Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

NeonPunk posted:

Wait, does this mean that salmonella isn't going to be the biggest concern for any undercooked chicken anymore?

It still will be, after all, this is just the flu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I'm sure its mild. Have you considered smiling? You can't be anxious and smile at the same time! Its physiological!

Iverron
May 13, 2012

newish pre print on BA.2.86

still highly transmissible, seems less infectious, but:

https://twitter.com/SystemsVirology/status/1699707550474936500

https://twitter.com/SystemsVirology/status/1699707555164062184

Iverron
May 13, 2012

in summary: this is the one you want to get

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

:rubby:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sleeping on the money quote there:
"Altogether, it is suggested that BA.2.86 is one of the most highly immune evasive variants ever and should have the potential to be considered as a variant of interest."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's remarkable how quickly America was able to mobilize to support the virus.

This is a Chinese bioweapon!

I demand we immediately surrender to the bioweapon!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I mean...this scans, right? Maybe it's a lot less infectious, but it's so immune-evasive that people have minimal protection against infection, whether they're vaccinated or have ~*hybrid immunity*~ etc.

If it (relatively) sucked at infecting people AND could be stopped by existing antibodies, I don't know how it would've even gotten off the ground.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

But that means that whole lot of people are either lying or wrong about the effectiveness of the XBB booster shots. That wouldn't happen would it?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
it’s definitely lying I don’t think they are that incompetent

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tzen posted:

it's incredible how bad his response has been, incredible, entirely predictable, and cruel
https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1699564589426360424seeing this clip today and i was just doing some of this

science status: followed

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oracle posted:

Sleeping on the money quote there:
"Altogether, it is suggested that BA.2.86 is one of the most highly immune evasive variants ever and should have the potential to be considered as a variant of interest."

Hmm, but I thought I just read that there is no evidence that any of the variants in circulation cause more severe disease or evade immunity adroitly enough to render vaccines ineffective.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
adroitly, pestilence

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

lmao at this headline:

“Remember, you can’t be anxious and smile at the same time. That’s a physiological thing,” Webber said.

What the flying gently caress is this poo poo?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zantie posted:

“Remember, you can’t be anxious and smile at the same time. That’s a physiological thing,” Webber said.

What the flying gently caress is this poo poo?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's smiles again

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
oh hey new thread

glad everything is still mild and over

ive had the weirdest sinus infection of my life the past few days that feels nothing like what ive had before with colds and whatnot because i don't feel sick because it doesnt seem to be related to any kind of sickness, i am pretty sure i just got turbofucked with a bunch of pollen due to circumstances. never actively avoided airborne diseases for years at a time before, so its exciting learning about other kinds of maladies that can hit you.

its just like one symptom of what is usually a whole bunch (headache, sinus pain) and it reminds me that i hate it and its much more straightforward than a head cold or whatever, and that i really don't miss being sick with some respiratory nonsense. why did we ever put up with it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Real Mean Queen posted:

As far as I can tell that's exactly what it is. Pausing to feel bad for a second before doing the bad thing anyway is more than somebody else did, and that means you're not the worst person in the world. Liberalism is about incremental improvement, so you can do all the same things as the worst person in the world as long as you feel weird about it for a second, because that's better than what somebody else did.

Yeah, libs have made it very clear they don't actually want leadership that doesn't do the bad things, they just want a mature adult who does the bad thing after consideration and feels torn by it or who puts on the right veneer.
Look at all of the Bush policies Obama just carried over, and then after that the Trump carryovers to Biden.
They don't even limit it to stuff like covid or immigration where you can hem and haw and pretend the world is different or "gosh we wanted to do something else, but the senate janitor refuses to replace the batteries on the vote buttons"
There's no reason Cuba and Iran should be continuations of Trump, hell if dem voters had object permanence they'd remember these used to be what they pointed to as proof red team was worse than blue.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Sep 7, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I'm eating lunch outside on a really nice day and suddenly I get a whiff of perfume and look up to see someone walking past like 30-40ft away. There's barely any breeze and the scent is gone like two seconds later.

I hate being on high alert. It's probably fine so I guess I'll smile harder to make this feeling go away :rolleyes: At least this semester hasn't had my lunch regularly ambushed by lost students asking where such-and-such building is.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hot witch divorcee posted:

oh hey new thread

glad everything is still mild and over

ive had the weirdest sinus infection of my life the past few days that feels nothing like what ive had before with colds and whatnot because i don't feel sick because it doesnt seem to be related to any kind of sickness, i am pretty sure i just got turbofucked with a bunch of pollen due to circumstances. never actively avoided airborne diseases for years at a time before, so its exciting learning about other kinds of maladies that can hit you.

its just like one symptom of what is usually a whole bunch (headache, sinus pain) and it reminds me that i hate it and its much more straightforward than a head cold or whatever, and that i really don't miss being sick with some respiratory nonsense. why did we ever put up with it

I've got something similar with an ear infection that has sucked for weeks now. Probably came from allergies, as I never tested positive for covid, but it's a terrible feeling. I love how I haven't gotten sick with any diseases for the past three and a half years, I'd rather wear a mask every day than have to deal with getting sick every six months.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Chamale posted:

I've got something similar with an ear infection that has sucked for weeks now. Probably came from allergies, as I never tested positive for covid, but it's a terrible feeling. I love how I haven't gotten sick with any diseases for the past three and a half years, I'd rather wear a mask every day than have to deal with getting sick every six months.

it really is just a better things arent possible thing that is beaten into everyone, like ive gotten a few more snide comments about my respie recently that i hadn't been getting for some time before that and its like i dont care dude life is better without entirely avoidable respiratory illness bullshit

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PoundSand posted:

Stuff like this feels so crazy cause from a layman perspective the entire point of stuff like masking is to prevent (well reduce) the spread. It's not like a medicine you take to get better faster after getting sick you gotta be doing it before. I guess it shouldn't surprise me p much every corporate safety policy is less designed around actual safety and more a liability mitigation measure and the US is basically a giant corporation at this point but it just looks so silly reading dumb poo poo like this.

not anymore lmao

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I've gotten sick a few times in the past few months (including right now) since we have our toddler doing things with other kids. So far Not Covid, but that's just a matter of time, since I'm clearly getting stuff that is less infectious. It owns that no matter how many precautions I take, I'm gonna continually get got through my kid.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

I've gotten sick a few times in the past few months (including right now) since we have our toddler doing things with other kids. So far Not Covid, but that's just a matter of time, since I'm clearly getting stuff that is less infectious. It owns that no matter how many precautions I take, I'm gonna continually get got through my kid.

That's just part of parenthood man. I got strep three times in one year from my daycare attending kids and being chronically sleep deprived long before covid or even SARS.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
being sick all the time is normal, man

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Oracle posted:

That's just part of parenthood man. I got strep three times in one year from my daycare attending kids and being chronically sleep deprived long before covid or even SARS.
Yeah, but now there's one more thing that has a nontrivial risk of long-term complications and is really good at reinfecting etc etc

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, but now there's one more thing that has a nontrivial risk of long-term complications and is really good at reinfecting etc etc

Yup. Thus why my kids still mask at school.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.regulations.gov/document/CDC-2023-0055-0001 Apparently posted back in July.

National Wastewater Surveillance System for COVID-19 and Other Infectious Disease Targets of Public Health Concern 2023-14413

"This notice invites comment on a proposed information collection project titled National Wastewater Surveillance System for COVID–19 and other infectious disease targets of public health concern. The proposed information collection project aims to collect pathogen and public health target concentration in wastewater, wastewater target variant sequencing data, sewershed spatial files, and associated sewershed-level case data from participating jurisdictions in the United States to inform infectious disease prevention and control efforts."

Awesome! Oh wait what's this?

"DATES: CDC must receive written comments on or before September 5, 2023."

jfc...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

on the plus side, at least it doesn't spread in schools

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Real Mean Queen posted:

As far as I can tell that's exactly what it is. Pausing to feel bad for a second before doing the bad thing anyway is more than somebody else did, and that means you're not the worst person in the world. Liberalism is about incremental improvement, so you can do all the same things as the worst person in the world as long as you feel weird about it for a second, because that's better than what somebody else did.

Yeah I think this is a very real thing. Your lib friends who are "very careful" but their social media is full of unmasked selfies at concerts and bars. I think this is what they are doing.

Louis CK had a bit about this where I think he's on a plane and thinks about saying "thank you for your service" to A Troop, doesn't say anything, and then gets smug about how even having the thought makes him superior to the other passengers. The he non consensually beats off in front of them I assume.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zantie posted:

https://www.regulations.gov/document/CDC-2023-0055-0001 Apparently posted back in July.

National Wastewater Surveillance System for COVID-19 and Other Infectious Disease Targets of Public Health Concern 2023-14413

"This notice invites comment on a proposed information collection project titled National Wastewater Surveillance System for COVID–19 and other infectious disease targets of public health concern. The proposed information collection project aims to collect pathogen and public health target concentration in wastewater, wastewater target variant sequencing data, sewershed spatial files, and associated sewershed-level case data from participating jurisdictions in the United States to inform infectious disease prevention and control efforts."

jfc...

is the proposal to create a better national wastewater surveillance system

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah it's this and the knowledge of knowing there's not a drat thing you can do about it, just sit and take it and oh well!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

jfc...
Yeah the CDC is coming out with an expanded panel for wastewater monitoring that includes antimicrobial resistance markers, Flu, RSV, potentially other pathogens like Candida, etc

The panel also nominally included monkeypox at one point, but the levels were insanely low and are hard to track.

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah it's this and the knowledge of knowing there's not a drat thing you can do about it, just sit and take it and oh well!
:nsa:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

at least we* have** the tools***!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zantie posted:

I'm eating lunch outside on a really nice day and suddenly I get a whiff of perfume and look up to see someone walking past like 30-40ft away. There's barely any breeze and the scent is gone like two seconds later.

I hate being on high alert. It's probably fine so I guess I'll smile harder to make this feeling go away :rolleyes: At least this semester hasn't had my lunch regularly ambushed by lost students asking where such-and-such building is.
just lol that any time i'm eating outside or running without a mask i'm hyper aware of wind movements and try to make sure i'm never downwind of anybody
normal things
lmao

Morbus
May 18, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

But that means that whole lot of people are either lying or wrong about the effectiveness of the XBB booster shots. That wouldn't happen would it?

The neutralizing activity of XBB breakthrough sera in that preprint is:

1.) Much better than any of the OG or bivalent vaccinated sera, which are escaped entirely

2.) About an order of magnitude worse than for EG.5.1. 7, which is an alias for some XBB.1.9 sublineage

So overall I think in line with expectations.

I would also think, given what we've seen in the past, that the XBB booster would do better if you get more than one dose, spaced appropriately.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

I mean...this scans, right? Maybe it's a lot less infectious, but it's so immune-evasive that people have minimal protection against infection, whether they're vaccinated or have ~*hybrid immunity*~ etc.

If it (relatively) sucked at infecting people AND could be stopped by existing antibodies, I don't know how it would've even gotten off the ground.

that makes sense to me. if it didn't have at least something going for it then we'd have never heard about it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Morbus posted:

The neutralizing activity of XBB breakthrough sera in that preprint is:

1.) Much better than any of the OG or bivalent vaccinated sera, which are escaped entirely

2.) About an order of magnitude worse than for EG.5.1. 7, which is an alias for some XBB.1.9 sublineage

So overall I think in line with expectations.

I would also think, given what we've seen in the past, that the XBB booster would do better if you get more than one dose, spaced appropriately.

No novavax in the study?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Fat-roll your way to a better future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

any chance anyone's recently spotted anything new/of interest (studies / trials / lab results / measurements / etc.) re: either 222nm far uvc or iota carrageenan

gonna look myself now too but just in case i miss something