Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What are some good horrors where the monster is unambiguously the hero, outside of kaiju and yokai stuff?

Joke answer - Small Soldiers!

still kinda love that movie ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Small Soldiers absolutely counts. Great movie.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

100%. Alex de la Iglesia one of our best genre filmmakers

Did you ever get around to Witching & Bitching?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you ever get around to Witching & Bitching?

yeah it was fun as hell. loved the lady from Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown as head witch.

I have Common Wealth out from the library now but haven't watched it yet. I gotta go back and finish 30 Coins too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Carrier (1988)

Ever since you made that movie of the month I think about this movie a lot

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What are some good horrors where the monster is unambiguously the hero, outside of kaiju and yokai stuff?

I'm not sure that's possible, as "a horror movie that is a monster reaping a terrible vengeance on people who deserve it" is just "an action movie"

maaaaaybe The Girl With All the Gifts? A few zombie movies make the case that humanity as a whole deserves to just go away, and Zombies are the method of doing so, but mostly it's "the government/scientists are worse than the zombies, makes you think eh?" but that's just the graffitti from Left 4 Dead all over

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've seen most of the suggestions so far and they're all good but I haven't seen The Carrier, I'll check that out

Shrecknet posted:

I'm not sure that's possible, as "a horror movie that is a monster reaping a terrible vengeance on people who deserve it" is just "an action movie"
The Shape of Water was a good example of it in a non action sense, it's not a scary movie at any point but it's a monster movie with lots of classical horror imagery so that works. Haunting stories about people who absolutely deserve to get haunted are also good (I love the Yokai Monsters series for this but I've watched them and similar movies a bunch already)

But I mean I'm also totally fine with an action movie about Draculas bringing gory vengeance on jerks that deserve it

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 5, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Often this type of horror story is using that same framework from The Golem, so stuff like Pumpkinhead or the Old Chief Woodenhead story from Creepshow 2. You get the revenge angle where it's definitely satisfying to see the bad people get what they deserve but typically that gets turned around by the end and the protagonists have to try to put the monster down for the greater good. You rarely will be 100% on the monsters side from beginning to end.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Stephen King's Popsy is a pretty great short story about a monster being a good guy. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure in Puppet Master 3 the puppets are pretty unambiguously the good guys, it's very much a take on The Golem.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Such a neat movie

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ironically the only thing I can think of is AvP: Requiem, where both the Alien and the Predator are bad and kill lots of people, but the Predator is killing stuff as a means to an end of getting rid of the Alien threat. So you have one unambiguously bad monster (Alien) and one monster that at least is trying (Predator) and the humans are just chum caught in the waters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah it was fun as hell. loved the lady from Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown as head witch.

I have Common Wealth out from the library now but haven't watched it yet. I gotta go back and finish 30 Coins too.

Think I'm overdue on both of those.

DeimosRising posted:

I legitimately forgot I reviewed this and I'm not kidding. But yeah, a lot of the images from that stick in my head, the garbage bag bondage Madonna is some inspired stuff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

Ironically the only thing I can think of is AvP: Requiem, where both the Alien and the Predator are bad and kill lots of people, but the Predator is killing stuff as a means to an end of getting rid of the Alien threat. So you have one unambiguously bad monster (Alien) and one monster that at least is trying (Predator) and the humans are just chum caught in the waters.

But I have it on pretty good authority whoever wins, we in fact lose.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh another good two-fer where the monsters are unambiguously heroic, in my opinion are Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In Day of the Dead, metaphorically speaking, are the scientists and soldiers just the last vestiges of a corrupt empire, sitting in the Winter Palace, trying to understand their predicament with Tarot cards and religious mysticism?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Surprised no-one's mentioned Carrie. Maybe not a hero, but certainly at least justified to a huge extent.

Or on an existential level, Final Destination. Don't try and gently caress with the natural order of things.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm in that weird point in the year when I got horror movies stacking up on my physical pile and I want to watch them, but I know October is right around the corner and a lot of these are new to me so these would be first watches for potential challenges too next month. Ugh. I really want to watch The Last Horror Film and its sitting right there.

Going to be good and just wait till next month and really let the stack grow.

current pile

dorium fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 5, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Twins of Evil is a solid Hammer flick, though I don't think there were any Puritans in Austria in the 1600s. But I was expecting something more trippy in the vein of Vampire Circus.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shrecknet posted:

John Wick is my favorite horror series

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dark Night Of The Scarecrow is kind of a good-guy-monster movie, in that all the victims deserved it and it doesn't fall into the Pumpkinhead formula. There's...kind of Cocaine Bear by the end, Tammy & The T-Rex too, and if you want to stretch a little Warm Bodies is way more charming and fun than I ever expected.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Psycho Goreman

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Opopanax posted:

John Wick is my favorite horror series
unironically it is. a person (gangsters son) transgresses (steals wicks car and kills his dog) and unleashes a terrifying ancient monster once thought locked away (Wick digs up his coins and guns) who kills everyone related to him

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

unironically it is. a person (gangsters son) transgresses (steals wicks car and kills his dog) and unleashes a terrifying ancient monster once thought locked away (Wick digs up his coins and guns) who kills everyone related to him

In JW4 Keanu plays the character a lot like Frankenstein's monster or something along those lines. Wandering around killing people but never quite sure why he's in a given place killing this particular person at this particular moment, just a constant haze of confusion but the one thing he's certain about is that he will Kill Them All. He's kinda like Jason at the beginning of Freddy vs. Jason, wandering in Hell killing and killing but can't really put your finger on why or what the end goal actually is. Just a monster on a neverending hunt without any particular purpose.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They literally call him a witch (baba yaga).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And The Boogeyman. I was mostly joking but yeah I suppose when you get down to it, Wick is a revenant and we just get his POV instead of the victims.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ruddiger posted:

They literally call him a witch (baba yaga).

I am super annoyed there's no chicken legged house in the series, but I am also amused by the story I heard that someone just googled what was Russian for 'boogeyman' and got the wrong thing.

Its that kind of fine attention to detail that truly makes it a slasher.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

T2
The Addams Family
Blade
Hellboy
Darkman
(Young) Frankenstein
Any Larry Talbot as monster hunter
Donnie Darko
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Jacob's Ladder
Return of the Living Dead 3
The Munsters

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STAC Goat posted:

I am super annoyed there's no chicken legged house in the series, but I am also amused by the story I heard that someone just googled what was Russian for 'boogeyman' and got the wrong thing.

Its that kind of fine attention to detail that truly makes it a slasher.

I remember watching the first one with people and it was like a census of Russian folklore knowledge.

About half the people didn’t care/notice and the other half had the rare but specific face of wondering if Keanu Reeves was about to ride a flying mortar and pestle.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

May I interest you in a home invasion-ish movie with a twist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXK4_ZcyrMk

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yes yes yes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don’t really care about aliens in my horror either way, but spooky poo poo with no dialogue for huge chunks is my jam.

Cautiously optimistic. Will probably save for the inevitable challenge involving a UFO horror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Link doesn't work.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

drat, Hulu must have privated it. It was a trailer for Hulu's No One Will Save You which appears to be a home invasion movie but the invaders ARE ALIEN SPIDER MONSTERS?!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When was the Poltergeist television series made? I feel like it was in that late 80s to late 90s period where horror movies weren't doing too well in theaters so let's make a TV show instead.

I remember it debuted the same night the Stargate show did. Showtime pretty quickly poured more attention on Stargate than P:TL early on so it felt like they'd made up their mind on what show was worth their time and dumped the other on Sci-Fi where it was pretty much doomed since around that time Sci-Fi was pushing aside any of the horror stuff they used to help build the channel.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Horror thread, post your favorite horror movie cops/detectives who look like they smell like stale farts.

The cop from Dead Silence

Officer Mooney from Killer Klowns

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tom Atkins. In anything.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Yeah, I'll likely give this a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEk5WsjMDGA

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh I love cops in horror and exploitation! Me and my friends are always on the lookout for funny horror cops we can give nicknames to. Of course you have the evil cop slasher villain such as the Psycho Cop in Psycho Cop Returns, Matt Cordell, the Hell Cop from Highway To Hell, etc, but you also have Dainty Cop from Bride of Re-Animator, Useless Cop from Slaughterhouse, Even More Useless Cop from Angel, Homophobe Cop from Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker...the list goes on. Horror Cops are such a great character type.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'll watch this, mainly because I love the horror subgenre of 'British people find the most nightmarish thing they can think of, slightly more country British people'.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'll watch this, mainly because I love the horror subgenre of 'British people find the most nightmarish thing they can think of, slightly more country British people'.

Looks like a great axe murderer movie.