Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

they could make daycare a pre tax expense to help but I don’t think that would help much

They partially do in the most needlessly complex way possible, and it depends on the correct benefit account being offered by your employer. The way it’s implemented is stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

they could make daycare a pre tax expense to help but I don’t think that would help much

dependent care FSAs but you can only contribute 5k annually I think (so 3 months :v:) and it’s use or lose

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Iverron posted:

dependent care FSAs but you can only contribute 5k annually I think (so 3 months :v:) and it’s use or lose

quote:

Unfortunately, Congress did not index the $5,000 dependent care FSA yearly contribution to inflation, when it established the cap in 1986. 36 years ago, average childcare cost were $5,000 per year.

lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

trumpw as the most progressive president since nixon

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

In Training posted:

it's something American capital made up as another psychological tool for preventing working class solidarity.

The term middle class is older than America.

Whenever people talk about how the middle class might be gutted, I like to refer to this:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/wage-labour/ch09.htm

Relevant excerpt

Old Karly posted:

To sum up: the more productive capital grows, the more it extends the division of labour and the application of machinery; the more the division of labour and the application of machinery extend, the more does competition extend among the workers, the more do their wages shrink together.

In addition, the working class is also recruited from the higher strata of society; a mass of small business men and of people living upon the interest of their capitals is precipitated into the ranks of the working class, and they will have nothing else to do than to stretch out their arms alongside of the arms of the workers. Thus the forest of outstretched arms, begging for work, grows ever thicker, while the arms themselves grow every leaner.

It is evident that the small manufacturer cannot survive in a struggle in which the first condition of success is production upon an ever greater scale. It is evident that the small manufacturers and thereby increasing the number of candidates for the proletariat – all this requires no further elucidation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lmao I hadn’t known it’s been the same cap since I was in daycare. Seems like a wildly popular thing to for any congress to address instead of having it be a bunch of hoops to jump through for a partial deduction.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My grandpa died in the corporate greed. He fell out of a guard tower.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

LonsomeSon posted:

eat my hair and poo poo, obama

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

My grandpa died in the corporate greed. He fell out of a skyscraper.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1699157580382171469?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Thoguh posted:

lmao I hadn’t known it’s been the same cap since I was in daycare. Seems like a wildly popular thing to for any congress to address instead of having it be a bunch of hoops to jump through for a partial deduction.

It would cost money that wouldn't be going to defense companies.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

We The Consumers of The United States of America, in Order to do more perfect Consumption

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

lol they titled their ad one letter off from "get to work"

got to work doesn't even make sense, they're so bad

its got other good nuggets too like "inflation down to 3%" when the fed has been targeting 2% for decades (and it will go back up anyway)

plus the unemployment rate info is already out of date even by their own fake metrics . Good poo poo.

Looking forward to CPI next week

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

an ad full of bullshit metrics and garbage sounds just like a regular ole ad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
yep, still Got To Work :smith:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Oil lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

first time brent has crossed $90 / barrel in 2023

quick! do a SPR release!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Monitoring the barrels. Wondering if the economy can handle $100 again

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Similarly, did you know you can take a penalty-free early withdrawal from your IRA to help you buy your first house?

A big $10,000, thanks congress :classiclol:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the lever has only kept moving in one direction and now its all gone

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

its got other good nuggets too like "inflation down to 3%" when the fed has been targeting 2% for decades (and it will go back up anyway)

plus the unemployment rate info is already out of date even by their own fake metrics . Good poo poo.

Looking forward to CPI next week

Love the economic hype men talking about the rate of inflation coming down

*car going 125 mph*

I'm only increasing speed a little now!

Treating current rate of change as the sum total of damage done by rate of change One Weird Trick

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Yeah it would help upper middle class people a lo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Vote.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol democrats

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

this is what i would consider to be the bare minimum social safety net, but look at the impact it still managed to have:

which is why something like that will never ever be allowed to happen again.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

comedyblissoption posted:

trumpw as the most progressive president since nixon

That doesn’t sound right

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
LET ER RIP

https://twitter.com/MikeZaccardi/status/1699088738893086824?s=20

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I always felt like the student loan restart would be the match to light this rocket so let's see what happens

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

crucially the term “US Consumer” implies “US Citizen” but more than half the population doesn’t consume much because they’re dead loving broke.
“US Consumer” is instead a subgroup of US Citizenry, and can conveniently shrink without anyone technically mentioning it and still being “right” when writing statements like these.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Biden admin oversaw the greatest rollback of governmental assistance since Reagan. Super glad this dude is president.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Brought to you by a derivatives trader.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the portrait of the us consumer by oscar wilde

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

crucially the term “US Consumer” implies “US Citizen” but more than half the population doesn’t consume much because they’re dead loving broke.
“US Consumer” is instead a subgroup of US Citizenry, and can conveniently shrink without anyone technically mentioning it and still being “right” when writing statements like these.

It's the Premium Consumers who lead the way, boldly consuming at a rate no mere peasant could ever aspire to

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

webcams for christ posted:

first time brent has crossed $90 / barrel in 2023

quick! do a SPR release!

The SPR is currently filling at a rate of about 6 uh 6,000x1000 a week right now. So 6 million barrels a week. Likely playing into the rise, among other factors.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Capital will make sure none of this good stuff ever happens again on their watch.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Video about Teton County Wyoming which has the biggest wealth Disparity in the usa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuwTlpzVdSk

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

nothing we can do, ratchets only go one way :shrug:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

the portrait of the us consumer by oscar wilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006