Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pingui posted:

I tried dumping a random Washington postal code here: https://testinglocator.cdc.gov/ and supposedly Walgreens is an option.

Yeah I called them and they told me insurance doesn’t cover it so it’s $130 out of pocket.

The only way to get PCR test is to find an urgent care place and have symptoms because idk if exposure is enough. Then it will be billed to insurance (maybe?). I have no idea but there is no easy way to get a PCR test now if you’ve been exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

harrygomm posted:

i posted about a week ago that i had a pile of masks to give out for free, got one person asking for some, but i still have a ton. can anyone vet for a place or organization to which i can donate them that might be able to make use of them? i’m around portland if it makes any difference, don’t mind shipping if needed

Check with any local food pantries or shelters to see if they need them? Or maybe your local nurse's union since I know at least in CA they're struggling to get issued proper ppe.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

lol. I tried to find some commentary, any on the UK's policy (after getting not much about Europe generally) and found this from January:

5 pinnochios!! Oh it's 65+ now, not 50+.

lmao, yeah, it is pretty standard for Europe to gatekeep it pretty hard. :denmark: is no exception and has also moved the limit for the next booster up to 65+ :thumbsup:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Glumwheels posted:

Yeah I called them and they told me insurance doesn’t cover it so it’s $130 out of pocket.

The only way to get PCR test is to find an urgent care place and have symptoms because idk if exposure is enough. Then it will be billed to insurance (maybe?). I have no idea but there is no easy way to get a PCR test now if you’ve been exposed.

Sorry, that sucks. The good news is that cases will remain low.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but I found this linked CDC list of all the different states health departments:
https://www.cdc.gov/publichealthgateway/healthdirectories/healthdepartments.html

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kids are starting school again tomorrow and it seems worth checking on official guidance regarding the role of masks for in-person education:
CDC: Updated May 11, 2023

quote:

Masking
Wearing a well-fitting mask or respirator consistently and correctly reduces the risk of spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. At a high COVID-19 hospital admission level, universal indoor masking in schools and ECE programs is recommended, as it is in the community at-large.
Anyone who chooses to wear a mask or respirator should be supported in their decision to do so at any COVID-19 hospital admission level, including low. At a medium and high COVID-19 hospital admission level, people who are immunocompromised or at risk for getting very sick with COVID-19 should wear a mask or respirator that provides greater protection. Since wearing masks or respirators can prevent spread of COVID-19, people who have a household or social contact with someone at risk for getting very sick with COVID-19 (for example, a student with a sibling who is at risk) may also choose to wear a mask at any COVID-19 hospital admission level. Schools and ECE programs should consider flexible, non-punitive policies and practices to support individuals who choose to wear masks regardless of the COVID-19 hospital admission level.
NYC schools health guidance: seems to be current advice

quote:

Consider wearing a mask, especially in a crowded indoor setting particularly if your child has a medical condition that puts them at risk for severe COVID-19, or if they are around others who are at increased risk for COVID-19, such as grandparents or other older adults.
American Academy of Pediatrics: no update for 2023-2024 school year
NYS public health: defers to CDC guidance
NYC public health: no update for 2023-2024 school year

A number of public-health focused organizations haven't updated guidance for the current school year. At least semi-current CDC guidance clearly recommends that student mask usage should be supported, and NYC public school health guidance doesn't contradict it.

We'll continue to send our kids to school in masks although I am ambivalent about it. Why send kids into an environment where masks might be required? If air is potentially hazardous enough to require permanent masks it's too hazardous for children. The reality is we don't have a choice. We can't afford to have a parent quit their job and try to homeschool while waiting for clearer reinfection research or improved vaccines/treatments to become available.

Pingui posted:

Interesting development and good news for Nocturtle and anyone else in NY.
That is interesting, thanks for pointing it out. My kids' public NYC school at least was fairly good at providing masks if requested all through last year and teachers would often mask at the door etc.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pingui posted:

Sorry, that sucks. The good news is that cases will remain low.

I have one other option but it’s just not easy with my kids’ school schedule but gently caress it, no other choice. They can miss a half hour of school.

Absolutely amazing how this whole thing has become hosed and no one’s doing a drat thing about it.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's wastewater update covering the past three months using the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Bold lines are new since previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		OH	Sep-01	STEADY	Oak Harbor
Island		COUP	Sep-01	DOWN	Coupeville
Jefferson	PT	Aug-30	STEADY	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Aug-29	UP	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Aug-29	DOWN	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Aug-29	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Aug-29	DOWN	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Aug-29	DOWN	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Aug-30	STEADY	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Aug-30	UP	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Aug-29	STEADY	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Aug-29	DOWN	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Aug-28	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Aug-30	UP	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Aug-30	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Sep-01	DOWN	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Aug-31	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Aug-30	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	STEADY	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Aug-31	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Aug-31	DOWN	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Aug-30	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Aug-31	DOWN	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Aug-31	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Aug-31	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Sep-01	UP	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Sep-01	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Sep-01	UP	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Aug-30	UP	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Sep-01	UP	Pullman
Full set of images linked here: https://imgur.com/a/ewcHBfn

[edit] fixed Jefferson county in table

Zantie has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Sep 7, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We have the tools! We have a vaccine!

* You're not allowed to get the vaccine
* You're not allowed to get Paxlovid

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
well holy poo poo they actually did it. masks are back*

quote:

In a letter sent home to parents on Tuesday, Rosemary Hills Elementary School principal Rebecca Irwin Kennedy wrote that KN95 masks would be distributed and students and staff in “identified classes or activities” will be required to mask up while in school for the next 10 days “except when eating or drinking.”

The letter states that after a 10-day period, “masks will become optional again.”

* for a single classroom that has 3 or more reported cases, for only the next 10 days, does not include shared meal time

Baddog
May 12, 2001
At our school 2 kids in a van on a school trip tested +, so they said everyone who rode in that vehicle should wear a mask for a week.

Ehhh, I'll take whatever we can get at this point.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Deeply sorry that your kids will fall years behind their peers from masking for a week.

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

Indoor Dying posted:

Ok.

I wonder if my library has free tests still. That are probably also expired. gently caress hellworld

They were giving away RATs outside the library today that expire 9/8/2023. For the next two days, I will celebrate the tools and their availability

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Baddog posted:

I'll take whatever we can get at this point.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Baddog posted:

At our school 2 kids in a van on a school trip tested +, so they said everyone who rode in that vehicle should wear a mask for a week.

Ehhh, I'll take whatever we can get at this point.

again, I just adore that masking as something to protect yourself from COVID has been totally and utterly annihilated leaving masking as something you do only after you've contracted COVID

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I saw MASKS today. Usually it's rare to see one and there were multiple people wearing masks at the Quik Trip tonight.

Usually a sign that poo poo is getting pretty hairy.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rick posted:

I saw MASKS today. Usually it's rare to see one and there were multiple people wearing masks at the Quik Trip tonight.

Usually a sign that poo poo is getting pretty hairy.

all the ppl wearing masks are antivaxxers because otherwise they would trust their vaccination and wouldn't need to wear a mask and if they did have COVID they shouldn't need a mask because vaccinated people can't spread COVID

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

apparently the higher ups at work are preparing for the govt to shut us down temporarily due to covid around the beginning of winter

i havent read this thread with any regularity in about a year, what the heck is going on lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

blatman posted:

i havent read this thread with any regularity in about a year, what the heck is going on lol
Number is going up

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

blatman posted:

apparently the higher ups at work are preparing for the govt to shut us down temporarily due to covid around the beginning of winter

at each crucial point, the steps needed to be taken to control and defeat a pandemic were ignored in favor of the worst thing to do at any given point

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

bedpan posted:

at each crucial point, the steps needed to be taken to control and defeat a pandemic were ignored in favor of the worst thing to do at any given point

It's remarkable how quickly America was able to mobilize to support the virus.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bedpan posted:

Wouldn't your face have been red if Biden had mandated 2 weeks paid sick leave and expanded unemployment permanently, and then covid had dissappeared in 2021?
Think of all the great policies the dems wouldn't have been able to get done if he spent all his political capital on the flu.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2023/09/07/dont-tell-them-didnt-have-biden-jokes-not-wearing-mask-public/8393849001/

Biden can't even take pretend to take it seriously for 10 days. Color me surprised...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...%20July%2020%20(Reuters),to%20consider%20its%20own%20measure.

held up in the senate but overwhelmingly passed the house 351-69

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/DeltaNewsHub/status/1699420223407841751

Delta hires Top. Men.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...%20July%2020%20(Reuters),to%20consider%20its%20own%20measure.

held up in the senate but overwhelmingly passed the house 351-69

like, it'll buy you a little time maybe, but youre going to run into the same problem a year from now. what then? raise the retirement age to 69?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I was at a gas station earlier and there were 3 drunk guys harassing an overweight gentleman who was in gym clothes and was clearly post workout and it pissed the hell out of me. they switched to making fun of my mask but that felt better than harassing the other guys so I took it. sorry Buddy for not caving their domes n with my 12 pack

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

celadon posted:

like, it'll buy you a little time maybe, but youre going to run into the same problem a year from now. what then? raise the retirement age to 69?

sounds like a problem for next quarter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

celadon posted:

The more immediate problem is that the age ceiling of sixty‐five is an international standard. Many countries forbid pilots over this age from even overflying them.

Here’s a recent flight where a Canadian plane pointedly avoids Maine probably because the captain or first officer is over the age of sixty‐five. Canada has no statutory limit on pilot age.

It’s possible that the U.S. can strongarm other nations into changing their rules, but as it stands it’s a bit of an impediment to what they want to do.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Sep 7, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

blatman posted:

I think part of it may have to do with election season coming up again. The power structures are maybe getting flashes of realization how bad things are and feeling they may need to start pretending to do something about it again

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

From delta’s pilot training program

quote:

What's the average cost for the Propel Flight Academy?
The average cost for the program is approximately $84,000 training cost and an estimated $7,000 housing cost (if needed).  You will obtain all certificates and ratings necessary to earn a flight instructor job and ultimately become a Delta pilot. If you decide to join Propel by Delta, you will have the confidence in knowing your investment in your flight training is backed by a defined, accelerated timeline to a Delta career.

Why does no one want to become a pilot anymore 🤷‍♀️

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OttawaHospital/status/1699531741491233065

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

this is the worst September 11 ever

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

fosborb posted:

well holy poo poo they actually did it. masks are back*

* for a single classroom that has 3 or more reported cases, for only the next 10 days, does not include shared meal time
Stuff like this feels so crazy cause from a layman perspective the entire point of stuff like masking is to prevent (well reduce) the spread. It's not like a medicine you take to get better faster after getting sick you gotta be doing it before. I guess it shouldn't surprise me p much every corporate safety policy is less designed around actual safety and more a liability mitigation measure and the US is basically a giant corporation at this point but it just looks so silly reading dumb poo poo like this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australian hospital drops off a letter to all the inpatients asking them to consider their discharge options because the emergency department is overflowing with people waiting for a bed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-07/hobart-hospital-asks-patients-to-consider-leaving/102825922

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

"our comfortable transit lounge ." is a hell of a phrase

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

never forget (that COVID is over)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Are you sure these graphs are correct? They sure seem to imply that covid isn't over.

:nsa:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress joe biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I hope anyone who is on the fence about it contributes to public comment for ACIP tomorrow. We are going to need it, as much as it feels like screaming into the void.

Tzen posted:

gently caress joe biden

this too