Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

euphronius posted:

not for pslf

I think for “regular” forgiveness yes. which is really sick because the forgiveness might be mostly accrued interest !!!
The SAVE program forgives interest in excess of your payments, so interest won't accrue. As long as you make the payments the loan balance can at worst stay the same.

Still hosed up though because over 20 years you'll have paid tens of thousands back to the DoE but since it's all interest you still take the full tax hit on your original principal amount when it's forgiven and then you end up in another payment plan to the IRS, with interest. But at least tax debt can get wiped in bankruptcy so there's always that option at the age of 45 I guess.

This could be avoided if the government would at least not charge people interest on education loans but gotta monetize the rot I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Why would dentists give out free toothpastes? That would only means they'll have less returning customers, thus less money for them

C'mon think a little bit man

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

George H.W. oval office posted:

the play is to get toothpaste from your dentist. just say hey doc load me up! when you get your little baggie. I have a dozen or so toothbrushes I used for travel and cleaning because they just throw them at you.

but also lol goons going to the dentist.

I go when I can afford to...

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://x.com/rcbregman/status/1699406128902447476?s=46

wow who could’ve guessed that giving people more money would solve a lot of money-related issues?

https://x.com/rcbregman/status/1699406134535487739?s=46

I don’t know how it is in Canada, but I know in America, they aren’t going to just give out money to people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Student Loan Forgiveness Starts October 2022

lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Dentistry as well as optical in the US is in this weird loving spot where it's necessary medical care but it's treated like some kinda luxury plastic surgery or something outside of common medical care

Why it's not wrapped into medical insurance like the rest of the upkeep on our decrepit physical forms is beyond me

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Still hosed up though because over 20 years you'll have paid tens of thousands back to the DoE but since it's all interest you still take the full tax hit on your original principal amount when it's forgiven and then you end up in another payment plan to the IRS, with interest.

Lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

The SAVE program forgives interest in excess of your payments, so interest won't accrue. As long as you make the payments the loan balance can at worst stay the same.

Still hosed up though because over 20 years you'll have paid tens of thousands back to the DoE but since it's all interest you still take the full tax hit on your original principal amount when it's forgiven and then you end up in another payment plan to the IRS, with interest. But at least tax debt can get wiped in bankruptcy so there's always that option at the age of 45 I guess.

This could be avoided if the government would at least not charge people interest on education loans but gotta monetize the rot I guess.

yeah it’s garbage

I have to hope tho this will not be the status quo and things will change for the better . 25 years is a long time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dentistry as well as optical in the US is in this weird loving spot where it's necessary medical care but it's treated like some kinda luxury plastic surgery or something outside of common medical care

Why it's not wrapped into medical insurance like the rest of the upkeep on our decrepit physical forms is beyond me

the american dental assn killed that medicare-expansion proposal to cover dental so swiftly & fully that no dem has even mentioned it since 2021.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

theCalamity posted:

wow who could’ve guessed that giving people more money would solve a lot of money-related issues?

I don’t know how it is in Canada, but I know in America, they aren’t going to just give out money to people

We would positively save more money if we housed and fed the poor than we spend on policing and half measures like shelters. None of it will ever actually happen because the mentality of this shithole is "The needs of the few parasite billionaires outweigh the needs of the many".

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

theCalamity posted:

america LOVES giving money to people. just not poor people

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

euphronius posted:

yeah it’s garbage

I have to hope tho this will not be the status quo and things will change for the better . 25 years is a long time

I think it's what they want the status quo to be. I keep on getting poo poo ton of offers to refinance my car loans and the frequency has been increasing lately. They always say that they can refinance it to save me more than 300$ monthly but I got a 1.19 apr while the new loan will be at 8.75 apr and it'll tack on several years to the loan.

I think they know that nobody can afford a high monthly payment anymore so they're just encouraging people to look at the low low monthly payments while locking them all in decades (or longer) with high interests

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

to be clear my hope is imminent communist takeover (peaceful)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

euphronius posted:

From your lips to Lenin’s ears

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nothus posted:

I bought a 5-pack of toothpaste from Costco five months ago at 5.8 oz per tube. I just bought another 5-pack of the same brand at 5.2 oz per tube and it cost more.

I swear the toothpaste shtinkflation has been going on for like a decade now

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would simply grow another set of teeth

stunning. brave.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

euphronius posted:

euphronius i love your posting these days it is very excellent

you have truly found your voice in the medium

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

blatman posted:

my grocery bill has largely stayed the same but the actual groceries purchased have been gradually becoming more and more depressing

a nice splurge before was like "we're havin' steaks" and now it's "i got a few cans of the nice chickpeas" lmao

Same, grocery bill for a fam of 4 (incl a preteen who eats as much as two grown men) is $900/mo CAD in BC and has been the same for 4 years or so.

However, we are basically vegetarian at this point. Any meat is like 100 or 200g of sausage to spice up pasta or beans n rice and a lot of potatoes and yams. Protein is eggs, tofu, lentils, sardines, beans, barley, etc. We also eat a lot of soups with homemade bread and veggie curries. Even having chicken is a bit of a treat these days whereas pre COVID we had it a few times a week. Same with out of season fruit.

It's kinda funny tho because in the winter my kids will be counting down the days until strawberries are in season which is something I didn't really have a concept of at that age.

Tbh the whole food inflation thing is a bummer, nothing to do but make the best of it.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Griz posted:

store wanted 3 bucks for a goddamn tomato

got 2 cans of rotel instead for cheaper

Rotel is part of the holy Trinity with beans n rice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Trader Joe's and Costco are the two stores on the weekly grocery store trips. Trader Joe's is still fairly cheep compared to the rest.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Willa Rogers posted:

the american dental assn killed that medicare-expansion proposal to cover dental so swiftly & fully that no dem has even mentioned it since 2021.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dentists-group-fights-plan-to-cover-dental-benefits-under-medicare-11632735002 posted:

The ADA contends that Medicare won’t reimburse enough to cover their costs and is pushing an alternative plan that would limit benefits to the poorest Medicare recipients. It is asking members to contact lawmakers in opposition.

“There aren’t endless amounts of federal dollars, so the question is how do you maximize dollars to do the most good?” said Michael Graham, the ADA’s senior vice president for government and public affairs. “If you don’t focus on low-income seniors, you are just wasting your money.”

The ADA is one of Washington’s most powerful health professional organizations, doling out more in campaign contributions last year than even the political-action committee for the American Medical Association, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. The ADA’s $2.3 million in lobbying expenditures was more than every other dental group combined.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
There’s a good Netflix documentary on centenarian communities around the world and what they eat/how they live. They are mostly plant based diets (95%) and no processed garbage. Some of them drink wine too as part of their diet and most of their protein is from beans, nuts, etc not meat.

Honestly it’s not a bad diet, you definitely feel better without meat.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

"“There aren’t endless amounts of federal dollars,"

:thunk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m ready to go to vegetarian once a day diet . we will see if I live to 100

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The endless federal dollars are already earmarked for rich people handouts and fighter jets no one asked for

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

There’s a good Netflix documentary on centenarian communities around the world and what they eat/how they live. They are mostly plant based diets (95%) and no processed garbage. Some of them drink wine too as part of their diet and most of their protein is from beans, nuts, etc not meat.

Yeah but then I'd live to be a 100 and that's unacceptable!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FlapYoJacks posted:

Trader Joe's and Costco are the two stores on the weekly grocery store trips. Trader Joe's is still fairly cheep compared to the rest.

Costco definitely hurts for baby stuff: Two boxes of diapers, a box of wipes, and the 2-pack of Enfamil sets me back $170 before tax. And I need the Enfamil pack twice a month. :(

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

NeonPunk posted:

Why would dentists give out free toothpastes? That would only means they'll have less returning customers, thus less money for them

C'mon think a little bit man

The dentist's favorite patient is the one that maintains good oral health. Quick look and polish, then charge the insurance 500$ and take what they pay.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't people still owe the tax bill on the amount forgiven at the point that it gets forgiven? Isn't that an extra five figure kicker balloon payment at the end?

Then when you can't pay it you start paying interest to the IRS.

There is no way this demon cracker rentier state is going to let you exist without paying interest to someone.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully my wonderful teeth just keep growing so I can continue gnawing at wood, drywall, and the many fibrous plants I use to make my nest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think my dentist died years ago and the office is being run by an autonomous dental hygienist collective

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Bread: 3 times the price
Circuses: 2 times the price
Rent/kid rent/skill rent: lol at lmao% interest for 30 years.

Very sustainable system, it'll go on forever and ever. This is an official CSPAM doomsday thread prediction: Nobody will make a dent in cybernetic capitalism or constitutional oligarchy and it will never collapse. The system is dancing and says it will never die. The end of history where everyone is enslaved to these interlocking systems of debt peonage and they all love it and want to kill anyone who speaks against it.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

skooma512 posted:

Very sustainable system, it'll go on forever and ever. This is an official CSPAM doomsday thread prediction: Nobody will make a dent in cybernetic capitalism or constitutional oligarchy and it will never collapse. The system is dancing and says it will never die. The end of history where everyone is enslaved to these interlocking systems of debt peonage and they all love it and want to kill anyone who speaks against it.

Just never go to the jakes and it will all be fine

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The food budget gets really painful when you have a family with multiple dietary restrictions such as celiac disease and dairy allergies.

A gluten free loaf of bread, which is also smaller than a normal loaf, costs $10 for a bag of two at Costco. At a regular store they're $8 a pop. Gluten free pasta also costs at least $1 more a box as well if not more.

It at least prevents me from spending a dime in restaurants.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I think my dentist died years ago and the office is being run by an autonomous dental hygienist collective

This would be ideal until you need a root canal.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

skooma512 posted:

I always liked the book title Alexei Yurchak used for writing about the generation that saw the end of the USSR: “everything was forever, until it was no more”.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

MIDDLESEX TOWNSHIP, Pa. — A man who died at a Butler County business Tuesday afternoon has been identified.

Joseph Reyes, 46, from Butler, died at Vorteq Coil Finishers in Middlesex Township around 3:30 p.m.

The Butler County Coroner’s Office said the death was accidental and the cause was traumatic asphyxiation.

Vorteq is a coating service company, according to their website.

No other information was available.

that's one hell of a way to say "a negligent employer killed a worker"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

I dont call that living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

america LOVES giving money to people. just not poor people

sometimes they do! but usually only as part of a sadistic gameshow