Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Audibled into The Burrowers, and that is a bleak loving movie. Like, The Searchers was rough and meditative but this one is like, almost gleefully sadistic with its themes.

I love this one and I'm ashamed to say that I burst out laughing at the ending every time. It's just so dark and comes out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven’t gotten around to Evil yet but my understanding of it is it started as a network show so it’s more reserved but once they were getting cancelled/shifted to streaming they let it hang loose and found what a people love.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
1408 was a good time. I ended watching the directors cut I think. It seems pretty drat good though. Really great performance by Cusack.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s a couple of different endings depending on which version you watched but I can never keep them straight. I also think that stuff tends to be overblown. But I’m sure you can find them on YouTube if you want.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I haven’t gotten around to Evil yet but my understanding of it is it started as a network show so it’s more reserved but once they were getting cancelled/shifted to streaming they let it hang loose and found what a people love.

Yep, S1 was on CBS before S2 and S3 moved to streaming only. It's why S1 is good but the rest is great, the move away from broadcast standards give us stuff like Main Character Horny Sex Demon Kristen does not regret a literal murder, which is objectively really interesting TV. Even without the content itself, you can tell something is different the instant someone calls someone else a 'cocksucking motherfucker' in the S3 premier, lol

If you're on the fence about the show based on the first season, I would encourage you to jump ahead and watch S02E07 S is for Silence, which is objectively a really good hour of TV, almost entirely detached from the overarching plot of the season (so you don't need to worry much about context) and is full of character moments that sell you on the main cast.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 5, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe I'll just read a recap of season 1 of Evil. I just have to figure out where I left off.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Maybe I'll just read a recap of season 1 of Evil. I just have to figure out where I left off.

Watch the last two episodes of S1 (the second to the last has a loving GREAT Michael Emerson scene, and the finale has a huge plot moment that the whole second season hinges on), and then jump straight into S2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, so, Bride of Chucky is an extremely 1998 movie. I do not like late 90s/early 00s movies. Tonally it feels more like Gunn's Scooby-Doo movie than it does the previous entries. Just extremely goofy and far too ironic.

That being said, it's still very fun, and the core of what makes the franchise great is still there. As far as movies of this tone go, this is a very well made one.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 5, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, so, Bride of Chucky is an extremely 1998 movie. I do not like late 90s/early 00s movies. Tonally it feels more like Gunn's Scooby-Doo movie than the previous entries. Just extremely goofy and far too ironic.

That being said, it's still very fun, and the core of what makes the franchise great is still there. As far as movies of this tone go, this is a very well made one.
Whenever you're watching that very specific late-90s-feel movie (and I know exactly what you mean, though I can't quite put it in better words), just repeat to yourself "everyone in this movie doesn't know about 9/11. None of them know the twin towers are going to collapse in just a few years" and I find it makes the proceedings, if not better, at least mightily stranger.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jet Fuel can't melt Good Guy Dolls

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, so, Bride of Chucky is an extremely 1998 movie. I do not like late 90s/early 00s movies. Tonally it feels more like Gunn's Scooby-Doo movie than it does the previous entries. Just extremely goofy and far too ironic.

I'm with you, for me Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky are fun for what they are but I just prefer the overall aesthetics of the 80s and early 90s. I would've loved to have another Child's Play movie in between 1991 and 1998, seven years is a long time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish I could see Gunn's scooby doo, and not that crap nonsense from that hack rear end director

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Seed of Chucky has John Waters in it and therefore by its very nature cannot in fact be "bad".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seed of Chucky is so weird and funny.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Do you think Chucky shed a tear like dr doom when he heard about 9/11

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ruddiger posted:

Only that it might've been an opportunity missed to swap into a human body. Or kill a lot of people and survive the towers collapse cause he's just a doll. Both.

CHUCKY: GROUND ZERO

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hollismason posted:

Seed of Chucky has John Waters in it and therefore by its very nature cannot in fact be "bad".

You say this but he also appears in one of the extremely dire Alvin and the chipmunks live action movies, where it’s also made explicit that alvin has seen pink flamingos

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh goddamn it I was not suppose to watch horror movies this month. I watched like 6 horror movies this weekend. drat it. I could have used those in Oct!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I humbly and politely ask that people do not make fun of or light of or mock 9/11 because it is not a meme, it was a mass murder in which many died and who’s loved ones and survivors still grief to this day. Please have respect for those because it’s entirely possible you’ve been posting with someone who was personally affected in many ways by 9/11 and you didn’t know it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Oh goddamn it I was not suppose to watch horror movies this month. I watched like 6 horror movies this weekend. drat it. I could have used those in Oct!

Uh, no you should be watching horror movies between now and Thanksgiving, when you should watch Addams Family Values and/or Nightmare Before Christmas as a transition movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Yeah probably. But I think he was dead during that time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m a little drunk so very open but I’m strongly considering busting out my 30 page Evil Dead fan film called The World Vs The Evil Dead about a post apocalyptic deadite world and this dude has to survive it while being helped by Mia from the remake due to all Evil Dead universes converging during the events of the season 3 finale of the show. Pablo and Kelly have small voice cameos and there’s lots of deadites

If I do it it would be a halloweeen fan film thing like trick r treat so I’d have to act fast but idk. It’s a bit of a big idea

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watched Event Horizon for the first time in a few years. Goddamn, what great set design and overall dread conveyed by it. Just a big haunted sentient Gothic cathedral in outer space.

I hope that planned TV series eventually gets made. Fishburne said he’d love to come back and be a part of it if asked.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Crossposting from pyf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder about trash like The Crow tv series, or Poltergeist: The Legacy.

Poltergeist: The Legacy isn't too bad, really. It suffers mainly from standing in the shadow of one of the all time great horror movies. It's heavily inspired by the West End Games horror RPG Chill, centring on a secret society (the Legacy) founded by a Victorian philanthropist who developed a moral calling to fight supernatural evil. The Men of Letters in later seasons of Supernatural trod much the same ground.

P:TL is also an in-canon part of the Poltergeist franchise. Zelda Rubinstein made a couple of appearances on the show as Tangina Barrons, who was called by Dr Lesh to help the Freelings because they were both Legacy members.

Supernatural, on the other foot, is probably the best horror TV show ever and it's remarkable that it maintained a decent level of quality for 15 years - especially as I suspect the last two seasons were made mainly for the sake of Jared Padalecki, who had been suffering severely from depression and was using the work to keep him going. I've been rewatching from the start and the first couple of seasons are absolutely full on. Later seasons suffer from power creep and the afterlife's revolving door, and the tone became much lighter, but Eric Kripke was always ready to address that sort of thing and hang a lampshade on it. It's all on Amazon Prime, and if you never watch another episode of the show you owe it to yourself to watch the crossover with Scooby Doo in S11. It's completely standalone and utterly hilarious.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

Poltergeist: The Legacy isn't too bad, really. It suffers mainly from standing in the shadow of one of the all time great horror movies. It's heavily inspired by the West End Games horror RPG Chill, centring on a secret society (the Legacy) founded by a Victorian philanthropist who developed a moral calling to fight supernatural evil. The Men of Letters in later seasons of Supernatural trod much the same ground.

P:TL is also an in-canon part of the Poltergeist franchise. Zelda Rubinstein made a couple of appearances on the show as Tangina Barrons, who was called by Dr Lesh to help the Freelings because they were both Legacy members.

Supernatural, on the other foot, is probably the best horror TV show ever and it's remarkable that it maintained a decent level of quality for 15 years - especially as I suspect the last two seasons were made mainly for the sake of Jared Padalecki, who had been suffering severely from depression and was using the work to keep him going. I've been rewatching from the start and the first couple of seasons are absolutely full on. Later seasons suffer from power creep and the afterlife's revolving door, and the tone became much lighter, but Eric Kripke was always ready to address that sort of thing and hang a lampshade on it. It's all on Amazon Prime, and if you never watch another episode of the show you owe it to yourself to watch the crossover with Scooby Doo in S11. It's completely standalone and utterly hilarious.

S1-S5 of Supernatural are brilliant, and everything from then on is still good. the first time Castiel shows up is such a huge awe-inspiring moment

that said, it never hits as high as some X Files episodes (fortunately also nowhere near the lows). but it's such a dependable comfort watch.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Hollismason posted:

Ended up watching The Ninth Gate and now I'm wanting to watch something similar. Any suggestions?

El Dia De La Bestia

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When was the Poltergeist television series made? I feel like it was in that late 80s to late 90s period where horror movies weren't doing too well in theaters so let's make a TV show instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snooze Cruise posted:

EVIL is goat

Is part of the joke that they're in a (presumably satanic and betunnelled) day care?

Come And See posted:

El Dia De La Bestia

Great suggestion and one of the best horror flicks of the 90s.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I made this for ya'll's use in this thread, but it just so happens to work as a quote for this post. Use with care.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Aw man don't do me like that!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When was the Poltergeist television series made? I feel like it was in that late 80s to late 90s period where horror movies weren't doing too well in theaters so let's make a TV show instead.

It was 1996. I always think of it along with Friday the 13th - The Series, though Legacy tried to relate itself to it's source while FT13 just had a throwaway line (if I recall correctly) that Jason's mother's sweater was a cursed object from their shop.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Medullah posted:

It was 1996. I always think of it along with Friday the 13th - The Series, though Legacy tried to relate itself to it's source while FT13 just had a throwaway line (if I recall correctly) that Jason's mother's sweater was a cursed object from their shop.

I loved the Ft13th series because, unlike Freddy's Nightmares, it realized it was never gonna satisfy the gorehounds on a network television first-run syndication show, so it just leaned hard the other way into basically being Darkhold Redeemers the series, and as a mid-90s goth kid who read every Ghost Rider and Blade comic book, that was just fine by me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shrecknet posted:

I loved the Ft13th series because, unlike Freddy's Nightmares, it realized it was never gonna satisfy the gorehounds on a network television first-run syndication show, so it just leaned hard the other way into basically being Darkhold Redeemers the series, and as a mid-90s goth kid who read every Ghost Rider and Blade comic book, that was just fine by me.

Yeah I don't want my post to come across as disdain for FT13, I actually loved the hell out of it for pretty much the exact same reasons. I was huge into the Ghost Rider renaissance from the 90s

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Aw man don't do me like that!

What you don’t want to be Richard Jenkins?

Everyone loves Richard Jenkins.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What are some good horrors where the monster is unambiguously the hero, outside of kaiju and yokai stuff?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What are some good horrors where the monster is unambiguously the hero, outside of kaiju and yokai stuff?

The Carrier (1988)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Nightbreed!! And The Shape of Water. If you want to stretch the Kaiju definition, it's not really a horror but Colossal is decent.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Friday the 13th part 2 onward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

100%. Alex de la Iglesia one of our best genre filmmakers