Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The real thing JJK has over CSM is ever getting more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
JJK is absolutely the more generic one yeah. To me it's just that the shared setup lets you contrast them quickly as JJK starts tipping its hand as being a series that really cares about establishing a robust power system and more battle focus, even setting up the rival school tournament-thing in those early volumes.

Given JJK's success and the fact that they were willing (or had to) to proceed with the S2 staff shakeup, it does make me a bit more optimistic about having some new blood do the same for CSM.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's funny to me how the first thing people do when they have secret magic powers is always set up an underground tournament to find out who is the strongest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

It's funny to me how the first thing people do when they have secret magic powers is always set up an underground tournament to find out who is the strongest.

thats what i would do in real life

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Clarste posted:

Look, mang, the dark tournament was awesome, gotta at least try to replicate it's greatness.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

thats what i would do in real life

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

Baki but everyone has secret magic powers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna be honest, I see JJK all the time, but I could not even begin to tell you what it's actually about.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It would be easier to name a big modern Shonen that doesn’t star a guy possessed by a demon who gets forcibly conscripted into a pseudo secret-society/government dept that ranks its members by power level and divides everyone in said organization into “teams”.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I see JJK all the time, but I could not even begin to tell you what it's actually about.

It's hunter x hunter meets naruto. That's extremely reductive, but it covers most of the bases for what to expect from it narratively and thematically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of jujutsu kaisen is the joke where the old guy obsessed with katanas finds a kimetsu no yaiba toy while trying to hunt down a legendary sword

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

i feel this way with undead unluck. every new chapter appears to be from a different manga

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

Yeah tournament arcs own.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's about seeing people punch each other in really cool and flashy ways, you seem to have absorbed the important part

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
tournament and exam arcs are the easiest to write.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Electric Phantasm posted:

Baki but everyone has secret magic powers

So Baki.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Oxxidation posted:

i feel this way with undead unluck. every new chapter appears to be from a different manga
This is the great thing about what Undead Unluck eventually became.

Unfortunately anime watchers are going to see a lot of "well it'll get really good if they make a season 4"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GateOfD posted:

tournament and exam arcs are the easiest to write.

I wrote up a categorization scheme for shonen battle manga arcs. Some of them overlap somewhat.

1. Attack and counterattack (bad guys beat up good guys, good guys somehow get time to train or otherwise prepare for a bit, good guys beat up bad guys).
2. Rescue (can be subdivided into the base-storming type and the kind where the heroes try to defeat the abductors before they reach their base).
3. Deicide (lots of heroes vs. one very powerful villain).
4. Villain of the week (i.e., individual fights as separate short arcs).
5. Reverse deicide (one very powerful hero vs. lots of villains; seen mainly in older manga).
6. War (an all-out clash between two large factions).
7. Tournament.
8. Exam.
9. High-stakes game (a conflict with structured rules that isn't a straightforward tournament, but isn't a "test" as such).
10. Three-sided conflict (inevitably ending with two of the groups teaming up against the third).

In general, the worst kinds of arcs are deicide arcs and war arcs. The problem with war arcs is mostly a matter of pacing and cast management. The problem with deicide arcs is that the author generally wants the main character to be largely responsible for defeating the villain rather than everyone just gradually wearing him down, so it tends to end up as the villain defeating everyone except the main character, followed by the main character getting a deus ex machina powerup.

Tournament and exam arcs tend to be the best. They allow for good guys fighting other good guys and for characters losing fights or otherwise failing at things without any assumed dire consequences, and they have clear structures that avoid the "wait, how many of these guys are still standing again, and what were they each doing lately?" problems of war arcs.

Attack-and-counterattack is basically the default arc structure (or at least used to be; it seems to be used less now), and thus there are plenty of both good and bad examples. Rescue arcs tend to have a strong sense of emotional motivation, but also tend towards contrivances to set up one-on-one fights.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

In general, the worst kinds of arcs are deicide arcs and war arcs
hxh combined these and it was the best shonen arc ever made

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Sindai posted:

This is the great thing about what Undead Unluck eventually became.

Unfortunately anime watchers are going to see a lot of "well it'll get really good if they make a season 4"

Maybe if they're listening to the wrong manga readers? I get that people dislike Andy's early characterization and are also incredibly high on the current manga stuff, but it's not like the series survived all these years on nothing. There's plenty of early material that is good on its own, and the anime lucked into the Fire Force S1 team.

Aside from that production connection I think the series has been pretty free from excessive hype, which hopefully just lets it be a great-looking adaptation of a solid series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

hxh combined these and it was the best shonen arc ever made

Heh. Well, Hunter x Hunter tends to break a lot of rules. Togashi wisely 1) didn't get Leorio, Kurapica, Hisoka, or the Hunter Exam examiners other than Netero involved in the Chimera Ant conflict and 2) didn't have Gon defeat or even fight Meruem.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I wish they'd make another season of Dorohedoro

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The other perk about tournaments is that it can alleviate the problem in long-running battle shonen where the weaker power-crept characters literally cannot engage in any way other than cheerleading (which is a real problem in #3), because at least in theory everyone has some amount of participation. That's why everyone likes the Dragonball tournaments and why it's such blueballs that Z teases, like, three of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mons Hubris posted:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Same. Or just make more OVA spinoffs about that little Gyoza Fairy. He was cute.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm so mad they never got to curse like how can you do a dorohedoro anime and not show curse

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the dorohedoro anime staff have been on AoT ever since, if that show ever ends they can make more but its not looking good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh

ok well if they can't make it because they're busy making another favorite anime of mine i guess i have no choice but to accept that decision

when it's over in 1-2 years i hope they decide to go back to dorohedoro (i see no compelling business reason for them to do so sadly)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Welcome to Ice Adolescence.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idk about JJK and CSM but i read a review of JJK0 on letterboxd that started a slapfight between several commenters about which of JJK or Demon Slayer was the mid one and which was good

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'd be happy just being able to even buy Dorohedoro.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

if you want to ignore that our protag very early on in an impossible situation in a supernatural world subsequently becomes host to a supernatural power that leads him into a binding quest to eliminate an ultimate evil to avoid being killed for now being host to an evil power, leading to him being teamed up to help defeat a variety of other supernatural beings all while he's technically immortal.

Also his team is a comparatively straight-laced black-haired summoner guy and a violent lady.

Tales of Woe posted:

the dorohedoro anime staff have been on AoT ever since, if that show ever ends they can make more but its not looking good

You mean if it ever stops ending?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

mycot posted:

The other perk about tournaments is that it can alleviate the problem in long-running battle shonen where the weaker power-crept characters literally cannot engage in any way other than cheerleading (which is a real problem in #3), because at least in theory everyone has some amount of participation. That's why everyone likes the Dragonball tournaments and why it's such blueballs that Z teases, like, three of them.

Yeah! True fans demand more Miwa!

The 7th Guest posted:

idk about JJK and CSM but i read a review of JJK0 on letterboxd that started a slapfight between several commenters about which of JJK or Demon Slayer was the mid one and which was good

One of them's mid? Por que no los dos?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Brutal Garcon posted:

Also his team is a comparatively straight-laced black-haired summoner guy and a violent lady.

I wonder how often this dynamic appears? Does it predate Naruto? JJK even has someone who looks a lot like Kakashi as their mentor.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mons Hubris posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

Well the final final episode is supposed to come out sometime next season, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mons Hubris posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1698880711506215238?t=it6t0xZZaNXkCs4CFXxK1Q&s=19

2024 season 2 nice. I enjoyed thr first one well enough.