Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

celadon posted:

once one or two percent of your employees are actively called out sick

we call these people nonhackers and fire them. then you are down to 0% called out sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

That's just the beautiful great smokey mountain skyline

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

celadon posted:

once one or two percent of your employees are actively called out sick, its basically guaranteed that several more percent are about to call out sick, and are currently spreading covid inside your hospital, right?

*slaps baseball bat into palm of opposite hand*

"What part of 'noone could have foreseen this' did you not understand?"

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Oracle posted:

*slaps baseball bat into palm of opposite hand*

"What part of 'noone could have foreseen this' did you not understand?"

uh uhm what i meant is that i appreciate the hard work all our public health and medical professionals put into managing this unknowable plague and will go to applebees twice a week from now on in recognition of their sacrifices

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

celadon posted:

but then if anyone comes by and asks how you lost all your horses, you can point at the closed barn doors and tell them there was nothing you could have done

okay but what if we also still let some horses do whatever?

quote:

Multiple strategies are used, and students who cannot safely and consistently mask due to young age, a medical condition, or developmental disability are not required to do so.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1699255401165021547

lol

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

oh did they ever release the updated US life expectancy numbers? i thought people were talking last friday like they should be dropping soon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soap Scum posted:

fr though, the virus dies after 72 hours on basically any surface. if you're concerned about that vector, pack it and isolate it for 5 days to be super safe before you return.

That’s just not true. Virirons may not readily dislodge, but they can remain infectious for weeks.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Got another infuriating email from my dad, I guess NPR is pushing "maskless for under 15 minutes is safe" again? :hmmrona:

They’re doing this to spin the observable reality that the Leader of the Free World is being seen in public endangering other octogenarians, like dudes to whom he’s presenting the nation’s highest honor.

fosborb posted:

school district just emailed saying they're prepared to bring back mask mandates as outbreaks occur (3 or more cases in a classroom)

:supaburn:

“We can only take action against weapons in school if we catch three kids with them in the same classroom at the same time.”

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
It is near impossible to just find an easy PCR test that’s free or covered by insurance now. Trying to get my entire family tested just for peace of mind and I can’t find anybody, Waiting on one community clinic to call me back now but not even urgent care is an option unless we have “symptoms”.

No poo poo COVID is everywhere and there were two major super spreader events in Seattle this weekend (pax and Nintendo live).

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It took 3 years, but COVID finally caught me. Conveniently it caught me on a weekend where I was expecting to feel sluggish and hungover, so I didn't notice for a bit. It is not as mild as was advertised.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

nomad2020 posted:

It took 3 years, but COVID finally caught me. Conveniently it caught me on a weekend where I was expecting to feel sluggish and hungover, so I didn't notice for a bit. It is not as mild as was advertised.

3½ years is pretty good. Sorry you got got :(

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

nomad2020 posted:

. It is not as mild as was advertised.

Many people are saying this.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

nomad2020 posted:

It is not as mild as was advertised.
Maybe you just need to build up a tolerance.

All joking aside, sorry goon :(. Hope it's still a little mild.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fosborb posted:

okay but what if we also still let some horses do whatever?

What I'm hearing is that there are multiple horses in the hospital and they should be allowed to choose the precautions that are right for them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

What I'm hearing is that there are multiple horses in the hospital and they should be allowed to choose the precautions that are right for them.

this post has been edited for gary larson compliance

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Sep 7, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Too soon

Edit: edited

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Sep 7, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

You know what gets me?

Neanderthals took care of their sick.

They'd have worn n95s, if you spoke enough Neanderthal to communicate the need and found one that works with their nose....

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
I realize this is variable, but is there an average sense of when a rebound will happen if it's going to? My partner's last dose of (commoner, not Fauci-class) Pax was this morning, and she's feeling pretty good but we're sort of holding our breath for round 2.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's weekly update, cobbled together from the state's excel reports Cumulative Counts and EpiCurve Counts.

Full set of images linked here: https://imgur.com/a/XWJQMDg

Recent Hospitalizations
Hospitalizations of Washington state residents dated by week of first admission due to confirmed or probable COVID-19.

pre:
Hosp.      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Sep 03            -        -        -        -       + 33          33
Aug 27            -        -        -       47      + 192         239
Aug 20            -        -       56      173       + 32         261
Aug 13            -       43      179       24        + 6         252
Aug 06           49      147       10        8        + 0         214
All Older       145       25       23        2        + 8          
Recent Deaths
Deaths due to confirmed COVID-19 are dated week of death.

[timg].png[/timg]

pre:
Deaths*    Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Sep 03            -        -        -        -        + 0           -
Aug 27            -        -        -        -       + 17          17
Aug 20            -        -        2       11        + 5          18
Aug 13            -        -       18        7        + 1          26
Aug 06            -        8        8        3        + 0          19
All Older        15        9        2        -        + 2         
And now for the least useful metric...

Recent Cases (Molecular + Antigen)
Cases are dated as first specimen date of either PCR or antigen test unless greater than 90 days since previous positive, then it is considered a reinfection.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Sep 03            -        -        -        -      + 931         931
Aug 27            -        -        -    1,165    + 2,505       3,670
Aug 20            -        -      878    2,261      + 118       3,257
Aug 13            -      405    2,304       69        + 9       2,787
Aug 06          610    1,619      128       17       + 15       2,389
All Older     1,593    1,589       65       13        + 4          

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Are you sure these graphs are correct? They sure seem to imply that covid isn't over.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

BusError posted:

I realize this is variable, but is there an average sense of when a rebound will happen if it's going to? My partner's last dose of (commoner, not Fauci-class) Pax was this morning, and she's feeling pretty good but we're sort of holding our breath for round 2.

I don't think there is sufficient research to say, but here is the distribution from a piece of research:

As you can tell there isn't really a clear pattern. I don't think it is likely you will get much better data, as this is one of those things that are difficult to research in a valid way. At least not ethically.

Reference: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2206449

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Sep 7, 2023

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Pingui posted:

I don't think there is sufficient research to say, but here is the distribution from a piece of research:

As you can tell there isn't really a clear pattern.

Reference: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2206449

Oof, so the gap can be several days before it comes back. Maybe I'll get canceled for saying this but I do not like this virus!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, exactly.

Unfortunately, I think we're still not allowed to post unedited Gary Larson comics (this is not a joke, he's apparently very litigious and got a comic thread sent upstate).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eXXon posted:

Yes, exactly.

Unfortunately, I think we're still not allowed to post unedited Gary Larson comics (this is not a joke, he's apparently very litigious and got a comic thread sent upstate).

Add the “tomboy enjoyer” guy but it’s Mike Pence.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

BusError posted:

(..)
Maybe I'll get canceled for saying this but I do not like this virus!!

Disliking the virus is fine, just don't try to avoid it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

Yes, exactly.

I finally killed the covid thread

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

there i ruined the joke, we're safe

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i posted about a week ago that i had a pile of masks to give out for free, got one person asking for some, but i still have a ton. can anyone vet for a place or organization to which i can donate them that might be able to make use of them? i’m around portland if it makes any difference, don’t mind shipping if needed

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How long after doing the nasal spray does it interfere with testing again?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

celadon posted:

oh did they ever release the updated US life expectancy numbers? i thought people were talking last friday like they should be dropping soon

No but as best I can tell they didn't release the 2021 numbers until 9/30/22 (Num 23 here).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Too Many Birds posted:

i don't think dr. offit really has a say in the matter.

he’s on the fda advisory board

sounds like they’re having an acip meeting sept 12

public can comment here until 11:59pm sept 8:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/index.html

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Sep 7, 2023

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
They're really not going to give us boosters, huh? lmao!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

hello can i interest you in natures booster

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

At the very least it should replace the bivalent booster entirely (they stopped that flow a month ago), so unvaccinated will be getting the monovalent.

So for instance the AAP has received instructions for ordering: https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/25416/Pfizer-releases-information-on-ordering-new?autologincheck=redirected

Edit to note: I am deducing here, as it has not been clearly communicated who, what, where or when.

Now your old pal Pingui here naturally won't be getting a booster; I've got my singular wildtype booster 21 months ago and that must be good enough for anyone not 50+ :shepface:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Sep 7, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

nomad2020 posted:

It is not as mild as was advertised.

Sorry buddy. Thread title?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

hello can i interest you in natures booster
It's free, widely available regardless of age or health status, and up to date with the latest variants. :buddy:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Now your old pal Pingui here naturally won't be getting a booster; I've got my singular wildtype booster 21 months ago and that must be good enough for anyone not 50+ :shepface:

lol. I tried to find some commentary, any on the UK's policy (after getting not much about Europe generally) and found this from January:

quote:

CLAIM: The United Kingdom is banning anyone under the age of 50 from getting COVID-19 vaccines.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. While the country will stop widely providing the vaccine to those under 50 next month, anyone deemed to have a clinical need, such as those at risk of severe illness, as well as frontline healthcare workers and caregivers, will still be able to get the shot.

THE FACTS: Social media users are claiming the UK is prohibiting any and all people under the age of 50 from getting inoculated against COVID-19.

Many are sharing a story from a blog known for spreading COVID misinformation with a headline that reads: “U.K. Becomes Latest Country to Ban Covid Boosters for Under-50s.”

5 pinnochios!! Oh it's 65+ now, not 50+.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Blegh, helping another friend navigate getting pax. Luckily their insurance had a $15 telehealth consult, but they literally have family texting them saying it's no big deal and not to worry.
It's also lovely that this is someone who works with kids and is being pressured to come back to work on day 5 regardless of symptoms. Luckily they've got good masks, and they're working with middleschoolers and GenEd this year not special needs k and elementary again. It also sucks that they're right at the tail end of efficacy at day 3 of symptoms, because no one told them they needed to get it ASAP.
Luckily their partner doesn't live with them and isn't popping hot, so probably avoided infection.
I wish normal people were given any real access and knowledge of those tools that were supposed to mitigate covid and justified Open Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Glumwheels posted:

It is near impossible to just find an easy PCR test that’s free or covered by insurance now. Trying to get my entire family tested just for peace of mind and I can’t find anybody, Waiting on one community clinic to call me back now but not even urgent care is an option unless we have “symptoms”.

No poo poo COVID is everywhere and there were two major super spreader events in Seattle this weekend (pax and Nintendo live).

I tried dumping a random Washington postal code here: https://testinglocator.cdc.gov/ and supposedly Walgreens is an option.