Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Vivek should've done a campaign event here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this gently caress dome is uncollapsible, god himself couldn't collapse it!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

this sounds like it was decent a decade ago when it wasent packed to the brim with garbage hedge fund losers and others

It was packed full of those people then too.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gathering of the Juggalos is way more pure because they don't need to lie to themselves about it being a few days of hedonism. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest

The difference is that Juggalos go into the event with the expectation of contracting dysentery from rancid mudpitts

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Vivek should've done a campaign event here

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

you dont need to pay hundreds of dollars and rub shoulders with software engineers to do drugs and have sex at a rave in a cool location

mate shut the gently caress UP or the flying executive might go to them instead

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

flyingexecutive should give us all money

or bullshit sinecure jobs that pay way too much

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

i am harry posted:

lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

It was packed full of those people then too.

thats a shame i vaguely remember a goon telling me at least back then it was half-way decent

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

this sounds like it was decent a decade ago when it wasent packed to the brim with garbage hedge fund losers and others

remember that a decade ago was 2013 and not 2003

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

good point

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

i am harry posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bedpan posted:

Yeah late 90's was still mostly kooky art folks, like obviously there were still rich people involved, but it hadn't hit the point where there were airports and whole camps ran by hired help thing.
By 2013 the overt corruption was totally there, but if you ever pointed it out, you'd get told "you don't understand the spirit of radical inclusion things are different on the playa," and they still would pretend it was a tiny art fest.
Now there's literally branded stages and pavilions, so burners can have a little commodification as a treat.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

bedpan posted:

this is so difficult to do

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lib and let die posted:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“inclusion” is a funny word isn’t it because you can just say you’re inclusive and there’s a sort of understood morality point there…and part of your brain goes okay that sounds good

and then you look at what it takes for a person to physically go to something like burning man and you realize it’s inclusive in the same way everything else appropriated by wealth is inclusive; conveniently ignoring and excluding, through passively not inviting, the poor

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my neighbors are burners.

I know this because they have a Land Rover discovery with the vanity plate BURNERS

I never talk to those assholes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah late 90's was still mostly kooky art folks, like obviously there were still rich people involved, but it hadn't hit the point where there were airports and whole camps ran by hired help thing.
By 2013 the overt corruption was totally there, but if you ever pointed it out, you'd get told "you don't understand the spirit of radical inclusion things are different on the playa," and they still would pretend it was a tiny art fest.
Now there's literally branded stages and pavilions, so burners can have a little commodification as a treat.

Also most of those kooky art folks have always been right wing rugged individualist types. That's really the thing with hippies, that whole philosophy is about believing yourself to be some flavor of magical ubermensch.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also most of those kooky art folks have always been right wing rugged individualist types. That's really the thing with hippies, that whole philosophy is about believing yourself to be some flavor of magical ubermensch.

Something about anarchist projects starting out as vaguely anti-capitalist, then getting co-opted by capital with no push back whatsoever, then sending the cops to run over people protesting your mud orgy seems incredibly on-the-nose.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Gumball Gumption posted:

IDK what it is with artists but I have met more insane right wing libertarians among artists than any just about any other group of people. Nearly all my art teachers in school were conservative and anti union, lol

I guess when you think about it, lampreys would probably give us some impassioned defenses of sharks if we gave them the opportunity

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

IDK what it is with artists but I have met more insane right wing libertarians among artists than any just about any other group of people. Nearly all my art teachers in school were conservative and anti union, lol

I guess when you think about it, lampreys would probably give us some impassioned defenses of sharks if we gave them the opportunity

the standard narrative of the artiste is the triumph of the very special boy over the boring, untalented masses. the usual narrative tragedy is that the artiste so often dies before they get to enjoy the material fruits of their singular genius.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

that's right. artists are chuds. mad?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

you know who else was an artist not appreciated in his time?

that's right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you cant habve good art with big government involved

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

artists love Ayn Rand

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

aw frig aw dang it posted:

that's right. artists are chuds. mad?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

iirc, the CIA worked really, really hard in reengineering how art was produced, conceptualized, taught, and critiqued in service of the war against communism

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

bedpan posted:

iirc, the CIA worked really, really hard in reengineering how art was produced, conceptualized, taught, and critiqued in service of the war against communism

can you explain this more

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

bedpan posted:

also dovetails nicely with expensive art being an extremely easy way to launder money.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

sitchensis posted:

can you explain this more

They funded a lot of art programs in the 20th century with the purpose of shaping the art that was produced. The Iowa Writers Workshop was CIA funded to encourage the production of the great American novel that would reinforce the rugged individualism of the US.

Instead of controlling cultural output and discussions through censorship offices like so many other countries the US primarily does it by integrating and taking over the places where the discussions first happen and where artists first learn.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 5, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

cia is also behind funding a lot of lovely modern art as a counterpoint to soviet realist art. pretty badass making people think a big blue square is art, actually

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

ah so pollack was a CIA op

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

"i got drunk and slopped some paint on a biiiiigg canvas!"
yes mr. pollock, that's very nice. here is a big bag of money from the center for intelligent art

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

sitchensis posted:

yep

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gotta lot of work to do striking but if you're interested at all in bm, come out. I'm happy to give an insider's perspective on what happens here. very very little of the bureaucracy and public works are publicly accessible information, like the fact that there's a decent hospital with medical imaging and MDs on site.

the media only reports on "dirty hippies rained out" and Twitter boosts awful techbro shitlords or influencers with Starlinks. I'm in a weird position where I have internet access from the org and can give a perspective that's none of the above. for all the social media panic that people were trapped here and desperate to get out of a himanitarian emergency, only 15% of people actually left yesterday when the gates opened because of how well-provisioned everyone is

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

gotta lot of work to do striking but if you're interested at all in bm, come out. I'm happy to give an insider's perspective on what happens here. very very little of the bureaucracy and public works are publicly accessible information, like the fact that there's a decent hospital with medical imaging and MDs on site.

the media only reports on "dirty hippies rained out" and Twitter boosts awful techbro shitlords or influencers with Starlinks. I'm in a weird position where I have internet access from the org and can give a perspective that's none of the above. for all the social media panic that people were trapped here and desperate to get out of a himanitarian emergency, only 15% of people actually left yesterday when the gates opened because of how well-provisioned everyone is

money in the bag, motherfucker

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

gotta lot of work to do striking but if you're interested at all in bm, come out.

uhhh no thanks dude I don't think anyone's interested in ur bm lol

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

sitchensis posted:

Do you have a better explanation for Pollock's success?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

money in the bag, motherfucker