Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
yeah, itd be silly, and I can't imagine they wouldnt put both on there, but they only officially said 1. though I hope if they put lost age on there they do something to help make the transfer not the 300 character password or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sudsygoat posted:

the first GBA game at least will be on the gba emulator at some point, but I hadn't heard anything about a dark dawn port. and I don't know if lost age is being added or just the first 1. but this was from the original anouncement of the gba emulator being added

I think You can reasonably assume Lost Age will probably follow the original onto the platform eventually, given they're two halves of a single story.

Hope you like entering six pages of an alphanumeric character-based password to carry your save over though! :v:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

faantastic posted:

Should I be grinding in Sea of Stars? I've just hit lvl 10, and even with hitting the defensive timings there are these birds in the jungle path that hit me for ~62-68 HP which is 2/3rds my total health. Up until now I've been able to puzzle-out and stop big attacks but I've no idea how to stop both birds when they have 2 turns and one requires sword/sword/moon/moon/moon/ and the other is sword/sword/pois/pois/pois.

Have Serai use disorient to extend one timer, then have Valere use lunar shield

One attack will whiff and then you'll have the time to break the other one down

Grinding is a huge pain in the rear end since you have to leave the area to reset fights, and I haven't found it worth the time because the stat gain per level is pretty low

Pressing on to the next area increases xp gain by so much that it mostly makes pushing forward in the story the better use of your time

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

postmodifier posted:

Have Serai use disorient to extend one timer, then have Valere use lunar shield

One attack will whiff and then you'll have the time to break the other one down

Grinding is a huge pain in the rear end since you have to leave the area to reset fights, and I haven't found it worth the time because the stat gain per level is pretty low

Pressing on to the next area increases xp gain by so much that it mostly makes pushing forward in the story the better use of your time

TY. I didn't think grinding would be worth it, but forgot about lunar shield after not playing for two days.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think You can reasonably assume Lost Age will probably follow the original onto the platform eventually, given they're two halves of a single story.

Hope you like entering six pages of an alphanumeric character-based password to carry your save over though! :v:

NSO has a save transfer system they used for the JP release of the GBA Fire Emblem games.

Though it wasn't used for the Oracle games for whatever reason.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I decided on a lark to go back to Temtem since my friend said they overhauled alot of stuff. Started a new game a few days ago (I wasn't that far) and yeah wow. EXP gain is up across the board, trainer levels were lowered a bit and also every single trainer battle is no longer mandatory so you don't get horribly fatigued in every route.

I'm actually enjoying myself quite a bit now.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I was disappointed in the endgame facilities for Temtem but I liked the journey well enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

I was disappointed in the endgame facilities for Temtem but I liked the journey well enough.

What's wrong with the endgame stuff? I'm not there yet.

Just did my first battle with General X and got my rear end handed to me lol.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What's wrong with the endgame stuff? I'm not there yet.

I haven't played since the first couple weeks of full release so they likely changed it (I had around 300 hours in early access) but basically the rewards and time investment for the facilities was disproportionate in a bad way, and I was irritated by the micro transactions/monetization setup they'd brought out on release so I might have had a lower opinion because of that.

I really enjoyed the gameplay itself and I intend to go back down the line, but there's too many games I want to play before going back into a game like that.

On the topic of mon games, I saw Siralim 1-3 in the PS Store, was wondering if any goons here had experience with them; 3 in particular promises new content even 100 hours in but I'm dubious about that that entails.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've only played Siralim Ultimate but if the previous games are anything like that then I absolutely believe it has new content that deep in.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sirliam is setup so the "story" is just an extended tutorial and then the game has a bunch of end game stuff and new gameplay systems deeper in, yea.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've only played Ultimate in depth (I think it's by far the best) but I currently have 370 hours in my save file and am still actively playing and building different teams, so I buy it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Awesome, I'm gonna wishlist 3 for a couple months down the line since Ultimate doesn't seem to be out for ps4/5 yet.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Meant to comment on this but that's meant to happen, there's dialogue if you do win though. Someone made a team of 6 Pigapecs with the ability that hurts the Tem that knocks it out, and pulled it off.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Araxxor posted:

NSO has a save transfer system they used for the JP release of the GBA Fire Emblem games.

Though it wasn't used for the Oracle games for whatever reason.
save transfer? this is the first i'm hearing of this too, what does that mean exactly, does it simulate the link cable or generate a save for you where the link data has already been transferred or what

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Amppelix posted:

save transfer? this is the first i'm hearing of this too, what does that mean exactly, does it simulate the link cable or generate a save for you where the link data has already been transferred or what

This is a thread on it but basically simulates the link cable yeah.

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1672090555826810880

Unfortunately this system wasn't used for the Oracle games. No guarantee on whether it'd be used for Golden Sun, but the possibility of not having to put in a 260 character password with GBA inputs is there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's very cool and apparently super seamlessly implemented. i think different teams are in charge of the different systems being emulated (i remember hearing something about M2 doing GBA) so that's probably why this didn't come over to the oracle games.

i changed my mind, the biggest troll would actually be if golden sun 2 comes over by they still make you type out that drat password lmao

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Siralim Ultimate is one of my favourite games these days. It just plays like a dream and is completely ridiculous and you don't have to be a strategy genius to make completely broken builds.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Amppelix posted:

that's very cool and apparently super seamlessly implemented. i think different teams are in charge of the different systems being emulated (i remember hearing something about M2 doing GBA) so that's probably why this didn't come over to the oracle games.

i changed my mind, the biggest troll would actually be if golden sun 2 comes over by they still make you type out that drat password lmao

Also Oracle games involve passwords much shorter than you can snapshot when needed. Instead of the FE thing where it's cable only. Or god forbud the endless pages of the full Golden Sun Password.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Oh man it's really annoying that when you search something it doesn't include spoiler tags, finding this thread put a massive sea of stars spoiler for me.

Anyway. In Wheels what the gently caress do the different coloured wheels actually DO? I got the Silver one, but I don't see a way to use it or anything like that. Incidentally the wheels instructions are total nonsense, what the gently caress is 3oak? I mean I now understand how it works I just think they tell you in the absolute worst way.
The same goes for the fishing instructions, they're awful.

It's also ridiculous how easy the bosses are compared to just regular enemies. I've wiped a bunch on normal fights and honestly not even had a hard boss fight.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the oracles also intend you to go back and forth between the games a bunch as you find new passwords to enter in each, it's not just a one time thing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also the shortest golden sun password, which still transfers djinn, levels, side quest flags, and psynergy items, is only 16 characters, so if you go for the 260 character one for a bunch of garbage you're not going to use anyway on party members who are going to live on the bench, that's on you

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Finally working my way through Chained Echoes and it's every bit as good as everyone's been telling me it is.

Like most JRPGs, I do wish there was a hard mode where enemies had 1.5x HP and damage output.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Froghammer posted:

Finally working my way through Chained Echoes and it's every bit as good as everyone's been telling me it is.

Like most JRPGs, I do wish there was a hard mode where enemies had 1.5x HP and damage output.

I started this today and spent four hours (!) on it. This was after trying for a while to get into Grandia, which was interesting but hasn't aged well.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Do any modern RPGs still do the old school overworld map where you walk around a large scale map where everything is distinctly "shrunken down" scale while getting into encounters? It seems like at least from the games I've played or heard about, they almost entirely disappeared after Final Fantasy X. Even the "retro" RPGs I've played like Octopath Traveler don't have them.

Even though they're a very abstract thing, I always felt they give a much bigger sense of scale than games which only have a bunch of connected areas all in "real world" scale, or just have a menu to select areas. I feel like generally the worlds of newer games like that feel too small since it's easy to measure the "real" distance between locations in your head, while the intentionally vague nature of old overworlds makes it easier to imagine you are crossing a vast continent instead of walking between cities that are a short distance between each other. And of course it's easier that way to handwave away other contrivances of video game settings, like it's easier to assume that there are more minor settlements around the world than the towns your party can't enter and they just aren't worth visiting or whatever. It's also funny when a long-running series like Ultima or Exile/Avernum that takes place in the same setting switches from a multiple scale world map to everything on a single scale, and going from an earlier to a later game feels like the setting of the game has suddenly dramatically shrunk.

I feel like having encounters on the overworld map is also an important element to add friction.

I guess you could say that with increasingly advanced graphics, it feels increasingly silly to control a giant sized character walking around on a tiny map but if that's an issue there are ways to get around it like representing the party with an abstract icon instead of a character like in SMT, or a vehicle like an airship etc.

Anyway curious what games still have an old style world map.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Item Getter posted:

Ni no Kuni 2 is one that comes to mind. And it's just an HD port of an older game with some content the west never got, but Tales of Vesperia HD has it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bravely Default still has them, BD2's were a bit less abstracted and more like regions but they still count imo

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Harvestella had one, though without encounters, as a Chrono Trigger riff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sea of Stars still has you walking around on a world map, though it's usually pretty small short paths between actual areas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea Ni No Kuni is definitely the best example of it in the last decade. Which is a shame, I love a good world map. The Sea Of Stars one is definitely not a good one.

Froghammer posted:

I really liked the game but no, man, enemies are pretty hard later on you wouldn't want them to be stronger.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Item Getter posted:

Do any modern RPGs still do the old school overworld map where you walk around a large scale map where everything is distinctly "shrunken down" scale while getting into encounters? It seems like at least from the games I've played or heard about, they almost entirely disappeared after Final Fantasy X. Even the "retro" RPGs I've played like Octopath Traveler don't have them.

Even though they're a very abstract thing, I always felt they give a much bigger sense of scale than games which only have a bunch of connected areas all in "real world" scale, or just have a menu to select areas. I feel like generally the worlds of newer games like that feel too small since it's easy to measure the "real" distance between locations in your head, while the intentionally vague nature of old overworlds makes it easier to imagine you are crossing a vast continent instead of walking between cities that are a short distance between each other. And of course it's easier that way to handwave away other contrivances of video game settings, like it's easier to assume that there are more minor settlements around the world than the towns your party can't enter and they just aren't worth visiting or whatever. It's also funny when a long-running series like Ultima or Exile/Avernum that takes place in the same setting switches from a multiple scale world map to everything on a single scale, and going from an earlier to a later game feels like the setting of the game has suddenly dramatically shrunk.

I feel like having encounters on the overworld map is also an important element to add friction.

I guess you could say that with increasingly advanced graphics, it feels increasingly silly to control a giant sized character walking around on a tiny map but if that's an issue there are ways to get around it like representing the party with an abstract icon instead of a character like in SMT, or a vehicle like an airship etc.

SaGa Scarlet Grace sorta has it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's funny watching the Sea of Stars comment threads a week later, just a nonstop war of "I stopped playing after 10 hours because of characters/simple plot/simple combat" vs "Bruh I'm 30 hours in and I AM HOOKED AS gently caress ARE YOU BLIND?????"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Item Getter posted:

The Owlcat Pathfinder games have that. I'm not a big fan of it though because it makes traveling around a chore. Although that's partly because it introduces a fatigue system.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Owlcat Pathfinder games have that. I'm not a big fan of it though because it makes traveling around a chore. Although that's partly because it introduces a fatigue system.

Pillars of Eternity II does this as well, the only thing missing is a low poly model of the main character as your map avatar

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Froghammer posted:

I've been recovering from surgery stuff over the weekend, so I put about 15 hours into chained echoes

And man, the combat system is beating my rear end something fierce. I've had to restart multiple battles due to things getting out of control with the overdrive meter and getting into a doom spiral that I couldn't get out of, so I think the challenge level is about right for me lol. Biggest thing that's gotten me is tunneling too hard on damage and not managing the meter early enough in big battles with lots of enemies, since they can pump the gauge a ton on their turn and make it very hard to keep up

So far the most effective strategy for me has been: Sienna (katana lady) burning things with physical damage, Lenne burning things with elemental damage, then using other characters to apply wet/dry/oil/paralyze to exploit those weaknesses for pretty huge amounts of damage. Not sure if I'm making things harder on myself or something by doing that, but it's let me really burn through bosses as long as I'm careful to not end up in a gauge spiral

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I dropped Sea of Stars after 8~ hours. The art is the only thing it has going for it. Music is okay, but a lot of it is forgettable.

The combat initially seemed like a nice step up from old-school JRPGs, but quickly became repetitive. Only three normal skills per character? I watched some streams, and it looks like there's eventually a bit of additional complexity, but not much. You're still gonna be doing the same moonerang mini game all the way to the end.

The characters, especially the two main characters, are boring as gently caress. They lack their own motivations. There's zero conflict.

The random villagers have NOTHING interesting to say, whereas in other similar games, even if the villagers are inconsequential, they're at least used as an opportunity for humorous interactions or observations about the game world.

The dialogue writing is straight garbage, but that might be tolerable if the above issues didn't exist. It's not like SNES RPGs had brilliant dialogue writing, especially with the original translations. But characters in those games at least had personalities that broke through the dialogue. And Chrono Trigger and FF6 had great plotting as well. Plotting in Sea of Stars just feels like do a thing, do another thing. Guy told me to do a thing so guess I will.

I switched to Cassette Beasts, and the writing is so, so much better, without being particularly complex or adult. A game doesn't have to be Disco Elysium to have good writing. It just has to be COMPETENT. Everything besides the art in Sea of Stars is below competent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cassette beasts is grand and the combat is fiendishly exploitable

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rascyc posted:

It's funny watching the Sea of Stars comment threads a week later, just a nonstop war of "I stopped playing after 10 hours because of characters/simple plot/simple combat" vs "Bruh I'm 30 hours in and I AM HOOKED AS gently caress ARE YOU BLIND?????"

10 hours definitely seems to be the breaking point. It's also before it gives you a way to explore the map and before a lot of it "opens up" (at least to a degree)
I'm saying that (20 hours in) it's a pretty bad game.

It looks really nice. And that's kinda all it has going for it. It's nice playing the battles at first but man they DO NOT CHANGE even after 20 hours and it starts getting super repetative.
And all the gear doesn't display, plus it's always (okay, there's one exception) just a straight upgrade. Nothing to decide or think about.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 5, 2023

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
So... is Chained Echos better than Sea of Stars? I heard mixed things about both.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

poe meater posted:

So... is Chained Echos better than Sea of Stars? I heard mixed things about both.

Yes. 100%
The story in Chained Echoes works better. It's not as pretty, but they both do REALLY similar stuff and Echoes does it much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Imo Chained Echoes is way better.

Sea of Stars opens with the things people dislike; Its writing and lack of combat variety.

Chained Echoes finishes with them; Its mech combat and its crystal power ups.