Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
catching up on all the Friedkin's I haven't seen... what a fuckin trip Bug is. Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon just GO for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s so dumb that people try to make movies that recapture the vibe of movies from the 70s. They should be trying to recapture the vibe of movies from 1999

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

It’s so dumb that people try to make movies that recapture the vibe of movies from the 70s. They should be trying to recapture the vibe of movies from 1999

This is violence, on me specifically

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

This is violence, on me specifically

Imagine a movie coming out today with the exact visual style and sense of cool as Dracula 2000. They would never do it, our hosed modern world is too cynical.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
speaking of detectives i just started reading the Strugatsky’s The Dead Mountaineer’s Inn :cop:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Impossible to replicate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Although that new Star Wars show is doing well at capturing the vibe of the phantom menace

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Putting a mirror in a hallway to trap Dracula because he casts no reflection so he doesn’t realize he’s walking into a dead end is insanely clever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Although that new Star Wars show is doing well at capturing the vibe of the phantom menace

Wait, It's good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Wait, It's good?

Dracula 2000? So far, no

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Make mid '90s blockbusters again, like Speed, Demolition Man, and Judge Dredd

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

Wait, It's good?

Dracula 2000? Not really, but parts are fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Dracula 2000? Not really, but parts are fun.

Yeah this is an extremely less than the sum of its parts movie.

Great Omar Epps performance. But Omar Epps always does good work.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Any new horror movie recs?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

A little early to say mid-90s, but I just rewatched The Fugitive the other day for the first time in like 25 years, and it's still excellent. Great cinematography, great acting, a twisty murder mystery, and perfect escalation of suspense. The early 90s were some good years for some great movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Any new horror movie recs?

The horror thread will light u a torch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hey idiots, if the fake sidewalk you built for your actor to land on visibly bounces at impact, don’t show the moment of impact! Idiots!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Imagine a movie coming out today with the exact visual style and sense of cool as Dracula 2000. They would never do it, our hosed modern world is too cynical.

That's just Malignant.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Hey idiots, if the fake sidewalk you built for your actor to land on visibly bounces at impact, don’t show the moment of impact! Idiots!

What, that part of the matrix (1999) was great. Wish we got more real life looney tunes poo poo in that series tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

What, that part of the matrix (1999) was great. Wish we got more real life looney tunes poo poo in that series tbh

Yeah but that was intentional. I'm talking about the part in Dracula 2000 where she's supposedly landing on a real sidewalk. She didn't even fall that far and she has vampire powers so we know she's fine, there was no reason to milk it for drama at all, let alone show the moment of impact.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Bogus Adventure posted:

They tried, it was called Morbius

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven’t seen the equalizer movies but they seem pretty 90s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

Wait, It's good?

Wut dos yer art tell you?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

They tried and succeeded, it was called Venom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom and Venom let there be carnage are masterpieces

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Island of Dr. Moreau is the jewel in Marlon Brando's crown.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Eason the Fifth posted:

A little early to say mid-90s, but I just rewatched The Fugitive the other day for the first time in like 25 years, and it's still excellent. Great cinematography, great acting, a twisty murder mystery, and perfect escalation of suspense. The early 90s were some good years for some great movies.

Absolutely

This is the correct answer

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

This would go well for exactly two years.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

1999 gave us Galaxy Quest and The Mummy, as well as Wing Commander and Wild Wild West.

In other words, it gave us tons of hits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Regal Cinemas has reportedly removed the corny movie quotes intro from their movies.

Edit: AMC really hit some magical sweet spot of “so bad it’s good” with theirs. People are reciting Kidman’s lines along with her and cosplaying like her to the point that irony and sincerity are hard to separate

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 4, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Steve Yun posted:

Regal Cinemas has reportedly removed the corny movie quotes intro from their movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISUpmzfDD0

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Goons. What is your dad’s favourite movie?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not sure which but 100% sure it was either a war movie made before 1970 or a cowboy movie

Edit: watching his vhs of The Longest Day after having seen Saving Private Ryan was a trip

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 4, 2023

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I never really asked him, but he really does enjoy the first two austin powers movies

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Easy Rider, the old hippie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Orpheum was playing Metropolis with a live quartet today. It was extremely rad. The quartet had an industrial sound. They incorporated sound effects into to score. I’m probably gonna see them do The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari next month.

The only thing that kinda killed the magic was seeing Windows Media Player unpause the movie after the intermission.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Venom and Venom let there be carnage are masterpieces

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Rust posted:

I'm pretty sure its one of either Airplane, Young Frankenstein, or Silent Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

The Day The Earth Stood Still.