Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I mostly use costco now for those crossiants, the kirkland protein bars, shelf stable vanilla soymilk, and their big bags of sweet potato fries. eggs aren't even the cheapest there anymore I can get a dozen eggs at the aldi near my new house for a buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
re:costco produce - I basically only buy apples, bananas, strawberries and the occasional box of mushrooms when a recipe calls for it. Veggie quality from costco is bad in my experience. I often see salads & cukes and such with pack dates a week or more in the past, and it's like rolling the dice on if you get another week or 2 days before it starts rotting.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't think I've ever seen a Costco without a huge line at the gas pumps, it always seemed like a "you might save money but you'll pay with your time" deal.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I have a friend that would drive several miles out of his way to get gas at Costco because it was slightly cheaper than the gas station a few blocks from him. LOL

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Costco without a huge line at the gas pumps, it always seemed like a "you might save money but you'll pay with your time" deal.

It looks like they are changing this with much larger pump islands. The one that opened up near me this year has rows of four pumps each, spaced out further so that all but the dumbest boomers can manage to pull in around other cars without waiting for a whole line of pumps to clear. They also have LED signs at the front of each row to show which pumps are vacant.

The closest I've ever been to "a line" is having to pump from the passenger side because dipshits will still gladly sit in a line to not have to hold a hose.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the costco gas station is open before costco opens, whenever I stop there on the way to work to fill up it is usually reasonable.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Costco works a lot better if you have an attic or basement or garage to store things like 12-packs of toilet paper; a chest freezer is essential.

If you expect to buy major appliances, the Costco membership is absolutely worth it. Do your research, then show up in the store, order it, and it's delivered to your home. Selection is limited because Costco; we bought our refrigerator from Home Depot because we needed an unusual model.

Our biggest use is clothes, alcohol, meat, and housewares. The alcohol is substantially below the liquor-store price and the wine prices are great. The meat quality is wildly variable from visit to visit, but there are some cuts we find acceptable. For some reason their lamb is usually pretty good. All meats get divided into mealsworths and individually frozen. If you want work clothes/clothes to wear around the house, there's a solid selection of flannel, jeans, liners, and shirts. We routinely pick up bowls, silverware organizers, stepstools, trashcans, that sort of thing, and the occasional small appliance. They had Cuisinarts cheaply at Christmas, and we bought one for our daughter.

I don't generally buy food at Costco because I have no place to put that many of whatever they're selling. I do like the frozen pesto, the prepackaged smoked salmon, and the surprisingly cheap crème fraîche and goat cheese. The crème fraîche*, instead of being a quart, is about twice the size of the stuff you get in stores, and it keeps well enough that we use all of it. I have canned or dried some of those big ol' flats of fruit, and the results were fine.

* Costco selection varies wildly depending on location; my memory is that the Foster City, CA one stocked slightly different foods and wines than the East Palo Alto (closer to the richest people) branch. I would not be at all shocked if non-Northern California ones didn't have crème fraîche, or goat cheese, or other local luxuries. The produce we've bought there has been fine, but we're (relatively) right next to where it's grown.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Business costco is right on my way home from work, never has a line for gas, and is like 20 to 40 cents cheaper per gallon :getin:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DaveSauce posted:

Anyone use one of those trendy Solo stoves for a fire pit?

Are these things worth the cost?

Buddy of mine bought one and I borrowed it from him when he moved. He took it back but I liked it so much I bought my own. The new models all have removable ash pans so the one I got was the last of the old ones, I still have to dump the whole thing. Worth it for half price. I like it for the ambience and smokelessness more than the heat as well, but it does put heat out after burning for a while.

I bought a much cheaper spark screen off amazon with a real fine mesh, the solo one costs a ton and had real large openings in the wire mesh so a lot of sparks still got out, I didn't like it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Zarin posted:

I'm thinking of just DIYing a Murphy Bed this fall.

How terrible of an idea is this?

It's a great idea. I used this kit from rockler

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-create-a-bed-adjustable-deluxe-murphy-bed-hardware-kit

Took me a weekend-- I modified the plans to make it deeper and add a headboard, ended up being about $900 total with the wood.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

It's a great idea. I used this kit from rockler

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-create-a-bed-adjustable-deluxe-murphy-bed-hardware-kit

Took me a weekend-- I modified the plans to make it deeper and add a headboard, ended up being about $900 total with the wood.

I really wish I was this handy lol. These look really good

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Costco story of the day:

After talking about Costco poo poo on this dead gay forum, I decided to go down there after dinner and get some diet sodas and bottles of tea. The red lines on the map below are how far back the gasoline traffic was backed up for $0.08 cheaper than the place a few blocks down.

Also, while yes, this is insane traffic... I also blame this on whoever the gently caress designed the intersection leading to it and on Costco for putting in only one, single-lane-each-way road that serves both the gas station and store access. Utter horseshit planning.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
There is a Costco thread in GBS, friend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sundae posted:

Costco story of the day:

After talking about Costco poo poo on this dead gay forum, I decided to go down there after dinner and get some diet sodas and bottles of tea. The red lines on the map below are how far back the gasoline traffic was backed up for $0.08 cheaper than the place a few blocks down.

Also, while yes, this is insane traffic... I also blame this on whoever the gently caress designed the intersection leading to it and on Costco for putting in only one, single-lane-each-way road that serves both the gas station and store access. Utter horseshit planning.

Literally every Costco ever.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

There is a Costco thread in GBS, friend.

There is, but I figured we just spent two pages here about it, so why put it somewhere on-topic? :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not Costco chat (sorry for even mentioning it :negative:)

I have a ~16x20 deck with a "view" of some distant hills that aren't (yet) blocked by my neighbors trees we spend a lot of time here, mostly worrying about our neighbors trees and trying not to reread motronics advice on glycophosphate but I disgress

Looking at doing one of these things. Sunbrella is the name brand in outdoor canvas, particularly with boats, does all their stuff in 60" (5') rolls

Thinking about doing 3 x 5' sections of sunbrella (they heat blah blah anti fray the edges on the 60" rolls) x 20'

The logic being that my :airquote: "view" is on one side and most people (i.e. me, drinking coffee in the morning) sit on the far side closer to the pool, and could retract the side closest to the view side

Curious if anyone else has done something like this, how does it handle with the wind up, does it have a tendency to mold or collect leaves or what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 3 year warranty says to me that they will last exactly 3.5 years in the California sun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That looks like a huge pain in the rear end personally. I can't imagine keeping it clean and I feel like it would collect debris and if it rains it's going to be soggy and have drip/wet stains.

Maybe it's fine somewhere you don't have rain or trees, or wind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edit: I didn't realize people don't know about sunbrella never mind

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 6, 2023

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I know about Sunbrella!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Looks kind of interesting but I don't think I'd be a fan of all of the cables stretched across my deck. Anecdote on the use of canvas/tarps, my patio had a tarp covering the pergola when we moved in, looked like it had been there for 5+ years and the year after we moved in it tore itself apart in a wind storm. It didn't seem to have any mold though so that was a positive.

Here's what it looked like when we bought it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It makes me think of when we replaced our rope hammock with a full canvas hammock and immediately it was like "Oh this really captures stains and bird poo poo".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Verman posted:

That looks like a huge pain in the rear end personally. I can't imagine keeping it clean and I feel like it would collect debris and if it rains it's going to be soggy and have drip/wet stains.

Maybe it's fine somewhere you don't have rain or trees, or wind.

I assure you, having a penis is not that bad

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

Looking at doing one of these things. Sunbrella is the name brand in outdoor canvas, particularly with boats, does all their stuff in 60" (5') rolls

There's nothing particularly unique or bullet proof about Sunbrella, they are just the Hoover of outdoor fabrics. There's also Revolution, Nuvella, Outdura, etc. You'll probably pay more to buy Sunbrella just based on the name.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
We stayed in a flat in Grenada, Spain that had one of those sun shades. Not sure what brand it was, but it had been there for a while and it was in relatively good shape.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
As long as it can sustain the wind in your area and is properly UV resistant they tend to last a decent while. In socal I feel like that is 5-10 years for the good stuff. 0-3 for the cheap stuff. But around me if you don't properly engineer them the Santa Ana's will tear them clean off the first year they're up. Marine use is a good indicator of durability.

This generally means retract when not in use during wind season, and leaving a hefty gap between it and the house so that you are venting air. (I am not an engineer but have seen many of these things flapping in the breeze no longer bound by all sides to their original structure.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 6, 2023

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sorry you guys don’t “get” Sunbrella - if you did (or likewise wasted thousands maintaining a boat like the OP) you wouldn’t be so confused.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Illegal s-traps and an open neutral without an obvious cause. Day 2 of renovations going great!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Upgrade posted:

Sorry you guys don’t “get” Sunbrella - if you did (or likewise wasted thousands maintaining a boat like the OP) you wouldn’t be so confused.

I will acknowledge that I do not "get" Sunbrella. I've never had a boat, a yard, or a boatyard.

Can you explain this for me? :v:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

A groundhog tunneled under our concrete front porch. He's gone now, but the tunnel / void is still there. What's the best way to get this addressed? Call someone who does mudjacking / polyjacking and have them fill it up? It hasn't sunk or anything, I just want the hole to be filled with something supportive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sundae posted:

I will acknowledge that I do not "get" Sunbrella. I've never had a boat, a yard, or a boatyard.

Can you explain this for me? :v:

Basically making fun of this

Hadlock posted:

Edit: I didn't realize people don't know about sunbrella never mind

I think it looks great but I know that it wouldn’t hold up for poo poo in LA.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We're in earthquake country, and I just put the dots together and realized that our unreinforced masonry foundation may be kind of a problem. Does anybody have suggestions on how to find a reliable structural engineer? Is it necessary to find a reliable foundation engineer instead?

Helpful information on the Web*:

quote:

Foundation engineer skills and personality traits

We calculated that 66% of Foundation Engineers are proficient in Geotechnical, CSS, and Deep Foundations. They’re also known for soft skills such as Leadership skills, Speaking skills, and Writing skills.

We break down the percentage of Foundation Engineers that have these skills listed on their resume here:

Geotechnical, 66%

Compiled results and recommended design in a geotechnical design report.
CSS, 13%

Created cross browser compatibility templates using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to format the data.
Deep Foundations, 10%

Analyzed and design deep foundations for housing and industrial projects settled on difficult sub-soil conditions.
Foundation Drawings, 10%

Created and updated foundation drawings per engineer design and mark ups.

Common skills that a foundation engineer uses to do their job include "geotechnical," "css," and "deep foundations." You can find details on the most important foundation engineer responsibilities below.
God bless AI.

brugroffil posted:

Illegal s-traps and an open neutral without an obvious cause. Day 2 of renovations going great!

One of us! One of us!
* omg I still instinctively capitalize Web, put me out to pasture upstate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I think it looks great but I know that it wouldn’t hold up for poo poo in LA.

Doesn't stay water repellent for more than a couple seasons either, which really sucks for outdoor furniture cushions.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're in earthquake country, and I just put the dots together and realized that our unreinforced masonry foundation may be kind of a problem. Does anybody have suggestions on how to find a reliable structural engineer? Is it necessary to find a reliable foundation engineer instead?

Helpful information on the Web*:

God bless AI.

One of us! One of us!
* omg I still instinctively capitalize Web, put me out to pasture upstate.

I'm a licensed PE Civil engineer in California; there's a lot of structural and geotechnical engineers who specialize in these kind of inspections. It's easy to look up their license online but likely you'd want a geotechnical report for the soil type and a structural engineer for any retrofit you might need (maybe shotcrete walls? Hard to say without more info).

In your case I'd seek a structural engineer first and they can make a determination if a geotechnical report is necessary, plus they can catch other elements of your home you might not know of yet.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

A groundhog tunneled under our concrete front porch. He's gone now, but the tunnel / void is still there. What's the best way to get this addressed? Call someone who does mudjacking / polyjacking and have them fill it up? It hasn't sunk or anything, I just want the hole to be filled with something supportive.

Controlled density fill is basically super runny grout that fills voids. If you know the extent of the hole tbh I'd just get a general contractor to pump it with CDF, but if you don't, maybe it's time for a professional eval by a licensed PE or foundation contractor.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Sunbrella. The fabric is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of fabric science most of the value will go over a typical poster's head. There's also Sunbrella's customer service, which is deftly woven into its business model - their business philosophy draws heavily from MBA literature, for instance. The connoisseurs understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the value of the fabric, to realize that its not just durable - it says something deep about your your LIFESTYLE. As a consequence people who dislike Sunbrella truly ARE idiots - of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the value in Sunbrella's 5-year limited warranty, which itself is a reference to the social contract. I'm smirking right now imagining one of these addlepated simpletons scratching their head in confusion as Sunbrella's genius unfolds itself in front of them at Jo Ann's. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Sunbrella tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. Its for the ladies' eyes only - and even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This happened at my kids house. Tunnelled under the concrete monolithic front steps, leaving a void the diameter of a basketball and about 5' long.

He shovelled in soil. Hog dug it out in 2-days.

I loaded in a quarter-ton of broken stone & packed it with a rod &sledgehammer. Good luck digging through sharp rocks, round boy.
(that did it)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Get some hornet pheromones and pour liberally into the hole, the hornets will build a high-strength nest to help keep your porch secure

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
The thing I like about Costco is they pay me enough that I can post in the homeowners thread and not the I hate my landlord thread.

Thanks to my neighbors running their sprinklers everyday even though we are in stage three water restrictions, I don't have to worry about my foundation separating because of the drought and summer that is pushing 105 into September.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Blindeye posted:

Controlled density fill is basically super runny grout that fills voids. If you know the extent of the hole tbh I'd just get a general contractor to pump it with CDF, but if you don't, maybe it's time for a professional eval by a licensed PE or foundation contractor.

Thanks, will find someone for this!

I checked out the void and it doesn't look too crazy. Endoscope comes in handy yet again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I'm a licensed PE Civil engineer in California; there's a lot of structural and geotechnical engineers who specialize in these kind of inspections. It's easy to look up their license online but likely you'd want a geotechnical report for the soil type and a structural engineer for any retrofit you might need (maybe shotcrete walls? Hard to say without more info).

In your case I'd seek a structural engineer first and they can make a determination if a geotechnical report is necessary, plus they can catch other elements of your home you might not know of yet.
That was very helpful, thanks. Is a license a good enough guarantee that they know what they're doing? I live in a small area, and there's likely to be only one structural engineer in town, if that.