Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Maybe they could try preventing spread instead of promising us death and disability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

fosborb posted:

thread question. would you be concerned about a/c if you had a merv 13+ filter installed?

I currently have a merv 13 in my return filter and it makes the AC perform so much worse that even if it stopped covid I wouldn't do it again.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

thread question. would you be concerned about a/c if you had a merv 13+ filter installed?

I have a MERV 14 in mine but i would absolutely not do this unless it was a newer blower unit rated for high filter values, doing otherwise is likely to wreck your AC performance and wear out your blower motor faster

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Maybe they could try preventing spread instead of promising us death and disability?

Maybe you should consider how that would affect short term profits, instead of being so selfish?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mods?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hail Nurgle.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao we knew this was coming. A new lineage of Ba.2.86 already

https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1699179556895371369

From a quick reading apparently this is a mutation in a section that has to do with how the virus replicate itself? This is probably nothing :shrug:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1699179556895371369

From a quick reading apparently this is a mutation in a section that has to do with how the virus replicate itself? This is probably nothing :shrug:

I'm sure there's sure no way a highly immune evasive variant that's showed up on every continent could acquire mutations that increase transmission and virulence

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
need to reup on the masks.

what's the current hotness for bulk aura 9210+?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

no lube so what posted:

need to reup on the masks.

what's the current hotness for bulk aura 9210+?

I think this is the best deal out there right now:

https://www.stauffersafety.com/Product/3m-9210-n95-mask-aura-particulate-respirator-713593

Free shipping if you order over $50 worth.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Nice link for BA.2.86 tracking :)

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Sep 6, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You got to brexit now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BusError posted:

Thanks, Soap Scum and Steve Yun. Sounds like the play is to do most of what I was thinking but keep the A/C off instead. It's been so hot here the past week that it shouldn't be much worse than what we're already used to.

sit in front of a fan all day

sleep with a fan on you

take a couple cold showers a day, real short so you don’t waste water, and keep your mask on when you do. don’t towel off, let the water evaporate off you to cool you down

I dunno how effective it is, but when my roommate was exposed I kept my mask on in the bathroom and brushed/washed my face on the patio

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

I think this is the best deal out there right now:

https://www.stauffersafety.com/Product/3m-9210-n95-mask-aura-particulate-respirator-713593

Free shipping if you order over $50 worth.

Thank you!!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

(..)
take a couple cold showers a day, real short so you don’t waste water, and keep your mask on when you do. don’t towel off, let the water evaporate off you to cool you down
(..)

Spray yourself with a spray bottle of water and put your feet in a bucket of water.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Steve Yun posted:

sit in front of a fan all day

sleep with a fan on you

I dunno how effective it is, but when my roommate was exposed I kept my mask on in the bathroom and brushed/washed my face on the patio

I have been doing full-length maskless showers, but with the bathroom window wide open and the vent fan on. Our apartment is spaced out enough and there are enough open windows in between Sick Person Zone and the bathroom that I've been feeling reasonably comfortable about that risk, but if I do get got, that will probably be how.

And yeah, the fans are blasting away. Fortunately the rain tonight is supposed to bring a break in the heat along with it, so we'll have some relief tomorrow with any luck.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Welp, looks like I was exposed again yesterday. Using flo spray, and briefly, but how long do I have to be on guard for if I got it? Up to two weeks? Should I bother rapid testing even in a day or two/2-3 days after exposure, or wait more than that?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I bought a Cue reader + tests since Lucira appears to never be coming back, and holy crap, I get why this is so expensive. The app, packaging, design, it's like from an alternate universe where Apple released a COVID test. The app itself integrates nearly flawlessly with the hardware, which is not something that is easy to do based on other IoT products I've purchased.

I had an exposure event 6.5 days ago, so just trying to cover my bases before my daily, "I dont want long covid" cardio.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"We knew this would happen. We know it will happen again. We will do nothing about it."

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Got my positive RAT now too so at least my wife and I get to suffer together. Hopefully she can take Pax once we talk to a PCP.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at putting together a small kit/care package for when people I know catch covid. Any suggestions for what should go in there? I was thinking beyond telling people to get pax, to include maybe some nasal/throat irrigation stuff, some Benadryl or something to help with sleep, some supplements, and I guess some Auras and tests.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

brap posted:

I'm looking at putting together a small kit/care package for when people I know catch covid. Any suggestions for what should go in there? I was thinking beyond telling people to get pax, to include maybe some nasal/throat irrigation stuff, some Benadryl or something to help with sleep, some supplements, and I guess some Auras and tests.

Vicks Vaposhower Tablets. They were the only thing keeping me somewhat comfortable until my pax kicked in.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Taking Benadryl for a sleeping aid is such a horrible idea omg.

Taking benadryl in the long term is gonna cause dementia, it's not recommended that folks start taking it to help them sleep, they'll wind up being reliant on it

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

brap posted:

Something to take the Paxlovid taste (Jolly Ranchers, hard candy or some such).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

brap posted:

Good ideas and thoughtful

Imo skip the benadryl, using benadryl to sleep is just not really good for you. you could go with something more benign like melatonin for sleep. mucinex and pseudoephedrine, the real poo poo, for symptoms.

Hard candies like jolly ranchers or something fancier for PaxMouth!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Vicks Vaposhower Tablets. They were the only thing keeping me somewhat comfortable until my pax kicked in.

Yes! Oh yeah for sure this, hot showers were divine

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Also Petey made this for such an event: http://treatingcovid.info/

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

NeonPunk posted:

How is BA.bby formed?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

tell that to Bob

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pingui posted:

Nice link :)

Much like Ryan and Marc, Raj has been pretty incredibly with regular updating and posting about variants. I could've sworn I linked his website info for country stuff at one point but yeah, it's totally worth exploring his tables and see just how much he has to offer, even when sequencing is as low as it is atm.

Gotta actually include the link though, duh

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/raj.rajnarayanan

Zantie has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Sep 6, 2023

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Be careful not to Wachter yourself

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

Much like Ryan and Marc, Raj has been pretty incredibly with regular updating and posting about variants. I could've sworn I linked his website info for country stuff at one point but yeah, it's totally worth exploring his tables and see just how much he has to offer, even when sequencing is as low as it is atm.

Gotta actually include the link though, duh

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/raj.rajnarayanan

I think you did, because I remember the site from before. But I wanted to tag it to be able to find it again. I should probably change the text though...

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Woke Mind Virus posted:

where's the best place to look up the wastewater data these days? still biobot?

I know it says Iowa but if you scroll down she covers the entire US for all most of the available wastewater data and does regular updates. Sara's been a consistent advocate for safety and is pretty passionate about keeping people informed. I think she just got the url before her expanding to national data.

https://iowacovid19tracker.org/

[edit] Correction, only just noticed the fine print under the NWSS section that for counties that have more than one sewershed she displays the info for the one with the largest populated service area. If you're lucky enough to live in Washington state I post updates for all available sewersheds on Wednesdays and Saturdays in here.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Sep 6, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pingui posted:

I think you did, because I remember the site from before. But I wanted to tag it to be able to find it again. I should probably change the text though...

After awhile, and when I'm sleepy enough, all the info we share just kind of blurs together.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

After awhile, and when I'm sleepy enough, all the info we share just kind of blurs together.

Not unlike COVID variants; creating better, fitter information in the process :P

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/loscharlos/status/1699115262543638662?s=46

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NeonPunk posted:

Taking Benadryl for a sleeping aid is such a horrible idea omg.

Taking benadryl in the long term is gonna cause dementia, it's not recommended that folks start taking it to help them sleep, they'll wind up being reliant on it

Appreciate the warning, I'll leave it out and see if a safe alternative could be included instead.

Thanks everybody for the tips, I will be sure to go through all of them when putting it all together.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zantie posted:

I know it says Iowa but if you scroll down she covers the entire US for all the available wastewater data and does regular updates. Sara's been a consistent advocate for safety and is pretty passionate about keeping people informed. I think she just got the url before her expanding to national data.

https://iowacovid19tracker.org/

she's another example of someone who has learned data viz as they go over the last 3 years and she's really grown in that time.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
* Project NextGen Awards Over $1.4 Billion to Develop the Future of COVID-19 Vaccines and Therapeutics

* Clinical Outcomes Associated With [Racially Biased] Overestimation of Oxygen Saturation by Pulse Oximetry in Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19

* Risk of autoimmune diseases following COVID-19 and the potential protective effect from vaccination: a population-based cohort study

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Wife got pax through her PCP and I got it through Sesame Care. I'm very relieved they only told her to stop the medication that interacted rather than forbid Paxlovid entirely.