Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Shame that playing skyrim and then fallout 4 (and the outer worlds) killed my motivation to ever play a bethesda game ever again so I'll probably never get to experience new Vegas properly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Glad I'm not doing something wrong in Sea of Stars. I wiped twice to a four zombie fight--way harder than any boss so far--until I changed up strategies and used Lunar Shield or whatever to help one of the team survive a round (it really feels like they are programmed to hit the person with the lowest HP).

I don't mind having infrequent but difficult encounters, as I find it a bit more entertaining than stomping every single random encounter by mashing attack, but some of these random battles just feel randomly put together, rather than planned, if that makes sense. I thought the text claiming that timed hits and blocks don't actually matter was bullshit, but after playing for a while, it feels like an outright lie.

Anyway, I'll probably beat it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Shame that playing skyrim and then fallout 4 (and the outer worlds) killed my motivation to ever play a bethesda game ever again so I'll probably never get to experience new Vegas properly lol

Obsidian did a remarkable job making a same engine sequel to Fallout 3 feel almost nothing like a Bethesda game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only other thing that sticks in my mind about New Vegas is that I once worked with a girl who had a big line of sanskrit text tattooed all down her spine and when I asked what it said she quoted the thing that the burned man says about the flames making him stronger or whatever and I said lol that's from a video game and lol why is it written in sanskrit

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

fridge corn posted:

The only other thing that sticks in my mind about New Vegas is that I once worked with a girl who had a big line of sanskrit text tattooed all down her spine and when I asked what it said she quoted the thing that the burned man says about the flames making him stronger or whatever and I said lol that's from a video game and lol why is it written in sanskrit

yeah that specific quote spread a lot in religous jesusy online circles from people who dont know the origin

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I see it constantly on bad tattoo compilations and it makes me laugh a lot every single time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Stexils posted:

yeah that specific quote spread a lot in religous jesusy online circles from people who dont know the origin

It was also really big with firefighters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remembering when right wing guys started spreading around a line from a warhammer x avatar fanfic

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

talking with people there are a couple reasons I think NV gets considered a queer game and most of them have to do with role play, like in the sense of imagining living as a particular character in the world

- you get shot in the head and a doctor patches you up with the implication that it's possible you could be different than when you dropped into the grave. some have told me this premise gives a lot of narrative leeway for role playing as trans.

- there were new perks added for NV that explicitly, mechanically supported role playing as a gay, lesbian, or bisexual courier, interacting with the world in more ways than just forming relationships with companions, at a time where this was still kinda rare.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
again my personal disconnect here is that i think the way new vegas writes all its lesbian characters and interactions is intensely fail. in a vacuum as like your first experience with that kinda thing i guess i can see it but i really feel none of it myself

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

For the record what I meant by 'queer memes' is the insanely tiresome stuff about how playing new vegas makes you trans.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I decided to use one of the relics in Sea of Stars. It's not that the game is hard without them, it's just more tedious since you have to use more MP on healing and less on aoe spells. I initially liked the combat but it does very little to keep things from getting very repetitive.

I've slightly warmed to the game overall. I still don't really think it's particularly good, but the art has kept me interested and the plot has become slightly more engaging as the game's gone on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i consider new vegas a queer game... i find it queer that people like it so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

again my personal disconnect here is that i think the way new vegas writes all its lesbian characters and interactions is intensely fail. in a vacuum as like your first experience with that kinda thing i guess i can see it but i really feel none of it myself
remembering the rock paper shotgun article that was a giant weepy essay about how the random lesbian bit in fallout 2 awoke them to lesbianism and i was like 'this is really embarrassing but i guess it is from the 90s, good for you lady' and it ended with the writer clarifying that they were a straight man but considered themselves an ally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway in 2007 i saw the soul nomad official art where the female protag is giving the dancer girl an oil massage. apologies to everyone who received the much inferior representation found in new vegas. some people were just born in regressive places i guess

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah i think of it kinda in the same way as legend of korra. i respect what it was trying but feel like it stopped short of actually doing it well

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyways I think it's fine if someone on an individual level has a special place in their heart with X or Y game or show or w/e cuz it helped them awaken as trans or gay or whatever...I just find it odd to assign universal experiences/importance to an extremely mainstream popular thing as ACTUALLY being about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

yeah i think of it kinda in the same way as legend of korra. i respect what it was trying but feel like it stopped short of actually doing it well
tbf in korra's case they were basically banished to the phantom zone for vaguely mentioning they were considering it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah idk something like korra's in a weird spot where it's not like i can blame the show staff for management coming down hard on them for having an idea. with new vegas i just feel like, they did not know how to write some of the things they were touching on and did a really clumsy and annoying job with it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

oh yeah i wasn't trying to draw a direct comparison or anything so much as explain how i feel about it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My prevailing memory of New Vegas is playing it at launch on 360 and getting hit by a bug that made it so I couldn't play the game for months until they patched it (unless I started over). People talk a lot of poo poo about F3's bugs, and Bethesda in general (for good reason), but I think it's funny how often Obsidian gets credit for the sequel being better about that when it's the most broken one I played, and also the one when I realized Bethesda makes one game. Granted F3 was the first of their games I played, but still.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zoomer trans memes are the worst

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
new vegas was better about it, post-patches. i dont think anyone was praising the game for being bug-free on release, it was in fact the most criticized part of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you know i think what sticks out weirdest about starfield to me is how laborious the lockpicking minigame is. like it's not hard or anything but it's weird that every single lock you pick just makes you pause for like 30 seconds to play a full puzzle game level, i actually kinda prefer it when the minigame is mildly annoying but guaranteed to only take a few seconds

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

new vegas was a mess on release but it got a ton of patch support in a way bethesda games rarely do, I think that is kind of an important sticking point with people that separates the two

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

True pro gamers install mods to auto clear the lovely lockpicking minigames

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On mouse and keyboard, it doesn’t actually tell you how to turn the digipicks in the minigame, and it took me quite a while to stumble into the mouse wheel.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Meowywitch posted:

True pro gamers install mods to auto clear the lovely lockpicking minigames

Does it just skip the mini-game or solve it really fast automatically? Because the latter would be cooler.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

you know i think what sticks out weirdest about starfield to me is how laborious the lockpicking minigame is. like it's not hard or anything but it's weird that every single lock you pick just makes you pause for like 30 seconds to play a full puzzle game level, i actually kinda prefer it when the minigame is mildly annoying but guaranteed to only take a few seconds

You would hate the Starfield one. God I wish Starfield had the old-school locking minigame instead of the new one which is boring and yet takes twice as long.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

FireWorksWell posted:

It was also really big with firefighters

I think firefighters get a pass on that quote, considering their profession

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ImpAtom posted:

You would hate the Starfield one. God I wish Starfield had the old-school locking minigame instead of the new one which is boring and yet takes twice as long.

good reading skills btw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goblin week posted:

good reading skills btw

What are you talking about, my leading pills am fantastic?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

remembering when right wing guys started spreading around a line from a warhammer x avatar fanfic

Explain, please? I really, really do not want to try searching that up myself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Having Security 2 in Starfield makes the lock blue if your currently selected ring can be slotted. It really speeds up the easier locks and prevents the most advanced ones from becoming 15 minute puzzles (but they still might take a while).

The lock changes when you quit out without completing it, so there's a RNG element to it too. Even one with 5 layers can be quite straight-forward or just really prone to mistakes based on what you're getting.

So yeah, I see the mod to skip them becoming real popular.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alpha Protocol's lockpicking minigame with a controller is the best lockpicking minigame I've played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disposablewords posted:

Explain, please? I really, really do not want to try searching that up myself.
there was an avatar (to be clear blue elves not airbender) x warhammer fanfic. it was about the warhammer empire (space nazis) coming to invade and industrialize the blue space elf planet. they fought a bunch. one of the warhammer imperials gave a big speech about how the blue elves had no culture and were simply resisting out of fear and they were the actual xenophobes and they were being elevated yadayadayada. this excerpt somehow got spread around to rightwing circles and they proceeded to post it a bunch about how actually america's founding wasn't racist.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I like the Starfield lockpicking game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is there a lockpicking minigame that takes advantage of the haptic stuff on PS5 because that'd be really neat being able to 'feel' the correct position rather than tapping a button and having the lockpick snap in half instantly.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

there was an avatar (to be clear blue elves not airbender) x warhammer fanfic. it was about the warhammer empire (space nazis) coming to invade and industrialize the blue space elf planet. they fought a bunch. one of the warhammer imperials gave a big speech about how the blue elves had no culture and were simply resisting out of fear and they were the actual xenophobes and they were being elevated yadayadayada. this excerpt somehow got spread around to rightwing circles and they proceeded to post it a bunch about how actually america's founding wasn't racist.

God drat. It's somehow dumber even than the people who unironically spread some of the propaganda from Columbia in Bioshock: Infinite around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Lockpicking and hacking minigames have become a giant pet peeve of mine because even if they're amusing or interesting the first couple of times you do them(which is exceedingly rare), they inevitably become boring garbage chores that you have to do ten billion times over the course of a playthrough.