Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Soap Scum posted:

also note that a somewhat common Thread Trick is to buy a filter from target/etc., remove the packaging / plastic on the filter (don't forget that part lol), use it for a night or two, pack up like new and return. worth considering if you want a little extra firepower for the time being

this seems like a real lovely thing to do if you are taking that into a home with a known covid infection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

fosborb posted:

this seems like a real lovely thing to do if you are taking that into a home with a known covid infection

no you just put it in the oven before you return it

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I started taking Pax yesterday when I tested positive and feel ok but my wife had to wait until today to get one of her medications out of her system and my god does she sound rough. I hope the Pax helps her as much as it seems like its been helping me. Got her loaded up on tylenol and sudafed for the time being.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Soap Scum posted:

no you just put it in the oven before you return it

it’s a filter not a pizza box!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also if you pull out in under 2 minutes of ejaculating inside your partner's vagina, she definitely won't get pregnant.

good joke but economists are already building the case against free condoms because just telling people not to gently caress is a cheaper way to prevent STIs and teen pregnancy

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

nexous posted:

it’s a filter not a pizza box!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shoot wait okay let me rethink this

fr though, the virus dies after 72 hours on basically any surface. if you're concerned about that vector, pack it and isolate it for 5 days to be super safe before you return.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Soap Scum posted:

fr though, the virus dies after 72 hours on basically any surface. if you're concerned about that vector, pack it and isolate it for 5 days to be super safe before you return.

there was some esoteric studies back in the day about the force required to reaerosolize captured virus from a filter surface and it's like you have to have a tornado hit it so

if you feel bad, chuck it in a box and wait.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This Sure Is A Wave. Lots of people I know who have not thought about covid for years, getting sick! Many such cases indeed.

edit: completely unrelated: my wife had 'allergies' on Monday evening and tested negative. Negative Tuesday morning too, and Tuesday evening she started coughing. Negative this morning but she's getting more sick.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The Oldest Man posted:

good joke but economists are already building the case against free condoms because just telling people not to gently caress is a cheaper way to prevent STIs and teen pregnancy

Hardworking economists try to save the country by driving up birthrates to drive down worker bargaining power and all you can do is criticize. For shame, sir.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there was some esoteric studies back in the day about the force required to reaerosolize captured virus from a filter surface and it's like you have to have a tornado hit it so

sure but what about to redropletize huh

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

This was posted in the economics thread:

lol the democrats

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Reshuffling of how cases are being assigned and counted. There were a couple dozen cases over 2022 that got switched from "complete" to "incomplete" cases. I presume that they don't have an actual positive test and it was only tentatively identified? Not really sure. Overall case count stays unchanged since late July.

Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	699	 -
Hosp.	21	 -
pre:
Month Onset/	Older
Collection	Cases	Change
Jul 2023	1	-
Jun 2023	2	-
May 2023	0	-
Apr 2023	7	-
Mar 2023	5	-1
Feb 2023	9	-
Jan 2023	15	-
Dec 2022	11	-2
Nov 2022	15	-4
Oct 2022	14	-9
Sep 2022	118	-16
Aug 2022	259	-
Jul 2022	190	-
Jun 2022	16	-
May 2022	1	-
Incomplete	36	+32
WA State Mpox Dashboard

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CoasterMaster posted:

It's sliiggghhtttlllyyy better with a sale now. You can buy a pack of 10 tests + reader for $300, but the catch is that the tests expire in 1.5 - 3 months instead of their usual (6+ months? I think?)

https://shop.cuehealth.com/collections/sale

Still expensive, but better

I took advantage of this deal, and got 10 tests that all expire at the end of November. Not bad, should get me through some upcoming spreadsheet avoiding exposure events.

It looks like they're having trouble moving inventory, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sale prices continue until they're out of business: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/troubled-testmaker-cue-health-under-investor-pressure-change-course

Of course once that happens, that's the end of home PCR quality tests.

In other news, apparently COVID can curve your dick: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8420294/. Now you have an excuse for missing the g-spot!

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Next Gen vaccine roundup from Hilda Bastian,

quote:

This month, we got news that another couple of next generation vaccines are heading into human trials, both with national research agency support – an intranasal vaccine from the US, and a pancoronavirus vaccine from France. The US government’s Project NextGen announced that a billion dollars is available to support a network of vaccine trials. And according to a company report, the first public results for a clinical trial of a pancoronavirus vaccine could be around the corner.

Those highlights and more below, broken down into news on US Project NextGen, and 3 categories of next-generation Covid vaccines (definitions below).

China may kill off all coronaviruses,

quote:

Results in mice for a protein subunit vaccine with an adjuvant, from Fudan University. The mice developed signs of immune response to SARS-CoV-2 variants, original SARS, and other coronaviruses, including MERS. This was the fourth set of results in my database from this group.

https://absolutelymaybe.plos.org/2023/08/25/more-next-generation-covid-vaccines-are-heading-into-clinical-trials-update-10/

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Day 18, tested positive again today. I tested positive last Friday with a stuffy nose/sinus pressure and it’s still going on 6 days later and I’m still testing positive on a RAT.

What the gently caress, when is this goddamn poo poo going to be over.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
popped positive Saturday the week before last, got pax immediately, felt a lot better and tested negative by RAT by the end of the five day course, but it’s been another five days and I’m back to testing positive with uncomfortable symptoms.

admin has made it clear that we get five days off for COVID and that’s that, so I’m back in the classroom and frankly lucky I even got those five days off to begin with. SesameCare didn’t want to give me another course of pax but they did prescribe me molnupiravir so I guess I’m gonna take the mutagenic potion. I know molnupiravir isn’t the preferred drug but I’ll take what I can get to fight the virus before i slip up and infect some of my students. sneeze too hard and blast my N95 off my face or some poo poo. this sucks! :coronatoot:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I took advantage of this deal, and got 10 tests that all expire at the end of November. Not bad, should get me through some upcoming spreadsheet avoiding exposure events.

It looks like they're having trouble moving inventory, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sale prices continue until they're out of business: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/troubled-testmaker-cue-health-under-investor-pressure-change-course

Of course once that happens, that's the end of home PCR quality tests.

In other news, apparently COVID can curve your dick: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8420294/. Now you have an excuse for missing the g-spot!

It's really hard to get out-of-home PCR tests right now, too. lol.

Surely the sun will never set on Luciras that expire in October at the latest! And I'm sure those Metrix things will ever see more than some nominal deployment to actors/athletes/politicians.

Owns to be left with tests that take three days to give you a 75% chance of knowing what you're sick with just as your window for getting a pax rx is closing. Trying to gather ~safely~ or otherwise protect someone else? That's a lockdown.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

redreader posted:

This Sure Is A Wave. Lots of people I know who have not thought about covid for years, getting sick! Many such cases indeed.

edit: completely unrelated: my wife had 'allergies' on Monday evening and tested negative. Negative Tuesday morning too, and Tuesday evening she started coughing. Negative this morning but she's getting more sick.

Sure hope you've been masking up and isolating since Monday, cuz she'll pop about Thursday morning at this rate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Glumwheels posted:

Day 18, tested positive again today. I tested positive last Friday with a stuffy nose/sinus pressure and it’s still going on 6 days later and I’m still testing positive on a RAT.

What the gently caress, when is this goddamn poo poo going to be over.

reminder that roughly 5% of people infected with sars-2 will still pop poz 21 days after their first positive result

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
welp a friend got Covid at dragoncon, got shortness of breath, called sesamecare and got told to tough it out and that they’d prescribe him an inhaler

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

welp a friend got Covid at dragoncon, got shortness of breath, called sesamecare and got told to tough it out

😡
tools

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Steve Yun posted:

welp a friend got Covid at dragoncon, got shortness of breath, called sesamecare and got told to tough it out and that they’d prescribe him an inhaler

I've never had trouble with Pushhealth, and my buddy who just pozzed got Pax for both him and his wife through them.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
If anyone needs a COVID safe dentist north of Philly, send me a PM, I may have found one.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

If anyone needs a COVID safe dentist north of Philly, send me a PM, I may have found one.

wait, did you move o.O

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Speaking of tests, Metrix tests are at least temporarily in stock at peach medical. https://shop.peachmedical.com/products/Over-The-Counter-Antigen-Test-Kits-c134955564

DISCLAIMER: I ordered some but haven't gotten them yet. I'm not making any claims about peach or the tests themselves. Buyer beware.

$47 for each test, $75 for the reader. So not much cheaper than Cue. Website says expiration will be April, but I'll report back once I get them.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

wait, did you move o.O

Oh no, I just know a bunch of people in the area. I got pissed and went on a COVID rant in a group I'm in, and one of them told me his dentist is still wearing N95's and running air purifiers in every room.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Weird. The Sesame care NP I got yesterday was happy to give me pax AND prescribed an anti nausea medication just in case because of the pax.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Weird. The Sesame care NP I got yesterday was happy to give me pax AND prescribed an anti nausea medication just in case because of the pax.

trust your dr roulette

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a reason that RATs haven't updated? Just economically unviable to keep up with variant soup?

If you ignored the money/capitalism parts (yes, big ask, I know) would it work to get a year RAT update? As a layperson it seems like it'd be a lot easier to update something that isn't injected into someone like the vaccines are.

(I know the powers that be say if you don't test you don't have covid, etc.)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Oh no, I just know a bunch of people in the area. I got pissed and went on a COVID rant in a group I'm in, and one of them told me his dentist is still wearing N95's and running air purifiers in every room.

ah, word, thought i might have missed it during my posting break. that's cool one exists there, although i don't live there anymore, so :') might check w/ friends in the area and see if anyone wants and send you a PM if so though

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there a reason that RATs haven't updated? Just economically unviable to keep up with variant soup?

my understanding is that a correctly performed RAT (low and slow, throat, etc.) is still pretty good at detecting presence. iirc the area the antigen binds to is pretty highly conserved and hasn't changed that much since wild type? someone could correct me if i'm wrong.

aside from that: FDA approval for a new RAT is expensive in time/money, and i guess if the old one works well enough, no one wants to spend the money on that process.

it's annoying but that's why being mentally prepared to try a couple of these mills when the time comes is good. out of sesame, push, and drb, unless you're truly contra-indicated, you'll likely get the okay at least once. good luck D:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Groupon for a box of ihealth tests, $7

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mp-ihealth-covid-19-rapid-test-2-tests-per-pack

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Sep 6, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

If you ignored the money/capitalism parts (yes, big ask, I know) would it work to get a year RAT update? As a layperson it seems like it'd be a lot easier to update something that isn't injected into someone like the vaccines are.

I went to try and read up on how the RATs even work on a variant level because I didn't know and this brief NIH explainer talks about how they've done research on this and I guess the RATs as they currently stand have a high robustness to changes in the virus? It seems like the question is whether or not any sample you're giving the RAT has enough viral material in it to detect. A PCR can catch a much smaller amount of virus due to the incredible sensitivity of the process, where it's amplifying what's there over and over until it can be detected.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

RATs detect the nucleocapsid protein which is highly conserved; they still work just fine. The problem is people aren't swabbing right or are expecting miracles that they could never provide in terms of pre-symptomatic detection.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've never had trouble with Pushhealth, and my buddy who just pozzed got Pax for both him and his wife through them.

So the thing with all these online services is that they're basically portals doctors/NPs can sign up to provide care through, and YMMV as to the quality of a doc who is willing to sign up to a health care portal to take on patients sight unseen. I've heard of people being told they should take ivermectin through some of these more than once, for instance, and some seem like they just want to help people who might otherwise be shut out of the traditional health care system. Just note the ones that seem sane and reasonable, check ratings and see if you can't specifically choose them on a future visit vs letting the algorithm decide.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Awesome that everyone has to play Wheel of Doctors

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Fur20 posted:

reminder that roughly 5% of people infected with sars-2 will still pop poz 21 days after their first positive result

Well that’s very reassuring, the more I read the more it seems I had a “severe” case of COVID and I’m going into long COVID.

My only issue now is very thick snot in my sinuses that I can’t get out. It’s really thick and blowing my nose gets very little out. I’m going to try Vicks shower bombs with a very steamy shower.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Well that’s very reassuring, the more I read the more it seems I had a “severe” case of COVID and I’m going into long COVID.

My only issue now is very thick snot in my sinuses that I can’t get out. It’s really thick and blowing my nose gets very little out. I’m going to try Vicks shower bombs with a very steamy shower.

Try saline rinse, also hydrate like a motherfucker.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Do we know the expiration dates on these?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

That was a hepa, not a merv13 though. No idea whether that matters in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Indoor Dying posted:

Do we know the expiration dates on these?

tomorrow