Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since Huy Fong is still struggling to get enough chilis to make their Sririracha, does anyone have a recommendation for something comparable, or at least similar enough? In my experience other brand srirachas are really hit or miss, in some cases ending up more like watery spicy ketchup than actual sriracha.

Here are a few names to know:

Sriracha Panich: Thailand's "original" sriracha, and occupies the same spot in most of the world what Huy Fong sauce occupies in the west. Uses thai chiles, so it will have more of a kick.
Gold Medal Sriracha: This appears to be the OG sriracha from Si Racha. According to some youtube video essay makers travelling southeast asia, sriracha seems to have been disseminated to Thailand through cantonese diaspora from eastern Guangdong. Bonus guest appearance by Steph of Chinese Cooking Demystified. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8pacTAmaFA
Underwood Ranches: Huy Fong's former supplier, had a bad breakup with Huy Fong. Huy Fong sued, Underwood won in court, Huy Fong's alternate suppliers could not meet their quotas. TL;DR: Underwood makes their own brand of sriracha now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdU1X2p2ro

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Today I believe regarding the pot pie

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tapatio is B tier get on the Cholula train you dry humps.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I only buy 100% California Olive Oil.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The pies are just...pies. Especially the Thanksgiving one. Don't think anyone is looking for anything mind-blowing, but pumpkin pies are so synonymous with that holiday that for like, $8, you can get 1 pie that satisfies the craving and be done. You don't need 2 small Sara Lee ones or whatever. And gently caress off with spending time making one from scratch. Just cut me a slice, shoot some whip cream all over it and let me get it down so I can go back to my nap.

I think the undisputed king of the desserts there is the tiramisu or the mousse cake. If you are lucky enough to get the strawberry creme cake though, that's pretty dang good too, but it's very limited. But it's like a giant version of those Little Debbie strawberry shortcake rolls.

bird with big dick posted:

I'm usually part of the Cholula gang but I wanted to go with something different and a gallon of Tapatio for $6 at Walmart was what I went with. If it comes down to it, I can just drink it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Both Tapatio and Cholula are not good sorry to inform OP.

El Yucateco much OP?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

El Yucateco much OP?

Valentina, you pleb.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Valentina, you pleb.

swing and a miss

I stay winning.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

redshirt posted:

I only buy 100% California Olive Oil.

I saw on an episode of either cooks country or cooking with nick stellino years ago about olive oil that if every square foot of Italy was covered in olives it still wouldn’t make enough olives to produce the annual amount of “Italian” olive oil that is sold. There is a lot of counterfeit product that spoils the entire supply chain since it gets mixed into legit products. Good olive oil should be spicy if you eat a spoonful by itself. California olive oil is great because there isn’t the counterfeiting pressure (yet).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The pro move with Costco deserts is the tiramisu cake. loving tasty and large enough for a party but still small enough for two people to eat over a week.

This is what I really wanted but my wife doesn't like tiramisu and I'm not sure how it would've went down with that group. The cookies ended up being the right choice because it turns out that was the only dessert there and they're extremely accessible.

Also...does anyone else have a problem with family gatherings and pies/cakes? Nobody wants to be that person ruining it with a lovely cut so everyone stays away from them, until someone makes a brave attempt to cut themselves a piece. Then they cut it too small because they don't want to be seen as greedy, or use a plastic knife because they're an idiot, and they make a mess of the whole thing. Dessert time always ends with a bunch of either untouched or completely ruined cakes and pies while the single serving desserts go like wildfire. It's really loving weird.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Odd timing, but this famous hot sauce guy did a video ranking hot sauces that came out today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oFOz596BY

I don't think he even tries Tapatio, but he tries Cholula and basically calls it water.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kirkland Golfballs

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Renegret posted:

This is what I really wanted but my wife doesn't like tiramisu and I'm not sure how it would've went down with that group. The cookies ended up being the right choice because it turns out that was the only dessert there and they're extremely accessible.

Also...does anyone else have a problem with family gatherings and pies/cakes? Nobody wants to be that person ruining it with a lovely cut so everyone stays away from them, until someone makes a brave attempt to cut themselves a piece. Then they cut it too small because they don't want to be seen as greedy, or use a plastic knife because they're an idiot, and they make a mess of the whole thing. Dessert time always ends with a bunch of either untouched or completely ruined cakes and pies while the single serving desserts go like wildfire. It's really loving weird.

It's that or someone doesn't allow it to get cut yet until the eldest child is like shut it ma, it's time for pie. I think partly a reaction to not wanting the family to leave so let's delay the final act.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

This is correct. At the Drain house we have some hot sauces with specific uses. Tabasco on my eggs. Cholula for my wife's daily Evol breakfast burrito. The rest is just a door shelf in the fridge and random sauces, there's no recurring, just try new ones. Slutty hot sauce drawer of newness.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think you have a food opinion I don't find revolting

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

He’s right though Cholula is vastly better

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I love Onions!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

redshirt posted:

Kirkland Golfballs

Please, Mr. Golfballs is my father. Call me Kirk.

Best Costco dessert: key lime pie
Best daily hot sauce (per dollar): Valentina Extra Hot

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Renegret posted:

I mean just show some executive function here. If you're the guest and the pie/cake is uncut, exclaim "oooh that looks good" and obtain the proper cutting tool and cut yourself a slice/piece. Set the tone. If the pieces are already portioned, make an assessment (/old greg) on if there will be enough for everybody if you go for two

Daily hotsauce: Melinda's scotch bonnet

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chinatown posted:

swing and a miss

I stay winning.

They just released 6 new ones. The Chiltepin and Black Marisquera ones are the best

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hammu-rob-i posted:

I mean just show some executive function here. If you're the guest and the pie/cake is uncut, exclaim "oooh that looks good" and obtain the proper cutting tool and cut yourself a slice/piece. Set the tone. If the pieces are already portioned, make an assessment (/old greg) on if there will be enough for everybody if you go for two

Daily hotsauce: Melinda's scotch bonnet

No

I'm loving lazy.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Chinatown posted:

swing and a miss

I stay winning.

The black one is S tier at least

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chinatown posted:

El Yucateco much OP?

Oh are we talking about hot sauce for babies? To put in baby food? For a baby to eat? Then yeah Yucateco is fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At least nobody here has the balls to push Valentina

Edit: Wait, it did loving happen

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

All of these hot sauces are 99% vinegar with the remaining 1% chili or in the case of sriracha, sugar and chili

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just put habanero powder on everything. Stay dry you wet bastards.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

binge crotching posted:

All of these hot sauces are 99% vinegar with the remaining 1% chili or in the case of sriracha, sugar and chili

not these baby

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Oh are we talking about hot sauce for babies? To put in baby food? For a baby to eat? Then yeah Yucateco is fine.

another bad food opinion from bwbd

thow it on tha pile

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My daughter's birthday is coming up. Ordered a cake today. Went with round - the sheet cake is always way too much and I figure I can just grab one of the other premade cakes (bowtie?) to supplement.

However, church was packed with tart assholes and it was not very enjoyable overall.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I saw on an episode of either cooks country or cooking with nick stellino years ago about olive oil that if every square foot of Italy was covered in olives it still wouldn’t make enough olives to produce the annual amount of “Italian” olive oil that is sold. There is a lot of counterfeit product that spoils the entire supply chain since it gets mixed into legit products. Good olive oil should be spicy if you eat a spoonful by itself. California olive oil is great because there isn’t the counterfeiting pressure (yet).

The best way to get good Italian olive oil is to buy Kirkland.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

SirPablo posted:

My daughter's birthday is coming up. Ordered a cake today. Went with round - the sheet cake is always way too much and I figure I can just grab one of the other premade cakes (bowtie?) to supplement.

OK whatever, but how will you be using the cake to manipulate the attendees?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ShowTime posted:

Everyone knows to part way for Costco royalty when those things are coming through. If you look close enough, you'll see little bows of peoples heads, or backwards glances and whispered words of admiration. That person is about to spend some money. Could be a bunch of groceries, could be a new TV, who knows.

at a business center, you'd be mocked if you used a cart instead of the flatbed

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

SirPablo posted:

However, church was packed with tart assholes and it was not very enjoyable overall.

Cut the slices to mismatched sizes and judge your guests.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

At least nobody here has the balls to push Valentina

Edit: Wait, it did loving happen

I said per dollar! It's like 80 cents per pint

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
Costco has a 'gourmet hot sauces around the world' collection. Basically the same garbage with different labels. Only slight taste profile variations and the differing heat levels were practically unnoticeable. Big miss with this one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SirPablo posted:

How much hot sauce?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Crusty Nutsack posted:

They just released 6 new ones. The Chiltepin and Black Marisquera ones are the best

Oh man, I’ll have to look for the new ones. The green habanero is my go-to sauce

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

If it has to announce "Gourmet" on its packaging it usually isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Valentina, you pleb.

yes sir