Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

redshirt posted:

I wonder if the tires leave any rubber residue, and reduce performance of the plane.

rubber residue, no. encourage algae growth/collect dirt that definitely does, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I thought the cardboard drones were from
Australia not Finland

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm sure heaving lots of extra weight on a wing for hours a day will surely not shorten the life span of it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tai posted:

I'm sure heaving lots of extra weight on a wing for hours a day will surely not shorten the life span of it.

They're already full of fuel and subject to immense stress during flight, so, no, some tires on them while on the ground really aren't going to do anything in that regard.

Planes in general are built to withstand far beyond the absolute max stress they will ever face in the real world.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I thought the cardboard drones were from
Australia not Finland

If you draw eyes on the drone, the propeller makes it look like a Spurdo face. It was only a matter of time.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

The_Franz posted:

They're already full of fuel and subject to immense stress during flight, so, no, some tires on them while on the ground really aren't going to do anything in that regard.

Planes in general are built to withstand far beyond the absolute max stress they will ever face in the real world.

that said, it sure looks like they're all over the NO STEP areas. I mean, it's not going to make the wing fall off or affect structural members in any way but I could see some nontrivial dents in the wing skin if those are truck tires.
Not that it will destroy the aircraft, or even necessarily damage the panel (once it's un-dented by some means), ofc.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

How do you know the tires aren't just painted on the wings? Checkmate Ukrainalures.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

McGavin posted:

If you draw eyes on the drone, the propeller makes it look like a Spurdo face. It was only a matter of time.

Ooohhhh duh

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tai posted:

Those planes are old as gently caress I dont even know what the lifespan on a Tu-95 airframe is. The last new Boeing B-52 airframe was delivered in 1962. Its kinda interesting how impervious and long lasting these planes could be, but also :lol: that some cardboard drones got more Russkie nuke bomber kills than the entirety of the USAF strategic command :v:

Its not an understatement to say that hundreds, if not thousands of people spent their entire career thinking about fighting those loving things. And now they have tires on the wings because their neighbor (whom they picked a fight with) is destroying them with the equivalent of RC planes and sticks of dynamite. What even is this timeline

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
TIL that the cardboard drones benefit from cardboard being hard for radar to pick up, so they're technically stealth drones.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

tiaz posted:

rubber residue, no. encourage algae growth/collect dirt that definitely does, yes.

NATO Responsible for Massive Mosquito Epidemic in Russia!

(soon to be major Russian propaganda rag headline, probably)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If only Prig’s plane was completely covered in old, dirty tires, he’d still be here entertaining us

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tai posted:

Idk what with them being designed to carry a whole plane full of cargo into the air and whatnot

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Bluemillion posted:

Comedy option: The tires form a good enough seal against the wings that they fill with rainwater, and the extra weight breaks the wings.

The wings need to hold the weight of the entire airplane. And while usually the airplane hangs from the wings and not vice versa, because of turbulence and other transient loads, there needs to be serious strength in the other direction too. The MTOW of a TU-95 is like 200t, the wings are not going to break because of the water stuck in a couple of hundred tires.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Exclusive wartime footage of Russian pilots preparing their aircraft for a mission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWqYWI5PIsk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I keep seeing the Bane scene at the beginning of that Batman movie.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12210451/Russia-accuses-preparing-target-troops-drones-carrying-malaria-bearing-mosquitoes.html

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

It begins!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

rowkey bilbao posted:

They'll move those tires a couple times and then they'll stop bothering. One day one of those planes will take minor damage at takeoff because someone forgot a tire on top.

Nah. it's a photo from months back for posterity. Puccia remains the single-most effective combatant!

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

redshirt posted:

I keep seeing the Bane scene at the beginning of that Batman movie.

You're a Prig guy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All You Can Eat posted:

You're a Prig guy

*gets mustard

4U

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 3, 2023

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Tires on the plane. Standing water. Mosquitoes.

I'm tired of these motherfucking tires on this motherfucking plane!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Fultoning Russian officers with a drone to interrogate them sounds like propaganda to cover for Putin using the technology to give some officers in the field the old huge falls treatment! Always with the false flags. :lol:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

I would put more faith in the NATO Warlock towers stealing Russian souls though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Heres the source for the interview about the skill crane drones in mk.ru, which wikipedia describes as a tabloid: https://www.mk.ru/politics/2023/08/21/specnazovec-akhmata-rasskazal-ob-ukrainskikh-dronakh-s-kleshnyami-pokhishhayushhikh-ranenykh.html

Machine translation:

quote:

The commando says that the opposing side is actively using large copters, which have received the name "Baba Yaga" among our fighters. This is a large "bird", almost the size of a man, capable of carrying up to four 82-mm and up to two 120-mm mines. It flies on a gasoline engine, which is why it is very noisy in itself. Power is enough for an average of fifteen heavy flights. The drone operates exclusively at night, as during the day it is easy to detect and shoot down.

He is usually accompanied by two small reconnaissance copters, such as ordinary "Mavics". They, one might say, are the eyes of the Baba Yaga, since the machine has a very poor camera.

- The same large drones, only slightly more modernized, were previously used by the enemy in the Zaporozhye direction in order to steal our wounded, - the fighter continues. - The drone is equipped with special devices that visually resemble claws, with which it captures a person who is not able to run away, hide or fight him off.

Sounds far fetched, but :shrug:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Baba Yaga has joined forces with the perfidious West.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The West spent billions of dollars to construct hardened bunkers to maximize survivability of their airframes in the face of all but a direct nuclear strike.
The Russians just used a pile of tires.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

The West spent billions of dollars to construct hardened bunkers to maximize survivability of their airframes in the face of all but a direct nuclear strike.
The Russians just used a pile of tires.

*Vlad points to head meme

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
"Where the rubber meets the cope"

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I can confirm that Ukraine has constructed a giant claw machine to abduct unaware russian soldiers

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Zelenskiy has decided to replace Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov with Rustem Umerov

quote:

Reznikov “went through these more than 550 days of full-scale war. I believe the ministry now needs new approaches and other formats of interaction with both the military and society as a whole.”
However, rumors of a possible Reznikov resignation or ouster had mounted after a series of accusations of corruption within the ministry.
In January, Ukrainian media reported that the Defense Ministry had allegedly purchased products for the military at inflated prices through a "gasket" company. Other charges of corruption were also alleged in the media.

But the 57-year-old Reznikov played a key role in persuading Ukraine's Western allies to provide billions of dollars in military aid and sophisticated weapons to assist Kyiv's fight against Russian forces.

Some info on Ustemov

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 3, 2023

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Cartoon Man posted:

So this has gotta be another example of Russia just doing anything in response to a disaster in order to show the top brass that they’re doing something in response, never mind how ludicrous or worthless it actually is…right?

This is obviously a response to the reports that perfidious Ukrainians have access to Don Karnage's lightning gun.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

gently caress what Mega Man had the drones like thatw as it Magnet Man in MM3 goons you know what to do

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's called gacha, get it right you perfidious westoids

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Turns out there was a second hot dog man assassination

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1698132631961940081?t=Kbs-l3qu7tpTfkd7hXrndw&s=19

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Someone help me with my IFV
https://twitter.com/AFVRec_/status/1698406161727308049

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Abe Frohminski? NooooOOOOoOoO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

There are two things you must never do in Russia, and one of them is put meat into tubes.