Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

but i got friends looking

If they're true Asian they have ways of finding it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hammu-rob-i posted:

If they're true Asian they have ways of finding it

sounds like the other post friend

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
during the sriracha shortage i just started getting the garlic chili paste which did not seem to be as affected for whatever reason. it's not as hot but i think it tastes better and it's a good enough substitute on any cuisine where you'd use sriracha. at least to my dumb mouth

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

they are stuck at burning man and would be a nice W to come home to

Why doesn't the community just make its own sriracha from desert plants?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

thathonkey posted:

during the sriracha shortage i just started getting the garlic chili paste which did not seem to be as affected for whatever reason. it's not as hot but i think it tastes better and it's a good enough substitute on any cuisine where you'd use sriracha. at least to my dumb mouth

that stuff also owns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

sambal oelek is awesome and I use it more than sriracha

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I swung by costco yesterday for some gas and bath towels but there were closed. No big deal as I live right nearby. Smiled to myself when I realized they actually care about their staff!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

This weekend I took full advantage of the sale on Premier Protein and have a roughly 9 month supply on hand now. Was worried that I might not be able to pick up more chocolate flavor because they were out on Friday but they had fat stacks when I went w/ a car on Sunday so all was well.

Tried the Kirkland tortilla strips and I don’t know if I got a bad bag or something but they seemed either a little stale or a little doughier than the organic tortilla chips. Not awful but I prefer the chips so far. Going to see how they fare in a big ol’ nacho pile later this week, too bad I’m too far east to get the hatch chili sauce it seems.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MrQwerty posted:

Same, it's so good.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Ayndin posted:

This weekend I took full advantage of the sale on Premier Protein and have a roughly 9 month supply on hand now.

oh poo poo was this just over the weekend or is it still happening?!?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

hark posted:

oh poo poo was this just over the weekend or is it still happening?!?

Just ended, unfortunately, the signs in store said through 9/3 but I heard online might have been 9/4, which still is of no use now. Only ran for about a week.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MrQwerty posted:

Sambal is so loving good it actually makes me disappointed that I'm not much of a spicy condiment kind of guy. I keep a small jar on hand for sardines and occasionally eggs, but otherwise I find myself saying I should use it more often, then declining when given the chance.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Anyone had issues with their kirkland bed sheets? I pulled mine out of the dryer yesterday and both the flat sheet and one of the pillowcases have started coming apart at the seams. They are only maybe 2 years old? Never had a bedsheet fall apart on me before, kinda pissed since these were like $70.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Shredder posted:

Anyone had issues with their kirkland bed sheets? I pulled mine out of the dryer yesterday and both the flat sheet and one of the pillowcases have started coming apart at the seams. They are only maybe 2 years old? Never had a bedsheet fall apart on me before, kinda pissed since these were like $70.

A couple sets of mine have had spots worn through around the bottom corner/where feet may be rubbed after only a year or so. Other sets have been fine.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
God drat was today a bad day to go to Costco. But I was nearby so I felt like I had to try. Even trying to park in the back spaces took about 5-6 minutes to find a spot and negotiate all the idiots. People were obviously doing the "wait for the person unloading their cart" thing, but I swear to god some people were just blocking traffic for the sake of blocking traffic. There was no one loading a cart anywhere near this one guy in a Prius blocking a lane. I knew I was in for a poo poo show when a man driving a Little Ceasars box truck decided to try and navigate the parking lot.

Inside wasn't so bad, lots of slow walkers but everyone was doing their best. I got a lot of things on sale, like some Hawaiian style chicken thighs, but there were no rotisserie chickens so I feel like it was a wasted trip. I only spent $130 and I thought I was spending like $200. I feel like they are gonna ask me to turn in my Costco membership soon.

Any chance anyone has seen these in their stores and tried them? They aren't on the Costco website, but this is them: https://flockfoods.com/collections/all/products/flock-hattiebs It's just a bigger bag obviously, I think priced at $8.99. I thought about trying them but wanted to look into it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Inside wasn't so bad, lots of slow walkers but everyone was doing their best. I got a lot of things on sale, like some Hawaiian style chicken thighs, but there were no rotisserie chickens so I feel like it was a wasted trip. I only spent $130 and I thought I was spending like $200. I feel like they are gonna ask me to turn in my Costco membership soon.

Don't worry, you'll have a $400-$600 trip to make up for your sub $200 trips soon enough.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

do any of you use the big orange flatbed instead of the cart

I'm not powerful enough to make the switch but I just want you to know that I see you and respect you

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ror posted:

I'm not powerful enough to make the switch but I just want you to know that I see you and respect you

Those flatbed trips are a power trip. You just have to cruise along the aisle and know everyone has to get outta the way and they will.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've actually never seen one of the flatbeds at my Costco, huh

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

sambal olek is better for cooking but worse for just heaping on top of stuff

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Everyone knows to part way for Costco royalty when those things are coming through. If you look close enough, you'll see little bows of peoples heads, or backwards glances and whispered words of admiration. That person is about to spend some money. Could be a bunch of groceries, could be a new TV, who knows.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ror posted:

I sit on it while my wife pushes me around and I grab things as we go by

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

ShowTime posted:

Everyone knows to part way for Costco royalty when those things are coming through. If you look close enough, you'll see little bows of peoples heads, or backwards glances and whispered words of admiration. That person is about to spend some money. Could be a bunch of groceries, could be a new TV, who knows.

I had the biggest boner walking around the store with the orange cart and a new TV on it with people asking me how much it cost and if they had any more.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StormDrain posted:

Those flatbed trips are a power trip. You just have to cruise along the aisle and know everyone has to get outta the way and they will.

Years ago my sister in law was tasked with buying a ridiculous amount of Christmas cookies for a work event. Ended up "filling up" one of those orange carts with just about every Christmas cookie that the 'Co sells. 100% power trip.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MrQwerty posted:

It’s a relatively simple sauce - just chilis, salt, and a little vinegar - so it’s great if that’s what you want. There’s no sweetness, or smoke, umami, etc, and the vinegar portion is much smaller than most.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thathonkey posted:

There's some good gojuchang sauces as options depending on what spice level you want. The regular gojuchang paste is more for cooking, but you can get very different flavor profiles, based on the chili, fermentation, rice used, etc.

You want to get real creative, you can make your own sauce with paste and soy sauce, probably keeps in the fridge for a while.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://m.10000recipe.com/recipe/6924449

gochugaru 4 kg
meju garu 4 kg (a byproduct from soy sauce production, difficult to source in america ime)
1 kg malt powder
2 kg glutinous rice
4 l corn syrup
2 kg salt
1 l soy sauce
6 l water
2 375ml bottles of soju

recipe

combine water with malt and bring to boil. cook glutinous rice (not the same as normal rice, follow instructions) and drain. in a mixer, break down the glutinous rice with the water malt mixture. until its a paste.

then add everything else and mix well. age in onggi for at least a few weeks, keeps for a year

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 5, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your generic gochujang sauce is actually gochujang and vinegar, often with sugar added. i usually do a 1:1 ratio and dont add sugar, but my taste is to 90s korean, not the very modern korean taste

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

bob dobbs is dead posted:

your generic gochujang sauce is actually gochujang and vinegar, often with sugar added. i usually do a 1:1 ratio and dont add sugar, but my taste is to 90s korean, not the very modern korean taste

Rice vinegar or does it matter what vinegar you use?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
white: sure

rice: sure

balsamic: prolly not

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

Years ago my sister in law was tasked with buying a ridiculous amount of Christmas cookies for a work event. Ended up "filling up" one of those orange carts with just about every Christmas cookie that the 'Co sells. 100% power trip.

yeah that's an attention multiplier when your cart represents a temporary monopoly on a good. You better know your loving place when All The Cookies rolls by

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Tapatio is my go-to hot sauce.

:same:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
On the flip side of the Cookie King is the Pumpkin Pie Pussy. That one fucker that buys up all the pumpkin pies to use as gifts for clients. Now nobody else gets a pumpkin pie and the bakery has to come in overnight to get enough ready for the next day. Instead of cheers, that prick is met with "shame, shame, shame".

I can get the Christmas cookie thing. Those aren't that hot of a seller, and you usually have that type of party way in advance of Christmas. But you buy that pumpkin pie 2-3 days before Thanksgiving and if you can't get that pie, the entire dinner is questionable.

I bought some of that today when I was at Walmart. One of those big glass bottles you find at taco stands.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If only it was one guy buying hundreds of pies. The dude with the flatbed isn't the man getting 'em all, it's the dudes buying pallets of them and getting them loaded onto his truck at the loading dock.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gaius Marius posted:

If only it was one guy buying hundreds of pies. The dude with the flatbed isn't the man getting 'em all, it's the dudes buying pallets of them and getting them loaded onto his truck at the loading dock.

Thank you for your service :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly the costco pumpkin pie is mediocre at best. I loving love pumpkin pie, and Costco has always disappointed on this front. A rare miss for their bakery.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was tasked with buying a dessert for labor day. I wanted to get that chocolate peanut butter cream pie so bad but I opted for the cookies instead since they're always a hit.

I'm really curious, is that pie any good? I wasn't going to buy a Costco sized pie just for the two of us and, gently caress them, the people at that party weren't worth me bringing $40 worth of Costco desserts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not really, typical of our fare it's too large with too much going on. It's supposed to be a pie version of a Reese's but the amount of chocolate and peanut butter throws the ratio way off. The cream cheese in the PB filling also makes it taste off once you realize it's there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The pro move with Costco deserts is the tiramisu cake. loving tasty and large enough for a party but still small enough for two people to eat over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

When is Chicken Pot Pie coming back? What about Sheppards Pie? Christmas stuff is up, pumpkin pie is back. Bring out the savory pies already!