Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

tristeham posted:

he wasn't really persecuted, he got to enjoy a pretty high standard of material comfort all his life.

he did get iced out of the theaters and was functionally banned from writing more operas after Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk. when I was in school musicologists were arguing that this robbed the 20th century of it's greatest opera composer, but I kinda think that's anticommunist cope. I like The Nose better anyway. should have done more of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cope, go suck Grover's dick

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i like shostakovich but long form artsy staged stuff is kinda boring. so ultimately icing him into smaller scale stuff was ftw

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i kicked burning man's rear end

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Apparently burners just drop all the trash they take out on the nearest town. https://www.kunr.org/nevada-california/2019-09-06/trash-and-burn-the-mess-after-burning-man

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Apparently burners just drop all the trash they take out on the nearest town. https://www.kunr.org/nevada-california/2019-09-06/trash-and-burn-the-mess-after-burning-man

yeah how dare someone attempt to improve sparks nv by dumping trash all over it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it also isn't unusual for upper-class art to be extremely informed and influenced by whoever the ruling class is, and the whole "xxx is all CIA ops" stuff tends to be done by people looking ofr an excuse to dismiss genres of art they don't really like in the first place

nah it was literally the cia

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/artcurious-cia-art-excerpt-1909623

quote:

The secrecy with which the CIA pursued Abstract Expressionism was not only integral to successfully fooling the Soviet Union but also to keeping any associated artists in the dark. In [former CIA operative Donald] Jameson’s words, “[M]ost of [the Abstract Expressionists] were people who had very little respect for the government in particular and certainly none for the CIA.” Multiple artists self-identified as anarchists, particularly Barnett Newman, who was so taken by anarchism that he would later write the foreword to the 1968 reprint of Russian author Peter Kropotkin’s 1899 Memoirs of a Revolutionist, describing the anarcho-communist’s influence upon his life and work. In other words: tell Clyfford Still or Helen Frankenthaler that you wanted to use their paintings to forward a government agenda, and the answer would most likely have been a firm no.

The CIA’s answer to these problems was something known as the long-leash policy. This solution kept CIA operatives at a remove of two or three degrees from the artists and art exhibitions—sometimes even more—so that they could not be linked to any furtive governmental bankrolling. In order to fulfill this need, they elicited the participation of arts foundations, artists groups, and, most crucially, art museums, requesting their assistance in organizing special exhibitions, events, and collections. Such activity was funneled through a new arts agency created by the CIA named the Congress for Cultural Freedom (CCF), which was developed in 1950 and not revealed as a CIA project until 1966. It would always appear, then, that a museum or arts corporation was presenting and promoting Abstract Expressionism, never the government, no way! And no one was the wiser, not even the artists themselves. Especially not the artists themselves.

but sometimes the CIA funded good artists too! like using Louis Armstrong to cover for getting access to Lumumba before he was assassinated

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/12/louis-armstrong-and-the-spy-how-the-cia-used-him-as-a-trojan-horse-in-congo

quote:

It was a memorable evening: Louis Armstrong, his wife and a diplomat from the US embassy were out for dinner in a restaurant in what was still Léopoldville, capital of the newly independent Congo.

The trumpeter, singer and band leader, nicknamed Satchmo as a child, was in the middle of a tour of Africa that would stretch over months, organised and sponsored by the State Department in a bid to improve the image of the US in dozens of countries which had just won freedom from colonial regimes.

What Armstrong did not know was that his host that night in November 1960 was not the political attaché as described, but the head of the CIA in Congo. He was also totally unaware of how his fame had allowed the spy who was making small talk across the starters to gain crucial information that would facilitate some of the most controversial operations of the entire cold war.

“Armstrong was basically a Trojan horse for the CIA. It’s genuinely heartbreaking. He was brought in to serve an interest that was completely contrary to his own sense of what was right or wrong. He would have been horrified,” said Susan Williams, a research fellow at London University’s School of Advanced Study and author of White Malice, a new book which exposes the astonishing extent of the CIA’s activities across central and west Africa in the 1950s and early 60s.
There was something else that Armstrong, who had pulled out of a similar tour to the Soviet Union three years earlier in protest at racism in the US, did not know. The CIA in the Congo, led by Devlin, was trying to kill the Congo’s first democratically elected prime minister, 35-year-old Patrice Lumumba, fearful that he would lead the country into the Soviet camp. Historians now believe the nationalist leader wanted his country to remain neutral in the cold war.

Just a mile or so from where Armstrong and Devlin had dined, the charismatic Lumumba was being held prisoner in his official residence by soldiers loyal to Joseph-Désiré Mobutu, the young military chief with a close working relationship with the CIA, who had effectively seized power some weeks earlier.

Within two months of Armstrong’s tour, Lumumba was murdered in Katanga by officials of the breakaway province and police officers from Belgium. Mobutu would later consolidate his hold on Congo, and become a loyal US client.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

it’s called disruption, and is key part of being a 10x full stack performer.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

i like shostakovich but long form artsy staged stuff is kinda boring. so ultimately icing him into smaller scale stuff was ftw

but the ring cycle is ftw

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you want to keep the barren wasteland pristine, dumping your trash on the filthy poors locals is the only alternative.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

my camp got an official reprimand for leaving behind three pistachio shells and a couple stands of plastic fiber (from a tarp that had shredded)

someone please find me a cleaner gathering of 80,000 people, because most of them look like this

lol

quote:

One of those businesses was Whole Foods, where Burner Joel Remland brought the trash from his campsite. Off-loading 20 large bags of garbage and recycling, the New York resident says littering goes against the Burning Man ethos.

"We spent maybe a half-hour, 4o minutes, with a rake scraping every square inch of the space we were camping on," Remland said, "pulling up hair fibers [and] the smallest imaginable piece of junk, to make sure we've done our part. So, while the Burning Man community, at large, takes it very seriously, when you get 80,000 people, there's bound to be some stray things falling off here and there, but my sense is that everyone takes it quite seriously."

But, as Remland mentioned, it's not uncommon for unsecured trash to be left on the side of the road.

On Highway 447, which runs between I-80 at Wadsworth and Gerlach, right off the playa, there was some form of trash every mile or so just after the event ended. Most of it appeared to have blown off of people's vehicles. Many of the garbage bags were intact, but several had been run over, scattering cans and plastic bottles everywhere.

Another few miles down the road, there was an electric message sign that flashed, "No Dumping Allowed," but mere feet away sat a big ol' pile of trash.

This trash along the highway has become such an issue for some that, in recent years, people have begun setting up dumpsters on the side of the road.

lmao

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

webcams for christ posted:

but the ring cycle is ftw

sure but im too sleepy for it. a two act musical is the most i can handle

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

he did get iced out of the theaters and was functionally banned from writing more operas after Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk. when I was in school musicologists were arguing that this robbed the 20th century of it's greatest opera composer, but I kinda think that's anticommunist cope. I like The Nose better anyway. should have done more of that

yeah the nose rules

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i mean from an art historical perspective this isnt saying the thing you think its saying. abex was seen as a uniquely american movement, directly opposed to the old world french salon style of painting that was still very much what people thought of when they thought of "a painting". theres also a lot of other postwar stuff going on in new york that gave rise to the loose collection of artists known as abstract expressionists.

now if you want to tell me that the cia invented the category id be willing to listen but youd have to talk about the cia's relationship to clement greenberg, which doesnt seem to be in that article. this is a little different from "the cia invented abstract expressionism".

a lot of this is covered in "the painted word" by tom wolfe, which is a quick read

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the best 20th century opera composer was Janacek anyway

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

lol America

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the links between the government and art in the 20th century definitely existed, the part that annoyed me mostly happened on dumb websites where instead of using this information to look at art critically, it was instead used for blanket dismissal of entire genres of art and music, which is boring

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the links between the government and art in the 20th century definitely existed, the part that annoyed me mostly happened on dumb websites where instead of using this information to look at art critically, it was instead used for blanket dismissal of entire genres of art and music, which is boring

yes and before the 20th century there was of course no links between government and art

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best 20th century opera composer was Janacek anyway

strong candidate. played Příhody lišky Bystroušky a couple of seasons ago and had a blast

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it’s called contemporary art not modern art you loving art-tards!!!! monet wasn’t on the cia
take!!!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

either anticommunist cope or antimodernist cope. shosty gets held up a lot as the last great composer by a lot of people who hate everything else written after Stravinsky lol

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Mr. Sharps posted:

it’s called contemporary art not modern art you loving art-tards!!!! monet wasn’t on the cia
take!!!!!!

get their asses

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

im gonna abstractly express myself all over their faces

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Al! posted:

i mean from an art historical perspective this isnt saying the thing you think its saying. abex was seen as a uniquely american movement, directly opposed to the old world french salon style of painting that was still very much what people thought of when they thought of "a painting". theres also a lot of other postwar stuff going on in new york that gave rise to the loose collection of artists known as abstract expressionists.

now if you want to tell me that the cia invented the category id be willing to listen but youd have to talk about the cia's relationship to clement greenberg, which doesnt seem to be in that article. this is a little different from "the cia invented abstract expressionism".

a lot of this is covered in "the painted word" by tom wolfe, which is a quick read

It didn't need to "invent abstract expressionism" to shape the professional art culture. They just needed to financially support something that wasn't communist, and slopping random blobs of paint on a canvas is as free of ideology as you can get.

Art movements don't exist in a vacuum, they are largely a result of the tastes of their buyers and the desires of their patronage networks, which is why every painting in the middle ages was either a scene from the bible or the portrait of some fopish dandy lord, that's who had enough money buy a painting.

See also: A Ukrainian phoenix in the burning man.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Alright getting lame and gay (very very derogatory) so goldmine now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
waiting for the OP to report back before i goldmine this thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im glad the OP decided that Antarctica was full of republicans and chuds, and instead went to the influencer festival with Grover Norquist, Elon Musk and the "rich men north of richmond" guy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The CIA didn't invent stuff, their method was to find people already doing what they wanted and providing those people with a platform and cash while suppressing opposition.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im glad the OP decided that Antarctica was full of republicans and chuds, and instead went to the influencer festival with Grover Norquist, Elon Musk and the "rich men north of richmond" guy

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Al! posted:

i kicked burning man's rear end

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

haring basquiat and warhol were all assassinated for freeing Art from the shackles
of consensus ideology and passing it down to the dumbass rubes of New York City

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Oh I forgot the op. drat this thread was epic from the get go. Thank you stereotype and other failass rich bitch goons for giving us this look into the hedge fund/tech bro yearly convention

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
burning man is now full of chuds and libs. i am instead going to the Met Gala next year with all the cool ancoms

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DaysBefore posted:

Oh I forgot the op. drat this thread was epic from the get go. Thank you stereotype and other failass rich bitch goons for giving us this look into the hedge fund/tech bro yearly convention

op hasnt posted since this lol

Stereotype posted:

so what I’ve learned from this thread is that burning man makes people not at burning man go completely insane and turn into fanatical bloodthirsty monsters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

on the other side shostakovich was mediocre and the KGB was right to persecute him, for making mid music

lol rip

https://2011.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/moskva-cheryomushki/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is it still technically grand theft auto if you take the car grover norquist abandoned

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Taking the F150 down to the Mobil camp to get away from all the frickin chuds and republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ancom.jpg