Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Without asking him, I'd bet Hard Boiled. Or The Killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Goons. What is your dad’s favourite movie?

12 Angry Men

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Regal Cinemas has reportedly removed the corny movie quotes intro from their movies.

Edit: AMC really hit some magical sweet spot of “so bad it’s good” with theirs. People are reciting Kidman’s lines along with her and cosplaying like her to the point that irony and sincerity are hard to separate

It helps that it's Nicole Kidman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jay Rust posted:

The Shawshank redemption

Or tombstone

I forgot which

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Blues Brothers

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Jay Rust posted:

Dumb and Dumber

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My dad's is The Natural.

Baseball is his life

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7DqccP1Q_4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My dad is very old, conservative, and doesn't really enjoy media at all, but somehow he commented that Coming To America and Short Circuit are "really great movies."

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The only movies I can remember him really go on about are Koyannasqatsi and Thor Ragnorok

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

My dad is very old, conservative, and doesn't really enjoy media at all, but somehow he commented that Coming To America and Short Circuit are "really great movies."

He doesn't like media? What does he like, paintings of battleships from the age of sail?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

What does he like, paintings of battleships from the age of sail?

This is my dad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jay Rust posted:

Meet The Spartans.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Equalizer 3 was a pretty slow burn movie.
never watched the other two. But it seemed like a good end of a trilogy to whatever it was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Cool Hand Luke

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Jay Rust posted:

Apollo 13

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jay Rust posted:

Haven't spoken to him in decades but I'd bet my boots its still either The Battle of Britain or The Right Stuff.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I bet Patton is the #1 boomer dad movie. The rest of the top 10 is probably all Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That or Dirty Harry

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
https://x.com/thesocrateej/status/1693677652710916585?s=46&t=7qjKPPKrEHSewLFMtyUjEw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Equalizer 3 was a pretty slow burn movie.
never watched the other two. But it seemed like a good end of a trilogy to whatever it was.

The last third of 1 is Home Alone in a Home Depot with Denzel vs. A bunch of Russian gangsters. It is absolutely absurd and beautiful to watch.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

The last third of 1 is Home Alone in a Home Depot with Denzel vs. A bunch of Russian gangsters. It is absolutely absurd and beautiful to watch.

Not sure if the final actor parody of this but liked it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My dad was mostly into horror and crime movies. He watched movies constantly and had a a big projection tv and a full surround sound system and laser disc player and all that poo poo back in the 90s. No idea what his favorite was but he was always renting stuff like Deep Cover or Tales from the Hood

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
my stepdad's top two are the bodyguard and the hand that rocks the cradle

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Deep Cover is a underrated classic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

He doesn't like media? What does he like, paintings of battleships from the age of sail?

Mostly he consumed news, he just parks on CNN. Honestly he does read Tom Clancy type books but beyond that he doesn't really have any interest in music, film, or scripted TV. When law and order is on he will let it play. I think the last movie he saw in theaters was The Rock, and then only because The rest of us were going and my mom talked him into it.

He's a computer toucher going back to the early 60s; we used to have boxes of punchcards in the basement. He used to code or read about coding a lot but he's had some cognitive decline and can't really do that anymore.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jay Rust posted:

Possibly Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I remember him showing me the end to "A few good men" over and over. Just the end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Made me a bit sad that I don't know the answer to this with my dad passed. He liked indie dramas a lot, though, generally had good taste.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and The Jerk were papa’s faves

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For my dad it's probably Ben Hur. Grew up with that film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm seeing my dad today so I'll ask but I'm going to go with either a bond movie or a war movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd say the ending to 1 is more Friday the 13th than Home Alone; and even then Jason would look at what Denzel did and would've been like "Too far man!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Imaging the last assassin floating out in the middle of the lake and Denzel jumping out of the water to get him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The first Equalizer was very good for how it set up the bad guy as a supreme dirtbag you can't wait to see get what's his. Marton Csokas is tremendous as a heel and I'm not even mad he didn't get a fistfight with Denzel like Mikael Nyqvist did in the first John Wick. It was just fun to see him get his poo poo pushed in after going ham all movie long.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Rewatched War of the Worlds and Jurassic Park yesterday, both of which I had only seen once.

War of the Worlds was better than I remember. Yea the family reunion ending is lame and the Tim Robbins character drags the movie down, but the first two thirds are top tier Spielberg. Just an incredible sense of dread with amazing set pieces. Though the most terrifying scene might be the crowd trying to get into the car.

Jurassic Park I found disappointing when I saw it in theaters compared to the book, and the rewatch just further cemented my view. Yes Spielberg’s direction is fantastic and it has incredible action scenes, not to mention the visual effects are jaw dropping even to this day. But man the script is kinda weak and is marred by cheesy one liners. It’s still a very good movie but I don’t feel it’s as great as it seems most others do. I’d still rank it about WOTW but there’s quite a few Spielberg movies I’d rank higher.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Have you seen Duel?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

FunkyAl posted:

Have you seen Duel?

No that’s one I’ve always been meaning to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jurassic Park is probably the best movie ever made with a T-Rex in it, so if you watched it when you were 6 it's probably seared into your brain as just loving amazing.

Edit: someone is probably going to chime in claiming Tammy and the T-Rex is better, just to be contrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Land Before Time?