Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

3/4 of the National party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Solus posted:

Half Sour Cream, Half Butter

Toss in Paprika, Salt, Pepper

ez

Are you putting potatoes in that or...?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
i'm not german, so yes.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

3/4 of the National party
Business potatoes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Distorted Kiwi posted:

This is third unrelated thread I've read today that's had a food derail.

the single easiest way to derail a thread on these awful forums is to offer an opinion on a food - fast food is an easy win, but anything that a lot of posters will be aware of works. it works shockingly well

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

redleader posted:

the single easiest way to derail a thread on these awful forums is to offer an opinion on a food - fast food is an easy win, but anything that a lot of posters will be aware of works. it works shockingly well

So chilli (with beans) on a baked potato, yes or no?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Distorted Kiwi posted:

So chilli (with beans) on a baked potato, yes or no?

would

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I once found my dad had made baked potatoes with mince inside, then made a mashed potato top for it.
He was also eating it with potato wedges.

Man loves him some potato, who am I to judge?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nothing wrong with carbloading every now and then :btroll:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Hey look a new poll! It's can't be as bad as people are making it out to be! Right?...

https://twitter.com/gwynncompton/status/1698765283501166870?s=20

lol

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Roy Morgan is trash that consistently overstates the rights share and acts in particular.

E - I may have gotten my polls confused

Saros fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 5, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
roy morgan is trash but it overestimates the left

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/roy-morgan-poll-most-accurate-on-nz-election-predicting-a-crushing-labour-majority-for-pm-jacinda-ardern

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's going to be a long 6 weeks and then a long 3 9 years.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

It's going to be a long 6 weeks and then a long 3 9 years.

It's only a long time if you survive. ACT's Death to the poors policy may be my salvation!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just learned of zero.govt.nz where a whole lot of websites mainly health as far as I can tell you can browse on mobile and not use any data

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

carrionman posted:

I once found my dad had made baked potatoes with mince inside, then made a mashed potato top for it.
He was also eating it with potato wedges.

Man loves him some potato, who am I to judge?

I saw a social video the other day showing a regional British delicacy that is roughly this but also deep fried, and sometimes you just gotta give credit where its due.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really know a better place to ask this but if anyone knows anything about sky :

My mother has to move out for 5 weeks, and I've arranged an airbnb for her. She has sky and wants to watch the rugby world cup

the airbnb is set up for sky, but the owner is on some kind of deal where she has two decoders in two houses but can only use one at a time (and somehow sky knows)

anyway, does anyone know if it's possible to just move my mums decoder to the new house temporarily? (ie, unplug the owners decoder and plug my mums in) (the lady is paranoid that we'll set off sky that she's using both of her decoders at once, even though all we'd be using is her satellite dish)

what is the account tied to? surely the decoder right? a satellite dish is a passive device without any kind of signature right?

leads me to ask how the decoder knows what kind of account my mum has and what channels she can watch, can the decoder talk back to sky somehow? or is it 100% can only receive data

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 6, 2023

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The new ones do talk back, but first I’ve heard of some weird thing where they can only be used if another isn’t? I’m guessing they’ve got multiroom and are abusing it using it in two different places. Anyway, she can use her decoder there. If they’re the old card ones, she can just swap the card out (but won’t be able to record or anything). Or just use SkyGo (which I understand is probably a barrier to entry to high for a boomer)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

echinopsis posted:

I don't really know a better place to ask this but if anyone knows anything about sky :

My mother has to move out for 5 weeks, and I've arranged an airbnb for her. She has sky and wants to watch the rugby world cup

the airbnb is set up for sky, but the owner is on some kind of deal where she has two decoders in two houses but can only use one at a time (and somehow sky knows)

anyway, does anyone know if it's possible to just move my mums decoder to the new house temporarily? (ie, unplug the owners decoder and plug my mums in) (the lady is paranoid that we'll set off sky that she's using both of her decoders at once, even though all we'd be using is her satellite dish)

what is the account tied to? surely the decoder right? a satellite dish is a passive device without any kind of signature right?

leads me to ask how the decoder knows what kind of account my mum has and what channels she can watch, can the decoder talk back to sky somehow? or is it 100% can only receive data

excuse me this is the food thread, no derails please

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Rabbi T. White posted:

The new ones do talk back, but first I’ve heard of some weird thing where they can only be used if another isn’t? I’m guessing they’ve got multiroom and are abusing it using it in two different places. Anyway, she can use her decoder there. If they’re the old card ones, she can just swap the card out (but won’t be able to record or anything). Or just use SkyGo (which I understand is probably a barrier to entry to high for a boomer)

turns out the lady fundamentally misunderstands how it works and the solution is trivial. just move sky box and it works
(just tried it)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

If the Air BnB has a chromecast it might be easier to show her how to use the Sky Go App and just cast to the tv

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

National Party deputy leader Nicola Willis has admitted case studies in election campaign material, where people commented on how National’s tax policy would affect them, were made up.

:negative:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Somehow need to find a party to the left of the greens

https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz/nz2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How are TOP left anything

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They want to tax capital (urban land tax), cut income tax at the bottom end and increase it at the top end, to drop like $X bn on more state housing (can't remember but it was a big amount), and also a bunch more free poo poo for young people (pt, dental I think?)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah they aren't especially right wing afaik

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Questions like "The government should put more emphasis on adapting to climate change rather than trying to prevent it." are tricky because I agree if only because I want maximum effort in both - there is no reason it has to be a trade off. It's inevitable because bigger countries and decided to make it inevitable. How do I even answer that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

They want to tax capital (urban land tax), cut income tax at the bottom end and increase it at the top end, to drop like $X bn on more state housing (can't remember but it was a big amount), and also a bunch more free poo poo for young people (pt, dental I think?)

Ok, voting TOP now

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they aren't especially right wing afaik

They bill themselves as very centrist. I think economically they want to rebalance the tax system and bring housing costs down. Socially I think they are all over the place.

For instance:
https://twitter.com/lachlanp_/status/1700094508682432860

Varkk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 8, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are the party for IT men who only just missed the boat and aren't rich now

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

Questions like "The government should put more emphasis on adapting to climate change rather than trying to prevent it." are tricky because I agree if only because I want maximum effort in both - there is no reason it has to be a trade off. It's inevitable because bigger countries and decided to make it inevitable. How do I even answer that?

I interpreted that as a National dog whistle to not do any mitigation and focus solely on adaption.
The reality is that mitigation and adaptation are closely linked in many situations eg transport, where current levels of private car use are unsustainable

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

They want to drop like $X bn on more state housing (can't remember but it was a big amount)

they want to cut $3bn from state housing and give it to private chps lol

quote:

Clearing the public housing waiting list via the establishment of a $3 billion development fund for Community Housing Associations

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

they want to cut $3bn from state housing and give it to private chps lol

lol

I'm pretty sure I heard one of their candidates talk about it as an extra investment, not an "instead of" thing but shifting the spend to private NFPs is way more on brand

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
to be fair, their policy doesn't say where the money would come from (because it's literally just a bullet point). i'm assuming the fund would be reallocated from the existing housing budget because their tax proposals don't result in additional revenue.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
The survey also has a question like "should landlords be restricted to raising rent less often" and Im no disagree landlords should be restricted from being landlords but there is no way to express that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, I would agree with a lot of methods of controlling rent but I think making rent increases less often would have little measurable effect past further consolidating rentals into the hands of corporate funds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

The survey also has a question like "should landlords be restricted to raising rent less often" and Im no disagree landlords should be restricted from being landlords but there is no way to express that.

Mass dormitories need to have another Moment

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
So how does this whole Te paati Maori thing about no prison by 2040 work? Do they have an actual plan or is it just empty election time soundbites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Full policy is here. They haven't got a detailed roadmap but looks like they want to start with the recommendations in the Turuki Turuki report and end with with "community based and community led solutions" which is a bit waffle-y but sounds like a full restorative justice approach.