Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I feel like with the Penelope and Xi their original novel designs(and the relatively close interpretations of them in various SD Gundam games and Super Robot Wars V) work a lot better than the redesigns of them for the new movies(for one thing the color schemes for both are a lot better, as are the proportions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hey dorks all gabdams is good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DamnGlitch posted:

Hey dorks all gabdams is good

What about the Gundams that are explicitly evil?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gripweed posted:

They might not be good but they are Mondo Cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zedd posted:

They might not be good but they are Mondo Cool.

🙏👍👍

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I feel like with the Penelope and Xi their original novel designs(and the relatively close interpretations of them in various SD Gundam games and Super Robot Wars V) work a lot better than the redesigns of them for the new movies(for one thing the color schemes for both are a lot better, as are the proportions)

Definitely agree, I do prefer the game adaptation treatments over the movie ones, though from what I've seen the movie penelope doesn't seem as changed as the xi and its weird chest/hand situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpAA6iyq5I

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Evil is the absence of good, it does not exist in and of itself. Because Man is made in the image of God, and Gundams in the image of man, we can see by transitive property all Gundams must be good and in fact incapable of evil.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Good point, however I must contend that "devil gundam" is in fact very evil

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Evil is the absence of good, it does not exist in and of itself. Because Man is made in the image of God, and Gundams in the image of man, we can see by transitive property all Gundams must be good and in fact incapable of evil.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

i would point to the augustinian conception of evil as misdirected love. devil gundam was an attempt to make the perfect gundam, but in so doing strayed from what makes gundams so good, that they are images of humans. however devil gundam serves as a foil to all other gundams and increases their beauty

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

Excuse me, its proper name is "Ultimate Gundam".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Ok Setsuna.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

That goes for most SEED designs, the (modern/MG) model kit versions of them look pretty cool.

The MG Providence has its proportions and colour scheme significantly altered, making it look much more imposing and less awkward.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The original art for basically every SEED design looks like dogshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pointy is also good

Not nearly enough points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xi gundam get outta there

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've been rewatching Gundam Seed, and I really think they messed up by establishing what Lacus looked like before she appeared. Because her first appearance is great, they bring in this military life pod they think has a ZAFT pilot in it, but then a pink-haired girl in a huge dress floats out doing her best Lalah impression and everybody is too stunned to act. But the audience knows that's Lacus.

They should've mentioned Lacus a few times, Athrun's fiance, the Prime Minister's daughter, heading this memorial commission, etc. to set up that there is an important character named Lacus, but then have her burst out of the pod with no clue who she was, and then next episode be like "That's Lacus?!"

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Synthbuttrange posted:

Xi gundam get outta there

Moriki Yasuhiro had a theme and he was going to stick to it, dammit. Xardion on the SNES was a Gainax co-production and he was still trying to get that look just right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/_HeirToTheStars/status/1699074620744462776?t=e7qk6WGrUDy6aS4N3e2tEg&s=19

Apparently Kudelia's office is also based on Don Draper's office from Mad Men. But I like the implication that Frank Lloyd Wright houses survived the Calamity War.

Just like Edmonton. And Scotia Bank Bank.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I've been rewatching Gundam Seed, and I really think they messed up by establishing what Lacus looked like before she appeared. Because her first appearance is great, they bring in this military life pod they think has a ZAFT pilot in it, but then a pink-haired girl in a huge dress floats out doing her best Lalah impression and everybody is too stunned to act. But the audience knows that's Lacus.

They should've mentioned Lacus a few times, Athrun's fiance, the Prime Minister's daughter, heading this memorial commission, etc. to set up that there is an important character named Lacus, but then have her burst out of the pod with no clue who she was, and then next episode be like "That's Lacus?!"

There was something absurdly funny to me about her delivering this big serious speech midway in the series with her hair up in giant anime twintails.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was something absurdly funny to me about her delivering this big serious speech midway in the series with her hair up in giant anime twintails.

Yeah they really should have leaned into that and made her whole deal feel slightly out of place intentionally

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/_HeirToTheStars/status/1699074620744462776?t=e7qk6WGrUDy6aS4N3e2tEg&s=19

Apparently Kudelia's office is also based on Don Draper's office from Mad Men. But I like the implication that Frank Lloyd Wright houses survived the Calamity War.

Hey, why not? Racine WI doesn't seem like an epicenter of Mobile Suit warfare.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

Hey, why not? Racine WI doesn't seem like an epicenter of Mobile Suit warfare.

Neither does Edmonton, until it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Edmonton was inevitable, let's be honest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Arc Hammer posted:

This fits weirdly well, honestly. Especially for Fareed; he's all about basically cargo culting stuff from the past that he knows is important but in no way understands why, so copying pre-war Earth architecture that he thinks is important seems like exactly something he'd do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...did mcgillis just inherit the mansion or did he choose to buy it and live in it himself?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like to think he's living in the actual house rather than just making a copy of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Even in the HD remaster of Seed they didn't make Lacus's collar the same size in every shot

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

...did mcgillis just inherit the mansion or did he choose to buy it and live in it himself?

Even that far in the future moving an entire house to Vingolf seems like it'd be a stretch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDeKBwQPXY

Hmm, I don't remember Casabranca being so weighed down by gravity.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Randomly reading 00 lore and TIL that the greatest pilot in the AD timeline, Fon Spaak, apparently didn't want to have Setsuna upstage him with his ELS 00 Quanta, and decided to capture an ELS so he could get his very own ELS-Astraea

I don't know how accurate this is, but uh, do people actually unironically like Fon Spaak or is he just a gigantic meme

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the latter. that guy's the absolute fuckin' worst.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They blew up Fon Spaak's head and he shitposted through it, he's great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure he's one of those dudes whose more interesting to read about his dumb poo poo second hand then actually engage with the works he appears in.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Arc Hammer posted:

Freakin cheeseheads!!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MechaX posted:

Randomly reading 00 lore and TIL that the greatest pilot in the AD timeline, Fon Spaak, apparently didn't want to have Setsuna upstage him with his ELS 00 Quanta, and decided to capture an ELS so he could get his very own ELS-Astraea

I don't know how accurate this is, but uh, do people actually unironically like Fon Spaak or is he just a gigantic meme

I just skimmed over this guy's wiki entry and it said something about him just being able to forcibly pilot every gundam even every version of the 00 :shepface:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

This. You play some of the story involving him in G Gen Cross Rays and he's intolerable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah he's so monumentally awful and lovely he kind of wraps around into being weirdly endearing in a "lol, gently caress that guy" way.

Like a less charismatic version of Char.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah he's so monumentally awful and lovely he kind of wraps around into being weirdly endearing in a "lol, gently caress that guy" way.

Like a less charismatic version of Char.

Full Frontal and Zoltan Akkanen are both more redeemable as both people and characters than Fon Spaak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Omnicrom posted:

I remember people were spitballing that the Xi/Penelope both being such gigantic slabs of iron was part of the reason they took so long to animate Hathaway. And while I'm sure that wasn't really it I also imagine someone, somewhere in Bandai/Sunrise was bringing that up at whatever planning meetings they do.

they did have a note from one of the people on it to the effect of "We would have loved to 2D animate the mecha in this but with the designs featured it's just not practical" so I think them needing CG animation that looked decent was at least one of the limitations they were dealing with.

drrockso20 posted:

the movie designs are less redesigned from the novel art than the fix figuration and SD G Gen arts are, particularly the huge hands and chest v-fin on the xi

The Golux fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 7, 2023