Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man dead rising would be a great game to have on switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
i liked the weird bastardized dead rising port for the wii where its not timed & they shoved it into the resident evil 4 engine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dead Rising and 2 getting good ports to PC would be cool. If there's any franchise Capcom could salvage it's that one, they just need to make better decisions next time

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dead Rising 2 already has a pretty good PC port, I ran through it a few times and never had any technical issues.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

VERY COOL MAN posted:

i liked the weird bastardized dead rising port for the wii where its not timed & they shoved it into the resident evil 4 engine

I remember cope about how it's actually the best version from the old console war days lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Dead Rising rules so hard. Shame about the sequels after 2 lol

3 wasn't awful! Being open world kind of hosed up the formula, personally, but Nick was cute and a nice protag and it had psychopaths, so I was happy.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to reboot without the psychopaths was a moron.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm playing Stasis after the last Mandalorgaming video and man does the puzzles suck. One of my biggest problems is that there's not enough context info to make sense of the puzzles. Just in general. No item descriptions. No reaction when you fail. Especially in sci fi where I'm not quite sure what anything does or what the rules are.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

3 wasn't awful! Being open world kind of hosed up the formula, personally, but Nick was cute and a nice protag and it had psychopaths, so I was happy.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to reboot without the psychopaths was a moron.

Imo it was an effect of publishers looking at the internet response of people doing wacky stuff and assuming that means wacky stuff is what everyone wanted, without realizing that it was the frosting on a good cake. Instead the later games were all frosting.

It's kind of what happened to Saints Row, where the second and third game were hits because they were wacky, but eventually they crossed a line and it just became dull.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just going off of the first hour, I've made a good choice - I'll take charmingly janky structural experiment over incredibly renowned classic any day of the week. The opening is an all timer in terms of scripted game opening sequences, from the helicopter ride to getting into the mall and immediately seeing "THIS WOMAN DIED! THIS GUY DIED! THESE PEOPLE ARE DEAD!" pop up on screen during the first bit of combat really sets the tone. Just out of curiosity, do the sequels abandon the photography element? It's probably the most ahead-of-its-time element of the game with almost every game now having a photo mode

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mutantIke posted:

Putting my fate in your hands here, chat. Now that I've beaten all the Remedy games not called Quantum Break, should I start Dead Rising or RE4?

Twist: Quantum Break

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mutantIke posted:

Just going off of the first hour, I've made a good choice - I'll take charmingly janky structural experiment over incredibly renowned classic any day of the week. The opening is an all timer in terms of scripted game opening sequences, from the helicopter ride to getting into the mall and immediately seeing "THIS WOMAN DIED! THIS GUY DIED! THESE PEOPLE ARE DEAD!" pop up on screen during the first bit of combat really sets the tone. Just out of curiosity, do the sequels abandon the photography element? It's probably the most ahead-of-its-time element of the game with almost every game now having a photo mode

IIRC 2 does away with it, then it comes back in Off the Record and every other sequel after. They never really expand on it beyond the first game though.

Dead Rising 1 is still one of my favorite games of all time though. I’m one of those psychos with the 7 Day Survivor challenge trophy

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Twist: Quantum Break

Considering the lead actor is gonna be in Alan Wake 2 as a guy named Time Breaker, I might have to somewhere down the line :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

3's biggest sin is it only had one cheesy lyrical boss theme. That was the heart and soul of DR1 and 2 imo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mutantIke posted:

Considering the lead actor is gonna be in Alan Wake 2 as a guy named Time Breaker, I might have to somewhere down the line :shrug:

It's worth a shot, not actually a "right this minute" recommendation but I like it quite a bit. It's a big move on the way from the simpler Max Payne/Alan Wake gunplay to the superpowered Control style, with some great setpieces. It does kinda push Remedy's love of live action production to the breaking point, but you can skip a lot of that to focus on the gameplay.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Quantum Break was good mindless popcorn fun, and then the ending completely lost me. Typical Remedy-style absurd attention to detail though. Near the end of the game, when you visit Littlefinger's office (forgot the character's name lol), you can see he has 15 whiteboards lined up end-to-end with his plan for how to make money and what to invest in and what political figures to cozy up to through the 17 years he's been sent into the past, and there's notes and arrows and stuff across all of them. i don't even know how long it took me to read all of it

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 4, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
To revise my previous statement based on the above discussion: you will be more likely to enjoy SOMA if you are a dumbass or have brain damage. Helps with verisimilitude.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it was an effect of publishers looking at the internet response of people doing wacky stuff and assuming that means wacky stuff is what everyone wanted, without realizing that it was the frosting on a good cake. Instead the later games were all frosting.

It's kind of what happened to Saints Row, where the second and third game were hits because they were wacky, but eventually they crossed a line and it just became dull.

Dead Rising is one of those games where I consider it a masterpiece for a lot of the things that people specifically dislike about it and I'm wondering if in the later sequels the devs might have taken those criticisms too closely to heart. Like the whole reason all the open world loving about stuff is interesting is because it's not "free"; the timer means you actually have to think about how you're getting through the world and find space for doing the various side activities. But it's not so restrictive that you have to constantly worry about the main plot - there are some pretty huge gaps where the game just goes "next plot thing won't happen for 12 hours, go find something to do". It's one of my favorite open world games specifically because of how all of this comes together to make you engage with the open world directly, as opposed to what a lot of open world games do where you just kind of clear a big checklist of stuff to do in an area and then never visit that area again.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any game that has a timer in it fills me with unspeakable dread

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Thundercracker posted:

I'm playing Stasis after the last Mandalorgaming video and man does the puzzles suck. One of my biggest problems is that there's not enough context info to make sense of the puzzles. Just in general. No item descriptions. No reaction when you fail. Especially in sci fi where I'm not quite sure what anything does or what the rules are.

Yeah, I was satisfied watching him play it rather than trying it myself. Seems like a lot more moon logic than he wanted to admit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dead Rising's gameplay completely falls apart without the timer.

Like it's cool if people aren't into that but they could just not play those games, because without the time pressure it just turns into lame zombie dynasty warriors

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some of my favorite Warriors games are the ones where they have time-sensitive missions that you really have to haul rear end to meet the requirements before triggers on the other side of the map run out.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I appreciate Dead Rising from a distance but the timer completely kills my desire to play it myself, and I’ve tried. It runs too counter to my desire to explore and do all the side stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing is there's still plenty of time to explore in that game because there's really not much to explore.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Blockhouse posted:

Dead Rising's gameplay completely falls apart without the timer.

Like it's cool if people aren't into that but they could just not play those games, because without the time pressure it just turns into lame zombie dynasty warriors

Nothing like holing up with a bunch of orange juice and chocolate milk for a week.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

I appreciate Dead Rising from a distance but the timer completely kills my desire to play it myself, and I’ve tried. It runs too counter to my desire to explore and do all the side stuff.

I think the key to appreciating it is to treat it more like a Roguelike where you expect to do multiple runs. It's not as harsh as a Roguelike, because you can save progress and beating the game on your first go through is perfectly viable (despite all the people who claim otherwise, you absolutely do not have to grind out a bunch of levels first and then restart. The game is very beatable starting from level 1), but you absolutely aren't going to be able to do everything on your first go around because the timing for a golden "save everyone" run is significantly harsher than just finishing the game and requires a good deal of experience to be able to route it all out. But at the same time, you also don't ever actually have to do said golden run either if you want to see everything - you can also just treat it like a branching RPG and take different "paths" in order to see all the side content over multiple runs without too much time pressure. Hell you can blow of the main storyline entirely if you want - you can still do side content even after having failed the story missions and that can actually be a good way to learn where everything is.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well he ain't my boy but the brother is heavy

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Replayed Dead Rising about a year ago and its still a certified banger. I don't hate 3 though and its probably the closest we'll get to the cancelled Dead Rush.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

man nurse posted:

Dead Rising 2 has a perfect time trainer on PC, so you can faff about but not gently caress up triggers either. I don't remember if 3 or the PC port of 1 had good ones or not unfortunately

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The timer in Dead Rising is actually pretty generous if you aren't trying to save everyone. It's super tight for completionists, but otherwise there's huge gaps of time where you can do whatever you want. But you do have to do *some* XP-generating stuff or you won't get critical stuff like the dodge roll.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yeah, the timer is really only scary if you're trying to do specific poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The timer in Dead Rising 1 and 2 are only tight if you're trying to save all of the survivors and do the main story in one run yeah. If you're only doing one or the other, you actually have a lot of dead time where you can just gently caress around. Dead Rising 3 technically had a timer, but it was so generous (7 days if I remember right, compared to the first two games 3 days) that you'd long do everything you needed to before it'd run out. Very possible to do a completionist run and still have 3 days left over.

I actually don't think Dead Rising 3 is that bad honestly and think it gets a bad rep. It's certainly the weakest of the trilogy but it's still a fun time and it concludes the story set up in 1 nicely. No need for any sequels. It would be a shame if a Dead Rising 4 came out and ruined everything. Yep.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dead Rising 3 is a mess but its still got some heart. Dead Rising 1 and 2 are fantastic games and great examples of black zombie comedy. As someone who regularly needs expensive medication for arthritis, zombrex feels pretty on point about American health care.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It was annoying while playing when the timers wouldn't line up but the zombrex addition for DR2 really added something to it. Doing a sidequest and having the rescued survivor offer you a zombrex was a huge relief that you might not have expected, since some of the cases aren't tagged like that in your journal. You always have the option to buy it for absurd amounts of money but it's inclusion gave some juice to the spots in between big story bites.

The only issue I have with it is that the timing was so tight for giving your daughter doses, so there was many times when I'd be just chugging juice in the break room for no reason to burn an hour of game time, since I didn't have time to go out and actually do anything.

Separately it was also the game where crafting was the best. Later ones simplified it into classes of items to get around the "what do you mean this isn't the right brand of scissors for this weapon" issue that you sometimes got in DR2, but it also generally made crafting too easy and you lost out on the "hell yeah I found an X this is going to rock" moments.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 5, 2023

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wasn't dead rising 3 was and still is basically an Xbox exclusive? It took like a year after it released to come to pc.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Busters posted:

Yeah, I was satisfied watching him play it rather than trying it myself. Seems like a lot more moon logic than he wanted to admit.

Ugh. The final puzzle is of course one that made me go "Wait, is that how this sci fi gadget works?" Just completely breaking it's own story rules.

One of the items you carry most of the game is your ID tag that you had to brutally remove from your own body. The ID tag triggers ship security but I guess not outside your body and in your inventory? Except the last puzzle has you tossing like a grenade to trick gun turrets so I don't even know

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't dead rising 3 was and still is basically an Xbox exclusive? It took like a year after it released to come to pc.

It's the only Xbox game I've actually bought since the 360 lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The greatest horror in the Dead Rising games is playing DR2: Off the Record when introduced to the previous DR2 protag as a psychopath protecting a doll not realising his daughter is already dead

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The greatest horror in the Dead Rising games is playing DR2: Off the Record when introduced to the previous DR2 protag as a psychopath protecting a doll not realising his daughter is already dead

Much less cathartic than killing Leon (the green racer dude who laughs about Chuck's dead wife) :smith:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Sakurazuka posted:

It's the only Xbox game I've actually bought since the 360 lol

I will say, DR has a very Xbox 360 feel to it. IDK what specifically, but it just sort of psychosomatically makes me feel like I'm using a terrible D-pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can't play Off the Record. I hated the jumpscare zombies and I didnt want to spend my playtime checking around every blind corner