Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

StratGoatCom posted:

The most likely possibility beyond bog (lol) standard shite germs and covid is the monkeypox making a return, since those symptoms sound a lot like that?

I'm guessing they'll also see outbreaks of dysentery and trench foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

God I hate that UAE falconry idiot.

He's insane but it's pretty funny that he got so much of Twitter talking about ebola at burning man

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing they'll also see outbreaks of dysentery and trench foot
The Burning Man Trail: You have died of dysentery

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

readimask does the job

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Some updates from that mysterious biomedical lab/warehouse in CA. I'm pulling out only some of the article, and it's got actual documents linked at the bottom of the news article.

https://www.kvpr.org/local-news/2023-08-31/city-of-fresno-releases-emails-call-logs-detailing-reedley-illegal-lab-investigation

[...]

"According to the documents, the city became aware of the company’s health and safety violations last fall, while it was still operating out of Fresno. An email shows that an inspector notified the Fresno County Environmental Health Department of the lab’s code violations in late October. Inspectors said the business was improperly disposing of hazardous waste, conducting live animal testing, and had unlabeled chemicals."

[...]

"The documents also show that city code enforcement officers filed a complaint with the state in early November. According to an email, officials with California EPA and the state Department of Toxic Substances Control acknowledged the complaint, but city officials claimed the agencies did not follow up.

"At a press conference on Tuesday, Fresno city councilmember Garry Bredefeld accused the state of not being proactive about the city’s concerns surrounding the lab.

“'What is not clear from these documents is the degree to which there is ongoing follow up from these different state of California agencies,' Bredefeld said. 'What is clear, though, is the need for greater communication and coordination from all government agencies in dealing with this potential threat in the future.'

"Bredefeld also announced that the city has implemented a new policy that would require the discovery of any hazardous materials to be reported to the city attorney, the city council and the mayor – which Bredefeld said 'did not happen in this case.'

"Additionally, local officials are in the process of adopting an ordinance that would require more rigorous notifications from new lab operators to the city’s Planning and Development Department. The ordinance will be up for final vote in September. If approved, it would take effect in mid-October.

"Until then, local officials plan to release new information as they learn more.

“'The public should have known, and they have a right to know,” said Bredefeld. “We got this information and we're releasing it to the public. It's as simple as that.'”

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

speng31b posted:

He's insane but it's pretty funny that he got so much of Twitter talking about ebola at burning man

Aside from anything else, I don't like it for risk that someone left the Lathe Of Heaven running.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/03/as-a-new-variant-emerges-is-covid-coming-back posted:

As a new variant emerges, is Covid coming back to the UK?
Vaccines, available only to high-risk groups, have been brought forward as cases begin to rise and the British winter looms
(..)
10 What’s the situation like elsewhere in the world?
The global picture of Covid’s spread is extremely mixed. In developing nations, the disease spread through populations who were not provided with vaccines. By contrast, in countries such as the US, the vaccine take-up rate has been striking and there continues to be strong pressure for all ages to be immunised, including children who rarely suffer ill effects from Covid infections. Uptake rates remain low among young people, however.

:thunk:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope COVID had a nice vacation in Iberia or wherever. Unfortunately I can't do anything but lol sadly at the second half:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

my wife cuts my hair

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Loucks posted:

Also what’s up with the OP’s claim that paxlovid and cannabis have notable interactions? Following the link to WebMD got me this:

[...]

Drugs.com just says “Ritonavir may increase the blood levels of the psychoactive component of cannabis ,” which seems desireable to me, although admittedly some people might be upset to find themselves higher than they expected.

iirc one of the components of the paxlovid regimen is a drug that slows your liver down to keep the antivirals in your system longer.

guess what else stays in your system longer :2bong: actually i'm going to go against the grain and suggest you shouldn't use it to get secondarily high, shockingly i'm not a proponent of that

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Fur20 posted:

iirc one of the components of the paxlovid regimen is a drug that slows your liver down to keep the antivirals in your system longer.

guess what else stays in your system longer :2bong: actually i'm going to go against the grain and suggest you shouldn't use it to get secondarily high, shockingly i'm not a proponent of that

Yes, part of the combination does serve to slow breakdown of the other part. I’m not on pax rn, and I’m certainly not going to pass my kid a blunt. My point is that this interaction is not especially significant compared to some of the stuff one could easily mix with pax. For example, diarrhea is a common side effect, but when I look at interactions with anti-diarrheal meds:

drugs.com posted:

Ritonavir may significantly increase the blood levels of loperamide. This can lead to serious and potentially fatal complications such as irregular heart rhythm and cardiac arrest, especially if you use more than the recommended doses of loperamide.

Weird that you assume my post was advocating using pax to get extra high on weed tbh.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I mean, you asked? You said it seems desirable!

and fur wasn't suggesting you specifically were gonna do that, just more of a royal you imho

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yes, you're right. If you say anything about weed and pax say you might need to smoke less or whatever. Pretending it causes an adverse reaction is some loser DARE poo poo

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I mean, you asked? You said it seems desirable!

and fur wasn't suggesting you specifically were gonna do that, just more of a royal you imho

Could be I was unclear, but that was meant as “this is not something to spread FUD about,” not “imma take a dose of pax and dab all night.” Or the royal you if you prefer. I’m not here trying to be combative, but essentially this:

Psycho Society posted:

Yes, you're right. If you say anything about weed and pax say you might need to smoke less or whatever. Pretending it causes an adverse reaction is some loser DARE poo poo

When there are common medications with interactions that can actually kill you seems bizarre to single out weed as the one with what looks like a dire warning. I’d put anti-diarrheal in there personally since it’s likely pax takers will experience that and it would suck for anyone to kill themselves with otc medication. Getting too high can suck, but there’s a meaningful difference between needing to lie on the couch for a couple of hours and dying of cardiac arrest.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

reading the NYC thread the big EZoo debacle is mainly because the lovely PE company that owns them can't pay any of the vendors lol

obviously the "supply chain issues" thing was a bald-faced lie, just a lie in a different direction this time.

fair enough. I figured fair chance the current wave reduced their build staff significantly but that makes sense as well

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I am not a doctor, but I'd bet a good deal of the efficacy of the various nasal sprays is just putting something in your nose. Like just spraying distilled water up in there would probably do something. Who's to say whether it's 10% or 40% or 70% as effective as saline, but it's just a bit of hygiene that a lot of people don't do. I sure as hell never cleaned my nose. Likewise with the mouthwash thing, gargling with tap water is probably good for you. Every anti-covid message in Japan emphasized washing your hands and gargling, and at the time I would make fun of them for saying that gargling would stop covid, and then it turns out it might actually work lol.

I agree nasal rinsing in general almost has some benefits including antiviral, but at the very least the Argentinian study tested a control nasal spray vs iota carrageenan, and the results were lopsided in favor of carrageenan. I believe other pre-covid studies found similarly for other viruses but can't remember for sure

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

'strong pressure' lol okay

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Didn’t some TCC goon die from mixing Immodium with something?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Couldn’t even go 1 day and there’s a COVID positive case in one of my kids’ classes smfh. You didn’t know your kids were sick and they magically tested positive Saturday?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

maxwellhill posted:

did we already forget about the coughing trick

I forgot, was the coughing trick to cough first before swabbing it was it to cough on the swab itself

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i don't remember either. did silicone thrills bring it up? was it some study?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Bastard Tetris posted:

Unfortunately it was someone's boyfriend who od'd on immodium in a movie theater.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
oh ok it was a mastadon post where an individual false positived until they coughed on the swab, then silicone thrills tried it too, but turned out ok iirc

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think most packaged instructions for rapid tests say to cough a few times before swabbing, to get deep lung material up into your respiratory tract

of course they also tell you to swab your nose instead of your throat/mouth where most of your cough is going to be directed

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

I think most packaged instructions for rapid tests say to cough a few times before swabbing, to get deep lung material up into your respiratory tract

noooooooo they do not lol

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Loucks posted:

Why would I cut my hair? I’m not a Mormon.

Also what’s up with the OP’s claim that paxlovid and cannabis have notable interactions? Following the link to WebMD got me this:

Drugs.com just says “Ritonavir may increase the blood levels of the psychoactive component of cannabis ,” which seems desireable to me, although admittedly some people might be upset to find themselves higher than they expected.

WebMD isn’t a real interaction checker btw. I’d place limited faith in these sorts of lay tools for understanding drug-drug interactions

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Now this is loving badass

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Poppers posted:

Now this is loving badass

ew, don't reply to my posts

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

of course they also tell you to swab your nose instead of your throat/mouth where most of your cough is going to be directed

What test is this? Never seen this either

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

sharp scissors, a mirror, YouTube, and a big handful of edibles

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Is there any place you can find free RATs or is the best method now to go to Walgreens and do testing with insurance?

I don’t want to pay for RATs anymore, it’s ridiculous.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

maxwellhill posted:

ew, don't reply to my posts

Don't be weird

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lib and let die posted:

I wanna see the greasy goon locks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Loucks posted:

Yes, part of the combination does serve to slow breakdown of the other part. I’m not on pax rn, and I’m certainly not going to pass my kid a blunt. My point is that this interaction is not especially significant compared to some of the stuff one could easily mix with pax. For example, diarrhea is a common side effect, but when I look at interactions with anti-diarrheal meds:

But can we really know that mixing these drugs is a bad idea when no one has yet done a randomized controlled trial on the combination???

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Earloop KF94 or flat-fold style KN95 with flash tape (from Ricky's in the US or Priceline in Aus) across the top and down the sides, or all the way around if you can stand it. Uncomfortable but it stays sealed when you take each side's earloop off. The flat-fold shape makes it easier to talk without the tape pulling at your skin, but it would probably still work with a standard KN95.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just a heads up for anyone trying to get Trident N95's for their kids

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1698326583239385289

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Don't be weird

Seems like a valid response to me :shrug:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

Seems like a valid response to me :shrug:

Yeah, that poster sucks rear end, though ideally they’re ignored entirely.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bastard Tetris posted:

Do not shove 100-200 Imodium up your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

RandomBlue posted:

Do not shove 100-200 Imodium up your rear end.

Lol. Yeeeep that's a surgical bowel