Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Let. Ippo. Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i think it's fun to watch the development from "just let Ippo stay retired" to "bring him BACK" after seeing how he'll actually he changing from the boring as sin matches he had pre-retirement.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

It also be fun if instead of slogging thru his matches, he just dominate no contest his first few return matches. Have him go against Itakagi’s old rival and beat him in one round

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GateOfD posted:

It also be fun if instead of slogging thru his matches, he just dominate no contest his first few return matches. Have him go against Itakagi’s old rival and beat him in one round

Any return to the ring must involve some squashes to sell his immense increase in knowledge and tactics.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Any return to the ring must involve some squashes to sell his immense increase in knowledge and tactics.

:yeah:
He just casually open-palm parried the White Fang, his return match should be a complete jobber. Just gets completely underestimated and dismissed as a washed up has-been and then :gibs:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I was trying to remember what the last jobber match Ippo had was and my first thought was Karasawa, the guy who tried to train his abs to take Ippo punches, but I forgot about Kojima, his last victory, the guy who tried to grit his teeth and take a punch from Ippo. That fight was 400 chapters ago, in 2011.

The point I was gonna make was that it feels like fans have been salivating for a jobber fight for a long time. I think I'm still kinda right even though that was just 3 fights ago.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 28, 2023

Raven9686
Feb 17, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Sounds great. They literally call them tune up fights in the show/real boxing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

i think it's fun to watch the development from "just let Ippo stay retired" to "bring him BACK" after seeing how he'll actually he changing from the boring as sin matches he had pre-retirement.

He might get one or two cool matches after coming back, but then he'll revert to old habits, mark my words.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ytlaya posted:

He might get one or two cool matches after coming back, but then he'll revert to old habits, mark my words.

and it'll happen as soon as Kamogawa starts coaching him again

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rubellavator posted:

I was trying to remember what the last jobber match Ippo had was and my first thought was Karasawa, the guy who tried to train his abs to take Ippo punches, but I forgot about Kojima, his last victory, the guy who tried to grit his teeth and take a punch from Ippo. That fight was 400 chapters ago, in 2011.

The point I was gonna make was that it feels like fans have been salivating for a jobber fight for a long time. I think I'm still kinda right even though that was just 3 fights ago.

I went back and skimmed through that arc and there are some good panels like

and itagaki giving miyata poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As long as Ippos return fight has Announcer Date ringside itll be fun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Garrand posted:

I went back and skimmed through that arc and there are some good panels like

and itagaki giving miyata poo poo

I want more of that Itagaki cause Miyata deserves to be dunked on forever

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the best part of itagaki is when he's like an Actual For Real rear end in a top hat

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
itagakis always been kind of a prick. way more than the ippo/aoki/kimura group

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

all outfighters in general, are pricks

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

For a while it kinda seemed like Morikawa was setting up an eventual fight between Itagaki and Ippo, but then Imai humbled his rear end.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think it's still going to happen. itagaki's going to break out of his slump right when ippo's on actual track to get back into the ring, rise meteorically, and challenge ippo to a match of pride right before he's going back onto the world stage

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I was thinking it would be cool to show Ippo's growth by having him fight a fast outboxer and win without using his patented "dive in and keep using your head as a shield until you can land a big punch". Like he could actually adopt a strategy to bait out a certain punch and crush the guy with a counter. Using Itagaki as that cannon fodder would just be cruel though.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Itagaki still at KBG? They wouldn't be able to have a ranked match. Now if they were to work up some big official sparring match like Ippo V Miyata 1 and 2...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

have ippo and itakagi never even sparred?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GateOfD posted:

Do you count the first day Itagaki came to the gym?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIMcrsVmEDk

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

GateOfD posted:

They did but then Kamogawa forbid it around the time Itagaki started become The Flash, right before Imai crushed him and Itagaki stopped getting named opponents.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one
https://mangadex.org/chapter/123e2450-581c-4530-80f3-8805a79a0dea

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God when he starts boxing again he is gonna be a monster now that he's actually like learning how to actually box.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol, Ippos gonna be able to box just as well southpaw as regular and can adjust on what will do best against the other boxer when he fights again.
can they make a new anime season and just start off like before sparring Volg again..

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 5, 2023

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ippo just can't stop abusing that riverbank

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Just Mr. Miyagi-ing himself into becoming the greatest boxer ever.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I wonder if Morikawa realizes the irony that Ippo's most significant periods of growth have been explicitly without the Coach.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Namnesor posted:

I wonder if Morikawa realizes the irony that Ippo's most significant periods of growth have been explicitly without the Coach.

some off-handed comments from Takamura have done more for Ippo's boxing than years of coaching from Kamogawa

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good lord Ippo you're doing it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GateOfD posted:

lol, Ippos gonna be able to box just as well southpaw as regular and can adjust on what will do best against the other boxer when he fights again.
can they make a new anime season and just start off like before sparring Volg again..

Some of the best fights in the series are before that though?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Some of the best fights in the series are before that though?

Start with Ippo ringside at the Volg fight from a few years back and have him flashback to woli and stuff after and taking a break.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Not gonna lie, I want to see the Woli vs Ippo fight animated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ippo recreating my childhood experience of hitting a rubber object (basketball for me) with a metal club (baseball bat for me) and having it bounce off and smack me in the face. Only in my case it gave me a giant black eye.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

Surprise! You've been SSJ ambidextrous this whole time!!

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo recreating my childhood experience of hitting a rubber object (basketball for me) with a metal club (baseball bat for me) and having it bounce off and smack me in the face. Only in my case it gave me a giant black eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXSg8Gy4MI

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Dexo posted:

Not gonna lie, I want to see the Woli vs Ippo fight animated.

here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FEq-Atjp4

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Can't wait to see Mashiba's face when Ippo shows up wanting to be his sparring partner.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

She's lucky because just the basketball hit her. I had my friend toss me a basketball, which I tried to hit like a baseball. The ball ended up heading more straight towards my face, and I tried to hit it from that angle, causing the actual bat itself and bounce into my face.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

There are so many great, dynamic panels in this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this chapter really reminded me of old Ippo, where Ippo was given one specific thing to practice for and you'd see him just training his rear end off to get it just right. I had the montage music from the old anime playing in my head the whole time