Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

My direct and recent experience tells me you're wrong here about the Icons. So I'd suggest taking a stumble through harbor freight again in close proximity to a time you can get near tool truck boxes, as well a literally just looking underneath the drawers of a US General and then an Icon. And then looking at the sheet metal gauges. There is no mistaking one for the other in any way shape or form. I know this because I just went through this decision making matrix, where I concluded that for my needs US General was going to be fine and then scored a 54" open box/floor model top and bottom during their parking lot sale for under $1k. I would have had to spend about $4k to get the same thing in the Icon series. And while very nice, it is also very unnecessary for a static toolbox that will never be moved loaded nor counted on as a secure storage container in some space I don't control access to.

Thanks, that's some good insight. I haven't gone after the HF toolboxes with a mic so I can't say that I have good firsthand experience of their construction, and I probably will do that before I buy anything. Getting access to the truck products is harder, which is mostly why I'm asking here. The school has a couple of old Snap-On boxes in the shop, but I don't know anyone who sells or uses Mac or Matco to be able to check them out for myself. I'm going to try to contact trucks in my area and see if any of them work on the weekends, but until I find someone who'll let me check out the product I only have other people's opinions and public information to go off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

fatman1683 posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. Do you know if the Matco or Mac lines I can buy are better than the Snap-On Classic?

Yeah I'm getting ratchets from Matco and wrenches from Mac. I have to prioritize though since there's a limit to how much I can buy with the student discount (around $10k for each vendor).

A co-worker had a Macsimizer, that’s the only other brand box I’ve seen as far as tool truck boxes go. Matco hasn’t shown up in probably 5 years at this point. The Mac boxes are fine, not as nice as Snap on but still more than good enough for home use. I don’t know if the lower end Mac stuff is rebranded from a different Stanley/black & decker subsidiaries though.

I had a Matco low profile flex head as my first “good” ratchet and it was awesome until I broke it. I’d get one of those or a comparable snap-on, they’re one of the few tool truck tools that are worth it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hadlock posted:

I've always wondered if you could just make your own with a used 42" sheet metal brake and then buy the drawer slides and drawer pulls. Really time consuming but sheet metal is basically free, sheet metal boxes are dead simple to construct and you can resell the brake for close to what you paid for it. Those massive snap-on tool boxes seem like a really efficient way to go multiple $10,000s in debt pretty much instantly. Drug dealer seems like an apt comparison

Superfastmatt has a really good round up of the current marketplace of tool boxes

You just bought that metal shear didn't you? That's pretty much half way there. Just get a brake and a spot welder.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hadlock posted:

I've always wondered if you could just make your own with a used 42" sheet metal brake and then buy the drawer slides and drawer pulls. Really time consuming but sheet metal is basically free, sheet metal boxes are dead simple to construct and you can resell the brake for close to what you paid for it. Those massive snap-on tool boxes seem like a really efficient way to go multiple $10,000s in debt pretty much instantly. Drug dealer seems like an apt comparison

Superfastmatt has a really good round up of the current marketplace of tool boxes

"People keep saying Linux homemade toolboxes are free, but only if your time is worthless."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

"People keep saying Linux homemade toolboxes are free, but only if your time is worthless."

LOL, exactly right. If he builds a toolbox and I start picking up gig work until I can buy one in cash, even accounting for wear and loss to my assets due to wear I'll have a much nicer toolbox in less time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Even if your materials were free just the amount of time to paint it all and have it look decent is insane

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who said anything about "looking decent"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

You just bought that metal shear didn't you? That's pretty much half way there. Just get a brake and a spot welder.

Upvoted. How hard can it be?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hadlock posted:

I've always wondered if you could just make your own with a used 42" sheet metal brake and then buy the drawer slides and drawer pulls. Really time consuming but sheet metal is basically free, sheet metal boxes are dead simple to construct and you can resell the brake for close to what you paid for it.

:goonsay:

I have debated the same thing and ultimately decided not to bother or post about it, which should give you some hint of how foolhardy an idea it is given the things I do do and post about

Even buying cheap imported drawer slides you are spending a significant fraction of the cost of a real toolbox

And sheet metal fab is absolutely not as easy as you think it is if you care about it being remotely square or plumb enough to use as a toolbox, but by all means, do this, I want to watch and laugh.

I say this as the guy who custom fabricated every single non-COTS sheet metal item in an entire house worth of rigid HVAC ducting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That reminds me my 3003 sheet aluminum came in last Friday I need to go slice my hands open on the edges pick it up, cut it down to size and take it home and learn how my generic branded rivet gun and clicos work

Yeah I have no desire to build my own. When we get the shop built I'll pick up two units from harbor freight like everyone else. It just blows my mind to see someone burn up $30k or whatever buying a top end snap-on mega chest

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I have no desire to build my own. When we get the shop built I'll pick up two units from harbor freight like everyone else. It just blows my mind to see someone burn up $30k or whatever buying a top end snap-on mega chest

BOOOOOUUUURRRNNNSSS!!!!!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Hadlock posted:

(X) Stainless Sheet Metal
(X) Tools
(X) Welder
(X) Drawer Slides
( - ) Time

Always missing one of those requirements, the overstuffed upper chest has been putting in a lot of work. There is a big pile of tools where the drawers would go in the lower frame.

For a multimeter look around for a used Fluke, two of mine somehow fell in the pile to get calibrated at work and were still perfectly accurate.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm using a 1960sish matco machinists box with friction slides loaded down to about half a ton. It's outlived at least a dozen other boxes from all walks of quality and cost. I've been meaning to find the matching lower for several years now.

No way in hell would I take on such an endeavor to make my own box with blackjack and hookers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ULjt29GIoA

Oh here's a video even

Good luck even matching a lovely tool chest

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
server rack toolchest looking like a great idea (because i have a spare rack on wheels)

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Hadlock posted:

You know what's far cheaper than a used metal break? A brand new 52" stacked rolling tool chest from Home Depot. Those even come with a warranty.
Hell, the prices I see on used metal brand on CL in my area a new MAC Tools tool chest might even be cheaper.

You doing need to spend thousands on a tool chest to get a half way decent one. Unless your aim is too impress other people, then I can't help you.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

if you wish to make a toolbox, you must first invent the universe

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
For awhile now I've been eyeballing a menards tool chests. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with those?

They seem to be decently solid, have latching drawer handles, and the drawer sizes seem like they would accommodate stuff like battery tools much better than my 80s craftsman chest and old cubicle furniture

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MrChips posted:

if you wish to make a toolbox, you must first invent the universe

Which has been widely regarded as a mistake.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

nadmonk posted:

You know what's far cheaper than a used metal break? A brand new 52" stacked rolling tool chest from Home Depot. Those even come with a warranty.
Not that I roll it around much, but I've had a 52" husky (the older version of this one) for almost a decade and it still looks and works like new.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Spending 30000 hours of your free time to save $10,000 on a $15,000 tool!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Spending 30000 hours of your free time to save $10,000 on a $15,000 tool!

Spending 30000 hours of your free time to save $10,000 on a $15,000 box to store $5,000 worth of tools!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

stealie72 posted:

Not that I roll it around much, but I've had a 52" husky (the older version of this one) for almost a decade and it still looks and works like new.

This is similar to what I have and I'm pretty happy with it. It was about $800 when I bought it a few years back and there was nothing in that size that was as nice that I could find.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

This is similar to what I have and I'm pretty happy with it. It was about $800 when I bought it a few years back and there was nothing in that size that was as nice that I could find.
Yeah, I think I got it for $600-ish as a black friday doorbuster.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ULjt29GIoA

Oh here's a video even

Good luck even matching a lovely tool chest

in glorious 360p, even!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Obviously fake vid. No wonder they used potato camera.

More than a lovely used sheet metal brake being utilized just to obfuscate people so they don't do it on their own.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
In a similar vein since we are all thinkin' about thos boxes; I'm considering the 24" deep and 42" long (or maybe the 52" version) Husky Mobile Workbench. Seems like a pretty good value at $500 or less depending on when it's on sale. Ideally I think if it popped up for $400 I'd have it, but that seems unlikely.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

In a similar vein since we are all thinkin' about thos boxes; I'm considering the 24" deep and 42" long (or maybe the 52" version) Husky Mobile Workbench. Seems like a pretty good value at $500 or less depending on when it's on sale. Ideally I think if it popped up for $400 I'd have it, but that seems unlikely.

I ended up at Home Depot to kill time and one I like is actually selling for $400. Sons of bitches.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like you can't afford not to buy it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I built my own tool box once. :colbert:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Catatron Prime posted:

For awhile now I've been eyeballing a menards tool chests. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with those?

They seem to be decently solid, have latching drawer handles, and the drawer sizes seem like they would accommodate stuff like battery tools much better than my 80s craftsman chest and old cubicle furniture

A couple friends have other models of theirs, and I’ve been impressed. That one looks like a good box to me too. I’d cross shop US General, but that’s probably pretty competitive. Get that 11% rebate and fill it up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Uthor posted:

I built my own tool box once. :colbert:

Repurposing old furniture/kitchen cabinets/salvaged parts and wood for use in a garage has a long and distinguished history.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think that's homemade entirely from scratch. I've made most of the furniture, drawers and poo poo in my shop myself, granted from wood, some metal like a welding table and I built my own break too which has been handy more than once? I now also spent three years building another small shed / now becoming another shop by myself from scratch, so maybe that says something about me.

But I think they work fine and where cheap as hell and I learned a lot doing it. I don't have a rolling tool box because I prefer tool walls but I have fixed tool drawers on my work benches. I know they aren't as good, with their wooden glides, as the professional cart we got at work. But I don't feel they are a hindrance either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think that's homemade entirely from scratch.

Yeah, I was learning wood working, figured a cabinet would be good practice. Something in the shop would mean I wouldn't feel bad if I messed it up!

It was in a rental, so small and on wheels was a requirement.

In the process of buying a house. Hopefully going to be making more stuff next year...

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I love my 73" Icon from Harbor Freight. My only gripe is that I need to stand on my tippy toes to see in the topmost chest drawers, and I'm 6' tall. Could probably solve this with smaller wheels.

Anyways, I can stand on any of the drawers fully extended. And they don't wobble side to side either.

I think they really are the best value...compared to a $20,000+ Snap-on combo

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Try a step stool. Stepping on a drawer of that box is not a risk I would take.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 8, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I have an older mastercraft (Canadian tire brand) box, chest + cabinet that's kinda skinny and tall compared to the newer styles that are wide and short.

I needed more space and found a middle box that fit perfectly on sale for 99 bucks but now I need longer legs to see stuff at the top which is where I've been keeping sockets for the last 25 or so years.

My solution, whenever I get around to it will be to put the sockets in a lower drawer and the very top will probably be for either things that I rarely use, or maybe something like power tools and batteries, so I can reach up and find what I want by feel alone.
I just need to figure out how to mount my sockets. Currently have the rails screwed in to sone thin pieces of plywood, but that's too tall for any of the drawers in the top two sections. I might rivet the rails to some pieces of sheet metal. That would take care of everything except for my deep impact sockets.

So like uhh, if you've got things you don't use too often or can identify by feel, maybe put that stuff at the top.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 8, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Pump went out on my cheap0 pressure washer so now im in the market for a new one. Im willing to spend up to 500 bucks if that gets me a decent one that won't die as soon as Biden is out of office. Gotta be electric and normal use cases are cleaning cars and washing windows on my house. No need to blast off concrete or wood so super high PSI isn't a big deal.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
High psi isn't so much about being able to write your name in cement as it is about making the work go faster. More pressure means you can switch to a wider tip or move the wand further away and still be able to clean.

I haven't sold pressure washers in years, so I can't recommend anything in particular, but try to get something with a triplex pump if possible. And winterize it at the end of the season if it's going to get cold. A can of pressure washer antifreeze is about :10bux: and can be used twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've had a workbench at home ever since I moved into my current place, but I only bought a vise for it today (it's a pretty sweet old brand name German thing in good condition I found used for little money for what it is so I'm happy). Anyways, I think I want to drill holes for it in two different places in the bench so I can move it around, depending - the best most solid place for it is right in the middle where the bench is fully supported from below but the vise would get in the way when I want to work on long things. Does there exist some kind of "speed lock" I could use instead of m14 nuts and bolts so it would be easier and faster to move? I'm thinking of something with cams, akin to bicycle axles you can remove without tools, only much beefier, or something like that.