Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you highlight your urethra by shoving transparent-ink markers up it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ohtori Akio posted:

from a protestant, modern, faithful perspective church architecture as a means of expressing the way in which one intends to worship is pretty badass. i sometimes attend churches from a wide array of expressions of that from "giant box with columns" to "tiny little timbered space" and it piuts you in very different mindsets as one looks to connect with god

i tried explaining this principle to my local church and asked them to set up giant dick statuary, but they just told me no and that kinda bummed me out

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

i tried to get my local church to set up giant dick statuary, but they just told me no and that kinda bummed me out

try the episcopals

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
praying for all the travelers on the wypipo hajj. hope they don’t get Ebola and die. amen

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

FirstnameLastname posted:

john brown was right, he was as right as a person can be about anything and the only thing he messed up was thinking that other people would be as right as him about slavery

i think pacifism is the ideal at the personal level when there's nothing wrong happening, but when there is, pacifism does not actually fix things. pacifism as encouraged by the state or positions of power is simply a method of divide and conquer to reduce the concentration of dissent directed towards the ruling class.

the only instances of pacifism appearing to result in positive change (Civil Rights Act, Brits out of India, etc.) have not been because of the pacifist behavior, at all, but because it offered a more palatable alternative to the ruling class than the more violent and revolutionary alternatives and by embracing pacifist ideology, the ruling class splits and marginalizes the revolutionary potential of the oppressed. Civil Rights Act f. ex. the opposing message to MLK's "I Have A Dream" was the Black Panther Party's "We are advocates of the abolition of war which can only be abolished through war and in order to get rid of the gun, it is necessary to pick up the gun."

that's why non-violent, non-disruptive protest is depicted as the only tolerable method for humans to show dissent in the western world, and why it's put on a pedestal above all other forms of dissent and treated as the 'moral' way to fight power - anything more than that, even MLK/rosa parks style civil disobedience will have society at large completely tolerate the protest being smashed to bits, because everyone has been taught and told repeatedly protest is 'supposed to be peaceful and civil', even though those being opposed are not and will not ever be

like, im not making a call to violence, but pacifism didn't end apartheid, pacifism didn't end slavery, pacifism didn't end jim crow, pacifism didn't overthrown the ancien régime, pacifism didn't give india independence, or ireland, or mexico, or cuba, or indonesia, or algeria, or vietnam. pacifism will not free palestine, pacifism will not demilitarize the police, pacifism will not remove the ruling class from power, pacifism will not liberate the working class. being a nonviolent person is admirable and i think something people should strive to be, but as a group ideology, as a means to an end, pacifism is idealistic and cannot actually even exist without a violent counterpart ensuring that it won't be destroyed - look at how useful nonviolent resistance and protest was in nazi germany lol. peaceful protests only work, and are only even allowed, when that protest is backed up by an understanding that if the protest isn't allowed to occur, violence will.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i feel bad if i kill an insect by accident and if one gets inside i always try to catch it and let it go outside again, i would say im a temperamental pacifist

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

AxGrap posted:

Idk bout god or anything

kinda sums up life

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
churches should be converted into movie theaters, the religion of the modern age

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I tried to be genuinely respectful to the Mormon missionaries who showed up to my door this weekend, and let them give me as much of a spiel as they had.

I'm not impressed with the apologetics skills of the boots on the ground missionaries. "Don't you feel like without God watching you, you're tempted to do bad things" is D-tier material, boys.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Imagine theirs no heaven

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ikanreed posted:

I tried to be genuinely respectful to the Mormon missionaries who showed up to my door this weekend, and let them give me as much of a spiel as they had.

I'm not impressed with the apologetics skills of the boots on the ground missionaries. "Don't you feel like without God watching you, you're tempted to do bad things" is D-tier material, boys.

Door to door proselytism is essentially hazing. They're there to cement their identity as Mormon moreso than to actually recruit.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ohtori Akio posted:

Door to door proselytism is essentially hazing. They're there to cement their identity as Mormon moreso than to actually recruit.

This! One of my favorite cultural values of the Mormons was The Mission and how every young man goes out for 2ish years to be where God needs them to be. Makes for a stronger person to have your faith tested and proved by the world. Also, without work, faith is merely happy thoughts. I heard the personal stories of a couple of missionaries who did work to help people who might accept the word of Jesus Christ and latter-day saints if they had water and an English teacher. The language schools are top notch too, beat out the military spook language schools in performance and effectiveness.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

This! One of my favorite cultural values of the Mormons was The Mission and how every young man goes out for 2ish years to be where God needs them to be. Makes for a stronger person to have your faith tested and proved by the world. Also, without work, faith is merely happy thoughts. I heard the personal stories of a couple of missionaries who did work to help people who might accept the word of Jesus Christ and latter-day saints if they had water and an English teacher. The language schools are top notch too, beat out the military spook language schools in performance and effectiveness.

Wouldn't those schools just be run the same people

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ohtori Akio posted:

I'm just saying maybe I wouldn't be an atheist if more people could present a coherent dualist analysis of the phenomenology of lived experience, and the apparent but unprovable value of induction.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

ikanreed posted:

the apparent but unprovable value of induction.

if you like your gas stove you can keep your gas stove

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

TItties in my mouth

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

that buddhas name is tony

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

tony lobes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ohtori Akio posted:

TItties in my mouth

amitabha

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the buddha of eternal milk

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ikanreed posted:

If you put up with them long enough they send in a senior member to start the hard sell. I made the mistake of extending basic human decency to a missionary once and after two weeks I had a used car salesman coming around trying to pressure me into converting. You have to politely but firmly tell them to gently caress off

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

If you put up with them long enough they send in a senior member to start the hard sell. I made the mistake of extending basic human decency to a missionary once and after two weeks I had a used car salesman coming around trying to pressure me into converting. You have to politely but firmly tell them to gently caress off

what happens if you invite them in to suck your dick?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

what happens if you invite them in to suck your dick?

without a doubt this happens and is a major reason for the buddy system

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

without a doubt this happens and is a major reason for the buddy system

The first time he came alone, but after that he always had company. I missed my window.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

The first time he came alone, but after that he always had company. I missed my window.

maybe you can get two for the price of one.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
imagining the mission supervisor guys making pairs so you dont get a double gayboy team who are jsut gonna eiffel tower the first twink they meet

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Administering subtle tests to always match someone who leans twink with someone who leans bear, thinking back wistfully over missed opportunities

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
sure it's easy to be free from desire when you have nips that big

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nix Panicus posted:

As long as the next one can grapple with basic epistemology, they can have at it.

Per thread's title, I do sincerely wish more people pitching The Truth of Life, put in a little bit more thought on what the concept of truth means.

It's definitely my biggest personal gulf with religious leftists, who are often more attached to the moral dimension of their religions.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

ikanreed posted:

It's definitely my biggest personal gulf with religious leftists, who are often more attached to the moral dimension of their religions.

N.T. Wright, the Anglican bishop, once said that "some kinds of liberal Christians view Jesus as a mere social reformer whose crucifixion got in his way. 'Dead at 33', you can imagine them saying, 'what a promising career cut short!'"

William Bear has issued a correction as of 06:07 on Sep 7, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

the buddha of eternal milk

Lol. What is the sound of one boob flapping

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Poppers posted:

Lol. What is the sound of one boob flapping

sexy?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

gross

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

im not making a call to violence,

but pacifism didn't end apartheid, pacifism didn't end slavery, pacifism didn't end jim crow, pacifism didn't overthrown the ancien régime, pacifism didn't give india independence, or ireland, or mexico, or cuba, or indonesia, or algeria, or vietnam. pacifism will not free palestine, pacifism will not demilitarize the police, pacifism will not remove the ruling class from power, pacifism will not liberate the working class. being a nonviolent person is admirable and i think something people should strive to be, but as a group ideology, as a means to an end, pacifism is idealistic and cannot actually even exist without a violent counterpart ensuring that it won't be destroyed - look at how useful nonviolent resistance and protest was in nazi germany lol. peaceful protests only work, and are only even allowed, when that protest is backed up by an understanding that if the protest isn't allowed to occur, violence will.
how do you resolve the inherent contradiction to yourself here? you say there shouldn't be a call to violence, but pacifism doesn't work. why is being pacifist admirable and good, yet then also has never been meaningful? i mean this in an earnest question -- it sounds like you still have liberal hesistencies living in your mind

personally, i'm not gunna do poo poo: im gunna post and play video games. posting > *. it's simple as a press of a button

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jesus wouldn't approve of kinkshaming, just so you know

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fortaleza posted:

Wouldn't those schools just be run the same people

No, the Airforce spook schools are ran by regular evangelical protestants and it shows in their quality of graduate.

Ohtori Akio posted:

imagining the mission supervisor guys making pairs so you dont get a double gayboy team who are jsut gonna eiffel tower the first twink they meet

Lmfao

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

how do you resolve the inherent contradiction to yourself here? you say there shouldn't be a call to violence, but pacifism doesn't work. why is being pacifist admirable and good, yet then also has never been meaningful? i mean this in an earnest question -- it sounds like you still have liberal hesistencies living in your mind

personally, i'm not gunna do poo poo: im gunna post and play video games. posting > *. it's simple as a press of a button

Calls to violence arent allowed on the forums, so you have to hedge if you want to point out how violence is usually the only effective path to lasting and meaningful change. Theres a reason non-violence is pushed so heavily as an absolute good in society, and why every would be reformed is praised for their non-violent approach after their deaths - which are usually violent and often state sponsored - to a degree that eclipses anything else about their philosophy.

I'm not going to do poo poo either because individual action is futile and video games are good

ikanreed posted:

As long as the next one can grapple with basic epistemology, they can have at it.

Per thread's title, I do sincerely wish more people pitching The Truth of Life, put in a little bit more thought on what the concept of truth means.

The elder they sent was a true believer with all the mannerisms of a salesman. The answers were rehearsed, deviations were ignored, conversation was boring, and the guy mainly just wanted to know what it was going to take to put me in a new religion today. I think the junior guy was faintly embarrassed, but I guess the point was to either close the deal or move on, missionary work wasnt about questioning truths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004