Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I did learn however from a motility expert recently that you really can just give infinite senna though... :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1698437917687902657?t=0e_o5RHSMrQYmj4QZc18zA&s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

as another alcoholic that sucks to hear

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Liver failure sucks rear end. Best to not get that...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nexous posted:

as another alcoholic that sucks to hear

Seeing my likely future is pretty grim imo

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the "L" was for "Liver"! she was trying to warn you!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yes I'm italian

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I find it very funny seeing someone out in the wild wearing a surgical mask but dicknosing, it's such a wild whirlwind of decisions.

Also my anecdotal experience with scanning liver failure/mets so bad your liver is now just an apartment for cancer is that is one of the worst ways to slowly die.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

I find it very funny seeing someone out in the wild wearing a surgical mask but dicknosing, it's such a wild whirlwind of decisions.

Also my anecdotal experience with scanning liver failure/mets so bad your liver is now just an apartment for cancer is that is one of the worst ways to slowly die.

You can have all the sweet diarrhea juice you can handle to try to get some of that brainmelting ammonia out of your system.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A bit of fuel for the fire of "gently caress you for removing masking in hospitals":
"Study finds COVID was worse for cancer patients as CDC considers easing infection control guidelines"

https://www.ctinsider.com/connecticut/article/covid-omicron-cancer-deaths-study-18338073.php posted:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and its Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee are coming under fire for considering relaxing infection control guidelines at hospitals and other medical settings, even as cases of the Eris variant of COVID are on the rise.

A recent study published last week in the Journal of the American Medical Association highlights the need for strict infection controls in health care facilities.

“During the Omicron wave, which was characterized by high transmission of COVID-19, we saw high COVID-19 mortality among patients with cancer,” wrote study author Alexandra Potter, clinical research coordinator at Massachusetts General Hospital. “It’s possible that in this upcoming wave … that we may see another spike in COVID-19 mortality among patients with cancer.”
(..)
“The pandemic is ‘over’ according to some, but clearly, it’s not over for others,” said Dr. Roberts. He said he was worried about cancer patients because vaccines do not work as well for them. Some cancer treatments also cause immunosuppression. “If you think about that patient and all of a sudden there are no masks, no testing … what tools do we have left to help them?”
(..)
An open letter to the CDC called on the agency to reverse course on loosening infection prevention measures. The letter was signed by scientists, epidemiologists, healthcare workers and researchers, including two professors from Yale.

“We have called on the CDC to fully recognize aerosol transmission," said Rocelyn De Leon-Minch, an industrial hygienist for National Nurses United which is at the forefront of the push for the CDC to strengthen infection controls. She said that it was particularly important that the CDC not equivocate on surgical masks with N95 respirators for airborne infection control.

“Four years into the pandemic and we know these measures work,” said De Leon-Minch. “Unfortunately (the committee) is still refusing to recognize the science on aerosol transmission. It’s really ridiculous.”
(..)
The study authors say that their findings highlight the need for reconsidering infection controls, such as masking in hospitals for patients who have cancer and other immune-compromising diseases.
(..)
“This study points toward the fact that vulnerable groups continue to be impacted quite severely by COVID-19,” Roberts said. “We need to think carefully about removing COVID restrictions.”

Article proper:
"Deaths Due to COVID-19 in Patients With Cancer During Different Waves of the Pandemic in the US"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaoncology/fullarticle/2809037?guestAccessKey=85118918-ccbf-4525-bfd9-90914fdc12ad posted:

Key Points
Question Did COVID-19 mortality differ between patients with cancer and the general US population depending on which SARS-CoV-2 variant was dominant?

Findings Among 34 350 patients with cancer who died during the COVID-19 pandemic during periods in which wild-type, Delta, and Omicron variants were predominant between March 2020 and May 2022, the number of deaths was higher during the winter Omicron surge compared with the preceding year’s winter surge of the wild-type variant. In contrast, there were 29% fewer COVID-19 deaths in the general population during the winter Omicron surge compared with the preceding year’s winter surge.

Meaning Findings of this study suggest that patients with cancer experienced a disparate burden of COVID-19 mortality during the winter Omicron wave; strategies to prevent COVID-19 transmission should remain a high priority as new variants arise.

Abstract
Importance With the ongoing relaxation of guidelines to prevent COVID-19 transmission, particularly in hospital settings, medically vulnerable groups, such as patients with cancer, may experience a disparate burden of COVID-19 mortality compared with the general population.

Objective To evaluate COVID-19 mortality among US patients with cancer compared with the general US population during different waves of the pandemic.

Design, Setting, and Participants This cross-sectional study used data from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Wide-Ranging Online Data for Epidemiologic Research database to examine COVID-19 mortality among US patients with cancer and the general population from March 1, 2020, to May 31, 2022. The number of deaths due to COVID-19 during the 2021 to 2022 winter Omicron surge was compared with deaths during the preceding year’s COVID-19 winter surge (when the wild-type SARS-CoV-2 variant was predominant) using mortality ratios. Data were analyzed from July 21 through August 31, 2022.

Exposures Pandemic wave during which the wild-type variant (December 2020 to February 2021), Delta variant (July 2021 to November 2021), or Omicron variant (December 2021 to February 2022) was predominant.

Main Outcomes and Measures Number of COVID-19 deaths per month.

Results The sample included 34 350 patients with cancer (14 498 females [42.2%] and 19 852 males [57.8%]) and 628 156 members of the general public (276 878 females [44.1%] and 351 278 males [55.9%]) who died from COVID-19 when the wild-type (December 2020-February 2021), Delta (July 2021-November 2021), and winter Omicron (December 2021-February 2022) variants were predominant. Among patients with cancer, the greatest number of COVID-19 deaths per month occurred during the winter Omicron period (n = 5958): at the peak of the winter Omicron period, there were 18% more deaths compared with the peak of the wild-type period. In contrast, among the general public, the greatest number of COVID-19 deaths per month occurred during the wild-type period (n = 105 327), and at the peak of the winter Omicron period, there were 21% fewer COVID-19 deaths compared with the peak of the wild-type period. In subgroup analyses by cancer site, COVID-19 mortality increased the most, by 38%, among patients with lymphoma during the winter Omicron period vs the wild-type period.

Conclusions and Relevance Findings of this cross-sectional study suggest that patients with cancer had a disparate burden of COVID-19 mortality during the winter Omicron wave compared with the general US population. With the emergence of new, immune-evasive SARS-CoV-2 variants, many of which are anticipated to be resistant to monoclonal antibody treatments, strategies to prevent COVID-19 transmission should remain a high priority.

For me personally, the most absurd thing about this is that this research should be needed at all as a part of the argument. Could anyone actually be surprised at the conclusion?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Asproigerosis posted:

Was in Memphis recently and saw someone at Home Depot double masked, cloth over surgical, and dick nosing. WTF are you even doing?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RandomBlue posted:

Was in Memphis recently and saw someone at Home Depot double masked, cloth over surgical, and dick nosing. WTF are you even doing?

They probably live nearby :shrug:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Sep 4, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

anytime I see a non-worker or oldie in a mask I assume they actually have COVID and either have a half a conscious, or someone they shop with was bitching at them to wear a mask

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nexous posted:

it’s cool I was born infertile so I don’t have to get Covid to save the earth

drat, I paid for mine. I assume it's better through surgery than disease, though.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Turtle Sandbox posted:

drat, I paid for mine. I assume it's better through surgery than disease, though.

dang I didn’t have surgery or disease so your post is kind of weird thanks for letting me know

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Asproigerosis posted:

I find it very funny seeing someone out in the wild wearing a surgical mask but dicknosing, it's such a wild whirlwind of decisions..

I’ve come around to finding this funny too because it pisses off maskers and anti-maskers alike.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My old man called me to tell me he finally got got. He seemed interested in trying to get Pax. He said he knows people whose doctors told them not to take it, but that could be for a variety of medication complication reasons.

Right now it sounds like he's gonna be fine. What bothers me is that this will just keep happening, year after year, from now on. I suppose mortality was always like that, though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I suppose mortality was always like that, though.
the hits keep coming, and they don't stop coming

sorry your dad got got, hope he has an easy time of it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

the hits keep coming, and they don't stop coming

sorry your dad got got, hope he has an easy time of it

Boo

RIP to Steve :(

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Question: Moderna ba 4-5, Pfizer ba 4-5, or original novavax for booster no 5.

I'm leaning to novavax again for wider, general protection again or Moderna for Pokémon completion vibes.

Any data on effectiveness to hand?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I just heard the DJ on the radio tell me that I don't want to hear it, but COVID never went away and I need to be extra diligent with my handwashing.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
last night a DJ saved my life

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
covid

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BOGO LOAD posted:

last night a DJ saved my life

with a song?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

maxwellhill posted:

noooooooo they do not lol

ok by “most” I mean the last one I used

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BCR posted:

I'm leaning to novavax again for wider, general protection again or Moderna for Pokémon completion vibes.

I also would love to see data. But based on past data where Moderna owns bones, plus the fact I'm Moderna x 4 already, I might just stay team M.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Re: CRISPR Therapeutics

They do awesome stuff but now JPow raised interest rates and the companies are folding left and right

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
CRISPR deez nuts

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
MKII "toasty!" guy, except he says "CRISPR!"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BCR posted:

are you not expecting to have the updated XBB shots available? it's like less than a month from distribution.

I would absolutely not get dated strain boosters at this point if you have XBB targeted vax on the horizon. the risk of OAS seems real-er as the circulating virus diverges more and more

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

No xbb vaccines for at least another 6 months to a year I think.

This is Australia being conservative and gate keeping.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

that’s alcoholism. this isn’t:
https://twitter.com/tmbg/status/1698563177292640545?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
could be anything! including Covid induced liver failure in somebody who already has alcohol induced cirrhosis

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/11/14/4249/htm

https://twitter.com/shawng927/status/1293691226609332224?s=46

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Sep 4, 2023

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

lmao, august 12 of 2020

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

posting on the pestilence page
https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1698494078256566404

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

freedom has a cost etc

figjam
Jun 28, 2008

BCR posted:

No xbb vaccines for at least another 6 months to a year I think.

This is Australia being conservative and gate keeping.

I assume we'll have XBB boosters for everyone going into winter next year, when whatever's circulating is unrecognisable. I snuck in #6 last week, before ATAGI clarified not to, and got Novavax FWIW. No data beyond them all being junk against XBB onwards. I figured imprinting and waning are bigger worries for the outdated mRNA jabs and Novavax is more variant agnostic, as well as being a better primer for their XBB jab (next year) and generally being better for side effects (had zero). Cool having to make health decisions based on vibes.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

could be anything! including Covid induced liver failure in somebody who already has alcohol induced cirrhosis

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/11/14/4249/htm

https://twitter.com/shawng927/status/1293691226609332224?s=46

bahahaha Sturgis

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Pillowpants posted:

bahahaha Sturgis

he aint the sharpest tool in the shed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smash mouth guy has had poor health for years now. his recent outbursts remind of someone I knew who started acting even more strangely than usual from hepatic encephalopathy before they died from liver failure. weird outbursts and aggression that weren’t anything like their normal self. alcoholism sucks rear end and will really gently caress you up