Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Oh poo poo

It's not forecast to come anywhere near South Florida but I've suddenly got this itch to make sure my hurricane supplies are up to snuff for this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

How many hours did it take to go from Cat1 - Cat5?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Roughly 36.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ehud posted:

It’s hard to wrap my head around the possibility of 180mph winds.

What a terrifying storm.

:eng101: 180 knots, 207 MPH winds

That's not a hurricane, it's a city-sized tornado

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Must be time to start thinking about nuking it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goatface posted:

I believe Hurricanes work on Godzilla logic, where if you nuke them they just become more giant lizard like.

And possibly friendly? I dunno.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ElectricSheep posted:

It's not forecast to come anywhere near South Florida but I've suddenly got this itch to make sure my hurricane supplies are up to snuff for this season

:same:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

goatface posted:

your average hurricane, which this is not, releases about 1 tsar bomba's worth of energy every six minutes. It wouldn't even notice.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the only supplies you'll need are gasoline to gtfo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

goatface posted:

Fear not. I will direct it to only hit Canada with my sharpie

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

your average hurricane, which this is not, releases about 1 tsar bomba's worth of energy every six minutes. It wouldn't even notice.

Stop obstructing the progress of science edutainment.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goatface posted:

Stop obstructing the progress of science edutainment.

Hey they said it wouldn't notice, which in my mind says if you got any Tsar bombs laying you can fire em freely away an no one will care!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I for one do not welcome our new highly radioactive hellstorm overlord

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

so you're saying we're going to need a bigger bomb

i would also like to echo the sentiment that this hurricane go mess up atlantis or something and leave me alone

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just look at all these M's

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

ElectricSheep posted:

Oh poo poo

Actually south Florida is still up in the air, it's likely going to be pulled northeast before it gets to the US but a fair number of the models have it headed straight for south Florida.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Three Olives posted:

Actually south Florida is still up in the air, it's likely going to be pulled northeast before it gets to the US but a fair number of the models have it headed straight for south Florida.
What models are you looking at?

This is the model spread-

https://twitter.com/ericburriswesh/status/1700147553394635033?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

https://www.cyclocane.com/lee-spaghetti-models/

At least as I understand it, almost all the models have it getting caught up in Margot pulling it northeast, if it doesn't get caught up in Margot it heads for south Florida.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Margot isn’t the real reason for movement here. It’s the low pressure system that is going to dig in west of the storm over the southeast US.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Those models saying 200 knot speeds :eyepop: that's pacific super typhoon speed

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three Olives posted:

https://www.cyclocane.com/lee-spaghetti-models/

At least as I understand it, almost all the models have it getting caught up in Margot pulling it northeast, if it doesn't get caught up in Margot it heads for south Florida.
The only spaghet near Florida is the Extrapolated model which is just taking it's current bearing and speed and drawing it for X days.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Margot isn’t the real reason for movement here. It’s the low pressure system that is going to dig in west of the storm over the southeast US.
Yes, very vanilla steering patterns for a fish storm happening, especially at its size it's going to be hard to stop itself from turning.

Not out of the woods, stranger things have happened etc. but it should steer fairly clear. But also the fish track will still involve nasty weather for the east coast in most eventualities.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be more concerned if I lived in the NE or maritime Canada as once this moves north, there is a lot more spread in terms of track

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah I'm probably being too blase calling it a fish storm. With the current track forecasts it's gonna be lucky to clear Bermuda in a week and any models giving data past 5 days are lies and climatology so the NE and maritimes are still on the menu.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be more concerned if I lived in the NE or maritime Canada as once this moves north, there is a lot more spread in terms of track

There are also some pressure systems that would have to hit somewhat unusually for this thing to really slam the east coast. I think it will be a fish storm, but still one hell of a fish storm!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zedprime posted:

Yeah I'm probably being too blase calling it a fish storm. With the current track forecasts it's gonna be lucky to clear Bermuda in a week and any models giving data past 5 days are lies and climatology so the NE and maritimes are still on the menu.
Bermuda should be concerned

Apparently it’s weakened slightly because of some moderate shear per the NHC but it’s still a murdercane

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It also looks like it could be going directly through the Bermuda triangle, so there's a good chance it will just disappear in there never to be seen again.

:tinfoil:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
The hurricane will bring with it all the ghosts and ships from the Bermuda triangle with it instead to finally take revenge on Florida

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

The hurricane will bring with it all the ghosts and ships from the Bermuda triangle with it instead to finally take revenge on Florida
Look we already had our major hurricane for this year, by law Louisiana gets the next one

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look we already had our major hurricane for this year, by law Louisiana gets the next one

Everyone get your sharpies ready.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lord Awkward posted:

I for one absolutely do not welcome our new highly radioactive hellstorm overlord

FTFY

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Couple of cool Lee vids.

https://twitter.com/chacingthestorm/status/1700193605950824599?s=46

https://twitter.com/53rdwrs/status/1700142461404827971?s=46

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wow at both of those videos, stay out to sea lee

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know how those hurricane hunters do it. Absolutely insane.

I've had bad turbulence on airliners and one time it popped up so quick that I left the bathroom and started walking back to my seat and immediately got slammed against a wall or two before a steward tackled me and jumped on me to hold me down. The seatbelt sign turned on shortly after lol. It was the flight to boot camp and I was terrified anyway so this was just awful.

I've flown my own small aircraft in bad turbulence (Cessna 152/172 and a tiny Flight Design CTLS) and I get sick but I'm in control at least so I can just like..... leave the area and land.

These psychos fly through the eye wall of a loving hurricane on purpose. I mean, they're god drat heroes but jesus gently caress. No thank you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

These psychos fly through the eye wall of a loving hurricane on purpose. I mean, they're god drat heroes but jesus gently caress. No thank you.

There's a goon hurricane hunter who posts in GiP. His videos from his phone's camera on the plane are something to behold.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cythereal posted:

There's a goon hurricane hunter who posts in GiP. His videos from his phone's camera on the plane are something to behold.

:stare:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
the last couple posts had me curious, so i dug this up

https://www.mos.org/pulsar/hurricane-hunters-pt1 posted:

ERIC: So what is it about the planes themselves that make them able to fly through these storms? Are there any special modifications or features that make them separate from another Orion?

KEVIN: Yeah, absolutely. So the P-3 Orion that we fly is specifically designated a WP-3D Orion. The W is a reference to a weather platform. The P-3 Orion was an aircraft built for the US Navy, primarily for submarine hunting down at low altitudes. And the difference between a Navy P-3 and a NOAA P-3 is actually, they're very, very similar structurally. We've made a few changes to things that are sticking to the airplanes, which is radars and sensors and things like that. And structurally, the one thing that we really beefed up was the floorboards of the airplane just to be able to handle all the additional science gear that we carry on board. But as far as the airframe and the wings and the engines, they're all the same as a stock P-3 Orion. Granted, it was a, you know, World War II airplane that was built like a tank, which is why we like it. And you know, one of the reasons why we fly the P-3 and why it's such a great aircraft to support the work that we do is this configuration. So for engines, and very specifically for turboprop engines. So you'll notice most commercial airliners have big, what we call turbofan engines or big turbo jets. And they have these big openings and they take the air and they squeeze it and they explode it and they shoot it out the back and they make thrust. And those work great, but not if you're flying through a bathtub. So what we have is a jet engine with a propeller bolted to it, called the turboprop airplane, and the turboprops handle the rain ingestion to the motors much better than a turbofan engine does. And the other thing that we really liked about the P-3 is its responsiveness to power level changes. So on a jet engine, if you're on Southwest Airlines, you can get ready to take off and the pilots put the engines to max takeoff power, or you hear the engines go zzzzzzZZZZZ and they kind of spool up and sometimes it takes eight to ten seconds. In our aircraft, when we push the power levers forward, we have an instantaneous reaction. So when we have an updraft or downdraft or big fan of turbulence, we can quickly react to it and keep the plane flying safely.

ERIC: So it's constant corrections as you're dealing with the changing conditions?

KEVIN: Absolutely. We specifically have a crew member in the front. So we have a pilpt on the left seat, a pilot in the right seat. And in the middle seat, we have a person who is called a flight engineer. And the flight engineer's job in the storm environment is actually to physically manipulate the power levers to maintain a set airspeed. And that's their whole job, is reacting to those winds to make sure the airplane stays at a very specific speed that keeps the airplane safe.

the interview also mentions that they fly at about 8000-10000 feet which is supposed to be the calmer part to enter a hurricane

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The weather underground guy (no, the other one) retired from the military to pursue civilian meteorology degrees when the hurricane hunter he was on accidentally flew into cat 5 Hugo at 1500ft and had to circle around the eye for an hour doing damage control and climbing to an actual sane height.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

FlamingLiberal posted:

On the topic of equal representation in hurricane law

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

The weather underground guy (no, the other one) retired from the military to pursue civilian meteorology degrees when the hurricane hunter he was on accidentally flew into cat 5 Hugo at 1500ft and had to circle around the eye for an hour doing damage control and climbing to an actual sane height.

That was a great episode of Air Disasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cthulu Carl posted:

That was a great episode of Air Disasters

I’d love to watch this, do you happen to have a link handy?