Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Going from the Slasher Glut of the 80s, then you could argue the slasher subgenre was dead. However, the Horror genre's very responsive to audience tastes compared to movies in general. Whether it's from having a specific audience or on average horror's quicker to make, who knows? When slashers were starting to get tired, the general shift went to whatever subgenre was next. Slasher films still happened, but nowhere near as much as during the Glut until Scream turned the interest back.

(Not singling you out, you’re just a good person to quote)

I think if we compared raw numbers per year on how many horror movies are “one or more people with a weapon” vs any given other subtype of horror movie (e.g “werewolf movies”), talking about slashers ever being dead is going to look like a ridiculous statement.

I guarantee you that if I go back in time year-by-year it will be significantly harder to find a year or years with no slasher films than if we did this with like, fish-people.

Satan and ghosts are the only things I think might be comparable.

gently caress I might have just talked myself into a project.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yes, we do need more fish people slashers with ties to Satan

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now I'm curious about the slasher/vampire ratio in any given year. I'm not even sure when to start tracking slashers. Blood Feast, I guess?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Not singling you out, you’re just a good person to quote)

I think if we compared raw numbers per year on how many horror movies are “one or more people with a weapon” vs any given other subtype of horror movie (e.g “werewolf movies”), talking about slashers ever being dead is going to look like a ridiculous statement.

I guarantee you that if I go back in time year-by-year it will be significantly harder to find a year or years with no slasher films than if we did this with like, fish-people.

Satan and ghosts are the only things I think might be comparable.

gently caress I might have just talked myself into a project.

gently caress.

Halloween Jack posted:

Now I'm curious about the slasher/vampire ratio in any given year. I'm not even sure when to start tracking slashers. Blood Feast, I guess?

Actually, that would be interesting to see. What are the ratios of subgenre trends over time in Horror.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yes, we do need more fish people slashers with ties to Satan

What about a film adaptation of The Shadow over Innsmouth as a slasher?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slashers will never go away because a rubber knife and Karo syrup is a lot cheaper than multiple full-body costumes or puppets and puppeteers.

Also worth noting in any statistical study, there are ~2300 horror films on Letterboxed for the entire decade of the 90s while there are 1400 horror films just in 2022*. Filmmaking got exponetially cheaper and that's going to trend towards certain film types (and monster types) because when your only cost is production, not film or post, you're going to select projects that are achievable on zero budget.

You'd have to additionally filter by, say "has 1000+ ratings" to make sure you weren't catching 500 Z-budget movies that somehow got on Letterboxd despite never receiving a theatrical or even home video release.

*filters include "hide docs, short films and unreleased to further slim the actual options

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 7, 2023

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

CelticPredator posted:

People love stabbing.

Everyone says this right up until it's them getting stabbed. Then suddenly I'm the bad guy. Excuse me for just giving the people what they want.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MariusLecter posted:

What about a film adaptation of The Shadow over Innsmouth as a slasher?

That's Dagon

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

PYF Forgotten Sitcoms:

Opopanax posted:

That's Dagon

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

PYF Forgotten Sitcoms:
a-cha-cha-cha!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

what gets me is him shooting the trampoline scene like it’s the most iconic horror moment and just a super funny joke.

I mean, he stole it from Cutting Class where it is presented as a funny joke.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For me alf the charm of the original trailer was the VO, like a coroner who'd been inhaling sulfur hexafluoride

Thanksgiving.

You'll be coming home.

In a bodybag.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How much of the creep show score is used in the new trailer?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Phy posted:

For me alf the charm of the original trailer was the VO, like a coroner who'd been inhaling sulfur hexafluoride

Thanksgiving.

You'll be coming home.

In a bodybag.

Now I want to see a episode of Alf where he is possessed by a alien spirit and the whole family is hunted down while he tries to eat them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

Slashers will never go away because a rubber knife and Karo syrup is a lot cheaper than multiple full-body costumes or puppets and puppeteers.

Also worth noting in any statistical study, there are ~2300 horror films on Letterboxed for the entire decade of the 90s while there are 1400 horror films just in 2022*. Filmmaking got exponetially cheaper and that's going to trend towards certain film types (and monster types) because when your only cost is production, not film or post, you're going to select projects that are achievable on zero budget.

You'd have to additionally filter by, say "has 1000+ ratings" to make sure you weren't catching 500 Z-budget movies that somehow got on Letterboxd despite never receiving a theatrical or even home video release.

*filters include "hide docs, short films and unreleased to further slim the actual options

It really does go unremarked how the horror boom of the 80's absolutely salted the earth for the 90's, but that was probably for the best.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

X sure is another Ti West movie. I feel bad, my top review on Letterboxed by stars is me just absolutely savaging the 2/3rds of House of the Devil that I made it through, and this is more of the same. West is a truly gifted chameleon and far better at Brett Ratner's schtick of "tell me what director you want this film to look like," but his pacing still absolutely sucks and his script, while fun, has absolutely zero swerves or surprises. You clock what's happening in the first 5 minutes, and then indeed everything does go down that way!

Wish I liked West's stuff better or got out of it what others are getting, but he's just a really, really good director who refuses to apply his talents to anything other than homages to older eras of film and dogshit slow-burn stories.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The homages and slow burns get me and I enjoy his work well enough, but I will say Pearl is leagues better than anything else I've seen of his and I have to wonder if that's because Mia Goth helped write it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The homages and slow burns get me and I enjoy his work well enough, but I will say Pearl is leagues better than anything else I've seen of his and I have to wonder if that's because Mia Goth helped write it.
Mia Goth is an absolute treat, loved her since A Cure for Wellness, a movie that was specifically made for me personally and I love it but also I totally understand why it absolutely bommmmmmmbed (things I like are not commercially viable :() She brings the sort of ethereal otherness that you only get from models-turned-actresses who don't quite work the same way normal human bodies do. The poise trained into them over a decade can be reduced but never truly hidden.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s me, the other guy who liked A Cure For Wellness.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

EL BROMANCE posted:

It rules, I loved it.

And I actually really liked X and thought it was a very funny dark comedy but Pearl is so much better.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it's quite popular around here. I liked it a lot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Loved cure for wellness. Gore Verbinski is underrated. Love his pirates movies. That’s the last time anyone brought that kind of weird creative insanity to a Disney film

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I think it's quite popular around here. I liked it a lot

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Loved cure for wellness. Gore Verbinski is underrated. Love his pirates movies. That’s the last time anyone brought that kind of weird creative insanity to a Disney film

Same with Mousehunt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Classic film there yeah

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I said earlier we really need an adaptation of Michael McDowell's Blackwater as it's a masterpiece of horror literature, there's just the issue that due to how it's paced(takes place over the course of multiple decades with often both years and chapters between any actual horror happening*) it probably would work better as a mini series or even full on TV series than as a movie

*though when they do show up they are very effective

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His novel The Elementals could make a pretty good movie.

Wouldn't be very expensive either as it takes almost entirely in one location.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same with Mousehunt.

This film (and Shrek) were the bane of my childhood. I remember finding them both viscerally unpleasant and must have sat through both of them at least ten times a piece (not by choice).

I should probably revisit Mousehunt though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Shrecknet posted:

X sure is another Ti West movie. I feel bad, my top review on Letterboxed by stars is me just absolutely savaging the 2/3rds of House of the Devil that I made it through, and this is more of the same. West is a truly gifted chameleon and far better at Brett Ratner's schtick of "tell me what director you want this film to look like," but his pacing still absolutely sucks and his script, while fun, has absolutely zero swerves or surprises. You clock what's happening in the first 5 minutes, and then indeed everything does go down that way!

Wish I liked West's stuff better or got out of it what others are getting, but he's just a really, really good director who refuses to apply his talents to anything other than homages to older eras of film and dogshit slow-burn stories.

I am a massive Ti West fan. For me, I think he creates really strong and likable characters that you want to spend time with. Pearl was (to me) his best movie so far and that's because Mia Goth loving crushed it, Pearl is equal parts pitiable and disturbing and you want to see what happens to her by the end. I don't necessarily need swerves or surprises if everything is constructed so well and I'm having fun with it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

I am a massive Ti West fan. He creates really strong and likable characters that you want to spend time with.
Absolutely agree, he's really great with character work and design. I just massively hate movies that are going for tone piece/rumination and want something that's visceral and exciting. It's why I hate Pink Floyd and love NOFX. Get to the goddamn point, I don't need your noodling around for an hour on bullshit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/fangoria/status/1700137807497617847?s=46

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rip

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i thought X was just okay and that Pearl absolutely blew it out of the water, which does make me really curious how I'll feel about Maxxxine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm rooting for Maniac meets Showgirls

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I should probably revisit Mousehunt though.

There's a lot of dark humor in it for a family film. And there's the question of how old the mouse is considering the hints are it's like Mr. Jangles lifespan old.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm rooting for Maniac meets Showgirls

I'm rooting for Boogie Nights meets Assault on Precinct 13. Maxxxine's crazy Christian cult family is definitely going to play a part, I feel.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I bring one piece of good news about The Nun 2: There is a goatman. An honest-to-god goatman.

Otherwise, it's exactly what you expect, including the two best jumpscares being in the trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought X was just okay and that Pearl absolutely blew it out of the water, which does make me really curious how I'll feel about Maxxxine.

Pearl has a couple of annoying Grindhouse Flourishes (tm) but they're right around the start of the movie, then it settles into a real movie for the rest of the runtime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I bring one piece of good news about The Nun 2: There is a goatman. An honest-to-god goatman.

Otherwise, it's exactly what you expect, including the two best jumpscares being in the trailer.

Does it have the ring????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Does he whistle far and wee?