Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't sleep on this one, guy should've been a comedian as well as a politician.

In 2023, the highest compliment that can be paid to a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember a story, possibly apocryphal, that some early generations of Russian tankers were explicitly chosen for being short because they could actually fit in the current generation of tanks without needing to be folded into a pretzel.

I'm sure EnsignExpendible knows the answer. But I've tried to fit into a t34-85 and it is absolutely the case that only someone who was malnourished as a child and enjoys cave diving as a hobby could ever find that comfortable.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

piL posted:

In 2023, the highest compliment that can be paid to a politician.

Let alone being funny (beyond a one liner) in what is likely his second or even third language. Hell, even one liner jokes in a second language are hard as they often rely on idioms or cultural knowledge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Alchenar posted:

I'm sure EnsignExpendible knows the answer. But I've tried to fit into a t34-85 and it is absolutely the case that only someone who was malnourished as a child and enjoys cave diving as a hobby could ever find that comfortable.

I’m 5’11” and 200lbs. I got into a t72 driving position on my own but needed help getting out. A Sherman was easier to get in and out of.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember a story, possibly apocryphal, that some early generations of Russian tankers were explicitly chosen for being short because they could actually fit in the current generation of tanks without needing to be folded into a pretzel.

I'm pretty sure it's not apocryphal. The early T-34s were ~5 inches wider, and the best part of a foot lower than Panzer IVs, while also being sloped all round. That's a lot of internal space missing by comparison. Then as they continued to prioritised low profile and sloping over other considerations (crew comfort, gun depression etc) the IS-3 came out almost a foot lower again.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 4, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
They never did quite master the soft factors, did they?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I once was getting guidance on disassembling an expensive piece of equipment, and the guy was telling me "then you'll have to cut the adhesive holding the two delicate parts together, it'll be awkward so be careful. You could cut into the device, or worse, your hand!" And I remember thinking "poo poo, I think I'd rather give my hand a cut than gently caress up this thing up, at least my hand will heal!"

I was young and really didn't want to gently caress up a precious possession, but I suspect that feeling I had just sort of sums up Russian design/engineering/maintenance/everything theory.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Door Frame posted:

They never did quite master the soft factors, did they?

No, but then it's all a bit swings and roundabouts. They were making some amazing fighting machines, I would however not have wanted to squeeze into one.

The only true masters of holistic tank design were the British. Because you got a tea-maker.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't sleep on this one, guy should've been a comedian as well as a politician.

is it wrong to be amazed that the PM of a nation is sniping at another with this kind of joke? I mean maybe I'm just unaware of other times this has gone on, but this seems remarkably knives-out to me for a major government figure speaking publicly and on camera.
Not that I wish he hadn't, I enjoyed the joke.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The only true masters of holistic tank design were the British. Because you got a tea-maker.

I like to think they would bitterly complain about certain issued tea sachets the same way everyone does about MRE flavors. "Well at least they figured out how to put the 'grey' in 'earl grey' :mad:"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

tiaz posted:

is it wrong to be amazed that the PM of a nation is sniping at another with this kind of joke? I mean maybe I'm just unaware of other times this has gone on, but this seems remarkably knives-out to me for a major government figure speaking publicly and on camera.
Not that I wish he hadn't, I enjoyed the joke.

I like to think they would bitterly complain about certain issued tea sachets the same way everyone does about MRE flavors. "Well at least they figured out how to put the 'grey' in 'earl grey' :mad:"

I think this means that a number of nations are seeing that there is no cooperative future with Russia so long as Putin remains in charge. This has happened before when existential struggles dominate foreign relations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, it's a sign of waning influence as a result of Russia's embarrassments in this war. To a lesser extent, look to how world leaders began to mock Trump once they realised they couldn't rely on him, and therefore America under him.

tiaz posted:

British people actually only drink the shittest, cheapest black leaf tip teas. Tetley or PG tips etc. Earl Grey was invented by the writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Who also didn't know where France is.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 4, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Remember he's the President of Albania. The Balkans is the thunderdome of international relations at the best of times and there's not much love lost in the region for the country that's spent a hundred years enabling Serbia to do X.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, it's a sign of waning influence as a result of Russia's embarrassments in this war. To a lesser extent, look to how world leaders began to mock Trump once they realised they couldn't rely on him, and therefore America under him.

British people actually only drink the shittest, cheapest black leaf tip teas. Tetley or PG tips etc. Earl Grey was invented by the writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Who also didn't know where France is.

Earl Grey is a poo poo tier black tea covered up with bergamot oil but I don't think it was invented by the writers of Star Trek. Tetley claims they invented it, so does Jackson's of Picadilly.

It did get real famous off Star Trek though. Kinda curious if they shipped some tins of Tetley with the Challenger 2s

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
generalizing a bit but one really consistent thing i notice is that people from like, more than 2000km from russia do not even remotely seem to fathom the depth of sentiment towards russia from nearly everyone* living within 2000km of russia (or in many of the former soviet states in particular)

(*yes slightly generalizing here)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Earl grey is a good choice imo when you're somewhere where the other options are garbage-tier black tea or some "forest fruit" bullshit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

Earl grey is a good choice imo when you're somewhere where the other options are garbage-tier black tea or some "forest fruit" bullshit.

Unless it's Bigelow earl grey, that stuff is undrinkable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Am I going to eat a sixer if I say that I prefer chamomile?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

As long as you don't call it tea I think you're good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I live in a neighbourhood with a lot of Ukrainian folks, and the local tea shop has a smoky Earl Grey variant that, until February of 2022, was called “Russian Caravan”.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

orange juche posted:

Earl Grey is a poo poo tier black tea covered up with bergamot oil but I don't think it was invented by the writers of Star Trek. Tetley claims they invented it, so does Jackson's of Picadilly.

It did get real famous off Star Trek though. Kinda curious if they shipped some tins of Tetley with the Challenger 2s

It'd be real impressive if Star Trek dated back to the 1820s.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
While I have Darjeeling at home, I stay hydrated by making a good 1.5L pot of this in my office and drinking it over the course of my work. Don't want the caffeine from black tea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I live in a neighbourhood with a lot of Ukrainian folks, and the local tea shop has a smoky Earl Grey variant that, until February of 2022, was called “Russian Caravan”.

Oh yeah I know that one, haven't had it in years but remember it being good.

On a related note, lots of bars serving Kyiv Mules now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Subjunctive posted:

It's actually a lapsang souchong blend. The first time I had some, I thought someone was frying ham instead of making tea. Good tea, but a little disappointed to not have ham.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kchama posted:

It'd be real impressive if Star Trek dated back to the 1820s.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Sleepytime Extra with chamomile and Valerian root. The bear on the carton knows some secret truths.

Meanwhile, war bad and Russia should withdraw from all territory taken since 2014.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PurpleXVI posted:

Bah, my choice is Lipton Tropical Fruit in a large mug with hearty dose of soy milk. Let's see if sixer is enough.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

There's nothing wrong with PG Tips.

I say this as a Southerner who drowns most of my tea in sugar and ice. Still, perfectly acceptable at rear end-crack-in-the-morning when you run out of instant Cafe Bustelo. It's fine, I swear. Pop a caffeine pill beforehand and you'll barely taste it. Maybe add more milk than you usually would. Makes it smoother.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

generalizing a bit but one really consistent thing i notice is that people from like, more than 2000km from russia do not even remotely seem to fathom the depth of sentiment towards russia from nearly everyone* living within 2000km of russia (or in many of the former soviet states in particular)

I never realized the depths of German hatred for them until I was stationed there.

I mean, if I had bothered to think about it beforehand (I didn't), it'd make sense from WW2, the Cold War, and the partition of the country. But any German that felt comfortable talking politics with me, it always ended up in "no matter how annoying the US presence can be at times, we'd vastly prefer over dealing with those loving Russians by ourselves"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1698786102629355747

More on topic, unconfirmed rumours that Russia is going to attempt to mobilizing 200000 troops starting in about a week.

That IS a lot of dudes, but would they make a meaningful difference if the they have no training, threadbare equipment and no vehicles to take them to/around the front rapidly? The Russian populace is also putting up with a lot of poo poo for this war so far without any particularly visible unrest, is something like this liable to push them over the edge? At some point it's got to be obvious that Putin is going to shove them, their families and friends to the front lines until he gets something he can call a win, and unless they put a stop to it, they could be in the next mobilization wave.

Yanking 200k able-bodied people out of employment also seems like a great way to make an already-strained economy start popping bolts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yorkshire Tea is the way. Yorkshire Tea is the light.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What happened to the last 200k mobilized?? :ohdear:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Are they still targeting largely ethnic areas and going lightly on Muscovites?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

Bah, my choice is Lipton Tropical Fruit in a large mug with hearty dose of soy milk. Let's see if sixer is enough.

When we had a Teavana up the road from us I bought fruity herbal “teas” by the literal pound :lol:

That poo poo is insanely good, and because of a heart condition I can’t have caffeine so it’s like the best for me.

I haven’t tried grocery store fruity teas yet, I’ve just been drinking the gently caress out of water this summer.

Guess I’ll bite the bullet and go to the store and try their stuff out as the seasons change.

Ick on the soy milk though. I rarely put milk in my “tea” unless it was a strawberry or blueberry heavy, and only a dash too.

Lactose intolerant?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
someone should make seaweed tea so i could order tea, earl bay, hot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

GD_American posted:

I never realized the depths of German hatred for them until I was stationed there.

I dunno, a lot of East Germans really seem to be pining for the good old days of Russian proxy rule.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Ukrainians don't need to attack this plane, as it will only fly one more combat mission anyway.

Because when it gets back the plane will be retired.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1698874142957752322

No cause mentioned yet, but I'll go ahead and speculate it's a mine loss.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, the guy in the passenger seat clearly took some shrapnel from that arty round.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It will never not be strange to see normal cars driving around on the very front of the frontline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Parkingtigers posted:

The Ukrainians don't need to attack this plane, as it will only fly one more combat mission anyway.

Because when it gets back the plane will be retired.

:negative: