Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol remember "project butter," the multi-year effort to get web pages to scroll smoothly?

quote:

Project Butter lets the CPU and graphics run in parallel, rather than crash into each other, and has a big impact on both real and perceived speed: the entire interface runs at 60 frames per second on sufficiently fast hardware. Graphics are now triple-buffered to keep scrolling and transitions humming along, and the processor will swing into full gear the moment you touch the screen to keep input lag to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

qirex posted:

lol remember "project butter," the multi-year effort to get web pages to scroll smoothly?

i lol every time it is mentioned.

"oh poo poo! time to kick it into high gear, the primary input method for this device is being used. full throttle, throw everything you can at it!!"

- anroid

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

drat, they came up with the idea of running the logic and the interface in parallel, rather than sequentially?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

the original iphone that ran on a potato chip somehow pulled 60fps off. yet android and their knock off java and linux kernel still runs like poo poo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
finally running at the fps of an original gameboy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last year I bought a small android tablet to try using as a dedicated music streaming remote and the interface was super laggy

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Chance posted:

i lol every time it is mentioned.

"oh poo poo! time to kick it into high gear, the primary input method for this device is being used. full throttle, throw everything you can at it!!"

- anroid

E

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

last year I bought a small android tablet to try using as a dedicated music streaming remote and the interface was super laggy

you can pay $100k for a new car that runs android auto and it's still laggy and unresponsive.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

akadajet posted:

you can pay $100k for a new car that runs android auto and it's still laggy and unresponsive.

well as long as it's just android auto and not android automotive that's laggy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

qirex posted:

can’t wait until Android isn’t single threaded on one of my phone’s inexplicable 24 cores

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

well as long as it's just android auto and not android automotive that's laggy

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

original android was a thrown together pile of garbage and they spent many years trying to dig themselves out of it. drawing the UI on the main thread of an app is amateur level software design

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I had to buy an Apple TV 4K because the Android TV interface on my Sony TV was so god awful.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

android is a thrown together pile of garbage

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey i may not be the best poster but im pretty sure im more cohesive than anroid!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pile Of Garbage posted:

hey i may not be the best poster but im pretty sure im more cohesive than anroid!

jury’s out

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

at least i can smoothly scroll past your posts

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

noooo lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

at least i can smoothly scroll past your posts

project buttery smooth

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
shoulda called it project astroglide

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

project buttduck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

shoulda called it project astroglide

much like Android, Astroglide also stops being smooth if you leave it on long enough

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

much like Android, Astroglide also stops being smooth if you leave it on long enough

:rackem:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Thats why I use a silicone based android

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:hmmyes:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rest in piss you bad idea formed from a stupid concept video hastily made between j allard swinger parties

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

rest in piss you bad idea formed from a stupid concept video hastily made between j allard swinger parties

they couldn't have waited just one more day? smh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
should have made it windows phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what the hell is a surface android

oh wait is this that weird double screen thing?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

what the hell is a surface android

google saw how successful the surface brand is and wanted in on the action

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the courier neé surface duo was hilarious because they made a video that made the idea of a foldable dual screen device look super cool except the video had a bunch of clearly impossible stuff and then a decade later they actually tried to make the thing but on a budget so the software was basically stock android which sucks at dual screens also it was $1400 at launch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

google saw how successful the surface brand is and wanted in on the action

other way around

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ipad-like device

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google + hardware = hilarity, every time

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/11-months-after-launch-googles-pixel-watch-still-has-no-path-to-repair/

quote:

Google says it can’t fix Pixel Watches, please just buy a new one

With no official repair program and no parts, broken Pixel Watches are just e-waste.

Google makes a big deal out of its partnership with iFixit and the availability of replacement parts for its products, but one Google product that doesn't seem fixable is the Pixel Watch. After spotting some posts from Pixel Watch users seeking a remedy after cracking the glass and coming up with no clear answers, The Verge got Google to confirm that, even 11 months after launch, there is no repair plan right now. Google can't fix your watch. There are no parts.

A Google spokesperson told The Verge "At this moment, we don’t have any repair option for the Google Pixel Watch. If your watch is damaged, you can contact the Google Pixel Watch Customer Support Team to check your replacement options."

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it was honestly an incredibly unsurprising turn when apple got on board with right-to-repair in california as they are easily the company that'll have the least trouble complying.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fffuuuuck google forever for trying to puppeteer the corpse of rcs into being a thing, im getting *ads* for it now. how hard was it to just put gchat on a phone in 2006 and keep iterating as needed?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fffuuuuck google forever for trying to puppeteer the corpse of rcs into being a thing, im getting *ads* for it now. how hard was it to just put gchat on a phone in 2006 and keep iterating as needed?
it's hilarious to me that "launch a new chat app, get a promotion" apparently worked for a whole decade

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fffuuuuck google forever for trying to puppeteer

oh, it's not that bad
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/puppeteer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

fffuuuuck google forever for trying to puppeteer the corpse of rcs into being a thing

well i guess this was the next best option after they embarrassed themselves publicly whining to apple to port imessage to andoird