Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Alucard posted:

The lesson is never buy a Costco hotdog, it'll always be cheaper tomorrow!

buy futures in costco hotdogs on the blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jenny from Scarboro, she works at Costco.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jingleheimer posted:

As far as I know, there's no way to tell when or if a certain item will go on sale. Costco does plan their sales on most things months if not a year+ in advance, but no one outside their corporate offices would have access to that information. I don't think things like patio sets go on sale very often. If anything, the longer you wait, the price is more likely to go up due to inflation, and the couple hundred bucks you might "save" on a sale would just bump it down to what the price currently is.

Yeah I think you're right. Since making that post I've also looked up the manufacturer and they state they don't have sales or offer coupons as a rule. So I guess I'll probably just pull the trigger on it sometime this week.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

ShowTime posted:

If you have a chance to try the Sky Valley Sriracha sauce (https://www.costco.com/sky-valley%2c-green-sriracha-sauce%2c-hot%2c-17.25-fl-oz%2c-2-count.product.4000100871.html), I highly recommend. That's the double green Sriracha pack, but I found the combination red and green at my local and use them for different things. I'm like 1/4 through each of the bottles already and I haven't had them terribly long. Good flavor on both and just the right amount of heat.

It's not the same thing as the Sriracha you are used too, but it's pretty good stuff. I use them on everything.

They're good, but the green is just straight up not spicy at all. Also I looked up the company and the manufacturer (Litehouse) was founded when a line cook prayed to Jesus for inspiration and invented creamy blue cheese dressing in Idaho. P wild stuff

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the lord spoke to me and his message was Cheese

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Since Huy Fong is still struggling to get enough chilis to make their Sririracha, does anyone have a recommendation for something comparable, or at least similar enough? In my experience other brand srirachas are really hit or miss, in some cases ending up more like watery spicy ketchup than actual sriracha.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Picked up a 2-Pack of Tabascos version at Costco a few weeks ago. I like it better than the Huy Fong stuff honestly. Bit smokier but very similar taste IMO.

Plus it has no preservatives that the Huy Fong version contains.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chinatown posted:

Picked up a 2-Pack of Tabascos version at Costco a few weeks ago. I like it better than the Huy Fong stuff honestly. Bit smokier but very similar taste IMO.

Plus it has no preservatives that the Huy Fong version contains.

Thanks - I drat near picked some of that up last night, but my partner has a deep-seated bias against Tabasco. Maybe I'll grab one for my own use.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since Huy Fong is still struggling to get enough chilis to make their Sririracha, does anyone have a recommendation for something comparable, or at least similar enough? In my experience other brand srirachas are really hit or miss, in some cases ending up more like watery spicy ketchup than actual sriracha.

I like Ox better than Sky Valley. Not as sweet. Not available at Costco though. Tapatio is my go-to non-sriracha hot sauce.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had no idea there was a shortage and found it odd that I couldn't find any a couple of times I went to the store. I just learned about the shortage when my nephew told me like a week ago that sriracha was selling for like $90 a bottle on ebay or something.

I got a Texas Pete brand a few months ago. I am not a fan.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sriracha is way over hyped. It's fine. It's been fine for over 20 years. Always kinda of overpowered the taste of anything you put it on though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Sriracha is way over hyped. It's fine. It's been fine for over 20 years. Always kinda of overpowered the taste of anything you put it on though.

The Huy Fong didn't, which is why I'm seeking a decent substitute.

One of my favorite easy low-class dinners is Heinz beans, sliced up hotdogs, and a liberal amount of sriracha. :discourse:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Is that the default roster sauce? I can't say I ever paid attention to the brand since it wasn't in English at my local "Asian" market. I thought the rooster was the brand.

It seemed to be the same one they had at the local Viet pho shops but I never paid much attention.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wendigee posted:

Is that the default roster sauce? I can't say I ever paid attention to the brand since it wasn't in English at my local "Asian" market. I thought the rooster was the brand.

It seemed to be the same one they had at the local Viet pho shops but I never paid much attention.

Yeah. It's also in every major grocery store.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I was going to recommend Sriraja Panich, that's the last one I bought and I like it. It's smoother and thinner than Huy Fong and not as spicy. But I came across a Serious Eats taste test comparison and they rank it second worst, so maybe check out their tasting notes for what you're looking for - https://www.seriouseats.com/taste-test-the-best-sriracha. I don't find it that garlicky but maybe I have a poor palate.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Thanks - I drat near picked some of that up last night, but my partner has a deep-seated bias against Tabasco. Maybe I'll grab one for my own use.

I also find normal Tabasco to be vile, but the Jack-barrel sweetness is just in that one. The Chipotle is genuinely the best chipotle version of a mass-market sauce I've had.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why is the Choice beef at Costco better than the Prime beef at any other grocery store?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I ain't driving all the way to Scarborough just to shop at a Costco...

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Jingleheimer posted:

As far as I know, there's no way to tell when or if a certain item will go on sale.

We need a hotdoghotdoghotdog.com

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Through a cruel twist of fate I ended up on edibles in Costco the day before labor day and it was way more Costco than I'd ever experienced before or want to experience again. Sadly all the samples were bad (Spam??) but I did score a bunch of other delicious stuff, like 2 more tubs of Adams peanut butter for my crippling addiction. They were out of the Korean BBQ though, rude.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

I only use it on asian stirfry/noodle dishes. otherwise i just dont think the sweet taste fits alot with most other foods.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I bought a new TV because they also gave me an extra 3 year warranty for free. It’s like I’m making money.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I bought like 5 big bottles when it was $20 a bottle, no joke. Nothing else comes close

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

pencilhands posted:

I bought like 5 big bottles when it was $20 a bottle, no joke. Nothing else comes close

lmao

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

the green sriracha ones (we like wegmans one tbh) that have tomatillos and cilantro in em are yummy as hell

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trader Joe's Siracha.

Little more spicy not as sweet.

It's great.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

confession time:

I've been to Costco hundreds of times and never ordered a hotdog

am more of a pizza guy

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

smoobles posted:

confession time:

I've been to Costco hundreds of times and never ordered a hotdog

am more of a pizza guy

same

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

TVGM posted:

:nomnom:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've had no trouble getting Huy Fong in actual Asian supermarkets. I think they always save a special reserve for their own people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

I've had no trouble getting Huy Fong in actual Asian supermarkets. I think they always save a special reserve for their own people.

this post sucks poo poo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Trader Joe's Siracha.

Little more spicy not as sweet.

It's great.

Have they changed the recipe? Because when I tried it before it sucked.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Chinatown posted:

this post sucks poo poo

Agreed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
For the record, I have a half dozen Asian supermarkets within my reach and they have all been out of Huy Fong for close to a year now.

The last bottle I saw was collecting dust in a corner of a Vietnamese bakery (they got slammin Banh Mis) maybe 6 months ago. I bought it of course.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I read up on it a while back, and it is just a serious and ongoing shortage of the chilis they use. I could dig up an article on it if I could muster the :effort:

Definitely barely above :effort: level: https://www.deseret.com/2023/8/25/23844295/sriracha-shortage-huy-fong

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 5, 2023

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Cholula is a nice hot sauce in a similar vein to Tabasco, just not the sriracha variety. If you have access to Indian grocery stores, I've found a really good green chilli sauce that has plenty of heat to it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

god drat you loving suck you gross rear end slumlord, gently caress off

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TVGM posted:

hotdognoprofits.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im not super huge on sri but enjoy it when it's available at kbbq restaurants but i got friends looking

has anyone found the stuff anywhere within the last month?

they are stuck at burning man and would be a nice W to come home to