Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Party Members Nobody Used:

Jacob, Mass Effect. Cheats on a romanced Shepard between games. Painfully bland aside from memetic phrase. Not an alien or a robot.

Haru, Persona 5. Introduced after most of the party bonding scenes, and gets little to no development.

Vincent, Final Fantasy VII. Has only two dedicated cutscenes, as most of his story was left on the cutting room floor. Limit Break renders him useless. Necrophiliac and middle-aged goth.

Robb and Egil, Chained Echoes. Robb is a deliberate copy of Argath, the snotty guy from Tactics. None of his skills can hit multiple enemies. Egil is supposed to be a tank, but he shows up at the two-thirds mark, too late to introduce any change to the player's arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I first played FF7 as a moody preteen. I absolutely used Vincent

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Crowetron posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used Vincent and Caith sith for basically the entire game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
YO! Sea of Stars has a 'true end' that requires you to do a bunch of sidequests! I thought it was pretty rad because I think that getting Garl back was it's own reward but I figured I should let you all know about it!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I used Egil in Chained Echoes because he was a fat bird

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i used Vincent for the same reason i used Sprigg in Chrono Cross: turning into monsters is cool as hell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jacob, Mass Effect. Cheats on a romanced Shepard between games. Painfully bland aside from memetic phrase. Not an alien or a robot.

Haru, Persona 5. Introduced after most of the party bonding scenes, and gets little to no development.

Vincent, Final Fantasy VII. Has only two dedicated cutscenes, as most of his story was left on the cutting room floor. Limit Break renders him useless. Necrophiliac and middle-aged goth.

Robb and Egil, Chained Echoes. Robb is a deliberate copy of Argath, the snotty guy from Tactics. None of his skills can hit multiple enemies. Egil is supposed to be a tank, but he shows up at the two-thirds mark, too late to introduce any change to the player's arsenal.

I used Haru in my party nonstop once I got her and lol if you think every single kid in the 90s didn't slampick Gun Vampire Monster Man into their party in FF7 the moment they got him.

I used Robb a fair bit too. I tried Egil but by that point I had a party I enjoyed.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my first final FF7 party was Cloud, Cid, and Vincent

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Egil is just there for if for some reason you don't want to use the incredibly powerful lesbian samurai thief dodge tank, possibly because you're a bad person.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Haru was a beast with her Gun potential.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I used Haru cause she looks cool and has a cute hairstyle.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got to the General X rematch in Temtem and I think I need to take a break lol. He is kicking my drat rear end and I gotta grind up some better terms I guess.

He totally input reads with the swaps which sucks too...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Alpha Protocol's lockpicking minigame with a controller is the best lockpicking minigame I've played.

All the access minigames on keyboard are godawful to make up for it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The best part about Vincent is when you fight the first boss after you get him and you're like aw yea time to limit break and then it absorbs most of his damage and you can't control him anymore

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

I used Haru, she rules in P5R

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haru has a grenade launcher and an axe. She was an instant recruit in the party and never left, be it P5 or P5R.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Crowetron posted:

i first played ff7 as an adult like four years ago and i used vincent

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Telingly, nobody can defend Jacob.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Okage Shadow King has the problem of recruiting your final party member before the final dungeon. Also he's the resident thief character, so he sucks in combat but can steal items from enemies.

Needless to say I didn't use him very much, as it would mean dropping Rosalyn or Big Bull

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Telingly, nobody can defend Jacob.

Jacob was just too many strikes for me. Dude's questline being Welcome To Rape Planet, Population: My Dad was bad enough

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Jacob is also really boring mechanically and because of how ME2 handles difficulty his powerset is largely useless on the higher levels.

He also suffers a ton from having been a bland main character himself in the little mobile bridge game between ME1 and 2 where he got like an actual arc and has settled into stasis by the time ME2 starts.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

Jacob was just too many strikes for me. Dude's questline being Welcome To Rape Planet, Population: My Dad was bad enough

Yeah... I took that Kanye-looking mother fucker to find his dad and I was not expecting what we got out of that

His Dad being Rape King was awful enough, but Jacob's reaction wasn't so much horror and anger but just... oddly petulance like "you left me and my mom, I hate you dad!!!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There should have been a volus party members called Racto St'eve who tells you, 'No, I don't have any personal baggage to sort out. I'm a hired professional. wheeze'

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I tried actually using Jacob last time I played ME2 and benched him pretty quickly since I was on one of the higher difficulties and he was kind of useless. Then outside of combat he's incredibly boring and his personal quest led to a really gross reveal that he didn't actually seem to care about outside of "you left me".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haru gets little development, unlike the other p5 party members who get development like [SCENE MISSING]

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

haru gets little development, unlike the other p5 party members who get development like [SCENE MISSING]

Hey Akechi and Kasumi get some okay writing. You know, in the one version that's largely as segmented off from the other writing as possible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Haru was good in strikers

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Haru was good in strikers

Everyone was good in Strikers, tbh

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I could probably write an entire research paper on P5's shortcomings but one of them was really highlighted in Strikers too - this group of teenage criminals-who-don't-do-anything has no friction whatsoever so they're really boring as a unit.

seriously, all those teenage outcasts are so well-adjusted it freaks me out. just totally unbelievable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's been the case since persona 4 but i feel like persona 4's atmosphere was such that people were more willing to just get lost in that and not really pay attention to little things like, nobody really being much of a person so much as the vague idea of a person the writer heard about second hand once

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I could probably write an entire research paper on P5's shortcomings but one of them was really highlighted in Strikers too - this group of teenage criminals-who-don't-do-anything has no friction whatsoever so they're really boring as a unit.

seriously, all those teenage outcasts are so well-adjusted it freaks me out. just totally unbelievable.
the average group of characters in idol gacha games has more friction its crazy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ryuji and makoto have funny arguments in makoto's intro dungeon but unfortunately makoto accidentally fell into a personality eraser machine on her way out of her intro dungeon

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji is cool

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The 7th Guest posted:

that segment was definitely not super balanced, the sky dungeon with zale was a rough time and maybe one of the very very very few times i got a game over

It's funny that all of my game overs come in normal fights.
Then it moves you back to the save point in that area and you're full health and can USUALLY beat the fight.

The Colonel posted:

it's been the case since persona 4 but i feel like persona 4's atmosphere was such that people were more willing to just get lost in that and not really pay attention to little things like, nobody really being much of a person so much as the vague idea of a person the writer heard about second hand once

Man Persona 4 is one of the few jrpgs I've played where I feel properly disgusted by what it's actively saying to me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i cant really get mad at persona 4 anymore because on a fundamental level it mostly just feels like a game that does not think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only thing persona 4 manages to actively say is 'no fat chicks' yeah

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mystery Solving Teens deserves better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post