Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

tried reading some of the chapters from the anime ended, and a lot of it sort of feels important at the time (like Itagaki, Broccoliman, Ippos title fights post-Sawamura), but like..most of it peters out into nothing. Sort of feels like not a whole lot would've been lost from Ippo himself if he'd gone straight to Wally->Gonzales. Maybe keep the Kojima fight?

Would need to include Miyata vs Randy Boy Jr as well.

But it feels like most of the stuff Takamura, Aoki and Kimura do in that period also amounts to pretty much nothing. Takamura doesn't even have a new title fight until after Ippo retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want Ippo to get back in the ring and vaporize someone so bad

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

tried reading some of the chapters from the anime ended, and a lot of it sort of feels important at the time (like Itagaki, Broccoliman, Ippos title fights post-Sawamura), but like..most of it peters out into nothing. Sort of feels like not a whole lot would've been lost from Ippo himself if he'd gone straight to Wally->Gonzales. Maybe keep the Kojima fight?

But it feels like most of the stuff Takamura, Aoki and Kimura do in that period also amounts to pretty much nothing. Takamura doesn't even have a new title fight until after Ippo retires.

You can skip most everything that occurred in the OBPF for Ippo. The manga spun its wheels for so long during that period with filler fights that mean nothing and go nowhere , you’d honestly just be better going straight to when Volg gets his world title match

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Asuron posted:

You can skip most everything that occurred in the OBPF for Ippo. The manga spun its wheels for so long during that period with filler fights that mean nothing and go nowhere , you’d honestly just be better going straight to when Volg gets his world title match

the randy boy jr. arc and Itagakis road to the rookie finals (and losing) would probably the only thing that needs adapted from that period. Then you can go straight to Volg

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the most "important" thing from the OPBF fights is ippo's regression i guess. it's a genuine plot point that he just doesn't fight to a high standard after the miyata cancellation, and while mori goes through some effort to make the opponents seem Good, i do think we're supposed to come away wondering why tf ippo is struggling so outrageously with fighters he should be a tier beyond

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
it's a meta-commentary about making it in your chosen profession, lets say like uhh.. writing a long lived and well loved manga series, and floundering without direction after losing your original drive that made you so great in the beginning.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lamebot posted:

it's a meta-commentary about making it in your chosen profession, lets say like uhh.. writing a long lived and well loved manga series, and floundering without direction after losing your original drive that made you so great in the beginning.

Are you saying that Morikawa is drawing with his left hand now? (Actually, he draws a chapter and then draws it 100 times again for practice)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

"Randy Boy Jr" lol I can never get over this, it's such a funny name

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

"Randy Boy Jr" lol I can never get over this, it's such a funny name

It's the Jr that makes it.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Takes No Damage posted:

It's the Jr that makes it.

Presumably there's also a Randy Boy III through IX at least if Randy Boy Sr. lived up to his name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larry Cum Free posted:

Presumably there's also a Randy Boy III through IX at least if Randy Boy Sr. lived up to his name.

Well Randy Boy Sr went by the name Racoon Boy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Randy Boy Sr went by the name Racoon Boy.

No loving way

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ccubed posted:

There are so many great, dynamic panels in this chapter.

It was very fun to go through this chapter

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Takamaura still giving the best advice to ippo. That was a very fun chapter to read.

He's totally still not getting back in the ring :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shindragon posted:

Takamaura still giving the best advice to ippo. That was a very fun chapter to read.

He's totally still not getting back in the ring :v:

It's made it looks like his objection was going to be that he's retired, but I honestly think he might have forgotten he's no longer active.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

He's doing it all for Kumi no doubt.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He's doing it so he can "help" Majima just like he did Vorg.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the mad dog of shimano doesn't need help from a wimp like ippo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

He's doing it so he can "help" Majima just like he did Vorg.

Expecting his 'boxing sense' to move forward quite a bit during the spars, because you KNOW Mashiba won't have any issues going at him 100% right from the start.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 hours!)

how many days and nights has ippo been training southpaw during this montage?

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
I was hoping to see the sign that says "No pounding logs in the riverbank"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GateOfD posted:

how many days and nights has ippo been training southpaw during this montage?

This sounds awesome. I gotta catch up.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I imagine they removed the original log and ippo just pounded in a new one for his training.

Maintenance guy comes around and goes “godamnit, those pranksters are at it again”

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/hajimenoippo/comments/16gtz70/no_chapter_this_week/

There's no chapter this week, apparently Morikawa had Covid. Seems to be doing better according to his twitter. I really hope that's the case.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

https://mangadex.org/chapter/935c55a6-59ef-454a-9de2-92247619907e

fireworks factory, fireworks factory

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
okay, a new chapter is one thing, but, also

HOLY poo poo IT'S OUT OFFICIALLY IN ENGLISH, AS A SURPRISE
https://twitter.com/kmanga_kodansha/status/1706685060781412852

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Cool that it’s getting an official English release. Sucks that it’s through that service though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ippo getting to the humble brag territory.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Wow didn’t know it never had a domestic release
But doesn’t count if it’s not physical

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

GateOfD posted:

But doesn’t count if it’s not physical

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh man, this sparring match is gonna kick rear end, can't wait for everyone's reaction when he's fighting southpaw and pushing mashiba back hard.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Think there will be at least one chapter with him getting his rear end beat from nerves and trying to fight left handed or will he take the weights off and automatically go SSJ2?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

or he beats mashiba up, and then exits and everyone realizes he still has his weights on

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
We see how hyper focused Ippo got with Volf, I kind of expect something similar with how much Ippo was trying to learn how to bob and weave in south paw position.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He’s gonna break Mashiba’s arm again

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

GateOfD posted:

or he beats mashiba up, and then exits and everyone realizes he still has his weights on

Has the manga ever said how much they actually weight, or if Ippo increases them from time to time?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm the coach whose hands are shaking in excitement at the prospect of some guy just destroying my fighter before his big match

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Scallop Eyes posted:

Has the manga ever said how much they actually weight, or if Ippo increases them from time to time?

even if they've told me they simply weigh Anime Weight to me

if he drops them from high enough then aoki will fall over

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scallop Eyes posted:

I vaguely remember someone picking them up once and being surprised at how heavy they were, but that could also be bleedover from some other anime weight training thing. Something slightly more subtle than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKda4d9pKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no i think I remember that too