Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

biceps crimes posted:

alcoholism sucks rear end and will really gently caress you up

skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm a few weeks behind on sharing this, sorry if it already came out, but it was wild to see both the family tweet and the lede of the article directly name the cause here:

https://defector.com/bray-wyatt-was-wrestlings-most-irrepressible-star

quote:

Windham Rotunda, the wrestler best known as Bray Wyatt in WWE, died from a heart attack arising from complications from COVID-19 on Thursday. He was 36 years old.

https://nitter.net/SeanRossSapp/status/1694865077621359086

It made me feel a bit less like I'm taking crazy pill from assuming any unnamed illness written is either covid or long-covid complications that people just don't name as such.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

figjam posted:

I assume we'll have XBB boosters for everyone going into winter next year, when whatever's circulating is unrecognisable. I snuck in #6 last week, before ATAGI clarified not to, and got Novavax FWIW. No data beyond them all being junk against XBB onwards. I figured imprinting and waning are bigger worries for the outdated mRNA jabs and Novavax is more variant agnostic, as well as being a better primer for their XBB jab (next year) and generally being better for side effects (had zero). Cool having to make health decisions based on vibes.

lmao ATAGI makes the FDA look like a well oiled machine

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

toggle posted:

freedom has a cost etc

That most important freedom: freedom of politicians from the consequences of their actions.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

this is why all the pieces claiming that millennials will be such a long-lived generation compared to the people that came before are bullshit, we've got so much harmful consumption pushed at us and normalized in the name of the economy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Greatest Generation end up the ones with peak life expectancy, they grew up and lived in a time when healthcare was affordable and people were still physically active.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Harwell had a six-month-old (IIRC) who died of leukemia. I'd probably be an alcoholic after that too. Sorry to see him go out like this.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pingui posted:

A bit of fuel for the fire of "gently caress you for removing masking in hospitals":
"Study finds COVID was worse for cancer patients as CDC considers easing infection control guidelines"

Article proper:
"Deaths Due to COVID-19 in Patients With Cancer During Different Waves of the Pandemic in the US"

For me personally, the most absurd thing about this is that this research should be needed at all as a part of the argument. Could anyone actually be surprised at the conclusion?

I wouldn't say it's needed, in the sense that it will have no impact on decision-making.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/04/covid-testing-to-be-scaled-up-in-england-as-winter-pressure-on-nhs-draws-near posted:

Covid testing to be scaled up in England as winter pressure on NHS draws near
A new variant and waning immunity mean surveillance that had been wound down since pandemic will be increased

Coronavirus testing and monitoring are set to be scaled up for the winter, the UK’s public health agency has said, as pressures on the health service are expected to rise in the coming months.

Scientists warned last month that the UK was nearly “flying blind” when it comes to Covid, because many of the surveillance programmes that were in place at the height of the pandemic have been wound down.

Now the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has confirmed that it is planning to boost testing and surveillance as winter approaches.

The announcement has been made as schools and universities in England prepare for the return of students this week after the summer break, employees head back to work and indoor gatherings become more common – factors that are known to increase the risk of respiratory infections, including Covid, spreading.

Prof Steven Riley, the director general of data, analytics and surveillance at the UKHSA, said: “Planned scaling up of testing and community surveillance for the winter season, when health pressures usually rise, is in progress and UKHSA will make a further announcement regarding community surveillance plans for this winter shortly.
(..)

Sounds good, but...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/04/covid-whats-the-situation-in-england-and-what-should-i-do-if-i-get-it posted:

Covid: what’s the situation in England, and what should I do if I get it?
As students return from their summer break and a new variant emerges, we look at the rules and advice
(..)
What should I do if I get Covid?
Rules and regulations may have gone, but experts say there are still measures worth taking.

If adults or children have Covid-like symptoms, have either a fever or feel unwell, the NHS recommends they try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people. Children with mild symptoms, however, can still be sent to school or childcare if they feel well enough.
(..)

:hmmrona:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I wouldn't say it's needed, in the sense that it will have no impact on decision-making.

Right; I am questioning the sanity of the people believing it will, because it demonstrates that the sky is blue.

"Blue you say?! Well that changes my entire 'don't believe your lying eyes, the sky is actually bright pink'-platform!"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

this is why all the pieces claiming that millennials will be such a long-lived generation compared to the people that came before are bullshit, we've got so much harmful consumption pushed at us and normalized in the name of the economy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Greatest Generation end up the ones with peak life expectancy, they grew up and lived in a time when healthcare was affordable and people were still physically active.

I've never read an article claiming that. Millennial life expectancy was trending downwards even before covid, thanks to poor healthcare, high stress, obesity, and drug toxicity.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Chamale posted:

I've never read an article claiming that. Millennial life expectancy was trending downwards even before covid, thanks to poor healthcare, high stress, obesity, and drug toxicity.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/40-millennials-gen-z-expect-130026150.html

A lot of poo poo like that has been showing up lately in my feed under the guise of financial planning

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Interesting piece, with some notable caveats. There is nothing new here, if you read the Cao results posted earlier.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/03/health/covid-new-variant-pirola-early-lab-results/index.html posted:

Early lab tests suggest new Covid-19 variant BA.2.86 may be less contagious and less immune-evasive than feared

Scientists around the world are fast-tracking lab experiments to try to understand the highly mutated BA.2.86 variant of the virus that causes Covid-19. Results just beginning to emerge are offering some reassurance, experts say.

Two groups — one in China and one in Sweden — have publicly reported results, and more are expected as early as Monday from the United States. So far, early results paint BA.2.86 as more of a paper tiger rather than the looming beast it first appeared to be, although that impression could change as more results come in.
(..)
Not the ‘second coming of Omicron’
(..)
But so far only about three dozen sequences, from as many infected patients, have shown up in a global repository over the last month. Even with a lot less genetic surveillance than we once had, experts think if BA.2.86 were coming on strong, it would be apparent.

“My friends, this is not the second coming of Omicron. If it were, it is safe to say we would know by now,” Dr. Bill Hanage, an epidemiologist who is co-director of Harvard University’s Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, said in a social media post.

Now, scientists are in the midst of lab experiments — either using copies of the actual virus isolated from patients, or with models of its spike proteins grafted onto the body of a different virus — that are meant to help us better understand how well our immune systems and vaccines will recognize and defend against viruses in the BA.2.86 family.

Early studies offer reassurance
In the first series of experiments, using the blood of vaccinated mice and from vaccinated and recently infected people, researchers in China determined that BA.2.86 does look really different to our immune systems compared with previous versions of the virus that causes Covid-19, and it is able to escape some of our immunity.

Researcher Yunlong Cao from the Biomedical Innovation Center at Peking University said he saw a twofold drop in the ability of our immunity from vaccination and recent infection to neutralize the BA.2.86 virus compared with viruses from the XBB.1.5 family.

A twofold drop isn’t wonderful, but it’s also not huge. By comparison, an eightfold drop in the ability of vaccine-created immunity to neutralize a new influenza virus is the benchmark scientists use to update the flu shot.

At the same time, the BA.2.86 virus was about 60% less infectious than XBB.1.5 viruses, something that experts think could explain why it has been found in so many different countries, but only at low levels.

“I would say it will slowly circulate in the population. It will not be able to compete with other fast prevailing variants,” Cao noted in an email to CNN, referring to variants like EG.5 and FL.1.5.1, which are the variants that are currently dominating transmission in the United States.

In a second set of experiments, researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden pitted BA.2.86 against antibodies in the blood of human donors that were collected at two different points in time, from late 2022, before the XBB variant emerged, and from late August.

The antibodies in the older samples couldn’t effectively shut down BA.2.86, but the blood samples taken from donors just a week ago did a better job.

“Overall, it doesn’t appear to be nearly as extreme a situation as the original emergence of Omicron,” wrote principal researcher Benjamin Murrell in a post on social media.

“It isn’t yet clear whether BA.2.86 (or its offspring) will outcompete the currently-circulating variants, and I don’t think there is yet any data about its severity, but our antibodies do not appear to be completely powerless against it,” he wrote.

More to learn
Both of these studies have limitations. Researchers were testing pseudoviruses, which are essentially models of what the BA.2.86 virus looks like, and not the virus itself. The study from Sweden used only a small number of samples from blood donors. And because these studies used blood donors in China and Sweden, they may not reflect the immunity of people in the U.S., who may have been infected with a different mix of variants and immunized with different vaccines.

Still, experts said they were encouraged by these early results and eager to see more in the coming days.

“The news is better than I was expecting,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, former White House Covid-19 response coordinator in part in a post on social media. “And makes me more encouraged that the new upcoming vaccine will have a real benefit against current dominant variant (EG.5) as well as BA.2.86.”
(..)
They, like the rest of the world, are waiting for BA.2.86 to show its hand.

I do feel they are underplaying the Cao results on immune evasion and overplay the results on infectivity:

Namely that is a notable drop from a relatively low level and we are talking cell binding, which isn't the same as layman's infectivity.

Finally I have mentioned some concern about the tracking before and I think it is worth noting the distinction between earlier PCR-based genetic sequencing and wastewater based genetic sequencing, as they tend to be conflated.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Idk if I’m supposed to be insulted that Bebtelovimab is a negative control in that figure

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

speng31b posted:

He's insane but it's pretty funny that he got so much of Twitter talking about ebola at burning man

He's Martin Random.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

Idk if I’m supposed to be insulted that Bebtelovimab is a negative control in that figure

lol, lmao

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's Martin Random.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Pingui posted:

:britain:

Sounds good, but...

:hmmrona:

quote:

Children with mild symptoms, however, can still be sent to school or childcare if they feel well enough.
:rubby:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just a timely reminder that they're also not vaccinating kids in the UK.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bastard Tetris posted:

haha that's great

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lmao. No.

https://ai2.news/chatgpt-can-help-debunk-myths-on-vaccine-safety-on-social-media-study/ posted:

ChatGPT Can Help Debunk Myths on Vaccine Safety on Social Media: Study
(..)
The researchers concluded that ChatGPT is a reliable source of non-technical information for the general public, particularly for individuals without specialized scientific knowledge. This AI tool can detect misleading questions related to vaccines and vaccination. Its language is easily understandable to the public while maintaining scientific rigor.

Despite its promising accuracy, concerns about technology were highlighted in the study. ChatGPT was found to change its answers in certain situations, raising questions about the consistency of its responses.
(..)

You don't actually need to do a study to inform the world you don't understand how LLM's work.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Frosted Flake posted:

The Baltic battlegroup is having manning issues because of the number of troops reporting to sick parade every morning and then going on sick leave. The cause of this illness is, not a joke, "unclear".

lol if they accuse the Russians of biological warfare or something over this.

Lmao that we might end up blundering into what amounts to a broken back war situation if poo poo goes hot with china with rampant long covid on both sides of the line. I'll be lmaoing until one or the other side fucks up bad enough that they panic and press the button.

:lol:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Magic 8 Ball Can Help Debunk Myths on Vaccine Safety on Social Media: Study

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

lmao. No.

You don't actually need to do a study to inform the world you don't understand how LLM's work.

I've been with a bunch of academics all weekend who would suggest using chatgpt for substantive things but each one also had a story about chatgpt making source articles out of whole cloth. it's insidious! it's useful for making like 5e stat blocks for George Washington. stop trying to do real things with it!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

I've been with a bunch of academics all weekend who would suggest using chatgpt for substantive things but each one also had a story about chatgpt making source articles out of whole cloth. it's insidious! it's useful for making like 5e stat blocks for George Washington. stop trying to do real things with it!

Covid and AI garbage, my two least favorite things on the planet have met.

:negative:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
help the ai won’t stop telling me to wash my hands

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nexous posted:

help the ai won’t stop telling me to wash my hands

it means, if you continuously wash your hands, and never stop, you reduce your capacity to spread airborne illnesses

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
2020: We engineered this antibody’s structure to make immune evasion more difficult

2023: We are including this clown antibody in the figure as a joke

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dad's doctor prescribed Paxlovid immediately. :black101:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

speng31b posted:

He's insane but it's pretty funny that he got so much of Twitter talking about ebola at burning man

no he didn't that was Brace

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Wife just popped on a rapid for the third time in a year. Last time was mid-March. She's done paxlovid both other times.

I swear I read somewhere you shouldn't do paxlovid within six months of last taking it, but I don't see anything about that when I google it.

Should we just go ahead and get her another script for it?

Edit: obligatory :rip: me

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Zisky posted:

Wife just popped on a rapid for the third time in a year. Last time was mid-March. She's done paxlovid both other times.

I swear I read somewhere you shouldn't do paxlovid within six months of last taking it, but I don't see anything about that when I google it.

fauci took it twice in a row

this is not medical advice

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bastard Tetris posted:

2020: We engineered this antibody’s structure to make immune evasion more difficult

At least they are still talking about it :unsmith:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Zisky posted:

there is something somewhere, idk where, about not taking paxlovid twice within 180 days but i personally believe it to be bullshit so good luck pax stax maxing

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Zisky posted:

Went to another rave unmasked, eh? Whomst among us

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Bastard Tetris posted:

At this point the best thing your monoclonals beyond this point are gonna do is rescue the forums when Jeff finally duffs it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zisky posted:

I suspect you got that from stuff like the mentioned cutoff in this post:

eXXon posted:

I checked out Ontario's guidance for Paxlovid out of curiosity:

pre:
Paxlovid should be strongly considered for individuals who have a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis
(based on positive PCR, rapid molecular, or rapid antigen test result),
present within 5 days of symptom onset, and meet one or more of the following criteria:

• 60 years of age or older;
• 18 years of age or older and immunocompromised;
• 18–59 years of age and is at higher risk of severe COVID-19. Patients at higher risk of severe COVID-19 include:
   • Those who have one or more comorbidity that puts them at higher risk of severe COVID-19 disease OR
   • Those with inadequate immunity, i.e.:
     • Unvaccinated or incomplete primary series OR
     • Completed primary series AND last COVID-19 vaccine dose was more than 6 months ago
       AND last SARS-CoV-2 infection was more than 6 months ago
So having your last booster more than 6 months ago gives you inadequate immunity, huh? Wouldn't that mean it's bad that uptake of the bivalent booster is around 25% for those who bothered to complete the primary series (which is over 90% for ages 40+ but drops precipitously to 37% for ages 5-11)? And probably most of those got their bivalent shots more than 6 months ago.

However, you will note that the 6 month limit is because they consider an infection nature's booster, thus providing adequate protection to not get a severe infection.

This is my reply to someone asking about taking Paxlovid twice within 10 months:

However, you should talk to a doctor if you have concerns.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

Like discussing the potential for the meat industry of a conjuror pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's Martin Random.
how is this known? i mean... sure makes sense, he's legitimately insane

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

how is this known? i mean... sure makes sense, he's legitimately insane

Tried to track down the claim, apparently he said it himself here:
https://nitter.net/FalconryFinance/status/1616296362987098112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
what the gently caress, you read all that?