Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

I'm kinda surprised how many people absolutely love it. To me it feels like reading 8 books at the same time chapter by chapter but I can't just finish ONE book at a time

im really good at reading books. so this is a game meant to challenge book readers, hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i think a lot of people doing this party member poo poo arent realizing that plenty of people first played these games as young children. so yes absolutely people used the big guy with the cool axe and the guy with a cool gun lmfao. come on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i think a lot of people doing this party member poo poo arent realizing that plenty of people first played these games as young children. so yes absolutely people used the big guy with the cool axe and the guy with a cool gun lmfao. come on.

We're just riffing man have some chill lol

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I didn't really use Blanka in Xenogears all that much.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Taear posted:

I'm kinda surprised how many people absolutely love it. To me it feels like reading 8 books at the same time chapter by chapter but I can't just finish ONE book at a time
it legitimately has good writing, voice acting, and an entertaining supporting cast to help paper over that stuff

octo 1 simply did not have much of that c'est'la'vie

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's kind of liberating to see a new party member and know instantly they're going to live on the bench forever

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Looper posted:

it's kind of liberating to see a new party member and know instantly they're going to live on the bench forever
Until the game pulls a BoF2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

Amarant

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Heck, I'm gonna say it. I enjoy it when rpgs force me to use the crappier characters.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lol this is exactly what I was thinking

Srice posted:

Heck, I'm gonna say it. I enjoy it when rpgs force me to use the crappier characters.

honestly I kinda feel the same, but BoF2 is particularly rough where iirc with at least one of the forced-use situations you aren't really given any means to level that character, so you can be pretty completely screwed if you didn't use them and had no idea it was coming

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Srice posted:

Play Beyond the Beyond. :unsmigghh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

honestly I kinda feel the same, but BoF2 is particularly rough where iirc with at least one of the forced-use situations you aren't really given any means to level that character, so you can be pretty completely screwed if you didn't use them and had no idea it was coming

There is a way around it insomuch as if you immediately benched Sten and never used him again until that point there's a basement in that area you can grind in and then you can go back up for free heals. It's annoying but thankfully ultimately manageable.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Play Beyond the Beyond. :unsmigghh:

Heck, that's the best argument I've ever heard for playing it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Looper posted:

That was Regal from Symphonia for me. Actually keeping his battle participation percentage at 0% was amusing to see.

Presea ended up there after being used once, I think her percentage was like 0.2%.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

TurnipFritter posted:

I didn't really use Blanka in Xenogears all that much.

Veeg was a number 1 Rico fan during his xenogears playthrough and everyone was like wtf lol

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Rico's Gear was loving hideous and his Omnigear upgrade only made it worse

They did that man so dirty

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I always felt kinda bad for the developers that playable Regal has a unique movelist and playstyle that probably got seen by like, 1% of the playerbase. More if you include the people who did his colleseum trials I guess.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Perhaps Xenogears would have been better if it was a visual novel that culled half the useless playable cast, since it cared more about the villains anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you want to play Xenogears focused on the heroes just play Xenoblade 3.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Only a third of Moebius were all that good, and they definitely needed a better backstory for the Canadian in charge.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

What's hilarious about this is I just watched a couple of speedruns of this game where Amarant was their main damage dealer.

FFT has a good chunk of characters people never use also. Rafa and Malak are the obvious ones, but I always feel bad for Meliadoul for being probably the most central party member to main plot but coming so late, including after the character with all of her moves and all of two other characters' moves.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Another issue with Meliadoul is that even if she had her entire skillset, you're nearing the point where if you are actually fighting a human, it's one with the maintenance skill equipped or as a boss job passive. I think in the PSX release, if you didn't break the armour slot, you did no damage.

I end up benching a lot of named characters in FFT regardless. I start planning my party of generics pretty early so even when some of the better characters show up, I don't really have a need for them. I usually plan around Agrias though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Another issue with Meliadoul is that even if she had her entire skillset, you're nearing the point where if you are actually fighting a human, it's one with the maintenance skill equipped or as a boss job passive. I think in the PSX release, if you didn't break the armour slot, you did no damage.

I end up benching a lot of named characters in FFT regardless. I start planning my party of generics pretty early so even when some of the better characters show up, I don't really have a need for them. I usually plan around Agrias though.

All the Divine Knight skills did damage, but only if they had equipment in that slot, making her basically useless.

I think everyone used TG Cid their first playthrough, but when I replay I usually bench him for Agrias.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fft is kind of the worst intersection of uniques + generics design because building up the generics is like the most enjoyable part of the game's mechanics, and only a few uniques are useful enough that you'd really find yourself wanting to use them, and the game doesn't try to write any of them into anything important after they join so you're not losing out on that much by leaving them out of the fight anyway. turns your unit selection into a weird purgatory for characters who might as well already be dead

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Full unique runs are pretty fun, and even though you don't get Black Mages with the Samurai skill teleporting around and blowing up everyone, a group of Ramza, Agrias, Mustadio, Beowulf and Worker 8 are plenty strong enough to beat everything with their base jobs.

But it's still deliberately limiting and you still have the problem of raising a character from the start to dump them in the final act for a character arguably less useful than them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rhapsody 3 might have the dullest combat I've ever played in an RPG, at least most games that expect you to auto through 99% of it makes combat breif instead of making you watch every one of your 16 party members take their turn one by one.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I love that Xenogears introduces Rico as a champion of prison fight club and he beats you up in an unwinnable scripted fight, then about 20 minutes later he's a party member who goes down in maybe 2 hits from any random encounter. I hated that at the time, but now it's funny to me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

OddObserver posted:

highfort is the worst because of it haha

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've always wanted a game like FFT with a mix of uniques and generics, but with more of a mechanical divide between them. Like you field six units, but two have to be unique and four are generic, or there's some sort of "recovery" system where after a unit has been in x number of battles, they have to be benched for a battle or two, or something along that lines. I always really liked both the unique classes, and being able to pair whatever classes I wanted for maximum shenanigans, but yeah they never felt like they lived well in the same game.

Full unique runs are pretty fun, and even though you don't get Black Mages with the Samurai skill teleporting around and blowing up everyone, a group of Ramza, Agrias, Mustadio, Beowulf and Worker 8 are plenty strong enough to beat everything with their base jobs.

But it's still deliberately limiting and you still have the problem of raising a character from the start to dump them in the final act for a character arguably less useful than them.

I think that was actually my party for most of my last playthrough, with my sixth slot usually occupied by a generic who I think was actually just a Chemist with Calculator skills

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rico is introduced for and primarily associated with a long sewer dungeon, the gravest of JRPG sins.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Chained Echoes is on gamepass! this is huge

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Chained Echoes is on gamepass! this is huge

Still only had a chance to play it for a minute, too many dang games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
symphony of war is literally like the one game where the mix of generics and uniques did not bother me on some level

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ogre battle was good about that because you literally don't get enough uniques to fill out an army so you can make them squad leaders for the personal snippets, maybe make one or two squads full of friends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

symphony of war is literally like the one game where the mix of generics and uniques did not bother me on some level
soul nomad's handling is good because you use the uniques as squad leaders and the generics as the units in their squad which works well enough

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Looper posted:

ogre battle was good about that because you literally don't get enough uniques to fill out an army so you can make them squad leaders for the personal snippets, maybe make one or two squads full of friends

SoW really made the most of that old Ogre Battle DNA and landed this better than anything.

Now I really just want a new Ogre Battle tbh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
phantom brave's approach is funny because you won't get most of the uniques until the post game anyway and because of how the game handles units marona is the only unique who really matters

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

MockingQuantum posted:

I've always wanted a game like FFT with a mix of uniques and generics, but with more of a mechanical divide between them. Like you field six units, but two have to be unique and four are generic

This was supposedly one of the most frustrating "features" of The Last Remnant on 360, because you needed to use a unique to lead a squad and could only fill it out with generics. One of the things praised about the PC release was that getting patched out. If you have much at all in the way of uniques, being forced to bench most of them most of the time kinda sucks. As a self-imposed challenge it could be more interesting.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

OddObserver posted:

Thanks, I just had DQVII flashbacks. gently caress that entire Melvin/Mervyn sequence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

disposablewords posted:

This was supposedly one of the most frustrating "features" of The Last Remnant on 360, because you needed to use a unique to lead a squad and could only fill it out with generics. One of the things praised about the PC release was that getting patched out. If you have much at all in the way of uniques, being forced to bench most of them most of the time kinda sucks. As a self-imposed challenge it could be more interesting.

you still get far more uniques than you do party slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I've always wanted a game like FFT with a mix of uniques and generics, but with more of a mechanical divide between them. Like you field six units, but two have to be unique and four are generic, or there's some sort of "recovery" system where after a unit has been in x number of battles, they have to be benched for a battle or two, or something along that lines. I always really liked both the unique classes, and being able to pair whatever classes I wanted for maximum shenanigans, but yeah they never felt like they lived well in the same game.

I think that was actually my party for most of my last playthrough, with my sixth slot usually occupied by a generic who I think was actually just a Chemist with Calculator skills

The Warcraft 3 of tactics games...