Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol. maybe i should but i've never really personally investigated that stuff because the vibe i get is that i'll mostly find it gross and disagreeable, and generally limiting of what storytelling can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was funny listening to some of that noah caldwell gervais kotor video and half of it being him plainly talking about how much he hates joseph campbell and that he has to educate people about joseph campbell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the star wars eu is huge yeah but. a lot of how the goofier ideas of star wars trickle into the main movies is just... because star wars is a pretty silly series made by a silly man and the modern movies are largely corporate-driven reflections of the cultural idea of star wars. a lot of what defines the original trilogy of star wars positively isn't its deep philosophical or thematic content, it's that the first movie is pretty endearing cheesy fun that's very impressive for how it was put together and the one after it is just, a really well directed movie. and the one after that uhhh, has some fun sequences and a funny bad guy, but it's already where a lot about the series starts feeling more, well, video game-y and it came out years before a lot of those video games did.

I mean I fundamentally disagree with that and it kind of bugs me. Star Wars is goofy and all but that doesn't inherently render everything it says valueless and meaningless. I think it's become that way because of the games (and movies and TV shows and whatever) and it certainly is now a horrible sludge of terrible ideas, but I still find Luke being willing to put down his weapon and trust in his friends and family a lot more compelling and interesting thematically.

Then again I also like Newtype stuff in Gundam and find it more interesting than the WWII military wankery.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

throwing into the New Vegas chat to say NV was def way better than 3 or 4, mostly by way of having actual choices and routes to take, and also with some genuinely good dialogue challenges and pathways depending on your stats. Everyone brings up the Lanius final confrontation but it's really that good of a moment---a boss battle without potentially a single punch thrown. It's a shame the RPG elements of Starfield seem completely muted with the skillset largely being flat number percentage gains, it's more of an adventure game than skillchecks and stat trees.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the kind of storytelling i dont like is more like, Syd Field than Joseph Campbell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

throwing into the New Vegas chat to say NV was def way better than 3 or 4, mostly by way of having actual choices and routes to take, and also with some genuinely good dialogue challenges and pathways depending on your stats. Everyone brings up the Lanius final confrontation but it's really that good of a moment---a boss battle without potentially a single punch thrown. It's a shame the RPG elements of Starfield seem completely muted with the skillset largely being flat number percentage gains, it's more of an adventure game than skillchecks and stat trees.

You absolutely can talk down the final boss in Starfield, I did.

It isn't very engaging because the persuasion system is a loving mess but you can.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i played more summon night 3 and i like that early on in this game you fight a rival gang of pirates who washed up on the island with you and have been stealing food from the villagers, and after that you make them work in the fields to grow food and they turn out to have a deep passion for farming and you can come visit whenever to help them deal with an invasive species of mole by playing whack a mole

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I fundamentally disagree with that and it kind of bugs me. Star Wars is goofy and all but that doesn't inherently render everything it says valueless and meaningless. I think it's become that way because of the games (and movies and TV shows and whatever) and it certainly is now a horrible sludge of terrible ideas, but I still find Luke being willing to put down his weapon and trust in his friends and family a lot more compelling and interesting thematically.

Then again I also like Newtype stuff in Gundam and find it more interesting than the WWII military wankery.

i think newtypes are interesting mostly because tomino's answer to growing disillusioned with the idea of them over time was to make turn-a gundam. after, writing crossbone gundam, where the main character abandoning his newtype powers is coupled with him meeting a monkey that knows how to pilot robots

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

god i can't believe some dude finally unlocked the powerful truth at the center of all stories for the past uhh, let me check, 6000 years ago or so that encompasses every bit of this globe and its thousands and thousands of cultures, and it turns out that it resembles the worldview of a conservative hippie white guy. wow, who would have guessed.

lmao

The Colonel posted:

it was funny listening to some of that noah caldwell gervais kotor video and half of it being him plainly talking about how much he hates joseph campbell and that he has to educate people about joseph campbell

yeah it's wild

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

DLC Inc posted:

Everyone brings up the Lanius final confrontation but it's really that good of a moment---a boss battle without potentially a single punch thrown.

One of my favorite final bosses, easily.

It's full of great lines, too. "Violence gave you that strength, awakened you - I can see it upon your face, where two bullets left their mark."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oblivion should've had a part where you could talk down a boss by doing its insane persuasion minigame and figuring out just the right ratio of admiring/boasting/joking/coercing to get them to give up on trying to kill you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the kind of storytelling i dont like is more like, Syd Field than Joseph Campbell

hero of a thousand faces isn't even that type of book. its about mythology as a whole not a how to guide to writing. its just lucas had some plot structure problems with star wars, picked up a copy hero of a thousand faces and was like "oh i can beat this script into something resembling this." Then you got christopher vogler who began passing out memos at disney explaining the basic structure poo poo from heroes but for idiots and that eventually evolved into the writers journey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

oblivion should've had a part where you could talk down a boss by doing its insane persuasion minigame and figuring out just the right ratio of admiring/boasting/joking/coercing to get them to give up on trying to kill you

That is basically what Starfield is.
You're given a list of basically random dialogue options (sometimes *literally* random) and they are color coded from green (nice) to red (mean) with red giving more points than green and you have to max out your points.

So persuasion usually is like "gently caress YOUR MOTHER GIVE ME THE KEYS" -> "I WILL END YOUR LIFE" -> Hey man, wanna go out for tea?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that mod that replaces all of Witcher 3's combat with Gwent, except for the insane Oblivion persuation minigame

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That is basically what Starfield is.
You're given a list of basically random dialogue options (sometimes *literally* random) and they are color coded from green (nice) to red (mean) with red giving more points than green and you have to max out your points.

So persuasion usually is like "gently caress YOUR MOTHER GIVE ME THE KEYS" -> "I WILL END YOUR LIFE" -> Hey man, wanna go out for tea?"

I can't believe they brought back the dialogue wheel in pog form

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How much of Starfield is handcrafted anyway? Map Genie says there are six key areas, while the rest of the galaxy is No Man Sky fluff but with no vehicles to shorten the commute.

Nobody would have faulted them for making the Outer Worlds with a budget and without the tired humour.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I had always thought that the bulk of the praise for New Vegas came primarily from its DLCs, moreso than the base campaign

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that is the exact opposite of the most widely held views i've ever heard about the game

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The NV DLCs are all fun genre diversions and which is the best/worst episode is an eternal debate but there's no way they're more popular than the base game, yeah. Literally the most famous aspect of New Vegas (the faction system, and the open ended way of resolving the game) is in the original game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You know I never finished FO2. For some reason it didn't hook me like the first one did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

You know I never finished FO2. For some reason it didn't hook me like the first one did.

Aside from the UI and control improvements the game is worse in every way. Especially the writing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the overload of references and jokes got to me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the high points of fallout 2 are a lot cooler than fallout 1 but it's also kind of a nearly incoherent overloaded mess. fallout rides hard off whether it charms you or not and i haven't really been into a lot about it in years so i don't really feel much of an urge to play any of the games anymore

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I remembered I had a Dragon Quest game for DS. Was hoping it was V but it turned out to be VI. I've never been too into DQ in the past, I fell off of VIII sometime after beating Dhoulmagus and fell off of XI in early Act 2, but I'm gonna give this a good go.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
They split the party in Sea of Stars
Sure love to play with characters I've not practiced timing attacks with, it's great!

I feel like Garl's plan makes absolutely no sense, I have no clue whatsoever where he heard of any of this poo poo and why they all go along with it. It's bizarre

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 6, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

okay I have found the one interesting piece of writing in sea of stars and that is the relationship between Re'shan and Aephorul

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Taear posted:

Sure love to play with characters I've not practiced timing attacks with, it's great!

I feel like Garl's plan makes absolutely no sense, I have no clue whatsoever where he heard of any of this poo poo and why they all go along with it. It's bizarre

He gets a legit-rear end prophetic vision as a result of what happens to him and given the setting, nobody is gonna argue with that

In other news, I have figured out a way to get infinite repeatable spa upgrades and so ask me in six weeks what it's like to have 999 stats

It's fun, this game is fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Taear posted:

that segment was definitely not super balanced, the sky dungeon with zale was a rough time and maybe one of the very very very few times i got a game over

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Runa posted:

I did like the duology of KOTOR and KOTOR2 being thematic foils to each other, though it wasn't until Noah Caldwell-Gervais did the homework that very few people bothered to and actually read Hero of a Thousand Faces that I actually learned just how much of Star Wars was just cribbing Joseph Campbell's notes.
Well, I mean, all stories do, maaan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think they do. there are after all, several stories in which a woman is the protagonist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are also several stories where the hero already exists in some sort of supernatural or elevated state from the start. including a lot of mythology.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ace Transmuter posted:

I had always thought that the bulk of the praise for New Vegas came primarily from its DLCs, moreso than the base campaign

Like two years ago I did a full replay of NV to refresh myself on it and also to finally play the DLC, since I never had before. I pretty much loathed all of the DLC for various reasons - Honest Hearts was like two hours of content and one halfway compelling character spread over like six hours of excruciatingly boring gameplay of going through samey caves, Old World Blues turns the "wacky slapstick" dial so far to the maximum that it breaks off and becomes deeply tiresome and unfunny while also being extremely long and having nothing but bullet sponge enemies that run at you at mach 30, Dead Money tries to shoehorn a very bad survival horror game into NV that feels like poo poo to me for numerous reasons(though I'll admit that the dialogue was mostly good), and Lonesome Road is several hours of Chris Avellone personally monologuing at you.

The main campaign is still alright.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I never really liked New Vegas or understood why it stood out against all the other cookie cutter Bethesda games but then again I spent my entire playthrough farting around the map and by the time I actually got to the titular New Vegas I was at max level and completely lost interest since i had no more character progression

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/RoDoddler/status/1699249739290862009

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's honestly impressive, because like half the game's content is in and around the Strip to the point where I feel like you'd need to consciously avoid it to level up that much without going there.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

If this was before any DLC that's even more astounding

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Kanos posted:

That's honestly impressive, because like half the game's content is in and around the Strip to the point where I feel like you'd need to consciously avoid it to level up that much without going there.

I mean yeah I was avoiding it. My MO in those types of games (or in most games really) is to do as much side content available as possible before continuing the main quest. I hadn't counted on coming up against a level cap that would kill all motivation to keep playing tho

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

If this was before any DLC that's even more astounding

I played it on ps3 so no dlc lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

fridge corn posted:

I mean yeah I was avoiding it. My MO in those types of games (or in most games really) is to do as much side content available as possible before continuing the main quest. I hadn't counted on coming up against a level cap that would kill all motivation to keep playing tho

i mean i can see why it wouldn't stand out if you literally never even began the proper main quest progression

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Most of the interesting writing in NV is part of the main quest; it's not like Skyrim where the main quest is a very standard "beat bad dragon" plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i tried out starfield. got bored in the tutorial. thats the end of my starfield story