Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I really appreciate that they explicitly show Rand knowing that Lanfear is channeling but not being able to see the weaves. That was a nice touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ardlen posted:

I'm a big fan of how TV Rand actually has some agency about learning to channel. Book Rand basically muddled through before Lanfear got fed up with him and handed Asmodean to Rand on a silver platter.

looks like moiraine got fed up instead :shobon:

neutral tomato
May 24, 2007

i am on a great adventure.
did anyone also notice that Bayle Domon mention the “seal of the moon” breaking in Cairhein? this was Lanfear’s seal obviously, but I’m really liking that extra layering of her symbols!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

that ep was sick!!! great moments all around, Selene/lanfear is crushing it

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

eke out posted:

and if it's an injection of True Power then it is also essentially the Dark One's will being directly worked on the world, right? so it's pretty thematically appropriate: it's the literal devil reaching into the pattern and undoing their death

On a second watch, at the end, Right before she moves, Lanfear's eyes have the flurry of black saa specks associated with the true power show up, so looks like you're spot on. That or she just healed herself because the true power breaks all the normal rules.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pik_d posted:

Nynaeve vs goth mommy Moghedien please

For some reason I've always seen moghedien as evil velma.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

On a second watch, at the end, Right before she moves, Lanfear's eyes have the flurry of black saa specks associated with the true power show up, so looks like you're spot on. That or she just healed herself because the true power breaks all the normal rules.

yeah exactly i saw that and went OH that's what those spots they're always talking about with Moridin are supposed to look like

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought the Hopper scene was really well done.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Data Graham posted:

For sure, probably perrins best scene in the series so far.

Also enjoying the occasional Cadsuane namedrops. Just planting the seeds…

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who is going to play Cadsuane?

Show rules regardless.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

withak posted:

Who is going to play Cadsuane?

Show rules regardless.

shohreh aghdashloo has been spotted on set in Prague…

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

shohreh aghdashloo has been spotted on set in Prague…

I could get behind this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For show predictions: The pacing and story is all over the place. Moiraine goes thru the red doorway in the season finale and Rosamund Pike bows out of the series (maybe to return in a future finale). Lanfear is killing it, I can see somehow her sticking around to bounce off Rand.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Hughmoris posted:

For show predictions: The pacing and story is all over the place. Moiraine goes thru the red doorway in the season finale and Rosamund Pike bows out of the series (maybe to return in a future finale). Lanfear is killing it, I can see somehow her sticking around to bounce off Rand.

Rosamund Pike is a producer so she will still be attached to the show either way. They can always do New Spring scenes as cold opens for when she is gone. Probably will only be a season.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Data Graham posted:

it made me grin like sonofabitch that's for sure.

I hope they don't sideline Rosie, she's a great anchor and I love watching her doing cold rear end poo poo. That's a change I wouldn't mind

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Brolander posted:

it made me grin like sonofabitch that's for sure.

I hope they don't sideline Rosie, she's a great anchor and I love watching her doing cold rear end poo poo. That's a change I wouldn't mind

Just in case you're like me and didn't see it at first because your TV doesn't handle darks very well, here's an image from the very end of Episode 4.

That is a great detail.

Edit: Also, what do you think She was getting ready to do there at the end? A friend of mine thought bonding, but that seems very out of character for Lanfear. She wants LTT to admit he was wrong. Just making him say it holds no call to her.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

silvergoose posted:

That sequence is so amazing end to end

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Good character ep all around, very much a "we gotta start these pieces all moving towards the end," vibe. The end is definitely a big departure from the books, and maybe a little tropey, but Selene has been great so more of her ain't no thang. Especially liked how Moiraine's sister showed how the Game of Houses can tie in to the frantic pace of the show.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just gonna point out shanking is very on-brand for Moiraine

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Also that when Egwene first dreamt of Lanfear she dreamt of a woman whose eyes shone like the moon, and when they were outside that's exactly what was going on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I wasn't feeling the first half of that episode but the back half turned it around big time. Lanfear reveal was perfect, the freaky editing in the Ishy/Min scene was fantastic and after being iffy about Perrin's new vision powers I love how they explained it here.

I'm pretty sure the Cairhien group is going to end up in Falme by the end of the season. Mat needs to get there for the Horn and Rand has to hook up with Aviendha at some point

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lotta talk about suicide in this ep, in various contexts. You've got Moiraine tempting Logain with it, and the whole Lan recovering from losing the bond thing which is what he's basically on suicide watch from. It's making more sense why they spent an episode on Sad Warder in S1 if this is where they wanted Lan to go in S2.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I couldn't see the saa because I watched this last night on my phone but I see it on my TV. That was really well done.

Fares Fares and Natasha are killing it. Anvaere Damodred is really well done too. "Ask me nicely over some tea" :vince:

Lots of TAR in this ep, I wonder when they're gonna spell that out.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 8, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ Oh yeah, and I loved her verbal fencing with Moiraine and what a picture the show is painting of Moiraine here that I don't think was even in the books, between what Alanna told Lan about her and what we hear from Anvaere here—that Moiraine has gone totally cold and clinical in recent years and alienated everyone she ostensibly needs help from. The texture of that last Anvaere conversation is one of the most "Jordan"-feeling things to have been made up from whole cloth

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

About those scenes:
After this episode, I think it very likely that Moiraine and Siuan weren't Accepted when they heard the Foretelling. It would be another very interesting departure from the books. I always thought that Moiraine and Siuan actually being relatively young for Aes Sedai, but being in such positions of power and influence didn't really work.

Also, this episode makes it very clear that Liandrin is Black Ajah. Just to have it in writing ;)

Another important deviation from the books: information is flowing freely, everyone is talking and keeping in touch with each other. Except for information deliberately being hidden of course (Rand is alive).

Random prediction time: Rand is going to bring Logain with him to Falme.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DTurtle posted:

Also, this episode makes it very clear that Liandrin is Black Ajah. Just to have it in writing ;)

I appreciated that she changed outfits to keep up the colour coded costumes

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, I don’t think we’re getting Asmodean - he’s probably one of the cut forsaken. Seems likely that Logain just sticks around as a tutor and eventually the Black Tower storyline plays out (assuming the show sticks around).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I wouldn't rule out Asmo just yet. Logain may be just to give him the basics and some control.

The official account was making a big deal about those 8 forsaken statues from S1, and 8 statues in Ishy's TAR abode. One of the easiest to distinguish was the one holding a lute or guitar.

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1698382995550577026?s=20

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DTurtle posted:

Another important deviation from the books: information is flowing freely, everyone is talking and keeping in touch with each other

"Reports" from eyes and ears and crows were in the books were they not? Didn't forkroot lady in whatever little town that was send off a crow message to somebody?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hexel posted:

"Reports" from eyes and ears and crows were in the books were they not? Didn't forkroot lady in whatever little town that was send off a crow message to somebody?

Yeah the Aes Sedai had a vast spy network but it ended up producing a bunch of disparate rumours and they always chose to believe the ones that weren't true. Pretty much all the world leaders suffered from this problem

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hexel posted:

Reports were in there, yes. But often late, inaccurate, contradictory, etc. A lot of the conflicts and problems in the books were a result of the totally missing information exchange between allies, even after Travelling was reintroduced.

Hell, Perrin's extremely long and boring and slow-moving arc vs the Shaido could have been resolved in 10 Minutes or so with Rand's or Mat's or anyone else's help. Instead it took 4 books.

A lot of those problems felt contrived, but it seems like it was Robert Jordan's preferred mechanism in order to slow down certain plot lines or also to show how very smart people could do very dumb things (Pedron Niall).

I am very happy that they aren't leaning on that approach too strongly, while having it still be there a bit (after all, Perrin is no longer captured).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah I have no problem with information flowing better and it neatly does away with some of Jordan's more boring side plots.

Pretty sure the 2 Cadsuane name drops means she will show up in season 3. I wonder if her and Moiraine will exist at the same time. Rosamund being an executive producer and her zeal for the audio books speaks highly of her investment in the series. She also has another movie coming out on Prime this month and seems to have some sort of longterm deal in place. Jennifer Salke the Amazon Studios head is promoting it heavily. I think it's all a good sign for the longevity of the series.

Leane girlbossing and gatekeeping Liandrin was another awesome moment.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hexel posted:

Leane girlbossing and gatekeeping Liandrin was another awesome moment.

So was Liandrin’s response about how Amyrlins can change. It’s right there in the open if you know what’s coming, but non-readers have little reason to focus on one line as foreshadowing rather than mere world building. I wonder where Siuan is right now, though. There’s no reason from the books for her to be away from the Tower, is there?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's amazing how much better this season is compared to season 1. That was fantastic.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

CainFortea posted:

Just in case you're like me and didn't see it at first because your TV doesn't handle darks very well, here's an image from the very end of Episode 4.

That is a great detail.

Edit: Also, what do you think She was getting ready to do there at the end? A friend of mine thought bonding, but that seems very out of character for Lanfear. She wants LTT to admit he was wrong. Just making him say it holds no call to her.

I didn't catch it at first watching on my mediumish monitor, someone mentioned it and I went back to look. So cool

do we think she's using Mask of Mirrors? Maybe about to drop it

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Brolander posted:

do we think she's using Mask of Mirrors? Maybe about to drop it

I think it’s unlikely, because this is a live-action TV show rather than a book or an animated series. I would expect a lot of reluctance to change an actress at this point.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I wonder if the durability or speedy resurrection of the Chosen means we'll get seeing balefire soon :getin:

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

It is interesting being able to theorize about what's next in a WoT show. I am slightly worried with where they're going to take Mat but will have to see how that goes. I really liked the Min nightmare bit, they did a good job demonstrating why her power might suck to have in a very short sequence. Also I love Ishamael in his zone enjoying being an evil lord of terror.

Though did anyone notice any funny business with the editing? There was one bit with Egwene where I thought I was stroking out because they literally showed the same shot twice. And then throughout the rest of the episode I felt like I was picking up on minor discontinuities between cuts, but that might just be me hyperfixating on it because of the Egwene shot. I am a big cinematic dummy and I usually don't notice editing at all so was weird for me.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I saw the Egwene thing too and it was weird. Didn’t notice anything else aside from the (hopefully) intentional stuff with Ishy/Min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chomposaur posted:

It is interesting being able to theorize about what's next in a WoT show.

I agree. They've changed a lot, but in ways that make sense to me, so I get to be surprised by what's happening in a Wheel of Time show, but not upset about the changes (so far). It's really exciting!