Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

Shudder is still my go-to streaming site when I wanna watch a good horror movie, but Tubi loving rules when I'm working from home and want to put on a bunch of wild obscure stuff in the background.

Am I going to sit down for 90 minutes to watch Dr. Giggles? Probably not. But you better believe I'll throw that on while I'm "listening" to a really painful conference call.

Extremely disrespectful to Dr Giggles holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Class3KillStorm posted:

You should watch Dr. Giggles :mad:

Seconding this. It's peak 'quippy slasher'.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did not know there was a trailer for suitable flesh. Been following Joe’s insta and he never posted anything lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dr. Giggles does in fact *checks notes* own bones.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
don't think that's too uncommon for doctors

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

The selection of classic horror is really amazing. It's not just 00s direct-to-DVD crap and more iterations of LavaShark vs. Acidantula that I was expecting. They've got Count Yorga!!!

Honestly now you got me wanting LavaShark vs Acidantula to be a real film...

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
So I caught up on Last Voyage of the Demeter now that it's out on streaming/rental. Why was Dracula CG? Looking at behind the scenes stuff they built a full suit for the actor and completely replaced it in post. Seems really odd considering the amount of work they'd have to do to create the suit, get the actor into it for all his scenes, remove it by roto-ing out of every shot he's in, and then creating a nearly identical model.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Schwarzwald posted:

don't think that's too uncommon for doctors

Uh you need to get better medical care.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

84.5% of Doctors are weirdo racist perverts.

99.99903% of nurses are the worst person you've ever met.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

99.99903% of nurses are the worst person you've ever met.

Hey that's not true, one of my really good friends went back to school and became a nurse.

Two years later she got a bunch of fillers in her face to become nightmarishly smooth, adopted six large dogs from the pound which she neglected and locked in her garage permanently, and was arrested for attempted murder as a result of trying to run over her husband with a car, all within the span of like two months.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 7, 2023

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Watching Halloween 6 and it's pretty awful, but Paul Rudd is fun and it looks SO 90's that I can't really bring myself to hate it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know man, 6 might be the worst one aside from like, 8? At least in the original continuity.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know man, 6 might be the worst one aside from like, 8? At least in the original continuity.

Yeah, it's bad. I'm also watching the Producer's cut so I don't even get to see the abusive dad's head explode

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Almost Blue posted:

So I caught up on Last Voyage of the Demeter now that it's out on streaming/rental. Why was Dracula CG? Looking at behind the scenes stuff they built a full suit for the actor and completely replaced it in post. Seems really odd considering the amount of work they'd have to do to create the suit, get the actor into it for all his scenes, remove it by roto-ing out of every shot he's in, and then creating a nearly identical model.

They do this a lot and I don’t get it. I adore alien covenant but Ridley made them make practical alien suits and creatures to cgi over them later…makes little sense but whatever you do you.

It makes a bit of sense thag the idea is to help the lighting and actors but if you’re going to through all of that might as well idk just shoot the suit

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The cult of the thorn is just the goddamn dumbest thing. I like weird cults springing up around monsters but it just absolutely does not work in Halloween.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

reminds me of one of the criminal CGI output they used for The Thing (2011). the whole thing had these insanely good goey physical props, but the end result ditches a lot of that in favor of motion-blurred CG

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was a lame studio thing where the audience didn’t like the effects so the studio just quickly slapped it over it all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

The cult of the thorn is just the goddamn dumbest thing. I like weird cults springing up around monsters but it just absolutely does not work in Halloween.
I like the Green reboot, where the cult is just Haddonfield.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

reminds me of one of the criminal CGI output they used for The Thing (2011). the whole thing had these insanely good goey physical props, but the end result ditches a lot of that in favor of motion-blurred CG

My house is having a Harbinger Down movie night so I'm looking forward to watching a bad movie with hopefully good effects. still deciding on what to double feature it with tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

VROOM VROOM posted:

My house is having a Harbinger Down movie night so I'm looking forward to watching a bad movie with hopefully good effects. still deciding on what to double feature it with tho

The effects are completely ruined by the bad cinematography and directing so it didn’t prove anything :(

And I’m a fan of ADI too

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

That was a lame studio thing where the audience didn’t like the effects so the studio just quickly slapped it over it all.
reminds me of Mel Brooks sending dailies back for one of his movies and the producers asked for changes and he replied "do not assume that me informing you about your production is me soliciting your opinions"

audience was dead wrong and every BTS shows it

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly now you got me wanting LavaShark vs Acidantula to be a real film...

Would you settle for Tubi classic Steven Kang's Sharks of the Corn?

It's bad. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still bad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just rewatched Unfriended: Dark Web and other than the AJ actor, everyone in this movie gives the kind of understated preformance you don't usually get from the pro-ams usually populating the no-budget Found Footage flicks, although this is more correctly an epistolary film rather than true FF.

I would unhesitatingly recommend this to literally anyone who likes thrillers or good-rear end filmmaking in general. The conceit of everything playing out on screens and the twists the movie enacts to get everyone's screens to stay on are absolutely harrowing.

Just a masterclass and it's almost a shame this was branded as an Unfriended sequel because it could easily stand on its own. It's my new "wow, you've never seen..." movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

reminds me of Mel Brooks sending dailies back for one of his movies and the producers asked for changes and he replied "do not assume that me informing you about your production is me soliciting your opinions"

audience was dead wrong and every BTS shows it

The one time I'm aware of focus grouping being right was when the audience wanted more fight scenes in Mortal Kombat so they added Reptile

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Phy posted:

The one time I'm aware of focus grouping being right was when the audience wanted more fight scenes in Mortal Kombat so they added Reptile

They also got it right on Little Shop of Horrors because the original stage ending (everyone dies, Audrey II wins) only works if, 30 seconds later, the entire cast appears, alive and smiling, to take a bow.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I was watching the director's cut a few months ago and my partner came in halfway through, and around the seven minute mark of kaiju Twoies rampaging through the city they finally remarked "I don't remember any of this."

When I asked them if they thought it at all strange that both of the leads got killed and eaten prior to that they remarked that they always turned the movie off after Steve Martin was gone anyway, which, fair.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hard disagree, the satire only works with the director's cut ending. Audiences just weren't ready for it yet.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Also did not know until recently that they actually filmed "Meek Shall Inherit" but it wasn't restored into the director's cut when the ending was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-IrrrDbOzs

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, I watched the original ending for the first time recently and it worked way better than the theatrical ending. Even just the fact that the theatrical ending is so abrupt, comes out of nowhere, and isn't set up anywhere else in the movie. The original ending has the set up earlier with Audrey's song, "Somewhere That's Green", that's reprised for the lead-up to Audrey's death. The theatrical just cuts that song out entirely, and kind of awkwardly edits the final confrontation with Audrey II and Seymour so that... Seymour just wins somehow, who cares, and then a quick cut to an unrelated happy ending.

The theatrical's what I grew up with, it's nice to have a happy ending once in a while, but everything about the original ending is so much better. Plus it matches the original movie's ending, and then tops it with that final sequence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Generally I feel Horror movies work best with happy or at least bittersweet endings but I'd say Little Shop of Horrors might be one of those rare exceptions

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I prefer things being resolved with something mildly uplifting but I'll be honest sometimes I'm just in for a loving downer. Like Hear No Evil or whatever that Dutch film was called. Just a total loving downer and nihilistic.

The more nihilistic the better some times.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like nihilism but Speak No Evil really didn't hit with me at all. I can't even really articulate why.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We stuck Cobweb on tonight, and spidey senses told me to check Does the Dog Die and yup, lots of upvotes on the ‘are there spiders’ question. The only details it gives are about the classroom scene with the glass, but a friend confirmed to my gf she doesn’t think I should watch. Are there a ton of scenes of the 8 legged bastards or is it just one or two? It looks a neat film and if I can just kinda watch around the arachnid stuff I’d like to keep watching.

I could never watch Enemy, and that kills me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

EL BROMANCE posted:

We stuck Cobweb on tonight, and spidey senses told me to check Does the Dog Die and yup, lots of upvotes on the ‘are there spiders’ question. The only details it gives are about the classroom scene with the glass, but a friend confirmed to my gf she doesn’t think I should watch. Are there a ton of scenes of the 8 legged bastards or is it just one or two? It looks a neat film and if I can just kinda watch around the arachnid stuff I’d like to keep watching.

I could never watch Enemy, and that kills me.

I mean its a film called Cobweb (for nebulous reasons) but I don't particularly remember there being any spider specific stuff in it. I think they showed some spiders. That's about it. I dunno its a fever dream of a movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks. Yeah I assumed the name wasn’t literal spider cobwebs originally but thought best to check. I’ll probably just try power through tomorrow. I can’t even watch the scene in The Beyond, and half of those are the most fake rubber bullshit possible!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1699504516159225915?s=46

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

They do this a lot and I don’t get it. I adore alien covenant but Ridley made them make practical alien suits and creatures to cgi over them later…makes little sense but whatever you do you.

It makes a bit of sense thag the idea is to help the lighting and actors but if you’re going to through all of that might as well idk just shoot the suit

It's so weird because they very slightly redesigned how Dracula looks in post but the changes aren't things you couldn't do for the guy in the suit! But like, they even replaced shots he's out of focus in the background. (The first ones are the real suit, the second ones are the VFX)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably didn't look good in motion, that's usually the issue

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

alf_pogs posted:

I've seen some of the pre-CGI footage and it was amazing. Not sure how legit it is, but I've heard rumor it was one of the studio execs who insisted on the CGI under the reason 'that's what the audience expects'.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I absolutely LOATHED the Cult of Thorn bullshit. It always felt like the person who came up with it either read the novelization of Halloween or sat through the TV edit and thought 'ooh let's readd that' despite it was only just runtime filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Probably didn't look good in motion, that's usually the issue

Neither does rushed CGI. The difference is, one has charm and the other does not.