Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Nothus posted:

I agree, between denial, ambivalence, and conservative grousing about "faking another wave to push vaccine sales", I don't anticipate having any problem finding a dose on day 1 :v:

I'll be able to get one, but previously I could only get my kids doses via the colorado vaccine bus, which seems to have stopped in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Kind of weird how this year follows the line from 21-22. Probably nothing.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao now since Monica said it, I'm thinking that "The XBB booster will protect you from BA.2.86 too!" is going to be this season version of "it's mild!"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There is no evidence that BA 2.86 spreads in schools

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Ghandi moving to LinkedIn is good for the health safety of the planet

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

They deserve each other.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

hellotoothpaste posted:

Ghandi moving to LinkedIn is good for the health safety of the planet

no it's not

making someone engage with you on linkedin is making someone engage in linkedin which is a form of self harm that science hasn't figured out how to properly classify yet

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

Cool article, written by a knowledgeable writer on BA.2.86. I found it thought-provoking and insightful. Subsequently it is here in full with all the bells and whistles, with highlights (by me) of some of the BA.2.86 stuff has not had much - if any - exposure.
"Covid-19: The Shapeshifting Protean Virus"

This is solid analysis and totally fits with suspicions I've had for awhile about other regions. Thanks for linking it again.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
Wow! Joe Brandon!
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1699145228425334913?t=fdAcaVC_SOpHcNkRUACxPg&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pingui posted:

Well, that didn't take long to change:

napkin math: we went from 200 copies/ml to 618 copies/ml in two months. in about 3-4 weeks we will go from the 7th largest wave to the 4th largest

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Woke Mind Virus posted:

where's the best place to look up the wastewater data these days? still biobot?

still biobutt

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1699120845522620551

Gotta say that it is kinda pretty loving weird to see more and more people saying it outright instead of just saying some kind of "illnesses"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My wife and I went camping this weekend with a couple of friends. This morning she woke up early with a fever and tested positive immediately. Did you guys know you can get covid outdoors????? As soon as she wakes up we'll figure out if shes ok taking pax with the meds she's on. Maybe we should have figured this out sooner.

yeah absolutely you can get it outdoors. there’s a case of one jogger in China infecting dozens of people outdoors by passing people on the sidewalk

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
He's wearing a mask because there's a really good chance he has covid.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

mister comrade president,,, thank u

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The View has been on for 27 years?!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Zugzwang posted:

He's wearing a mask because there's a really good chance he has covid.

Reported for speculation on a celebrity health status with zero sources

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Source: Dr. Jill Biden

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Animal-Mother posted:

more like the phew that stinks

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
My partner currently has covid (1 more day of Pax left, and so far hasn't been too bad for her besides a nasty sore throat thankfully!), and I've so far managed to avoid catching it from her by staying in different rooms, keeping all the windows open, and wearing masks when we're in shared space.

Tonight it's supposed to rain quite a bit, so we can't keep all the windows open. If I move our li'l Levoit 300 running at full blast into the bedroom I'm in, shut the doors, and run the central A/C, how does that compare to all open windows? I realize that's tough to answer in the general case without knowing our layout/ventilation/etc. but I'm looking for a little peace of mind (or a reason to allow all our furniture to get drenched).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
wouldn’t run AC, that would circulate air between rooms

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/bnofeed/status/1699112987879948491?s=46

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

more like the phew that stinks

more like the pew, they need jesus ha ha

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

wouldn’t run AC, that would circulate air between rooms

Ah, that's helpful, thank you. My layperson's mental model (A/C unit sucks air in from outside, pushes into each room separately, air doesn't really mix) was wrong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1699123522738459091?s=46

friendship ended with paxlovid metformin is my best friend now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Animal-Mother posted:

The View is referenced in World War Z (as in the book, not the utterly dreadful movie), and it had already been on air a long time by that point.

you can tell World War Z is a work of fiction because humans as a species collectively changed their behaviors and built raised housing complexes with robust emergency measures to adapt to the new normal, of zombies. and because martin shkreli was tried and actually convicted by the hague

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

lol

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1699153284332724492

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

BusError posted:

My partner currently has covid (1 more day of Pax left, and so far hasn't been too bad for her besides a nasty sore throat thankfully!), and I've so far managed to avoid catching it from her by staying in different rooms, keeping all the windows open, and wearing masks when we're in shared space.

Tonight it's supposed to rain quite a bit, so we can't keep all the windows open. If I move our li'l Levoit 300 running at full blast into the bedroom I'm in, shut the doors, and run the central A/C, how does that compare to all open windows? I realize that's tough to answer in the general case without knowing our layout/ventilation/etc. but I'm looking for a little peace of mind (or a reason to allow all our furniture to get drenched).

your AC probably moves air between your rooms, unless you have a multi-segment set-up or whatever (you'd know if you do), but otherwise doors closed + filter on high power near the door will give you extremely, extremely good probability of avoiding infection. covid is highly contagious yes but it's not a nose-seeking missile darting shortest-path down hallways and door cracks.

also note that a somewhat common Thread Trick is to buy a filter from target/etc., remove the packaging / plastic on the filter (don't forget that part lol), use it for a night or two, pack up like new and return. worth considering if you want a little extra firepower for the time being

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One of my buddies is a huge elderly man, he collapsed at home today, fluid in his lungs, too big for his partner to move him, and when he regained consciousness he refused the paramedics' attempt to take him to the hospital. drat it, Steve.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lmfao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

praxis

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

Thanks, Soap Scum and Steve Yun. Sounds like the play is to do most of what I was thinking but keep the A/C off instead. It's been so hot here the past week that it shouldn't be much worse than what we're already used to.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I mean, you could always just keep the AC on while wearing a mask inside.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
thread question. would you be concerned about a/c if you had a merv 13+ filter installed?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Interesting development and good news for Nocturtle and anyone else in NY.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/health/2023/09/05/new-york-makes-covid-19-tests--masks-available-to-schools-as-new-year-begins posted:

New York makes COVID-19 tests, masks available to schools as new year begins

New York state is making COVID-19 rapid test kits and masks available to school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) by request as the academic year begins, Gov. Kathy Hochul's office announced Tuesday.

This comes amid reports of the new BA.2.86 variant and following a rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations over the summer.

“Thanks to the hard work of New York schools, teachers, and parents, we have come a long way to ensure students can safely return to the classroom,” Hochul said in a statement. “Frequent testing for COVID-19 is an important part of keeping our kids safe and preventing an outbreak, and I will continue working to ensure our school districts have the resources they need to provide a safe, in-person learning environment for our students.”

The governor's office said the state will conduct outreach to the state Education Department and BOCES to survey needs for test kits and masks. After the requests have been submitted, the state will deliver the requested tests and N-95 and KN-95 masks to each BOCES for distribution to school districts.

Most school districts in New York return this week.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb posted:

thread question. would you be concerned about a/c if you had a merv 13+ filter installed?

I would, MERV-13's need multiple pass-throughs to catch everything.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imagine rescuing someone in vietnam 55 years ago, and your president opts to infect you with a virus because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/05/politics/white-house-covid-normalcy/index.html posted:

Jill Biden’s bout with Covid-19 upends White House’s sense of normalcy, but pandemic protocols don’t appear to be coming
(..)
“We just have to understand: This is Covid. It’s going to do this,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, who served as coordinator of the Biden administration’s Covid response team until June. “We’re probably going to get a winter wave. … I promise you we’ll get something next summer, and we’ll get something the winter after that.”
(..)

:hmmrona: