Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honestly most people I meet and talk to aren't toxic at all. Your mileage may vary, my experience is mostly small gang stuff in null and elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Elukka posted:

Honestly most people I meet and talk to aren't toxic at all. Your mileage may vary, my experience is mostly small gang stuff in null and elsewhere.

Its always just a few bad apples, they just tend to naturally congregate and make it look worse than it really is.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.

floppyspud posted:

Its always just a few bad apples, they just tend to naturally congregate and make it look worse than it really is.

and as we all know, the saying is "a few bad apples and there's nothing to worry about, the rest are fine probably"

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

twigplant posted:

and as we all know, the saying is "a few bad apples and there's nothing to worry about, the rest are fine probably"

That was my first thought too, haha. Like, "isn't there more to that sentence?"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PhilippAchtel posted:

I helped a cute newbie kill Kritsan Parthus and Dagan in the SoE epic arc when they shouted for help in local a few weeks ago.

It was a very wholesome interaction between strangers in an otherwise rather toxic game, but it sticks out for that reason. :3:

Stories like this always make me a bit melancholic. It makes me remember the time when I was a newbie having trouble with Dagan myself. But because I have the wrong type of personality to ask for help, I simply looked at my tools, realized I could do more damage by putting five weapons of the same range into my Thorax, failed again, looked again at my options, realized blasters did more damage and fit them instead, put in a couple combat drones for good measure, and finally won. This took me about an hour longer than it should have, and my Thorax died to Dagan nearly three times.

At no point during this ordeal did I ever think of the possibility to just ask for help. IN D&D terms, I think that would make my alignment Chaotic Stupid.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
The few bad apples give off ethylene gas which activates the ripening/racist genes in the other apples

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dalmuti posted:

The few bad apples give off ethylene gas which activates the ripening/racist genes in the other apples

It's more like rot. Rotten or moldy apples will slowly spread their rot around, which is why you have to remove them fast, if you want to save the other apples.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

For the OP:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

twigplant posted:

Im not saying theres nothing to worry about, im saying that (hopefully) a large majority of eve players are not lovely people.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

floppyspud posted:

Im not saying theres nothing to worry about, im saying that (hopefully) a large majority of eve players are not lovely people.

in my experience they're not, but become moreso the further into leadership positions you go. Id say a majority of bloc leadership all around the game are slimy, or have some glaring personality disorders, while the average line members for a group or rando empire space pve people are just regular people.

the things that make eve different are the single shard for all players, along with the time investment into a character and your reputation making it difficult/impossible to evade harassment/abuse/stalking without either a huge expense and amount of effort ( that can be undone by one alt-spy recognizing your voice on chat, or seeing you with familiar people in a familiar fit on a KM etc. so to really lose whoever's after you, the only option is a full witness protection style disconnect, which is loving excessive for a videogame, and results in people being stuck "dealing with it" ) or abandoning the game entirely

this fuels sorts of "information/psychological warfare", that can easily cross the bounds of the game into irl because it does work inasmuch as results go, particularly if someone simply wants to harm someone or ruin the game for them ( it's insane and wicked to do ofc., but psychos dgaf)

which makes the investment into harassment and stalking that much more "rewarding", drawing in the worst of the worst and encouraging them to go as far as they can because there's a lack of consequences for terrible behavior that would exist irl, sociopathy & sadism sandbox

the other part of it: the player run economy and player controlled territory & complex, heirarchy driven organizational structures combined with a persistent single shard create an enormous potential for abuse of power since a player can have so much more leverage than is possible in most games, and a motive for conflicts and hostility inbetween groups that goes way beyond the usual MMO drama. most MMO guilds dont have enemy guilds, most large eve orgs have several, and Hatfield/McCoy style mutual hatred is not uncommon at all

group conflict opens up a lot of avenues for people who otherwise wouldn't go so far to find a rationalization to. the groupthink, peer-reinforcement and tribalism creates a massive and very easily manufactured psychological justification to go overboard, which encourages a lot more bad behavior if a group has amoral leadership which encourages/doesn't discourage that mindset & makes it easier for bad leadership to maintain control ( us or with them, accusations of being schismatics or enemies of the people, etc)

which attracts people who behave that way, and they tend to excel ingame and find themselves in positions of power for the same reasons amoral, self-serving, manipulative people do IRL, and then abuse that power and enable all of the other psychos for the same reasons they do IRL

in short the structure of the game allows for and rewards much worse irl behavior than can even exist in most other games, at both the individual and group level. so the very worst of it has a much, much lower floor than any other game, even if most people playing it just wanna fly space ships with their friends and don't take part in any of that stuff or want to

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Elukka posted:

you must not know these guys (idk how to spoiler images so someone tell me if there's a better way)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

honestly that's tame for a trumper these days

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

is that one from the dump of poo poo that included the SLOW people posting pedophile memes that google docs nuked almost as fast as the /r/eve mods did or is that different examples of SLOW being a trashfire of subchuds

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

i'm actually not sure bc i didn't see the initial SLOW leak. there's lots of stuff in this one about telling trans people to offline themselves in various ways, lots of discussion about how drag queens and gays are pedos, a few mentions of final solutioning gays, a hilarious amount of lionizing tucker carlson lol.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

twigplant posted:

i'm actually not sure bc i didn't see the initial SLOW leak. there's lots of stuff in this one about telling trans people to offline themselves in various ways, lots of discussion about how drag queens and gays are pedos, a few mentions of final solutioning gays, a hilarious amount of lionizing tucker carlson lol.

that sounds like a bigger version of the initial sl0w leak, yeah

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022
iirc there was also a lot of anti jew stuff too

just absolute waste of an existence

anyways delta sqad strikes again

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

twigplant posted:

you must not know these guys (idk how to spoiler images so someone tell me if there's a better way)
Well, yeah, I was talking about my experience. I interact with my own little group where any hypothetical chuds would get booted very quickly, along with whoever I run into in game. I'm not saying the game doesn't have people who suck.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

twigplant posted:

tbqh playing adam offline is a pro move regardless of one's gender identity, doubly so if it means you have more time to kiss people of your preferred flavor (or just touch some grass if you don't like smoochin').

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I'm trying to think of how many ops I've been on in the big null blocks where I haven't heard some sort of casual racism or misogyny. Whenever it bubbles up along with last week's taco bell the incredibly clever solution is just to tell them to shut up because it's adjacent to The Forbidden Topic.

I don't think booting these people or lecturing them will magically undo all that cultural inertia so I get why we have landed on this imperfect solution, but it's been pretty ubiquitous in my experience.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

ragnarokette posted:

I'm trying to think of how many ops I've been on in the big null blocks where I haven't heard some sort of casual racism or misogyny. Whenever it bubbles up along with last week's taco bell the incredibly clever solution is just to tell them to shut up because it's adjacent to The Forbidden Topic.

I don't think booting these people or lecturing them will magically undo all that cultural inertia so I get why we have landed on this imperfect solution, but it's been pretty ubiquitous in my experience.

Incorrect.

You should kick their rear end to the curb.

Awox them too for good measure.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Also find a better Corp that doesn't put up with that poo poo.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Incorrect.

You should kick their rear end to the curb.

Awox them too for good measure.

But FC I only fly logi like a good egirl.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I just saw your tag and bothered to read your name. Now i feel bad cause you did join a better corp

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I just saw your tag and bothered to read your name. Now i feel bad cause you did join a better corp

It's ok I will forgive you for this rash moment of assumption, which certainly never happens on the internet. :honk:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

This is the eve thread afterall

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

pros: we're not racist/sexist/LGBTQ-phobic
cons: after the leadership shakeup, we're now run by a triumvirate of d-name posters

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

cons: after the leadership shakeup, we're now run by a triumvirate of d-name posters

d in name, s in tier.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

twigplant posted:

day of the rope is directly from the Turner Diaries btw for anyone behind on their Hitler Cinematic Universe canon. had no other uses (spoiler bc nazi stuff & incel suicide stuff) it's the prophesized day the True Whites 'wake up' and hang all the "race traitors" along with ofc. all their black, latino, jewish, gay, leftist, fed etc. 'enemies'. the term has a lots of crossover with modern incel culture, where suicide and suicidal ideation is so common the act has become referred to as 'roping' oneself and refrains such as 'the day of the rope or i rope' are common. fun stuff!

so there's two calls for mass killing & genocide in that one message. seems like a cool guy, assuming he'll be on the csm soon

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

d in name, s in tier.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
That's anti d name discrimination, tone

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

d in name, s in tier.

:hmmyes:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

d in name, s in tier.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

d in name, s in tier.

:hmmyes:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Big PaDDy also arguably a D name? :tinfoil:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

from a bcd to a ddd

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ragnarokette posted:

Big PaDDy also arguably a D name? :tinfoil:

dabigredpaddy

(sorry homie i had to i didn't mean it)

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

dragonshardz posted:

from a bcd to a ddd

Buoyancy control device?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

floppyspud posted:

Buoyancy control device?

bigpaddy, corgski, and me to d'ceet, dietinghippo, and...???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

bigpaddy, corgski, and me to d'ceet, dietinghippo, and...???

it me