North, Yuri Lowenthal etc are all union actors.

With how much has come out about the industry recently, I'm fully expecting to find out Yuri Lowenthal got paid more by a retired hillbilly english teacher for half an hour of work on a podcast than Insomniac for 2 and a half AAA video games as Spider-Man

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The worst VA thing I can remember is the guy who voiced the main character in GTA4 in the main game plus the two story expansions rightly complained about getting paid basically nothing for that job, and then if you look at his IMDb his career kind of died after that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thou shalt not bite the hand that feeds you, said people who only fed you half of a tic tac.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bloody Pom posted:

And there are probably dozens of soundalikes who will work for peanuts. I really don't see the game companies giving too much of a gently caress since there are so many non union VAs ready to go.

I want to say that Netherealms was on the union blacklist for a while and they just recast the VAs while MK11 still sold a billion copies.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Given Atlus and Nintendo among others use non-union VAs, I'm not sure how effective this will be

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Note that voice actors have an even bigger reason to fight against AI than movie actors

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Part of the problem for VAs is the companies can just go to Texas where the OTHER giant voice actor community is and Texas is a right to work state and pay whatever they want. A lot of people got their start there like Laura Bailey and Travis Willingham - in fact it was nicknamed the Texodus to leave for LA - but you can't really have a full-time job as a voice actor in Texas because it doesn't pay very well so generally all of them also do other stuff on the side, be it voiceover work, directing, scripting, etc.

There's been talk now and then unionization but Texas isn't friendly to... Texas isn't friendly.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Just from my friends and people I work with, a lot of stage performers who are Actors Equity (separate union) also do voiceover work, and are SAG. I can only speak to the Houston theater scene on this.

Edit: Yeah also Texas sucks for a lot of reasons, and we are currently having some union negotiations that. . . aren't going great.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

fart blood posted:

Someone with knowledge: do you see this impacting the strike against the AMPTP at all? I presume they wouldn’t really care.

I bet the AMPTP spin will be “now there are fewer jobs for them to take, surely the union will collapse now”

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1699026987589812656?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

47 million versus half a billion. Now I'm just a simple country goon but that doesn't seem like a good tradeoff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I guess it was in a tweet that was posted before but is that it's estimated what the unions are asking for will cost the studios about 50 million a year ?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as with most union negotiations on the executive side, the amptp aren't measuring the cost in dollars

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Very few strikes and work stoppages are ever *Just* about money from the labor side either. Not having to literally die for the job is usually the biggest motivator

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.vulture.com/2023/09/2023-sag-and-wga-strike-picket-line-updates-week-9.html

Curious to see if that number will decrease as the strike continues...

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

https://www.vulture.com/2023/09/2023-sag-and-wga-strike-picket-line-updates-week-9.html

This number appears to be an increase from the last one I saw but I can’t find the link.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It might stay steady since most Americans aren’t directly impacted by the strikes and there’s a vast ocean of content available to stream right now.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
They're just going to create cable TV again.

quote:

The new bundles are coming, according to Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav.

Speaking at a Goldman Sachs conference Wednesday, the executive said that his company has had discussions with other companies in the content space about developing new bundles to create a better “consumer experience.” Those conversations have picked up “in the last few months,” Zaslav said.

“You know, as we talk to consumers, they find it difficult, and so I think one of the things that we’re going to see as we look into the future is bundling,” Zaslav added. “Some of this disruption and some of these moments of what’s going to happen may activate a quicker transition to things like some of us in the content business bundling together as a way to create more value and create a better consumer experience.”

He gave the example of Max’s recent experiment to offer content from AMC Networks for a limited window.

“That was Kristin Dolan [AMC’s CEO] and JB [Perrette, WBD’s streaming chief] getting together and saying, ‘Why don’t we try this, let’s see how it goes. … Let’s see whether that helps you grow your AMC direct-to-consumer product.”

But the “disruption” cited by Zaslav was also top of mind at the conference. Earlier this week, the company said that the ongoing writers and actors strikes would mean a hit of up to $500 million on the company’s 2023 earnings.

“If we can get a result soon, then the longer-term impacts will be minimized, but there are real industry challenges here,” Zaslav said, though he added that the company believes writers and actors should be paid “fairly” and be “valued” by their corporate partners.

“We’re a content company. We’re storytelling company. We need to do everything we can to get people back to work,” he said. “But more importantly, it’s true of creative people, but it’s true for all of us: People need to be compensated fairly, and they need to feel valued.”

Zaslav also said that he believes talent also want to see their work have an impact.

“Great writers, directors, actors, they want their content to be seen,” he said. “They want to have a chance to have an impact on the culture. They want to have a chance to have an impact on how people see themselves and see the world, and that’s what we get to do in this business. But only if we do it together.”

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They also want paid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Great writers, directors, actors, they want their content to be seen,” says man single handedly responsible for kicking off the age of media erasure and scarcity.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

“Great writers, directors, actors, they want their content to be seen,” says man single handedly responsible for kicking off the age of media erasure and scarcity.

*hastily deletes Westworld from HBO server*

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He knows they want that, therefore it's a valuable resource for him to control.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Khanstant posted:

He knows they want that, therefore it's a valuable resource for him to control.

One does not truly control a resource if you cannot destroy it. Hence the modern streaming landscape

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DarklyDreaming posted:

One does not truly control a resource if you cannot destroy it. Hence the modern streaming landscape
Seeing the advance cut of Dune Part 2 really did a number on him, didn't it?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Anyone else get that delightfully unhinged Facebook-esque campaign email from the "Independent" candidates? It was ~20 paragraphs of raging against Big Pharma's mystery juice and the other 19 were practically gibberish word salad. My favorite part was the link to an Adam Corolla podcast at the top of the email, like that was their introduction. And why are they sending this email today, aren't ballots due ASAP? It seems odd to dump 39 paragraphs in an email, one of those paragraphs bitching about how much it costs to access the SAG contact list, on practically the day ballots are due to be counted. Did they send one of these out a few weeks ago when folks were actually voting and I missed it?

I can only imagine folks like that in a negotiation with the studios. Iger would just give them a mic, tell them to share their views, and nod and agree and get them to agree to some poo poo deal because they felt they were heard.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been saying this exact thing for five years. "At some point some bean counter will decide to bundle all this poo poo together and we'll just have cable again."

I wish I could be happy about being right about a thing, but... fehhhh.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

I've been saying this exact thing for five years. "At some point some bean counter will decide to bundle all this poo poo together and we'll just have cable again."

I made a thread about the future of pay TV, but nobody posted in it. :smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LividLiquid posted:

I feel like that was always the plan.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I don’t think there’s any way around it. The streaming model only seems to work financially when it’s supplementary to broadcast.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

This happened ages ago when they fractured into different niche streaming services. Multiple subscriptions to manage each service was picking and choosing channels, only for streaming

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

it's worse actually because we've also combined it with the return of the studio system

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Time is a flat circle

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/15/18225269/streaming-future-cable-netflix-hulu-disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crackbone posted:

I don’t think there’s any way around it. The streaming model only seems to work financially when it’s supplementary to broadcast.

ultimately, I am shocked the cable system has survived as basically an add on to internet service. How many cable stations are just dumping grounds for their parent company's old shows? How much can the audience split itself? Something will have to collapse at some point.